Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Erickson] Clayton Geathers is finalizing a deal to return to the Colts (Merge)

DaveA1102

9 minutes ago, ColtV said:

Exactly. The feelings of fans should be nothing more than to rubber stamp the moves made by the team without question

Nice use of sarcasm....  using an emoji is always helpful.    :thmup:

And I never said or implied that you can't question the moves of the GM without question.   If you follow my posts at all,  you'd know that I question the GM,  this one or Grigson, all the time.

But the poster I was responding to wasn't publicly questioning the GM.    He was insulting the posters here who are happy with the decision.    And it didn't even occur to him that by insulting the fans,  he was also knocking the GM.     I was trying to point that out.    That poster is now singing a different tune...

9 minutes ago, ColtV said:

Exactly. The feelings of fans should be nothing more than to rubber stamp the moves made by the team without question

No one's against constructive criticism (I don't really get the 2nd round tender on Rogers), but having all 11 starters back on an incredibly young unit that's only going to get better isn't a bad thing, no matter how you slice it. That's not to say that we can't make an upgrade or 2 amongst the starters, but having everyone back is huge IMO.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Let's be fair...a one year deal =/= infatuated.

He let Geathers test the market until he came back and signed a cheap, low-risk deal. Ballard played it like he should.

Exactly! like I said the other day Geathers is a JAG. But if we are going to sign a JAG may as well sign one from your system instead. But just because Ballard was wanting to re-sign Getahers means he is infatuated with him I guess. even if it is a  little one year deal.

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Nice use of sarcasm....  using an emoji is always helpful.    :thmup:

And I never said or implied that you can't question the moves of the GM without question.   If you follow my posts at all,  you'd know that I question the GM,  this one or Grigson, all the time.

But the poster I was responding to wasn't publicly questioning the GM.    He was insulting the posters here who are happy with the decision.    And it didn't even occur to him that by insulting the fans,  he was also knocking the GM.     I was trying to point that out.    That poster is now singing a different tune...

Thats dumb and not true. I'm knocking Geathers. Not Ballard. I don't believe he should have been re-signed. You made the stupid analogy of me knocking the GM. You can question the GM but when I question bringing a player back it is something different? Furthermore, I haven't changed any tune. I said you can believe in Ballard, thats good for you. I never told you not to. I will continue to voice my opinion just like I am sure you will. However, dont try to twist my words or make them what they aren't

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

Exactly! like I said the other day Geathers is a JAG. But if we are going to sign a JAG may as well sign one from your system instead. But just because Ballard was wanting to re-sign Getahers means he is infatuated with him I guess. even if it is a  little one year deal.

Ballard is not infatuated with Geathers....   if he was,  he likely would've signed him before letting him test the market.

All I was trying to tell the poster I was responding to,  that Ballard likes him,  respects him,  and wants Geathers back on the team,  starting at Strong Safety.    

You think Geathers is a JAG.    Based on what Ballard has both said and done with Geathers,  I'm quite confident that Ballard doesn't think Geathers is a JAG.    Not at all.

• Like 1

Just now, Mr.Debonair said:

Thats dumb and not true. I'm knocking Geathers. Not Ballard. I don't believe he should have been re-signed. You made the stupid analogy of me knocking the GM. You can question the GM but when I question bringing a player back it is something different? Furthermore, I have changed any tune? I said you can believe in Ballard, thats good for you. I never told you not to. I will continue to voice my opinion just like I am sure you will. However, dont try to twist my words or make them what they aren't

Honestly,  I don't think you have the first clue as to what you wrote,  or what you meant....

But carry on....    have fun here...

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ballard is not infatuated with Geathers....   if he was,  he likely would've signed him before letting him test the market.

All I was trying to tell the poster I was responding to,  that Ballard likes him,  respects him,  and wants Geathers back on the team,  starting at Strong Safety.    

You think Geathers is a JAG.    Based on what Ballard has both said and done with Geathers,  I'm quite confident that Ballard doesn't think Geathers is a JAG.    Not at all.

In almost certain he wont start next year cause the way the draft seems to be looking we may very well be taking one of the top Safties at 26 or 34. I would be very disappointed if we started a poor coverage safety over a young player with superior talent.

11 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

In almost certain he wont start next year cause the way the draft seems to be looking we may very well be taking one of the top Safties at 26 or 34. I would be very disappointed if we started a poor coverage safety over a young player with superior talent.

I could easily be wrong,  and often am....

But I think you're going to be disappointed.    I don't think we've signed CG to return as a back-up to a rookie,  talented or otherwise.

