Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

First Rd Consensus.....So who do we take in Rd. 2?

Seems the forum is pretty well unanimous on its first rd pick being one of the three....Chubb, Barkley, and Nelson. So given that one of those 3 would likely be a Colt who do we take with our second round pick. I'll give my short list of prospects and why. Given no workouts and a lot of moving around to be expected between now and then I feel like a few of these guys though should be there for us. I've grouped them by position so that if you went DE in first then you could pick from the OL/RB and so on if you get a lineman or runner in first.

OL Prospects

OG/T Isaiah Wynn: very talented player that could step right in to play left guard and could be a backup starting tackle for us in a pinch since he played well at LT for Georgia.

C/OG Billy Price: I think he may be off the board already but its possible if his measurables don't land where other guards do he may slip...but great college production.

OG: Will Hernandez: Seen him all over the place but from his senior bowl performance seems to be trending up. Would be a real upgrade for us.

OT: Kolton Miller: I think he has a lot of potential...will need to work on strength and run game but moves well in pass protection. 6'8 310...giant of kid.

RB Prospects

RB Derrius Guice: Explosive runner...can handle the work load. Impressive couple of seasons at LSU.

RB Ronald Jones: Another explosive back...has elite talent and impressive resume out of USC.

RB Sony Michel: Impressive end to the season against elite competition. Power/speed combo means he probably goes first rd....but maybe he falls.

RB Nick Chubb: Excellent career at Georgia. Every down work horse back. Injuries might have limited his career there but a very productive back on first and second down.

Defensive Prospects

DE/OLB  Sam Hubbard: A lot of potential at OSU...just ups and downs. Finished strong towards the end of the year. Would seem to fit the size for a DE.

DE/OLB  Arden Key: Little small for DE but we've seen it work before. Lots of athleticism...lots of questions on motor and production. LSU...masters of the high risk high reward players.

DE/OLB  Harold Landry: Missed a lot of time last couple years for BC. Has been very productive in the past. Probably projects better to 3-4 with size and strength but still one of few with elite bend and speed to get to the qb on the edge.

LB Leighton Vander Esch: Big LB with great vision and instincts. Gobbles up runners. Lacks elite athleticism but a very productive MLB out of Boise.

LB Raashan Evans: Side line to side line tackler. Very productive player from a premier University. Played against the quickest and most athletic players in country and did so at a high level. Always questions around Alabama players though as they seem to be either maxed out potential wise or beat up playing through too many injuries.

LB Josey Jewell: Great tackler. Can play all 3 LB positions. Very productive. Covers well and takes good angles. Kinda limited athletically but just a hard nosed football player out Iowa.

So lots of different ways we can go but I look for perhaps somebody from this list to be our selection round 2. My preference.....we go Chubb at 3 and Wynn in the second. Feel free to add any players you all think might be a target there.

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think what we do in R2 depends, in part, on what we do in R1.

Yo me our two biggest needs are pass rush and offensive line.

So if we go Chubb in R1 I'm expecting an O-lineman in R2.

And if we take Nelson in R1 then I'm expecting us to take pass rush in R2.

I would think Free Agency is the biggest factor..If we get a high level Guard and ILB in FA we are more likely to go RB and DE or vice versa...Hopefully we fill biggest needs in free agency so we can truly take the Best Player Available, or take chances on guys with high ceilings in the draft like an Edmonds or Bryan Rd1 and RD2 for example..

9 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I thought Arden Key was a first rounder.  

I've also heard that Jewel was projected as a 6th rounder.  

I've seen boards have them all over the place. I've seen Jewel mostly in 3rd but if he test better athletically he could go in round 2. Lot of people like him to go to us. Key I see all over the place....some even late 2nd. He has a lot of red flags. I think a lot of these guys move around after the combine etc. I'm just wondering who people think they would want in round 2. Seems everyone is dead set on one of the 3 in the first...so I put a list together to kinda show if we for-go say Chubb...these are the DEs that could potentially be there rd 2...and if we pass on Barkley this is who we might have to choose from...same as Nelson. I think it is interesting to show that if you pass on one of these guys...where do you go to fill the hole. Obviously free agency will tell us a lot...but right now...I can't pass on Chubb....I just don't see a quality starter there day 2 that would help our pass rush that I felt confident in. I have contemplated all 3 and this exercise helped in seeing what we would be left with if we passed on Chubb. I feel like if we pass on the other 2 there is still some very good prospects there....especially OL...which is where I think I go to help protect Luck. Things will change in the coming months that may make me change my mind on some of these guys but right now if landed Chubb and Wynn....I would be very very happy.

18 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I thought Arden Key was a first rounder.  

I've also heard that Jewel was projected as a 6th rounder.  

Key has first round talent...    but he has undrafted free agent character and head.

Jewel is likely a third or fourth rounder at this point.    That could change with the combine and pro day.

