Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So.....this is THE plan? (merge)

threeflight

1 hour ago, threeflight said:

I owned and trained race horses for 20 years.

One thing, beyond all, is key.

BREEDING TRUMPS EVERYTHING.

Yes, every once in a while you can breed a home bred mare to a $5 k claiming pacing Stallion and get a open or free for all horse.

But 99 times out of 100, if you want the true world class race horses?  You need to breed a world class mare with a world class stallion.

Sure, there will be duds, but % wise that is the best bet to getting the best of the best.

And sure, you can hire a  Frazier or a Reich.  And every once in a while you will find a Pederson.  But most of the time  You will hire a Pagano going that route.

If you want special, you cannot be afraid to pay for, and to go after it.  

Manning is special.

A horse breeding analogy. I’ve officially seen a bit of everything on this forum. :)

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, threeflight said:

I always get a kick out of people that will 100% support the company line no matter what.  No matter how bad things are, it is always pro xxx and anyone who disagrees is an *.

I see that a lot with the far pro left movement in this country as well.

I really see it a lot in stock trading.  I do that for a living and it amazes me how many times I see people supporting a stock and/or company regardless of how much money they are losing or getting fleeced.  

The fact is that Ballard screwed this up, with some help from McDaniels of course.  But we all knew who Josh was.

Now we are in February trying to get guys like Leslie Frazier.

Another instance of you being so far of base it is funny.

Obviously you are relatively new to the forum if you think I am someone who 100% supports the company.  I am probably one of the more cynical posters who is frequently very critical of the front office.

But, I also realize when things are sometimes just messed up and the fault doesn't fall on the Colt's organization/FO ... and I believe this is one of them.

If we wanted to get McDaniels (which I did), than there were certain risks that had to be taken due to league rules and them being in the SB.  Take Eberflus for instance: even taking him when we did the Cowboys were already trying to shuffle staff around to keep him onboard ... what do you think would have happened if we waited 3 more weeks to try to get him. So then you have the risk of the coach you wanted JM for instance getting second thoughts because the Colts neglected to get the staff he requested.  Risks were involved either way they went, and if JM was who you wanted you do what it takes to get him.

If Ballard didn't take the risk everyone would have been on him for that ... no risk no reward.

And really other than time who did we lose out on that was such a great hire by going after McDaniels? (We weren getting Peyton, Harbaugh, etc ... so keep it realistic).

2 hours ago, threeflight said:

I just want to get this straight.  

We hold onto Chuck WELL PAST his expiration date by a good 2-3 years.  Partly because of some bizarre loyalty that Irsay had to Chuck and lets face it, partly because Irsay could not find a better coach to take over.  But a sense of urgency is and was starting to be felt as Lucks best years are starting to feel.....wasted.

So we wait.

And wait.  Suffering.  But we wait for THE coach.

Then Chuck finally gets let go.  

And the best we could do was McDaniels.   I am not saying anything to knock him as a coach, because he very well might have been the best of the bunch, but lets face it, if he had been the OC for lets say the Houston Texans the past how many years with the same track record of success, yes he might have been coveted but he would not have nearly the mystique that he does now.  Being a Patriot and connected to Belly and Brady gave him all kinds of star power that he might not normally have had.  With what happened to him in Denver and St Louis?  I think he is good.....not great.

So Josh dumps us.  And here we are.  Entering a very crucial time of Lucks career after 6 long years of Chuck....and the best we can do apparently are Reich, Campbell, and Frazier?  

Really?

We waited 6 years for Lezlie Frazier??????????

Sorry, but at this time the team needs a coach with star power and huge credibility to bring back the fan base and to restore the shoe.  We went through this same scenario back in the late 90s and early 2000s and it wasn't until we got that star power coach in Dungy that things really took off.

I would be much happier in just biding our time, even going with an interim coach for now, rather than just hiring a "guy".  

If you can't find the right coach now?  Don't press your luck. Don't go all in until you have the nuts.  A Saban.  A Harbaugh.  A Peyton.  Hell I would even be open to bringing on Manning as an apprentice for a year under a teacher/coach, and then for Manning to take over a year from now, rather than just get a "guy".

We waited 6 years for this????

Take a breath & the short answer is evidently .

