Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What we know now after eagles game

boo2202

All of these besides #2 were known before season started.

Colts are not ready to take a big step yet. They just are not that good. They are keeping them close just aren’t good enough to win these big close games.

Offense isn’t good and oLine still needs a ton of work.

Defense has been surprising but still a penalty and mistake machine.

Still sticking with 6 wins

This team will not win the Super Bowl this year, but the hope is to make the playoffs to give some of the young guys experience. 

Unfortunately, we have lost two winnable games, but winning the division is not out of the realm. Hopefully, Castonzo is coming back sooner than later. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MTC said:

This team will not win the Super Bowl this year, but the hope is to make the playoffs to give some of the young guys experience. 

Unfortunately, we have lost two winnable games, but winning the division is not out of the realm. Hopefully, Castonzo is coming back sooner than later. 

I have never thought that this is a playoff team. I think they’re better than expected but too young and still too many holes. 

• Like 2

The defense played well today but needs to play more disciplined on 2nd and long as well as 3rd and long. 

Too many penalties that killed us throughout the game on defense. 

Also we need to be much more effective in the red zone on offense. 

Overall, good game against a good team, we have a few things that need to be cleaned up however. 

4 minutes ago, Imped said:

If I can narrow the loss down to one play, it's the 3rd and 3 (from like the 6 yard line) on what should've been the "winning" drive. Instead of running the ball outside and (hopefully) getting the first down, they opted to throw the fade in the endzone to TY....a low percentage play. If you get the first down there, you've got 4 plays to go 3 yards and win the game. Instead, you leave yourself with one chance. Maddening play calling.

Luck played horribly today. I had no confidence in him, which is a new feeling for me. No zip, poor decisions (Eagles should have had a few picks), none of that "clutch" feel we're so used to from him.

The defense played their * off. They're legit and I have confidence in them. The special teams played excellent. The offense and play calling lost the game today. I hate to say this, but that was a game we should've won. 

that was 3rd and goal on the fade, not 3rd and 3.  There was no first down to be had without getting a TD

8 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

1. Going to take some time for luck to shake rust off.

2. Our defense is better than advertised

3. Our run game needs to be better

4. Play calling needs to be more aggressive 

and keep adding

We have no playmakers on defense other that Leonard

Offense has nobody that can blow past DBs. We need big body WRs who can beat press coverage 

Running backs are okay nothing special at all. 

• Like 1

This offense requires the QB to hit the receiver in stride for YAC.  Getting tackled immediately leads to short gains, and being off on accuracy cause the receiver to lose precious steps instead of getting more yardage after the short pass.

The receivers need to get used to running the correct angles, and Luck needs to get used to where to throw the ball.  It will take tame.

Hines and Mack are our only receivers that have real wiggle.  To get Grant and  Rogers YAC the pass has to be perfect, IMO.  And Luck never has been a perfectly accurate passer.

A few drives a game, they need to just come out and play Arians ball.  Face it, it's what Luck is good at.  Generally speaking, do you want to protect him, do you want a more effecient offense?  Yes, but a few drives a game you have to let loose 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, #12. said:

A few drives a game, they need to just come out and play Arians ball.  Face it, it's what Luck is good at.  Generally speaking, do you want to protect him, do you want a more effecient offense?  Yes, but a few drives a game you have to let loose 

Luck played in a West Coast offense at Stanford, where he started his hype as a once-in-a-generation type talent.

9 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Offense has nobody that can blow past DBs. We need big body WRs who can beat press coverage 

:lecture: You must've walked away to pee or refresh your drink the MANY Margus Hunt plays that were gamechangers.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

and keep adding

Phillies Defense is good.

Rain affects how a play is called, and how Luck throws.

Haeg was replaced by Good. (not just after his injury, but when Haeg came back in afterwards,...he was replaced again by Good)

Hunt and Leonard are solid. (Leonard 13 tackles, 9 solo, 2 sacks, 2 passes defensed.)

Hooker has played better and better as the weeks progress.

interior O-line did well overall.  Clark and Heag had issues all game.  Good played better.

a lot of drops...(rain played part?)

Had a chance to win, Clark lost his guy immediately.

Brisset throws 60+ bomb for chance to win.  Brisset better at bombs. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

and keep adding

I think not having Mack who just has been too banged up has been a big loss.  He's really the only RB that has that game breaking ability.  I think Doyle/AC/Mack are all absolutely huge losses for this young team, especially vs the champs. 

Heck Mack may only run for 3 ypc but then he could have a 30 yard pass reception for a TD or break off a big 20-30 yard run.  Wilkins and Heins don't seem to have this ability, as of yet at least.  

-our d looks talented, but still makes too many stupid unnecessary errors in critical  moments

-luck needs a lot of time to be the old Andrew(hope he gets back to form and lives up to his talent) 

-what is the most scariest thing to me is, that our playcalling is soooooo uninspired.... I mean ok... Play it save with a qb just back from an injury and all that. But....hey, just be more creative! I'm still not convinced of Frank R. 

And... We may have the worst recieving cast of the league... 

