Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What running back after Barkley is a good fit later in the draft?

8 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

If we don't use our 2nd round pick on getting any of  them,  these guys probably will be gone. 

That's fine. I wouldn't use a high 2nd on any of them. Really like Penny though.

Guice in the second would be a nice addition.  Probably will not make it past pick 20-25.  Otherwise, I don't see a RB pick until round 3-5.  Too many needs elsewhere and Mack is pretty good. Ronald Jones is somebody to keep an eye on as well.

Guice if he is at the top of the second round and Penny if he is at top of the third round. Guice would be a player that would attract Reich because he is very like Ajayi in his running style; hard runner, direct, violent. Have him in a RBBC with Mack and Jones/Turbin and you have a nice variety of weapons in the backfield. Weapons similar in type to what he had with the Eagles actually.

I think Penny is going to be the next really good RB to come out of the mid rounds like Hunt last year and Howard the year before. Is an every down back, great college production and measured and tested well at the combine.

21 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Bott  I think your opinion on running backs early in the draft has been well documented lol

Well, if the colts didn't have Mack using a high 2nd on a rb might be worth a conversation.

15 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

Guice if he is at the top of the second round and Penny if he is at top of the third round. Guice would be a player that would attract Reich because he is very like Ajayi in his running style; hard runner, direct, violent. Have him in a RBBC with Mack and Jones/Turbin and you have a nice variety of weapons in the backfield. Weapons similar in type to what he had with the Eagles actually.

I think Penny is going to be the next really good RB to come out of the mid rounds like Hunt last year and Howard the year before. Is an every down back, great college production and measured and tested well at the combine.

This is what I'm thinking too. The Colts are likely to trade back and get at least on more second rounder and possibly a third as well. One of those picks, or their own, can be used to get one of these RBs, hopefully Guice or Penny. . Honestly, it would not shock me to see the ND guard Nelson as the first pick in a trade down scenario, with a LB and RB taken in the second round. 

I guess I will again have to turn the forum's focus on a back no one is talking about that has a good shot as a major contributor.  Last year it was Alvin Kamara.

Surprised no one is mentioning Kalen Ballage. You want a 3rd-4th round guy that can contribute on all 3 downs, Kalen is your guy.  You dont want Ronal Jones or Kerryon.  Im not high on Guice, but I see the appeal. 

59 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I guess I will again have to turn the forum's focus on a back no one is talking about that has a good shot as a major contributor.  Last year it was Alvin Kamara.

Surprised no one is mentioning Kalen Ballage. You want a 3rd-4th round guy that can contribute on all 3 downs, Kalen is your guy.  You dont want Ronal Jones or Kerryon.  Im not high on Guice, but I see the appeal. 

I mentioned Ballage. But Ronald Jones is the same type of back as Mack. Kerryon doesn’t seem to have a standout trait.

I want Sony Michel. He has nearly everything I want in a RB. He is decisive and has good vision, burst and power. And his second gear means he is likely going to be a chunk yardage machine in the NFL. He can also pass block well. And he didn't have as much usage as other RBs in college. 

He's not as prolific in pass-catching as I would like, but he can do it...and with proper coaching should get better.

I have no problem with taking him early on day two. 

Nice Topic. There is a lot of good comments.

I agree with most what everyone is saying in here.

If Barkley is there at 3 you take him.

If we trade back and pick up a 2nd round pick.

(1st) 2nd round pick- Guice, Michel

(2nd) mid-late 2nd round pick- Penny, Jones, Johnson

3rd round pick- Chubb, Hines

4th round- Ballage, Freeman, Kelly, Walton

5th -7th- Josh Adams, Bo Scarbrough, Wadley

I think that is in the general range for a lot of those guys. I think you have to consider the players above at those selections. Obviously in the (2nd)2nd round pick scenario we dont know where that pick might lay, so those guys are mid to late 2nd round range. Wouldn't want them at say NYJ 2nd round pick spot.

I would love to get Guice or Michel. In the 2nd round.

If no extra 2nd I  would hope for Chubb, Penny in the 3rd.

Hines, Ballage and Freeman are intriguing though in the mid rounds

I really like Jones but feel he is too similar to Mack. Although, I think Jones is a more complete back.

Hey I think Mack has the potential to be a player for the Colts, but I think that a more dominate work horse is the key in a rotating  running back/ receiving type  back for the Colts, since we will let go of Gore, we will need  a durable running back to fit  that need.

Hey think about it . when philly had  Chip Kelly, he completely stripped the Eagles of their talent they had. Look how fast they rebounded and won a Super bowl in so little time after that fiasco. Rebuilding does not have to take that long a time to be relevant . Modern time rebuild can be fast if done right