As I said,  I don't rule out the possibility that I'm wrong and you're right.    Just going by hunch.

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

As far as anyone knows,  he hasn't signed anything yet.

Still negotiating was all that's out there that I've seen....

Holder said they agreed on a one year deal, but its not signed yet

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

A couple of thoughts Shasta:

1. Clinton Dix is not a better player than Geathers. Period. He has been healthier, though. 

2. I agree that Geathers won't break the bank. Because of his injury history, he's not likely to get more than a 1-2 year deal with some strong incentives baked in. 

3. I would be shocked if the Colts don't grab a SS some time in Day 2 of the draft. That player will likely be seen as Geathers' replacement in the not too distant future. 

If Ballard chooses 3rd or 4th round for a safety I wonder if the kid from Alabama Deionte Thompson (ran a 4.46 40 ) might be worth a look 6-2 197-200 lbs . (Waltersdraft.com has him as a 3rd or 4th rounder )

11 minutes ago, HOF19 said:

If Ballard chooses 3rd or 4th round for a safety I wonder if the kid from Alabama Deionte Thompson (ran a 4.46 40 ) might be worth a look 6-2 197-200 lbs . (Waltersdraft.com has him as a 3rd or 4th rounder )

I suspect Thompson will be taken no later than mid 2nd round. If I'm wrong, and he's around late in the 2nd round, he might just be a Colt!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Legend of Luck said:

I absolutely love this. And I love our safety room, especially at the value in which we have them at. 

I feel really really good entering the season with Hooker, Clayton, and Farley as our 3 top safeties. Wouldn't mind a Day 3 rookie being added.

If we aren’t going safety in the first 3 rounds, we already have our day 3 safety here in Odum. Honestly, Farley could also take that next step up if used this season as well if called upon as he has a pretty good game. Of course he too has some injury concerns though. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Legend of Luck said:

I absolutely love this. And I love our safety room, especially at the value in which we have them at. 

I feel really really good entering the season with Hooker, Clayton, and Farley as our 3 top safeties. Wouldn't mind a Day 3 rookie being added.

Sounds about right what I was thinking

56 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Glad to have Geathers back.

I don't think this stops us from drafting a safety if the board falls a certain way, whether it be in the 1st, 2nd, or wherever. It's a really solid group in this draft.

Ditto

55 minutes ago, ColtV said:

Although that would make it pretty boring around here, it certainly would make more sense to me from a legit approach stance than say....criticizing a GM of the year before anything is actually proven.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

It is funny to me that everyone gets on his  injury history but not on Hookers. Hooker only played one more game then and Geathers  was actually there for the colts in KC. 

I think the reason being is that Hooker is a better overall player than Geathers, but I definitely see the comparison there. Geathers will be a good mentor to one of the safeties we draft this year. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Honestly,  I don't think you have the first clue as to what you wrote,  or what you meant....

But carry on....    have fun here...

I recently decided to buy some cheap tires. They are ok against a dry road but suck in wet weather. Now i'm not knocking the buyer, just knocking the tires.

Know what i mean?    :spit:    Or ?  

5 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I recently decided to buy some cheap tires. They are ok against a dry road but suck in wet weather. Now i'm not knocking the buyer, just knocking the tires.

Sorry...    but at age 62, I’m a little old and slow!     

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

And I’d be very disappointed if we took a safety at 26 or 34. Maybe 3rd or 4th round.

Increase the pressure on the qb and watch how good the secondary can be, including Geathers.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Bahahaha this is awesome :-)

Though I will say this:

If I were buying cheap tires and then you said "why the heck are you buying those cheap tires. they suck. buy these instead"

I would feel like i had to defend myself and justify it.

And then if you kept attacking the tires and my decision it wouldn't feel like the tires being the issue anymore :-)

Good thing I don't buy cheap tires  :-P

All this talk about infatuation and stuff like that.....

Do you people not remember the reason he got hurt?

He layed the wood on a Titans runningback that won the game for us and subsequently caused him a SERIOUS neck injury and almost his career.

He rehabilitated his * off to get back on that field - and he did.

He should be looked at with a bit more reverence and respect than a lot of folks don't show.

Is he Bob Sanders, no. But he is effective as the nickel and dime backer and plays that role well. 

Ballard will most certainly draft another SS this year, but, if Geathers balls out he'll likely get another contract just as Hunt and Desir earned....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry...    but at age 62, I’m a little old and slow!     

