Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Holder on Lewis

Fluke_33

I was listening to Stephen holder on the stampede blue podcast.  He said the colts have been raving about tyquan Lewis to the extent that they are saying he will have a similar impact as Nelson and Leonard.   That sounds outlandish to me.  Those two were rookies of the month.  

Do we really have anothr waiting in the wings?  I’m loving this season as it is but can’t wait to see Lewis now too.  

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I was listening to Stephen holder on the stampede blue podcast.  He said the colts have been raving about tyquan Lewis to the extent that they are saying he will have a similar impact as Nelson and Leonard.   That sounds outlandish to me.  Those two were rookies of the month.  

Do we really have anothr waiting in the wings?  I’m loving this season as it is but can’t wait to see Lewis now too.  

I’d have to see it to believe it. He was maybe the 3rd best pass rusher on his team at Ohio State.

17 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’d have to see it to believe it. He was maybe the 3rd best pass rusher on his team at Ohio State.

Of course.  Exciting though if they are talking like that.  

He was only 3rd best.  I thought holder said he was 5th all time for the school in sacks. Maybe I misheard or misunderstood that part. 

2 minutes ago, Douzer said:

He's still a rookie, who's never played a snap in the NFL. I'm very optimistic about him, but there way too much hype being pumped out for my taste.

I agree.  Just seems so unlike this team to extol about a player that way so I’m assuming there’s something to it.  

We will see soon enough. 

7 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

He was projected to go in the 4th round so the scouts and Ballard must have really really liked him to trade up into the 2nd to take him. 

Possibly had intel that someone else loved him, too.

4 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

Ballard was on the local radio last week raving about him.  Made him sound like he's has potential to be a great 3-Tech and has the typical build the Colts want.  We'll just have to wait and see how he plays.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

He was projected to go in the 4th round so the scouts and Ballard must have really really liked him to trade up into the 2nd to take him. 

To be sure,  it was a trade up....    but it was only about 3-4 spaces.    We traded up to pick 64, the last spot in the 2nd round.    

But I'd agree,  yes,  we really liked him.  

As for projections of 4th round,  I'd say that's mostly what we saw for Leonard for most of the run-up to the draft.    Sometimes those projections are just flat-out wrong.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

To be sure,  it was a trade up....    but it was only about 3-4 spaces.    We traded up to pick 64, the last spot in the 2nd round.    

As for projections of 4th round,  I'd say that's mostly what we saw for Leonard for most of the run-up to the draft.    Sometimes those projections are just flat-out wrong.

hah, indeed they are.  I was more on the wait and see what he does train with Darius Leonard.  Others were like, "why the heck did we get this guy???"

One thing I did think was going to happen is Leonard was going to start lol.  He wasn't going to be a project.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Douzer said:

He's still a rookie, who's never played a snap in the NFL. I'm very optimistic about him too, but there is way too much hype being pumped out for my taste.

3 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

I agree.  Just seems so unlike this team to extol about a player that way so I’m assuming there’s something to it.  

We will see soon enough. 

To be fair, they did get to see him play vrs our o-line starters in TC, And was reportedly doing extremely well before his toe injury.  So our coaches did get an extended look at him and have already made up their minds on his abilities.  They obviously seen star power there. They had him playing both DT and DE, saying he excelled in both areas.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

Of course.  Exciting though if they are talking like that.  

He was only 3rd best.  I thought holder said he was 5th all time for the school in sacks. Maybe I misheard or misunderstood that part. 

They said he was top 5 all time...... Which he wasnt

He WAS a rotational player, and didnt see the 4th quarter in a few games if I remember correctly as they were blowing out some folks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

They said he was top 5 all time...... Which he wasnt

He WAS a rotational player, and didnt see the 4th quarter in a few games if I remember correctly as they were blowing out some folks

I don’t watch much college ball so I don’t know about being 3rd best on that team but I just looked it up and he is 5th in sacks all time for the school

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/big-ten/leaders/sacks-player-career.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

They obviously seen star power there

I know two things:

1.  Ballard has been a straight shooter with pretty much everything he's said since day 1. Very little hype or misdirection or b.s.  

2.  After seeing the production and potential of the three picks before Lewis, ALL of whom were critiqued as being picked too high by various sources, I think most here will agree Ballard and the coaching staff has earned some benefit of the doubt. Lewis is getting more hype than Leonard did. Think about that.  So yeah I'm pumped and I don't apologize for the optimism! :goodluck:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Fluke_33 said:

I don’t watch much college ball so I don’t know about being 3rd best on that team but I just looked it up and he is 5th in sacks all time for the school

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/big-ten/leaders/sacks-player-career.html

that's for the big ten conference overall.  not just the school.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

I looked at

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/forum/ohio-state-football/2015/03/51418/career-sacks-ohio-states-leaders

Then I saw the date...........  :(

Good catch

I hope the guy can make a difference

We have had very little rush the past few weeks

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

How about  those "projected " to go like early second and go in the fourth ? You see it all the time and need to take the pendants projections with a grain of salt. Teams don't make their draft boards public ....

17 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

2nd to probably a top 3 draft pick in Bosa.   I’d take that any day.  

Was that the podcast where Holder kept calling him Tyquan Smith?  

10 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

2nd to probably a top 3 draft pick in Bosa.   I’d take that any day.  

Was that the podcast where Holder kept calling him Tyquan Smith?  

It’s on the stampede blue pod cast.  They have a mid season review that just came out. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

Most of the experts said he is more polished than turay when we picked him and were thinking he'd have a bigger impact than Turay his first year

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Walters had him going in the 6th round in their mock draft but they are generally way off in their projections.

Draft projections by the terminally clueless cannot be more meaningless.  Which is to say draft projections by anyone other than the teams are meaningless.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fluke_33 said:

It’s on the stampede blue pod cast.  They have a mid season review that just came out. 

Right, that was the one he did with Danely.  He did one by himself before that where he kept talking about Tyquan Smith.  

I had to check the roster to see if I was having a senior moment.  And I’m a Buckeye!

• Thanks 1