We didn't have to loose that one today. But if you sum up all that above. You loose. 

Biggest need;  Another offensive playmaker.  TY is it.  Without another playmaker we are going to have a hard time scoring points.  Ballard brings in Ebron and Grant and they're not playmakers.  He could have gone after Watkins to name one and he would have made a difference to the offense.  Our division is winnable but I think our offense is going to hold us back.  Too bad because this defense is good and will only get better.  That said we still could have won this game with better play calling at the end.  

Am I upset we lost and that we marched down the field to the 11 yard line and then stalled with four shots to pick up 10 yards or a TD? Absolutely.

Did I hate a play-action fake on fourth down when we did not attempt a run in the previous 3 downs? Absolutely.

But I do not put all this on the O-Line.

The OTs struggled but the interior was decent.

When you are starting to replacement level OTs that is going to happen.

The goal of this Colts offense now is to get the ball out quickly and prevent sacks and hits on Luck. Kepp him upright.

Against a really, really good Eagles DLine that added Michael Bennett to last year's great line, they let up 2 sacks and 4 QB hits. That is damn solid.

Does it suck that one of those sacks was during that crucial 4th down from the 3? Sure that kills. But we should have been mixing in runs inside the 11 and especially once at the 3. Keep them honest. Maybe then a play fake on 4th down does something.

But Barnett was jumping that snap and screaming toward the QB because there was no threat of a run and no chance the Colts were gonna run on 4th down there. That's why the delay for that play fake was so killer. Not a great call.

I'm a bit concerned that we won't let Andrew uncork. But to be honest, doing that means 5-7 step drops and the OTs cannot consistently handle that yet.

Maybe if AC comes back and Good steps up. We will see.

The sky is not falling. We played a great team in poor weather on the road with no running game and we came up a few yards short. The future is still bright. The defense is coming together a lot sooner than I thought they would.

• Like 2

That fade to 5’9 TY Hilton awful playcall but honestly TY did get slightly open looked overthrown by Andrew then he takes a HUGE sack on 4th down inexcusable... We were in a situation where even if we didn’t score we could of had them backed up in their end zone with our 3 timeouts... Credit to the Eagles Carson Wentz played amazing imo

1 hour ago, Mr.Debonair said:

oh i see so expain the sacks we've had this year by hunt humm or the int by a LB other than leonard? 

1 hour ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Since Hunt was mentioned, how about Sheard?

TY can blow past DB's. Did you not see the 2 pass interference calls the last 2 games?

1 hour ago, boo2202 said:

and keep adding

Let's not forget... the average age of our defense is 23(heard that on espn, haven't verified it). It is a YOUNG defense. And that young defense gave the defending Super Bowl champs and a very good top tier QB fits today.  Not to mention the eagles were helped BIG time by the refs. A 14 minute drive, with at least 3 first downs due to HUGE PHANTOM penalties wiping out two sacks and a 3rd and 9 incompletion. 

I think the one thing everyone was worried about was our defense, yeah, they gave up a ton of yardage, but a lot was on penalties. Most penalties were of the bogus sort.

If they keep playing like they have, clean up the penalties, there's still time left to make a run to the top of the AFCS and maybe sneak into the playoffs 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, #12. said:

Arians ball?  Luck can't throw downfield.  Do you really believe that Reich pulled Luck to protect him on that hail mary to win the game?  That's never been done.  you don't pull a known clutch QB on a GW play to play a guy who hasn't thrown a pass all year if your starter is healthy......  stop being delusional.  Guy can't go downfield yet, he just cant...... not even on broken plays does he look down field 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, C0LT5 said:

Since Hunt was mentioned, how about Sheard?

TY can blow past DB's. Did you not see the 2 pass interference calls the last 2 games?

TY Hilton shrinks way too much. He struggles against press coverage. You show me two plays he got behind and I’ll show you more where he was bottled up

31 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

oh i see so expain the sacks we've had this year by hunt humm or the int by a LB other than leonard? 

I’ve already acknowledged that I missed hunt. Walker made one Int. He’s been a non-factor outside of that. What has the other LBs done? Who is makes big plays on this defense besides Leonard and Hunt?

We need another play maker (or 2) on offense. With Mack out, those swing passes to the backs are worthless. Neither Hines nor Wilkins can make the first guy miss. 

We need a WR who can go up and outfight a DB for the ball. 

Luck's timing is off. He is late on throws, giving DB's time to recover and break up the pass. 

Our receiver's don't get much separation, so when they do he needs to have the ball there on time. 

In the red zone Andrew has to look to run when he steps up. The opposing D has to respect that this is a possibility. I remember one run today for a big gain. I think that was it. 

We have a young, hungry D. Very exciting to see. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

One thing I think we learned is Robert Turbin has an under rated role in this team. Think about those 4 first and goals we had at the end there. Say if we had Turbin lining up to punch it in behind Nelson and Costanzo with Doyle blocking too. I guarantee we score a TD.

Honestly if we had AC and Doyle our other backs could get it done. Hard to do much when you are hit in the backfield.