Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Schrager: Ravens FA C Ryan Jensen is visiting with the Colts (Merge)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Tampa has dang near the same amount as we do... so they could big him high as well. Starting to think we don't stand a chance to land him since he's going there first.

Yeah, that puts us at a big disadvantage. Who would want to stay in a place where it still feels like December in mid-March after soaking up the warm sun in Florida.:Cry:

His money would go further here though.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think if money is even he signs in Florida.

One...   no state tax....   big deal..

Two....    Florida over Indiana.   Sorry.

We may have to over pay to win this one. Could be 5/50.    We'll know in 36 hours.

why 36?

3 minutes ago, CamMo said:

As a ginger though, that Florida sun might be too much for him. Hmm.

Lmao. Yeah I'm a ginger as well. Lemme tell you I've been to Miami a few times (an ex of mine is from there) & even in January I got severely burnt. Florida is no joke with the sun & I live in South Georgia. You'd think it wouldn't be that drastic of a change. But I assure you it is.  Jenson will have to invest in some seriously strong sunscreen to be going thru training camp and OTAs down there. The summers will be brutal. 

Just now, Luckuania said:

Lmao. Yeah I'm a ginger as well. Lemme tell you I've been to Miami a few times (an ex of mine is from there) & even in January I got severely burnt. Florida is no joke with the sun & I live in South Georgia. You'd think it wouldn't be that drastic of a change. But I assure you it is.  Jenson will have to invest in some seriously strong sunscreen to be going thru training camp and OTAs down there. The summers will be brutal. 

Ditto. Love vacationing down in Florida around spring time but I come stocked with multiple bottles of sunscreen haha  

15 minutes ago, Luckuania said:

8 minutes ago, CamMo said:

Ditto. Love vacationing down in Florida around spring time but I come stocked with multiple bottles of sunscreen haha  

Feel sorry for you guys since I stay tan year round

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Because he's in Tampa today...   and I hope he's in Indiana tomorrow and I'm allowing for a few more hours for negotiations.

It could be sooner, but I'm playing it safe...

I thought they said tampa this morning and Indy this evening? oh well, splitting hairs. 

7 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Feel sorry for you guys since I stay tan year round

Lol. Yeah I love the sun, but the sun doesn't love me. 

Tanning is non existent until after maybe the tenth burn of the year or so for me. So it's not worth it imo. Hopefully Jenson is plagued with the same thing I am. Extremely fair skin. 

Though I've got to say, around $10 million a year is definitely worth suffering for. 

8 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I thought they said tampa this morning and Indy this evening? oh well, splitting hairs. 

Oh!    I had NOT heard that.  Sorry.    Good info.    Perhaps much sooner than I thought!

Great!    (Here's hoping Hansen gets out of Tampa!)

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Oh!    I had NOT heard that.  Sorry.    Good info.    Perhaps much sooner than I thought!

Great!    (Here's hoping Hansen gets out of Tampa!)

its was a tweet so take it with a HUGE grain of salt.  credibility is lacking with tweets.

So either the Colts are going to play him at G...even though he finally broke through as a starter at C...OR they are moving their mid-1st round pick C to G (despite him never playing the position and being a successful C since his freshman season at Bama).

I would assume TB will want him as a C with Marpet moving back to G, which I think whould have them valuing him more than the Colts and willing to pay more. 

5 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

So either the Colts are going to play him at G...even though he finally broke through as a starter at C...OR they are moving their mid-1st round pick C to G (despite him never playing the position and being a successful C since his freshman season at Bama).

I would assume TB will want him as a C with Marpet moving back to G, which I think whould have them valuing him more than the Colts and willing to pay more. 

You're right.  I read that somewhere on a TB sight.  They want to Mapket back to guard.  They will make him a big offer.

5 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I totally understand the skepticism here.

That being said, the guy never got the chance to start before last year. He started a handful of games at G but the Ravens needed a Center more. So he moved there, adjusted to a new position, started 16 games and played at an above average level all while essentially playing/learning a new position.

Those are all pluses in my book and not minuses. We know he can be an above average Center and also know he has previous experience at G.

Now if you asked would i prefer Pugh over him, I'd probably say yes.

But outside of Pugh, I don't know if there is another lineman who fits our needs and is as versatile.

If he makes his way to Indy, I fully believe Ballard will make him want to stick around long term. Jensen has improved every year he's been in the league. He fits Ballard's bill of how he wants to reward certain guys for performing at a high level and consistently improving. I get that he's an outsider an not from within which is the norm in that regard. I was listening to Schefter's podcast yesterday & Schefty & Mortenson think Jensen will be the highest paid center by then end of FA. I hope they're wrong & he becomes a top 10 paid guard for us. I just hope Tampa doesn't price us out. That tax deal goes a long way. 

