Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is it time we started thanking Josh McDaniels?

Mouthfire

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Unpopular opinion: We'd probably be doing just as well with McDaniels. His offensive approach would have yielded similar results with the same OL coach, and we already had the DC in place. 

Actually that notion makes the whole situation even sweeter

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

Unpopular opinion: We'd probably be doing just as well with McDaniels. His offensive approach would have yielded similar results with the same OL coach, and we already had the DC in place. 

9 minutes ago, Nadine said:

Actually that notion makes the whole situation even sweeter

gotta agree with the Boss Lady.  That said, I don't think McDaniels would be doing as well.  

18 minutes ago, Superman said:

I agree with this sentiment....especially with the way Luck is playing. And team offense metrics back that up as well...as both NE and IND are ranked eerily similar across many offense metrics...with IND surpassing NE after they layed a stinker against TEN and the Colts blew TEN out.

I think SOS wise...NE has had it tougher. They have also dealt with their share of issues...like Edelman suspension, Michel injury, Gronk being a shell of himself, etc.

So it's conceivable that the offense would be performing as well with McDaniels.

But we were never going to know anyways...because I don't believe McDaniels was ever coming here. It seemed so unreal at the time...given the histories...and in hindsight it was.

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

Purely Xs and Os you might be right but I think the difference is in how the team would have reacted to the manchild that is McDaniels at 1-5 for example... I can so easily imagine how he would lose the team in incredibly short period of time. 

Nothing of the sort is close to happening with Reich. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Purely Xs and Os you might be right but I think the difference is in how the team would have reacted to the manchild that is McDaniels at 1-5 for example... I can so easily imagine how he would lose the team in incredibly short period of time. 

Team never quit at 1-5. Now we don’t know what McD would be like if he was our coach, but I doubt we’d see such a brotherhood being developed here.

• Like 4

Most of us just wanted McDaniels for the offense, not his leadership or head coaching skills.  Today, we have an offense that's as good or better, so I'm glad we didn't go down the path.

McDaniels did give us DeGuglielmo.  That's working out pretty well, and I think Eberflus will be fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mouthfire said:

?

You are just now thinking  of thanking JM.  That ship sailed more than 10 weeks ago. As far as DeGugglielmo and Eberus goes your selling Ballards  part in these hires way short., and Frank had to bless these hires after he arrived. We are very LUCKY too have a man of FR's integrity, knowledge and football experience as our head Coach. It is easy to see how much the Football Community respects him too...……. Just Sayin

22 minutes ago, DraftMaster said:

Watch McDaniels go to the Browns after passing up ANDREW LUCK.

That actually wouldn't be a bad gig. Be the one to take CLE back to prominence. Some very good weapons on offense as well...Mayfield, Chubb, Landry, Njoku.

But yeah...passing up the chance to coach Luck would look questionable...especially since he has basically took his game to another level.

38 minutes ago, Superman said:

If it were only that simple, would he be calling plays as well as Frank is? Would he build a healthy locker room environment? How would players take to his personality. You may be right, or maybe the team wouldn’t take to his coaching style and we collapse after a 1-5 start. We will never know, I’m glad it ended up how it did. 

Just now, shastamasta said:

That actually wouldn't be a bad gig. Be the one to take CLE back to prominence. Some very good weapons on offense as well...Mayfield, Chubb, Landry, Njoku.

But yeah...passing up the chance to play with Luck would look questionable...especially since he has basically took his game to another level.

I was trying to think of another coach that would get fired but all of them are 1st or 2nd year coaches so I just said the Browns, but it's still a good gig, but not as good as Indy. If he goes somewhere and fails while the Colts win a SB that would be great!

17 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yes, I just don't think we should have been 1-5 to begin with. I think a few different bounces would have had us 3-2. Not blaming Reich, but the rough start was somewhat avoidable. 

Long term, direction of the franchise, leadership, etc., the betrayal makes it clear that McDaniels wasn't the right guy, and probably wouldn't have handled a slow start as well as Reich has. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, MightyLucks said:

If it were only that simple, would he be calling plays as well as Frank is? Would he build a healthy locker room environment? How would players take to his personality. You may be right, or maybe the team wouldn’t take to his coaching style and we collapse after a 1-5 start. We will never know, I’m glad it ended up how it did. 

Yeah, like Nadine was implying (I think), it's hard to imagine anyone getting more out of this team than Reich is right now, so the fact that things went sideways in such a dramatic way, but still wound up so well, no one can complain about the way it's turning out. I don't think anyone would have thumbed their nose at 5-5 with really good OL play for six weeks and Luck looking as good or better than he ever has.

Also, I had allowed myself to be convinced that McDaniels had grown up and was ready to lead a program for real. He proved me very wrong; I'm just glad he backed out before he had a chance to bring his cowardice to the facility.

That it went so poorly with McDaniels, but we still probably got the best guy for the job, well, we lucked out for sure. Reich just happened to decline any interest during the playoffs, then the Eagles went all the way to the SB, then we wound up opening the search back up right when he was ready to consider a new opportunity. It all worked out, thankfully.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Popular opinion based on nothing but intuition: with McDaniels we would have no more than 2 wins this season and reports of players wanting out and the rumor mill saying Luck's dad wants him out of Indy before next year.

I think my opinion is way way more likely than yours. Again based on nothing but common intuition and I never liked the guy to begin with. (I was one of the very few filled with dread on the supposed hire) 

13 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

Popular opinion based on nothing but intuition: with McDaniels we would have no more than 2 wins this season and reports of players wanting out and the rumor mill saying Luck's dad wants him out of Indy before next year.

I think my opinion is way way more likely than yours. Again based on nothing but common intuition and I never liked the guy to begin with. (I was one of the very few filled with dread on the supposed hire) 

tenor.gif

We'll obviously never know. I just know that I always felt the offense could make immediate improvement, and I'm pretty sure McDaniels' system would have been just as positive as Reich's has been.

The intangibles are a different story.

5 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Blue colored glasses aside, my gut tells me that Frank is exceeding what Mcd would or could have done. That is based on players response to a coaches persona.

That is my opinion. 

The one we should be thanking is Ballard. He was dealt a losing hand and then drew a pair of aces. He was prepared to handle it and did.

• Thanks 2