Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Erickson] Clayton Geathers is finalizing a deal to return to the Colts (Merge)

DaveA1102

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is great. I still think drafting a safety high in the draft is a must.  Maybe that would help Geathers stay healthy if he shared time with another player.

We still have Farley correct? He's at least serviceable as a third safety. I do believe Ballard will draft one as well, just not sure if it will be early. Maybe with one of our 4th rounders. 

• Like 2

Just now, dew5150 said:

I'm going to guess 3 or 4 year deal worth 7.5 million per year.

With this long into free agency, and the fact that he saw his market elsewhere and didn't sign, I would think it's more along the lines of 1-2 year deal, worth 4 mil per. 

• Like 2

At least Geathers now knows what his market truly was. Melvin was too proud to admit he was wrong about inflating his own value and chose to go else where. Geathers and Desir probably now know Ballard was not truly low balling them. It just takes one team to outbid you though, so the Colts should consider themselves lucky on that front with our own free agents.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

So, actually Ballard has been active in free agency, just not necessarily with other team's free agents.

Only two of those players actually made it to FA. I think Ballard has been in on players...but I am surprised that the Colts weren't tied to more players this year...like they have been in the past.

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

We still have Farley correct? He's at least serviceable as a third safety. I do believe Ballard will draft one as well, just not sure if it will be early. Maybe with one of our 4th rounders. 

Yeah Farley is back and Ballard has said numerous times how much he values Farley. 

He is a big community guy as well which is important in this current locker room.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

With this long into free agency, and the fact that he saw his market elsewhere and didn't sign, I would think it's more along the lines of 1-2 year deal, worth 4 mil per. 

Unless Ballard is feeling generous...it should be something similar to the Haha Clinton-Dix deal...considering Dix is a better player...and doesn't miss games every year.

8 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

For Geathers? I (hopefully) doubt that. You don't sit back and wait for Geathers to come back...only to sign him to a deal like that.

That's what Tashaun Gipson got and Geathers is just as good as him when healthy.

13 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Only two of those players actually made it to FA. I think Ballard has been in on players...but I am surprised that the Colts weren't tied to more players this year...like they have been in the past.

Me too.   Absolutely.   But I think there was so much $$$$ to spend that prices got way out of control.   I think Ballard found himself dropping out of bidding wars. 

16 minutes ago, dew5150 said:

I'm going to guess 3 or 4 year deal worth 7.5 million per year.

My sides hurt from laughing. More like 3-4 years with 3-4 million a year.

0 career INTs. With all respect, the defense was far improved when Mike Mitchell stepped in; hope the latter gets re-signed.

1 minute ago, rock8591 said:

0 career INTs. With all respect, the defense was far improved when Mike Mitchell stepped in; hope the latter gets re-signed.

I'd guess 2 yrs $6 mil. with incentives to hit $7-8 mil.

• Like 2

I wonder if Geathers basically gave the Colts the opportunity to match any deal offered by another team.

Regardless if this report is accurate I am happy because as long as we bring Geathers back we didn't get any worse in FA and got mildly better. 

9 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Why are you rating Clayton Geather's career based on INT's?   That is not, and has never been, his game.

Let's cut Ryan Kelly.....3 years in the league and not a single catch! 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, dew5150 said:

That's what Tashaun Gipson got and Geathers is just as good as him when healthy.

Gipson plays a different position...and was a Pro Bowler at age 24. Had 20 PDs and 11 INTs in his age 23-24 seasons.

No way Geathers is perceived as "as good as Gipson" was. Gipson was sought after and signed very early in FA.

3 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

Why are you rating Clayton Geather's career based on INT's?   That is not, and has never been, his game.

At least Geathers is eligible to catch the ball.

I agree that it's not a big part of his game...but this should also be a big factor in how he gets paid IMO. He's a DB that doesn't make plays in the passing game...in a pass-heavy league. 

• Like 2

I like the kid, great for the locker room, but I don't think he is our future at safety. He can't stay healthy, can't rely on him and not above average at coverage. I think he is resigned more for his leadership and character than his ability. CB values turnovers a lot, key to a secondary player and Geathers is just not that guy.

Like us bringing him back, but definitely would like to add to the depth at safety. He won't be our starter in 2 years.

I wonder if anyone would consider putting him in as a full time LB?!:thinking:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

Strawman argument.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rayski said:

I like the kid, great for the locker room, but I don't think he is our future at safety. He can't stay healthy, can't rely on him and not above average at coverage. 

Like us bringing him back, but definitely would like to add to the depth at safety. He won't be our starter in 2 years.

I wonder if anyone would consider putting him in as a full time LB?!:thinking:

I said the same thing last season, so you're not alone in that line of thinking

3 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Strawman argument.

89 tackles in 12 games last season. He's a run stuffing SS. INT's are not his game. I'm glad we're resigning him. However, I do agree that he's not elite by any means and hope we draft a SS to groom and eventually take over starting duties. I'd much rather see Geathers in a rotational role.