Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts lead first ejected player...

compuls1v3

1 hour ago, Fluke_33 said:

was it a dirty hit?  I recorded the game and will watch tonight.

3 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Yes

IMO

Earned himself a spot off the roster

I don't know if I'd call it dirty.  It was bad tackling technique, but it looks worse in slo-mo.  The first contact was his shoulder hitting the receivers arm, but it was the direct helmet-to-helmet that got him ejected.  Had the receiver caught the ball, the ball in his hands would have been the first thing Thomas hit and it would have been a great play.

But it was still dumb to duck his head down and blindly dive low at a receiver.  Hooker did that last year and almost took a knee to the back of the head...  :facepalm: 

Not dirty, just dumb.  :dunno:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, HOZER said:

Bad technique, unintentional imo.

That's exactly what it looks like to me. Just sloppy and he happened to fall perfectly into a penalty. A collection of 'fail' lead to it essentially.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Bad technique.  He just threw himself into the other player.  Could have hurt his neck and the other player if it was a more solid hit.

Good call. 

27 minutes ago, HOZER said:

Bad technique, unintentional imo.

I have an idea for how to teach these guys proper tackling technique.  Have you guys seen Kevin Hart standup?  "Say it with your chest!"

746070864.gif

"TACKLE WITH YOUR FACE!"  That's why there's a facemask on your helmet.  Put your face into the ball-carrier and wrap your arms around that ball.  You can't see where to punch at the ball with your eyes closed and head down, fool.  Eyes open, tackle with your face, punch at the ball, wrap up with your arms.

kevin-hart-gif-21.gif

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

If it wasn't intentional,  how could it be dirty?   If he didn't mean to go helmet to helmet,   it isn't dirty.   If that was his intention,   it is dirty

He lead with the helmet

It has a lot to do with the He was coached up

3 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

That looked intentional to me he could see the pass was dropped and still went after him anyway terrible dirty and disgracefull.

I was upset about it being another Helmet call until I watched the replay

5 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I don't know if I'd call it dirty.  It was bad tackling technique, but it looks worse in slo-mo.  The first contact was his shoulder hitting the receivers arm, but it was the direct helmet-to-helmet that got him ejected.  Had the receiver caught the ball, the ball in his hands would have been the first thing Thomas hit and it would have been a great play.

But it was still dumb to duck his head down and blindly dive low at a receiver.  Hooker did that last year and almost took a knee to the back of the head...  :facepalm: 

Not dirty, just dumb.  :dunno:

I’ve only seen the slow mo clip but looks like a chuck Cecil hit.  The reason for the original rule 

It’s self explanatory. Text book what not to do. Had that been Hilton getting hit there would be no doubt our feelings. If you don’t want to have to launch into a guy to break up a pass then maybe you should get your butt in position to knock down the pass instead of trying to dislodge the ball with a vicious hit. 

9 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

What was he supposed to do?  The receiver was getting low as he came in to tackle him low. I don't see how to avoid this in these situations.

Agree.  It was his ONLY chance to get ahead of receiver.  He dove.

time to put flags on their hips.

• Like 1

In general, defenders just need to stop throwing themselves into ball carriers. It’s sloppy and dangerous. Weather you’re lowering your head to make a hit or diving at a defenders legs (How Hooker got injured), those techniques are dangerous and poor. It’s always better to tackle high. Nothing good happens when you try and tackle low.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

What was he supposed to do?  The receiver was getting low as he came in to tackle him low. I don't see how to avoid this in these situations.

The NFL has been losing its mind the last few years and its hurting their bottom line.  also each player is employed by a team what's wrong with a team policy that you will stand for the national anthem. they have unlimited funds to go out in protest and speak anywhere they want to anyway they want to I'm sick to death of high paid athletes acting like fools

10 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

Keep his eyes/chin up.  Try to get the head off center and shoulder square to the target.  A player cannot throw himself head first into a player or his path in the open field anymore.

9 hours ago, CR91 said:

That would have been a penalty even before the new helmet rule. He launched himself leading with his helmet which you cant do 

True, but now the Refs have extra leeway to disqualify a player for doing soflagrantly where before players/teams were only penalized.

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Keep his eyes/chin up.  Try to get the head off center and shoulder square to the target.  A player cannot throw himself head first into a player or his path in the open field anymore.

To me it's on the offensive player just as much as the defensive player when both go low and contact is made. We are talking one to two tenths of a second so its not so clear cut as it may first look.

True, but now the Refs have extra leeway to disqualify a player for doing soflagrantly where before players/teams were only penalized.