Colts sign Eric Ebron (merge)

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, TomDiggs said:

I got to pay a lot of attention to Ebron over the years since he’s a guy I stashed in a dynasty fantasy league. He was a guy that statistically was ascending a lot before last year. Many people expected him to make the big big jump last year to become one of the top-10, upper echelon TEs. 

That fell apart quickly. He lost a lot of

playing time as the lions played Fells more due to his blocking prowess and 3-down capability. What didn’t make sense about this is that there were rumors in the preseason that the Lions were finalllllly going to use Ebron right as a flex Wr type TE. Think Hernandez in his prime before he threw it all away. 

He never got the snaps last year to make an impact. And he dropped too many passes. 

He has the talent to seriously be a top-10 TE. I will look forward to seeing how we utilize him. The eagles and chargers have both used a lot of 2-TE pairings. So Ebron could be big here. 

Exactly right, TD......

..He's not a good blocker.....but I don't care about that...he does drop some..

But he had a good season the last 2 years...just not as good as he was predicted to have when he came out of college.

He caught 61 two years ago......and he'll be open more with us because of who he's playing with.

I doubt there's a TE in the draft better than this guy

2 minutes ago, Calmack said:

This dude is gonna have some key drops in crucial moments, I guarantee it. 

He's changing teams,  Cal...

.....Lets see how many he catches.

There's no down side here. Low cost....veteran player...only 25...with high upside he has not yet reached

10 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Swoopes been here for around three or four years...

And he has 15 receptions.

Remember he was a basketball player, not a football player. He showed flashes in year two when he was TE 3, and he was hurt last year. Not really a fair assessment.

12 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

So he's that bad? 

20180319_213124.jpg

I didn’t say he was bad...I said I don’t see him producing enough to justify 7.5 million a year.  I literally typed that, don’t see how it’s confusing.  He had 50+ catches for 500+ yards.  Obviously he has talent he is in the NFL. However, I don’t think he is producing like a top 10 pick in his 4th year should and again...I don’t see him producing enough to justify 7.5 million dollars a year.  

On a a side note tho, we have plenty of cap room and I have no idea how the new staff will use the TEs.  Could be a great signing...I hope it is. 

I love this signing. Colts couldn't afford to have guys like Brandon Williams and Darrel Daniels getting big time snaps next season. I was really excited to see what Swoope could do, but he is basically a question mark at this point.

Hopefully this doesn't mean he is still hurt. And having Swoope as your TE3 is definitely not a bad thing.

10 minutes ago, Calmack said:

This dude is gonna have some key drops in crucial moments, I guarantee it. 

You're probably right.  If he does at least a few Colts fans can write our own songs about it on YouTube. haha  There always has to be a whipping boy on the Colts.  He will also move a few chains while he is at it. 

2 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I didn’t say he was bad...I said I don’t see him producing enough to justify 7.5 million a year.  I literally typed that, don’t see how it’s confusing.  He had 50+ catches for 500+ yards.  Obviously he has talent he is in the NFL. However, I don’t think he is producing like a top 10 pick in his 4th year should and again...I don’t see him producing enough to justify 7.5 million dollars a year.  

On a a side note tho, we have plenty of cap room and I have no idea how the new staff will use the TEs.  Could be a great signing...I hope it is. 

If he was producing like a 10th pick at the TE position, he wouldn't be available...at least not for this amount.

I am glad to see the Colts address TE. Doyle is solid but they need more from the position.

7 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

7.5 million is the MAX he can make. aka, he would have to be really productive. Plus, knowing Ballard, we can get out of it next season if it doesn’t work.

We just added a 24 year old dude with a ton of upside (with incentives to perform) with no ramifications if it doesn’t work.

This is a smart move.

52 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It won't take the Moncrief compensatory pick away. It could take the Melvin one away though. Not sure how the incentives affect that.

My understanding is that since the Lions released him it doesn’t impact compensatory picks. 

1 hour ago, TKnight24 said:

Not a bad deal for either party

58 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

Kind of makes me think Ballard doesn't have a plan and whiffed on everyone else.  

This is such a lame signing.  

No excuse to not have paid Melvin or Hankins.  

We don't need Ebron and honestly I don't think he helps at all. 

Usually you and I agree but wow, wow. Gotta say, you kind of fell off the cliff on this one^

48 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

Swoop may get cut now.

Maybe,maybe not. A lot will depend on his ability to be available. 

42 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

That's not a high price, either......

We don't really have a big WR...but this guy is not an in-line tithgt end.at all..

He's basically a big possession WR.

He will do very, very well with us..just like Doyle has..    Strong pick up ..and its saves us using draft choices on tight ends..He;s only 26

Kind of reminds me a tad of Dallas Clarks early years. Wasn't the best blocker but could make catches . Will Ebron be as good as Dallas, unlikely but never know. We'll see but I think it's a fair pick up

46 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I hope not.  What's wrong with a little competition and depth? 

Lion fans were happy when they released Ebron because of his drops and for not being a red zone threat.  I believe the Colts need to keep Swoope around and let these guys compete for the job. May the best man win.  It's not like Ballard hasn't had to release a free agent or draft mistake before.

Yeah, he had 8 drops last season lead the NFL so to many. But I hope he can turn his career around here in Indy. I don't want another Dewayne Allen. 

Tom Manning. Former OL coach/offensive coordinator for Iowa State (who had a great season in 2017)... currently TE coach for the Indianapolis Colts for those who aren't aware. 

His scheme often split tight ends out wide. Allen Lazard was one of his receivers this season that is 6'5 230, speed in question, but ran a 4.55 at the combine. #23 receiver in the draft according to Walter rankings. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in a Colts uniform next year. Predicted to go anywhere from 4th to 7th round. He is a Hell of a red zone target, look him up. 

To tie that in with the Ebron  signing, it falls in perfect alignment with what the vision is offensively. We are going to split teams out with big bodied tight ends and receivers and have speed and mismatches all over the field. 

20 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

What is the downside of this move?   Spending $7 mil on a tight end who catches 50-60 passes every year?

Now then.. What is the upside?

That is a good point. He does have more upside than Swoope. Maybe he pulls a Jerry Hughes and blossoms in the right scheme and we catch lightning in a bottle. Worst situation he is Dwayne Allen and can’t stay healthy and continues to drop passes.  We have a really bad roster and even tho I don’t care for the signing, it was good to pick him up and I believe we have become bette with him on our roster.