Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Colts take RB at 26 they are going to the SB

Guess who the Colts drafted in 1971. Yep. A RB. Don McCauley at #22 in rd 1. That is crazy. Now it makes me wonder how many times a RB was drafted and we didn't make it.

Edit: It's happened 9 times when we didn't make it. 7 times in Baltimore (53, 56, 61, 67, 70, 79, 80) and twice in Indy (93 Faulk and 99 Edge)

It would make sense if we didn’t have Mack. But a RB first round when you have Mack seems crazy.

Mt opinion a running back should never be taken in the first round unless your a team ready to win a SB. They just don’t play long enough and if you have a good oline you can get a great RB after the second round. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SC-Coltsfan said:

Guess who the Colts drafted in 1971. Yep. A RB. Don McCauley at #22 in rd 1. That is crazy. Now it makes me wonder how many times a RB was drafted and we didn't make it.

1999 comes to mind. That loss to TEN was disappointing.

Just now, chad72 said:

It has to be true. Patriots select Sony Michel in round 1 and went to the SB too.

:omg:

Those darn Patriots could have selected Al Bundy and gone to the SB. He once scored 4 touchdowns in a single game.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Wow!  Talk about so many coincidences.  There is a saying about history repeating itself and they really like Jacobs.  So maybe a three peat is in the making. 

Those Peyton led teams should have gone to more SBs, if Peyton and the O had played up to the capital invested in them more often, IMO. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Those Peyton led teams should have gone to more SBs, if Peyton and the O had played up to the capital invested in them more often, IMO. 

Yeah, Manning was great, but there were so many years they choked away Super Bowl appearances.  It was truly a waste.  

• Like 1

I was a Colts fan for a lot of years between Unitas and Manning and except for a few years with Bert Jones it was a major struggle. The years with Peyton were far from a waste - a lot of wins, a lot of division championships and two trips to the Super Bowl, plus we were a contender every year for over a decade.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

It would make sense if we didn’t have Mack. But a RB first round when you have Mack seems crazy.

Mt opinion a running back should never be taken in the first round unless your a team ready to win a SB. They just don’t play long enough and if you have a good oline you can get a great RB after the second round. 

I'm fine with 1st rd rb if he is a beast

8 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t think there is any chance a RB is the best player available at 26. I do like the Miami thing though.

The Miami thing holds regardless of whether the Colts also draft a RB in the preceding draft.  Super Bowls III and V were also played in Miami by the Baltimore Colts.   Every time the Colts have played in the Super Bowl has been in Miami.    

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

I'm fine with 1st rd RB if he's a beast AND we don't already have a top 10 RB

Pairing  a 1st round rb with mack would give us a running game to be feared  and would open up the passing game more

14 hours ago, Stephen said:

Pairing  a 1st round rb with mack would give us a running game to be feared  and would open up the passing game more

Having a top 10 RB would give us a running game to be feared and would open up the passing game more

15 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I'm fine with a 1st Rd RB if everyone else disappears like Avengers Endgame. 1) Thanos snaps fingers: 2) Jacobs is ALL that is left. 3) Good pick Chris.

Isn't that the Avengers Infinity Wars? I haven't seen the Avengers Endgame which is to be released this Friday.

If you are a spoiler, no spoilers, please!!! :) 

19 hours ago, atapcl said:

We can’t run all game. We need defense to stop people.

Interesting tidbit: NE has never won a SB with a defense ranked worse than 8th in points allowed.

Now, that’s not a coincidence.

Getting push up the middle trumps RB, IMO. That and getting depth, in case key guys go down. I like Wilkins, Hines and a mid to late round bruiser, should Mack get hurt.

6 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Interesting tidbit: NE has never won a SB with a defense ranked worse than 8th in points allowed.

Now, that’s not a coincidence.

Getting push up the middle trumps RB, IMO. That and getting depth, in case key guys go down. I like Wilkins, Hines and a mid to late round bruiser, should Mack get hurt.

the patriots drafted a running back in the first round last year too