Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Schrager: Ravens FA C Ryan Jensen is visiting with the Colts (Merge)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, PeterBowman said:

Been reading that he's a good player and versatile....wonder how he rated in the last year or 2?

probably a big upgrade over Vujn.

8. Ryan Jensen, Baltimore Ravens

Pass Protection: 16/25
Run Block: 18/25
Power: 17/20
Agility: 15/20
Position Value: 6/10
Overall Grade: 72/100

Ryan Jensen had a fantastic season. The Colorado State-Pueblo alum has improved in each of the five seasons he's been in the league and has become a vital cog in the Baltimore Ravens' creative run game. Jensen's schematic importance in what they want to do on the ground cannot be overstated, as he's become the catalyst inside.

—NFL1000 OL Scout Ethan Young

Jensen has fantastic tools for playing center. He gets in his stance in a flash after snapping the ball, engages with great leverage, is mobile to and through the second level, and has the toughness and attitude to take a defender down with a cockroach block from time to time. Baltimore's 27th-ranked offense was severely limited in 2017, but none of that was Jensen's fault.

—NFL1000 Lead Scout Doug Farrar

NFL1000: Ranking the Top Centers of 2017 Season

3 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

5 years 44 mil for a guy I've never heard of? He's had 1 year starting experience and isn't considered one of the best at his position like Norwell was. If we were to pay that kind of money, why not just get Norwell?

One guy wants roughly 9 mill per...

The other wants 13.3 mill.   We made our best pitch and he went elsewhere.

if you've never heard of him then you're reading the wrong websites.   And NFL.com is FREE!

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

5 years 44 mil for a guy I've never heard of? He's had 1 year starting experience and isn't considered one of the best at his position like Norwell was. If we were to pay that kind of money, why not just get Norwell?

For what it is worth, Jensen was rated as the top available free agent Center.

Most folks here didn't hear of him because he was rarely linked to us since everyone sees LT and Center as being the two spots the Colts have actual starters at. But Jensen can play Guard too.

And there is a big difference in paying Jensen $8M-$9M versus us having to pay Norwell at least $14M to have won him. That extra $6M per year is another starter.

And many many sites listed Jensen as a top FA.

CBS sports had him as their 25th overall FA (as one example).

1 minute ago, TomDiggs said:

Most folks here didn't hear of him because he was rarely linked to us since everyone sees LT and Center as being the two spots the Colts have actual starters at. But Jensen can play Guard too.

And there is a big difference in paying Jensen $8M-$9M versus us having to pay Norwell at least $14M to have won him. That extra $6M per year is another starter.

:agree:

8 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

It's free agency. Have to overpay a little bit to land your guys to build the team. Did you see Sammy Watkins deal? Chiefs completely overpaid for him. lol

I don't want to get everyone's hopes up on Jensen either.

He visits Tampa Bay before us.

We have to hope he gets out of that visit with them and actually makes it to our visit before they lock him up.

But make no mistake, he would be a good signing if we can land him.

I am not sure we will get the opportunity too. But hopefully we do.

If he leaves TB without a deal and visits us, I think we have a good chance.

3 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah, now is when I temper my hopes of getting him.

He goes to Tampa Bay first, they could try to keep him in the building until he signs.

He could still honor his visit with the Colts and come here, despite any offers made, right? 

It is not like a timeshare salesman saying "this is the best deal you are going to get but you have to take it now, cannot sit on it or think about it". Do teams do that? Do they say the offer becomes invalid once he leaves the facility or city without signing it? That is the part I am uncertain about.

25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Honestly,  I don't know?   But not sure it matters,   Both players can play both spots.   

If if I had to guess -- and it's only a guess -- Kelly would stay at center and Jansen would slide to guard.   But I wouldn't be surprised if it went the other way.

I just want the guy signed.

well i guess we'll find out just how good a salesman Ballard is then

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

He could still honor his visit with the Colts and come here, despite any offers made, right? 

It is not like a timeshare salesman saying "this is the best deal you are going to get but you have to take it now, cannot sit on it or think about it". Do teams do that? Do they say the offer becomes invalid once he leaves the facility or city without signing it? That is the part I am uncertain about.

Not sure about all that, interesting to think about. I don't think the Bucs would force him to take it or leave it, just entice him. That would've been a better word to use.

29 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He's available, not because he's not good...   he's available because he wants good money.   

This is good for us. We have money. Some would say the best money. The best. Believe me. 

21 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I agree with this. I have heard of Jensen and I’m all for signing him but I’d be okay with a lower contract. 5 years 30mil

Just now, chad72 said:

A different sport, but i know the Thunder did that to James Harden. They offered him a slightly above average contract and told him it was only valid for the day. He stated he needed to sleep on an offer like that. OKC didn't like him takning his time & traded him to the Rockets instead of letting him walk. HORRIBLE choice by the Thunder. Neither player they got in the deal is with their team now & Harden is an MVP caliber player year in and year out now. 

He's perfect for us. Nasty and can play multiple positions.  He'll start for sure but I am not optimistic. The Bucs want to shore up their line as well.  I don't see him leaving there unless his agent really insists on it.  On the bright side we now know we have a FA visit scheduled!

11 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Not in those exact words. There is often the feeling that if a player walks away from signing a deal then they move on to finding the next guy on the list. A free agent might feel pressure that another player will be signed while they are doing other visits. 

Just now, SaturdayAllDay said:

Not in those exact words. There is often the feeling that if a player walks away from signing a deal then they move on to finding the next guy on the list. A free agent might feel pressure that another player will be signed while they are doing other visits. 

That doesn’t always happen

24 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

That's probably true.  He was off the forum radar because he was listed primarily at C.  Drama over nothing.

11 minutes ago, CamMo said:

This is good for us. We have money. Some would say the best money. The best. Believe me. 

Tampa has dang near the same amount as we do... so they could big him high as well. Starting to think we don't stand a chance to land him since he's going there first.

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

He's perfect for us. Nasty and can play multiple positions.  He'll start for sure but I am not optimistic. The Bucs want to shore up their line as well.  I don't see him leaving there unless his agent really insists on it.  On the bright side we now know we have a FA visit scheduled!

If money is equal, I think he'd choose to play with Luck over Winston.  Just a hunch.