9 minutes ago, Luckuania said:

If he makes his way to Indy, I fully believe Ballard will make him want to stick around long term. Jensen has improved every year he's been in the league. He fits Ballard's bill of how he wants to reward certain guys for performing at a high level and consistently improving. I get that he's an outsider an not from within which is the norm in that regard. I was listening to Schefter's podcast yesterday & Schefty & Mortenson think Jensen will be the highest paid center by then end of FA. I hope they're wrong & he becomes a top 10 paid guard for us. I just hope Tampa doesn't price us out. That tax deal goes a long way. 

yeah.  We'd have to raise it at least 10% more than them just to break even

6 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

I totally understand the skepticism here.

That being said, the guy never got the chance to start before last year. He started a handful of games at G but the Ravens needed a Center more. So he moved there, adjusted to a new position, started 16 games and played at an above average level all while essentially playing/learning a new position.

Those are all pluses in my book and not minuses. We know he can be an above average Center and also know he has previous experience at G.

Now if you asked would i prefer Pugh over him, I'd probably say yes.

But outside of Pugh, I don't know if there is another lineman who fits our needs and is as versatile.

To me, it comes down to whether his breakout was due to switching to C. And I have no idea. Maybe he is actually a good C but just an ok G. Or maybe he is just as good at both and never really got his chance.

I think $10M (or whatever numbers are being thrown around) is a huge risk just to find that out. And if it is because he is better at C, I am not sure how you go to Ryan Kelly (who has likley been told he is supposed to be the next franchise C) and ask him to move to a position he has never played for this guy. And in that scenario, continuing to play Jensen at G is a disservice as well.

Just seems like TB is a much better fit for him, as they can accomodate him at C. With the NYG signing Solder, Pugh should be available. To me, he would make more sense, given his versatillity at G and T. Then bring back Person as backup C.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I think he will at least take both visits. Hes from Colorado so I'm sure a little Indiana/Chicago style cold weather is nothing to him

He blocked outdoors for the Ravens, and he gets to play indoors with the Colts, there is that. :) 

34 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

To me, it comes down to whether his breakout was due to switching to C. And I have no idea. Maybe he is actually a good C but just an ok G. Or maybe he is just as good at both and never really got his chance.

I think $10M (or whatever numbers are being thrown around) is a huge risk just to find that out. And if it is because he is better at C, I am not sure how you go to Ryan Kelly (who has likley been told he is supposed to be the next franchise C) and ask him to move to a position he has never played for this guy. And in that scenario, continuing to play Jensen at G is a disservice as well.

Just seems like TB is a much better fit for him, as they can accomodate him at C. With the NYG signing Solder, Pugh should be available. To me, he would make more sense, given his versatillity at G and T. Then bring back Person as backup C.

It is not like Norwell had 4 stellar years either, that is why I would be fine with signing him with the versatility he brings, like you said.

Jensen would be a really good signing, and he would slot right in as one of our starting Guards. The thing that sucks is we need 2 Guards. Jensen would be awesome along with Norwell, but the way it is now. Sign Jensen and Josh Sitton. Bring Mewhort back too. That would give us 2 really good starting Guards and depth. Or sign Jensen and Sitton and draft Hernandez in RD2. Either way it fixes our O-Line. Maybe we sign Fleming to play RT as well.

2 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Jensen would be a really good signing, and he would slot right in as one of our starting Guards. The thing that sucks is we need 2 Guards. Jensen would be awesome along with Norwell, but the way it is now. Sign Jensen and Josh Sitton. Bring Mewhort back too. That would give us 2 really good starting Guards and depth. Or sign Jensen and Sitton and draft Hernandez in RD2. Either way it fixes our O-Line. Maybe we sign Fleming to play RT as well.

Needing two guards is OK.

Turns out,  this is another good year for guads in the draft.    I'm confident that even if we don't take Nelson,  then we'll take a guard who can start on Day 2 of the draft.     I would suspect the 2nd round,  but maybe the 3rd.    We'll find our other starting guard in the draft.        We're good there.

And that assumes that our new OL coach thinks he can't turn one of Haeg,  or Good or Clark into a starting guard.

31 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

DAMN that boy is fat. I’ve always wondered if two Olineman weighed he same + same height is there any disadvantage to one being much lower Bf% vs The archetypical fatboy lineman?

i was only a kicker/punter so i have no idea

Measureables can be misleading.  A player's weight should not be wasted. Fat?  He appears to have an abundance of pounds that are unuseful.......

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

We may have to over pay to win this one. Could be 5/50.    We'll know in 36 hours.

Indiana's top marginal state income tax rate is only 3.3%, and you have to consider that you pay state taxes to the states in which the game is played, not to your team's home state. Since Indy plays the Titans, Jags, and Texans every year, there isn't any state tax taken out of those checks. Playing for Tampa Bay, your home games are state tax-free but you have a game every year in Louisiana (6%), Georgia (6%) and North Carolina (5.75%). Playing in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia, with its 13.3% top marginal rate, really takes a bite out of a game check, though. 

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not sure Florida is all that appealing for guys that size.....

but yeah, Tampa/St Pete is actually appealing unlike Jacksonville.

6 hours ago, CamMo said:

Yeah, that puts us at a big disadvantage. Who would want to stay in a place where it still feels like December in mid-March after soaking up the warm sun in Florida.:Cry:

His money would go further here though.

Fat people