It's some stupid smart butt comment about the people who want to replace geathers. He has never added anything worthwhile to the forum other than wise butt remarks since I've been here.

19 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

And I’d be very disappointed if we took a safety at 26 or 34. Maybe 3rd or 4th round.

Increase the pressure on the qb and watch how good the secondary can be, including Geathers.

So you would rather reach for a need than take a stud at a different position? Terrible draft strategy. Everyone here seems to think we are getting some stud edge rusher at 26 or 34 and its not happening. all players around that range have major flaws in their games plus we still have a 2nd round pick in Turray that could also develop next year.

2 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

So you would rather reach for a need than take a stud at a different position? Terrible draft strategy. Everyone here seems to think we are getting some stud edge rusher at 26 or 34 and its not happening. all players around that range have major flaws in their games plus we still have a 2nd round pick in Turray that could also develop next year.

I wouldn't be so quick at assuming Ballard can't find a pass rusher at 26 or 34 if that is the route he goes.

You have to keep in mind that Ballard don't go with the popular picks and his short draft history with the Colts shows that.

I read all these mock drafts and different opinions of who should be taken when and where but I have realized that Ballard beats to a different drum.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

I wouldn't be so quick at assuming Ballard can't find a pass rusher at 26 or 34 if that is the route he goes.

You have to keep in mind that Ballard don't go with the popular picks and his short draft history with the Colts shows that.

I read all these mock drafts and different opinions of who should be taken when and where but I have realized that Ballard beats to a different drum.

Well I also am higher on Turray than most I think he will be very good. I dont think Ballard is gonna look to stop his development by taking a edge early to take his PT. I do think we get an Edge but it will be later on in the draft and try to find a gem 

15 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Yeah...I don't agree with the idea that S isn't a need.

Turay was a 2nd round pick who schooled HOFer Jason Peters TWICE. He has a lot of upside...but nearly everyone agrees they need DE.

At the other S position, they currently have a 27 year-old injury-prone S who (I think) is maybe a bit above replacement level...and another 27 year-old S who ended up on IR last year. Yet people don't think S is a need.

I think it's safe to say they need both S and DE.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

All this talk about infatuation and stuff like that.....

Do you people not remember the reason he got hurt?

He layed the wood on a Titans runningback that won the game for us and subsequently caused him a SERIOUS neck injury and almost his career.

He rehabilitated his * off to get back on that field - and he did.

He should be looked at with a bit more reverence and respect than a lot of folks don't show.

Is he Bob Sanders, no. But he is effective as the nickel and dime backer and plays that role well. 

Ballard will most certainly draft another SS this year, but, if Geathers balls out he'll likely get another contract just as Hunt and Desir earned....

You can have reverence for Geathers...and still want to upgrade his spot (from a football perspective). 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Yeah...I don't agree with the idea that S isn't a need.

Turay was a 2nd round pick who schooled HOFer Jason Peters TWICE. He has a lot of upside...but nearly everyone agrees they need DE.

At the other S position, they currently have a 27 year-old injury-prone S who (I think) is maybe a bit above replacement level...and another 27 year-old S who ended up on IR last year. Yet people don't think S is a need.

I think it's safe to say they need both S and DE.

Trust me I'm on the exact same page as you brother. If we wanna look at a pass rushing DT early in the 2nd then I'm on board with that but I honestly think S is prolly one of the best values at 26. when all the better Pass rushers and DTs have been taken the best Safties will be right there for the taking.

5 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

A good pass rusher will make the job of Ss and CBs a lot easier though. 

Count me in the camp to go S in rounds 3 or later.

Again who is the GOOD pass rusher you are getting at 26?? We are not picking in the top 10.

Also who is to say Turray wont be providing that pass rush next year??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

Although that would make it pretty boring around here, it certainly would make more sense to me from a legit approach stance than say....criticizing a GM of the year before anything is actually proven.

I don't think being GM of the year should bar anyone from criticism, although yes without contract details it is too early. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Again who is the GOOD pass rusher you are getting at 26?? We are not picking in the top 10

I was gonna quote one of your first posts and say that I didn't think too many people expected a stud edge rusher to be there at #26...but apparently I was wrong.

Like you and Shasta said, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Safety is our best value left at #26. And I could see WR being our best value at #34 too. Of course, Ballard's gonna have his own board, but I don't see him reaching for a need if he has a Safety/WR/or whatever rated much higher than what's left on the DL at #26 or #34. If it's close in terms of their ratings then sure, he'll probably lean toward the trenches, but who knows.

• Like 2