Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Polian and Dakich

Matabix

Listening to Polian on the Dakich show. 

I feel better about Ballard, Reich, Luck, Leonard and Hooker. Not that I had a bad feeling. But listening to Polian he sees stuff I don't see and he puts things in good perspective. It's worth the listen. Might calm some of us. 

Also listening to him I can see our draft next year. In order of priority. OT, DE, WR, RB, CB. DE 2nd only if your top 5 is still there to pick. Or go BA with the next 3. Starting talent OT isn't going to be there past pick 50.

No matter what our record is this year. I think we heading in the right direction. I think us as fans should support and be patient.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, #12. said:

When it comes to the draft, I see few similarities between Ballard and Polian,  so I'm not sure how much I would take away from that.  In the week leading up to the draft, Polian seemed pretty anti-Nelson.  

I agree. Polian doesn’t value the guard position as highly. 

Also our moves in free agency will greatly influence our draft priorities. 

5 minutes ago, #12. said:

When it comes to the draft, I see few similarities between Ballard and Polian,  so I'm not sure how much I would take away from that.  In the week leading up to the draft, Polian seemed pretty anti-Nelson.  

I don't believe he was anti-Nelson, he was pro-R. Smith at that position in the draft.  Which is understandable, R. Smith was a top rated LB.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Matabix said:

Listening to Polian on the Dakich show. 

I feel better about Ballard, Reich, Luck, Leonard and Hooker. Not that I had a bad feeling. But listening to Polian he sees stuff I don't see and he puts things in good perspective. It's worth the listen. Might calm some of us. 

Also listening to him I can see our draft next year. In order of priority. OT, DE, WR, RB, CB. DE 2nd only if your top 5 is still there to pick. Or go BA with the next 3. Starting talent OT isn't going to be there past pick 50.

No matter what our record is this year. I think we heading in the right direction. I think us as fans should support and be patient.

It's be nice if you hit on some of the talking points.  Not all of us are listening to the radio, so it's kinda hard to respond to, "Good interview, I feel better about our direction.  Some hints at next year's draft might include the positions we obviously need."

Not arguing, but just saying...

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I'm still pro R. Smith.

I agree Smith is a great prospect.  I do think getting Nelson and then Leonard in the second round has been good so far.  We will find out in a couple of years if it was the right decision. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

I agree Smith is a great prospect.  I do think getting Nelson and then Leonard in the second round has been good so far.  We will find out in a couple of years if it was the right decision. 

Turay has been productive....at least he is seeing the field. He has a high motor and good speed/power. He seems like a young raw Robert Mathis. I'm pleased with what he is giving us.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

I have no issues with the way the draft happened at all.  I think Nelson was a smart pick at #6.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

I don't believe he was anti-Nelson, he was pro-R. Smith at that position in the draft.  Which is understandable, R. Smith was a top rated LB.

However you want to word it is fine, but as I said, I see few similarities between Ballard and Polian.  

The two most obvious draft picks would be a top WR (I'll take either of the Ohio State WR's) and a top OT prospect.

Beyond that, Ballard et al can continue to fill in the blanks of of this defense and add a piece to each level.

With a 1st rounder, two 2nd rounders, a 3rd rounder and two 4th rounders I'm confident they will find a starter or two and solid depth in those first 6 picks...

5 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

I didn't say they were similar,  just commenting on the part about Polian being anti-Nelson.

Polian didn't believe in drafting guards high.   He did find some good ones over the years.   I was happy with the Nelson pick.   Many disagree,   but if he is our guard for 10 years,  it was a good pick

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Cynjin said:

18 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Polian didn't believe in drafting guards high.   He did find some good ones over the years.   I was happy with the Nelson pick.   Many disagree,   but if he is our guard for 10 years,  it was a good pick

That seems a little funny to me, because I don't remember Polian being that pro-LB.  The only LB I remember him drafting high was Rob Morris, and it seemed like he let a starting calibur LB leave in every offseason.  Mike Peterson, Marcus Washington, David Thornton, Cato June...

• Thanks 1

I’ve always liked Bill Polian but I disagree with a few things he said:

1. “Reggie Wayne would have made that catch.” Maybe I’m wrong but it didn’t seem like a catchable ball.

2. “Dallas Clark wouldn’t have dropped that pass”

Doyle had it, turned around and the bal was hit hard by a helmet.

3. “Leonard and Hooker are the only two playmakers on defense”. 

Hunt, Geathers, Walker, Desir, Moore and Hairston are solid.

Maybe I’m wrong but Bill kept referring back to the Manning teams and it almost sounded like he is overly critical. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

The two most obvious draft picks would be a top WR (I'll take either of the Ohio State WR's) and a top OT prospect.

Beyond that, Ballard et al can continue to fill in the blanks of of this defense and add a piece to each level.

With a 1st rounder, two 2nd rounders, a 3rd rounder and two 4th rounders I'm confident they will find a starter or two and solid depth in those first 6 picks...

He could also trade one of the 2nd rounders for a 26 yr old three down all pro RB.  That's one starter for sure and takes care of the RB need in the draft.   Then he could use a remaining 1st rounder, 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder and two 4th rounders to find another starter or two and add some solid depth.   

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

He could also trade one of the 2nd rounders for a 26 yr old three down all pro RB.  That's one starter for sure and takes care of the RB need in the draft.   Then he could use a remaining 1st rounder, 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder and two 4th rounders to find another starter or two and add some solid depth.   