Saban sucks - Harbaugh held a grudge threw the holidays after the Raven beat the 49'ers & by the way he is able to be a great coach with kids in school but the NFL his success is limited because he is a mega jerk  , .& Peyton Manning we all love what he did as a QB here in INDY he has shown no inclination towards coaching & obviously in on no ones staff no experience what so ever so IMO a non starter , 

Everyone has an opinion these are going no where .

Its already been said enough, but why not one more time. Peyton Manning will go the John Elway route if he comes back. In other words, he will be the President of the team with control. He surely isn't going to be the head coach. EVER. He's way beyond that. Perhaps a part owner in a team as well. 

Whether or not he could mesh with Ballard is an unknown. Not having total control of key decision making might be a non starter for Peyton. But lets drop the Peyton for coach idea now and for all time, because it ain't happening. 

15 minutes ago, esmort said:

Another instance of you being so far of base it is funny.

Obviously you are relatively new to the forum if you think I am someone who 100% supports the company.  I am probably one of the more cynical posters who is frequently very critical of the front office.

But, I also realize when things are sometimes just messed up and the fault doesn't fall on the Colt's organization/FO ... and I believe this is one of them.

If we wanted to get McDaniels (which I did), than there were certain risks that had to be taken due to league rules and them being in the SB.  Take Eberflus for instance: even taking him when we did the Cowboys were already trying to shuffle staff around to keep him onboard ... what do you think would have happened if we waited 3 more weeks to try to get him. So then you have the risk of the coach you wanted JM for instance getting second thoughts because the Colts neglected to get the staff he requested.  Risks were involved either way they went, and if JM was who you wanted you do what it takes to get him.

If Ballard didn't take the risk everyone would have been on him for that ... no risk no reward.

And really other than time who did we lose out on that was such a great hire by going after McDaniels? (We weren getting Peyton, Harbaugh, etc ... so keep it realistic).

McDaniels got second thought abeciase the Colts didn't get the staff he wanted? Pete's? 

1 hour ago, threeflight said:

Refer to my race horse breeding analogy.

Hell I will do you even one better.  Back when I had a 50 horse stable, I RARELY bought yearlings or bred my own horses.  I claimed or bought them privately.  Because I did not have millions backing me up, I had to look for horses that may not have been racing great, hence why they were priced cheaper, but horses that did show me SOMETHING. Whether that be a race that pops up, or great gate speed, great breeding, just something.  Then I hoped to get them and improve upon them.  But I always looked for that specialness.  

I could give you countless examples where that strategy paid off.

With Reich or Frazier or Campbell?  I don't see special.  I see average.  The chances of any of them ever taking the Colts to the promised land are imo very low.  IF you can point to something in their background and pedigree other than just hope to prove me wrong, please show me.

If that is what you guys want?  A good chance of average?  By all means tote the company line and go all in in Leslie Frazier!!!!!! yayyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Blah Blah why all the horse talk ? Who cares ?

Now lets get back on track so to speak .

So you don't see anything special  " Reich Frazier Campbell "  Average is your word not mine heres why .

I will address Reich      OC just won Superbowl  no he might not of called the plays , We don't need him too .  I see him as a Dungy type  & I will point out Dungy had Tom Moore ,

For those who have short memories our offense was in place Tom Moore was OC when Dungy was hired . 

Dungy was a leader of men as is Reich from what I have read & heard we have an opportunity to also sign Darrell Bevell as OC  been Seatlles OC & has a Ring . 

These 2 coaches are special as a team HC  is a manager  ,

We have Eberflus  at DC Ballard believes in this guy & I believes in Ballard .

AVERAGE No No No stick to horses & leave the Colts to  Chris Ballard .

These Coaches are a Great start but we got to establish a running game & protect the QB plus finally field a defense that can stop the run. 

These Coaches are the first step & these Coachs are much better than you give them credit .

56 minutes ago, threeflight said:

I always get a kick out of people that will 100% support the company line no matter what.  No matter how bad things are, it is always pro xxx and anyone who disagrees is an *.

I see that a lot with the far pro left movement in this country as well.

I really see it a lot in stock trading.  I do that for a living and it amazes me how many times I see people supporting a stock and/or company regardless of how much money they are losing or getting fleeced.  