This is why I'm hoping for a slight trade down while still having the opportunity to draft Chubb/Nelson. That extra 2nd is valuable with us having many holes on both sides of the ball. Chubb/Wynn/ 1 of the LB's that fall sounds better than Chubb or Nelson/whoever. I know we can't fix all the talent deficiencies in one offseason but I want as many young and talented players as we can get. 

1 minute ago, boo2202 said:

This is why I'm hoping for a slight trade down while still having the opportunity to draft Chubb/Nelson. That extra 2nd is valuable with us having many holes on both sides of the ball. Chubb/Wynn/ 1 of the LB's that fall sounds better than Chubb or Nelson/whoever. I know we can't fix all the talent deficiencies in one offseason but I want as many young and talented players as we can get. 

I think the chances of a trade back are quickly falling away. Listening to a lot of what Cousins was saying about the Jets (coaching staff)....and the moves they have made to free up cap space...seems like they would be a favorite to land him. If that is the case and we see Cleveland go the McCarron/#1qb to learn route then that would leave really only Denver in that spot to move up for a qb....and they may just sit back and let their guy fall to them or just go with Nelson who they have a huge need for on the OL. I think a lot of people were pretty high on NY trying to jump up with one of their 2 second round picks and get ahead of Denver for a qb but that is looking less likely to be necessary if Cousins lands in NY. It's just a feeling I'm getting. I think we stay at 3 and take the pick...whatever that is.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

1. LB Raashan Evans

2. RB Derrius Guice

3. DE/OLB  Arden Key

4. OG/T Isaiah Wynn

5. OG: Will Hernandez

6. OLB Leighton Vander Esch

7. DE/OLB  Harold Landry

8. RB Ronald Jones

9. DE/OLB  Sam Hubbard

10. RB Sony Michel

11. C/OG Billy Price

12. T: Kolton Miller

13. RB Nick Chubb

14. LB Josey Jewell

Here's how I'd rank them.  the last few might be later-round prospects (especially Chubb and Jewell).  It all depends on our first pick, though.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

To me our two biggest needs are pass rush and offensive line.

That's Drafting for need. I like Drafting BPA.... Unfortunately for us BPA will also probably fill one of our many needs. haha

Good list, I think you're optimistic on few of them but someone is bound to slip through the cracks.  I think, barring someone major like Guice or Evans falling, our best bet would be taking one of the round 1 caliber interior OL prospects (Price/Wynn/Hernandez).  Guards tend to go lower than we expect so I'd be very surprised if one of them wasn't there for us.  All of them are instant starters and huge upgrades, cant expect more from your 2nd rounder.

I wouldnt rule out a CB either.  Someone like Isaiah Oliver, Carlton Davis, or Jaire Alexander would be nice.

3 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

I would love to go Chubb and Vander Esch.  Assuming in FA we grab a Zach Fulton and Hurst/Fusco. 

That is my hope as well. The two players I'm looking at as 2nd rounders for us if we land Chubb are Vander-Esch and Billy Price. It may just come down to which one is available, since there have been whispers of both of them going in the 1st round. If you get LVE, you get 2 impact defenders that can start day 1. LVE can play MLB if we don't get Hitchens in FA or WILL. If you get price you get an instant starter at Guard or Center, which is needed flexibility with how Kelly is often injured at times. My 3rd pick if we take Chubb and those guys are gone would be Isaiah Oliver. He's the definition of a Ballard corner and physcially reminds me of Quincy Wilson.

I'm pretty set on the fact that we're probably drafting Chubb, but in the event we go with Nelson, I'd be looking for the BPA on defense, which is hopefully a LB but I'd also give Taven Bryan or Maurice Hurst a look if they were there.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

I think the chances of a trade back are quickly falling away. Listening to a lot of what Cousins was saying about the Jets (coaching staff)....and the moves they have made to free up cap space...seems like they would be a favorite to land him. If that is the case and we see Cleveland go the McCarron/#1qb to learn route then that would leave really only Denver in that spot to move up for a qb....and they may just sit back and let their guy fall to them or just go with Nelson who they have a huge need for on the OL. I think a lot of people were pretty high on NY trying to jump up with one of their 2 second round picks and get ahead of Denver for a qb but that is looking less likely to be necessary if Cousins lands in NY. It's just a feeling I'm getting. I think we stay at 3 and take the pick...whatever that is.

If signing AJ McCarron prevents a team from drafting a QB......yikes.

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

Might not be a QB they move up for. If the Jets sign Cousins, they might be salivating for Barkley. You just don’t know. If the Colts can’t make a good trade they will still get a great player at 3. But the trade market is more than just QBs. 

It all depends on what happens before then.

A lot of unknown factors between here and there.

What happens in Free Agency? Does Ballard land, say, Norwell?

What happens in round 1? Do we trade back a few spots and pick up Nelson, and add an extra pick in the second roun? Do we stay and grab Chubb or Barkley?

If Rashaan Evans is there, I would love to have him. I doubt he'll be there, but he would be my #1 choice.