Even If we trade for him there is no  guarantee that he will resign next season when he becomes a free agent 

59 minutes ago, That Guy said:

That seems a little funny to me, because I don't remember Polian being that pro-LB.  The only LB I remember him drafting high was Rob Morris, and it seemed like he let a starting calibur LB leave in every offseason.  Mike Peterson, Marcus Washington, David Thornton, Cato June...

Polian just always came off as a condescending jack wipe. How dare anyone question all his busts and overpaid players. 

37 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

1. “Reggie Wayne would have made that catch.” Maybe I’m wrong but it didn’t seem like a catchable ball.

Maybe I’m wrong but Bill kept referring back to the Manning teams and it almost sounded like he is overly critical. 

I felt he was a little over critical with specific aspects, but in general it hard to disagree with his overall assessment of our roster. He thinks we are in the bottom 3rd talent-wise but playing better than expected because of good coaching. He did acknowledge it's a building year though. 

I think he feels Colts lack playmakers on offense. He liked the fade to Hilton because he believes that Hilton is 'all the Colts got' on offense. I especially believe not having big bodied WR that can beat press coverage an get down the field is hurting us alot. I'd elevate Fountain to the 53 man roster if he is showing anything in practice.

I thought it was a very good listen. He puts things in perspective .  Even though his drafts flamed out near the end of his time in Indy, he knows his stuff.  I find him very grounded and not biased wen discussing the colts. If Luck and the offense  r playing like this in week 8 or 9 then I will b very worried.  Give them time....lots of moving parts. I think people were really not being  objective wen they thought Luck would light the league on fire week 1. People.....he just started throwing a football July 2018.  

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Polian just always came off as a condescending jack wipe. How dare anyone question all his busts and overpaid players. 

Be that all as it may...the man is the only GM in Indianapolis Colts history thus far to bring home a Lombardi.  So he did more things right than wrong.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

I felt he was a little over critical with specific aspects, but in general it hard to disagree with his overall assessment of our roster. He thinks we are in the bottom 3rd talent-wise but playing better than expected because of good coaching. He did acknowledge it's a building year though. 

I think he feels Colts lack playmakers on offense. He liked the fade to Hilton because he believes that Hilton is 'all the Colts got' on offense. I especially believe not having big bodied WR that can beat press coverage an get down the field is hurting us alot. I'd elevate Fountain to the 53 man roster if he is showing anything in practice.

He's right.  You gotta have more talent than just a QB, a WR, and 1 G.  Doyle, AC, and a couple of RBs are good, but there isn't anybody other than TY that Coordinators have to think about specifically.

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

I agree it sounds to me like he's still bitter about being fired maybe I'm wrong but it seemed that way to me. It seemed like he was padding himself on the back a lot. I mean how many super bowls did we win with all that talent he keeps saying we had one with a hall of fame QB. I think Polian always put most of the money on the offensive side of the ball. We should have won many more super bowls than we did but only had one or two years with a really good defense and one of those years we won the super bowl when he was the GM. 

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Well, and more importantly, the rokkie payscale was vastly different under the Polian era than now. Rookies got outrageous salaries if taken in the upper part of the 1st round. Missing on a pick not only meant setting your franchise back developmentally, it meant severe cap problems. This meant you often drafted high in the first frequently. Miss on those picks more often than not - which is the overwhelming probability- you're  a dumpster fire.

Naturally, any decent GM would gravitate toward the higher impact positions - QB, DE, LB, CB, WR, RB (before it was more of a passing league).  You'd see the occasional interior OL and safety. The rule of thumb still holds true, but with the rookie scale being set by the NFL with the 2013 CBA,  taking shots on positions that arent as "important" has become more commonplace. Doesn't mean Polian is wrong, he was right in his time. But I think most GMs of today would agree with your sentiment that a cornerstone LG in the first is worth it, all else equal.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Well, and more importantly, the rokkie payscale was vastly different under the Polian era than now. Rookies got outrageous salaries if taken in the upper part of the 1st round. Missing on a pick not only meant setting your franchise back developmentally, it meant severe cap problems. This meant you often drafted high in the first frequently. Miss on those picks more often than not - which is the overwhelming probability- you're  a dumpster fire.

Naturally, any decent GM would gravitate toward the higher impact positions - QB, DE, LB, CB, WR, RB (before it was more of a passing league).  You'd see the occasional interior OL and safety. The rule of thumb still holds true, but with the rookie scale being set by the NFL with the 2013 CBA,  taking shots on positions that arent as "important" has become more commonplace. Doesn't mean Polian is wrong, he was right in his time. But I think most GMs of today would agree with your sentiment that a cornerstone LG in the first is worth it, all else equal.

The pay scale is an excellent point.   If Nelson gets to pro bowl level in his rookie contract it will be interesting if Ballard re signs him

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think If he reports and plays for a team that has traded for him his the new contract has already been agreed to.  

I’m no expert but I remember hearing something about how he is unable to sign to any sort of long term contract due to restrictions on his tag. I could be wrong so don’t quote me on that.

1 hour ago, HectorRoberts said:

I’m no expert but I remember hearing something about how he is unable to sign to any sort of long term contract due to restrictions on his tag. I could be wrong so don’t quote me on that.

Yah he cant sign a new deal until the next league yr as far as I know.  The deadline to sign tagged players to a multi-year deal was July 16th of this year. 

Bell wants the moon and it just seems highly unlikely  that a guy with the wear on his tires will get $15m per year for 5 years with a massive guarantee. He’s a great player but not worth that contract. The odds of his getting injured or simply wearing down early are high. Your salary cap is then blown. My opinion: stay far far away.