Maybe Hubbard would be available. If Ballard likes Key, then he could be an option, despite my, and others, concerns.

Jewell would be a little high for my taste, he seems like a 3rd round pick to me. But I like him.

Van der Esch - Sure. I'ld be up for that.

RB's. Honestly, I think you could grab Nick Chubb in the 4th round. I would be up for that. Big time. He and Mack would be a solid RB duo IMO.

Depending on Nelson/Norwell etc. Wynn/Hernandez/Price might be a good option.

2 hours ago, BOTT said:

If signing AJ McCarron prevents a team from drafting a QB......yikes.

No I think they use Mccarron as a stop gap until they get their #1 to be ready. None of these QBs screem starter day 1 to me. The fact they almost pulled off a trade for him during the season tells me they will be heavy after him in FA. But if Cousins go to NY...those trade offers everyone is counting on for them to jump Denver for a qb probably aren’t happening. I think we will end up staying at 3.

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

Might not be a QB they move up for. If the Jets sign Cousins, they might be salivating for Barkley. You just don’t know. If the Colts can’t make a good trade they will still get a great player at 3. But the trade market is more than just QBs. 

Good point...but they have a lot of holes to fill and giving up that second to move up a couple spots when you will have players that will help you seems short sighted...but yes that is an option. 

No matter what we do in free agency I can’t see a scenerio where Chubb and a guard/tackle combo like Wynn wouldn’t be a huge help to this team...it’s a dream scenerio but it might work out. At this stage who knows what will happen but I like to see what others target for round 2 since we’ve beat the 3rd pick to death.

2 hours ago, Clem-Dog said:

Cleveland has two chances to address its biggest weakness, QB, and McCarron isn't better than a top-four option in this year's class (Rosen-Darnold-Allen-Mayfield), maybe even top six (Jackson-Rudolph).  

If Jets get Cousins, Cleveland may go after Foles

19 hours ago, bananabucket said:

Good list, I think you're optimistic on few of them but someone is bound to slip through the cracks.  I think, barring someone major like Guice or Evans falling, our best bet would be taking one of the round 1 caliber interior OL prospects (Price/Wynn/Hernandez).  Guards tend to go lower than we expect so I'd be very surprised if one of them wasn't there for us.  All of them are instant starters and huge upgrades, cant expect more from your 2nd rounder.

I wouldnt rule out a CB either.  Someone like Isaiah Oliver, Carlton Davis, or Jaire Alexander would be nice.

I agree. I think the highest rated player that would be on the board (likely) will be at one of those interior lineman positions or RB. That is why if I want to get the most bang for my buck I take Chubb 1 and a lineman 2 as they would both likely be bpa at the time...and also biggest position of need. I've heard a lot of good about Wynn that I like...not only was he a really good LT that is moving inside but that I think he could be that backup tackle to swing outside in case of an injury. Depending what we land in FA might change if we go for a guard or tackle prospect but I got to think we really focus on our OL...because not only do they protect Luck but the better the line...the easier it would be for our runners. I can't rule out one of those corners...seems to be a pretty deep draft in the secondary again this year...not quite the talent at the top like last year but more in those 2nd to 3rd round range.

6 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Wht havent we heard of McCarron to Cleveland?  They wanted him last year. I guess they would still draft a QB, but perhaps not at #1.

I think he will end up there...I guess since he wasn't cut he would have to go through the normal FA period..just he is unrestricted now. I think that is a pretty good lock...start McCarron...sign your #1 qb to sit behind him and learn (I don't think any of these qbs are ready day 1) and then you have a solid backup or trade bait if McCarron shows value. I agree...they wanted him last year and now they don't have to give anything up but money (which they have a ton) so it seems a lock. I also think Cousins ends up in NY. He was raving about their coaching staff and the ties to the Shanahans and the offense. They also have a bunch of cap room. Seems there is a lot in common there to work with. Wouldn't be surprised that there is nobody looking to move up with us for a qb....maybe another player but Cleveland would be back in the cat bird seat to trade again if say Arizona or Buffalo wanted to move up in front of Denver.

2nd Round Big Board: 

1. Billy Price

2. Isiah Oliver

3. Taven Bryan / Mariuce Hurst 

4. Rashaan Evans

T5. Sony Michel 

T5. Kolton Miller

T6. Derrius Guice

T6. Adren Key

7. Isiah Wynn

8. Harold Landry 

9. Malik Jefferson

10. Will Hernandez

11. Ronald Jones 

12. Vander Esch

Very exciting options 

On 2/20/2018 at 1:34 PM, NewColtsFan said:

To me our two biggest needs are pass rush and offensive line.

Not only do I agree with you for the reasons you stated, but I will take it a step further.

I think the draft is setup so that BPA will be OL in the second round. There might be a bottleneck of first round potential offensive lineman who fall to our second pick. I could also see a couple of Edge players falling too.

I would like to move back to 5 or 6 and get the extra picks, to take advantage of the stack linebackers that could also bottleneck in the early second round.