The fact is that Ballard screwed this up, with some help from McDaniels of course.  But we all knew who Josh was.

Now we are in February trying to get guys like Leslie Frazier.

So in other words, anyone that disagrees with you is a mindless sheep? 

57 minutes ago, dgambill said:

... They also rave about the character of the man. A motivational speaker...very devout Christian (I know that won't mean much to some but it's a character I admire). Those are some pretty special qualities my friend. He has a pretty unique and special background...and yes one I think can be successful as a HC in the NFL. You might want to read up on the guy...or at least check his wiki page...he is pretty accomplished.

I was very impressed when I looked up Reich's background. He really comes across as a very good man.

But then, I wonder if maybe he might be too nice of a guy to be a head coach?

McD would have gone to his 2nd HC job in much the same fashion that BB did....having failed at his first attempt.

Any assumptions on how he would have done his 2nd time around is PURE speculation and there is NO facts to back it up....just hope/speculation.

Instead, McD blew it and lathered himself in a rotten stench so much that the rest of the league is running away from him.  Too bad for him....

This is all on Irsay. Pagano was brought it to be a defensive "guru" type of coach and it was obviously apparent years before he was fired that he was anything but. Grigson was supposed to be a "draft guru" type of GM who could find diamonds in the rough like nobody's business. In reality, he was a legend in his own mind. It was painfully obvious that both those guys should have been gone years before they were, but Irsay was too stubborn to admit he was wrong. Indirectly lead to Luck getting injured and putting a rare talent QB's career in jeopardy. Here we are again. Jury still out on Ballard, but had no plan for a head coach except bringing in a guy with questionable head coaching skills and questionable moral fiber/integrity. Irsay handled a dream situation with Luck coming in on rookie contract as bad as possible.  I put the blame where it should be......Irsay.

13 minutes ago, presto123 said:

This is all on Irsay. Pagano was brought it to be a defensive "guru" type of coach and it was obviously apparent years before he was fired that he was anything but. Grigson was supposed to be a "draft guru" type of GM who could find diamonds in the rough like nobody's business. In reality, he was a legend in his own mind. It was painfully obvious that both those guys should have been gone years before they were, but Irsay was too stubborn to admit he was wrong. Indirectly lead to Luck getting injured and putting a rare talent QB's career in jeopardy. Here we are again. Jury still out on Ballard, but had no plan for a head coach except bringing in a guy with questionable head coaching skills and questionable moral fiber/integrity. Irsay handled a dream situation with Luck coming in on rookie contract as bad as possible.  I put the blame where it should be......Irsay.

I disagree on Pagano.  I like the direction he was taking the defense in but he just never got the talent to make it effective, especially with the offensive line struggles that forced the offense to go 3 and out far more often than they should have.  Pagano's issues were more on overall game management, game planning and his apparent stubborn refusal to get away from the Air Coryell offense.

39 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

McDaniels got second thought abeciase the Colts didn't get the staff he wanted? Pete's? 

I don't understand what you are asking? I think you may have misunderstood what I said. 

I was suggesting  IF the Colts had not went ahead and started assembling the staff JM wanted (Eberflus, etc..)  prior to him being able to officially sign that that might have resulted in him backing out for a different reason (at the very least it would have caused issues).  I was NOT saying that was the reason that he did end up backing out. 

29 minutes ago, presto123 said:

That is pretty indirect, you might say that one didn't have anything to do with the other..

I'm not totally sure how McDaniels being scum is Irsay's fault either. If anything Irsay needed sold on the idea, because his gut instinct on bringing the Patriot way to Indy was where it needed to be initially, it was Ballard who didn't truly get the scope of how much the two franchises don't play nice. He got that wrong, but I'm guessing he get's it now.

I also don't get where you're coming up with "no plan". He's interviewed how many people now? 

8 minutes ago, esmort said:

I don't understand what you are asking? I think you may have misunderstood what I said. 

I was suggesting  IF the Colts had not went ahead and started assembling the staff JM wanted (Eberflus, etc..)  prior to him being able to officially sign that that might have resulted in him backing out for a different reason (at the very least it would have caused issues).  I was NOT saying that was the reason that he did end up backing out. 

Gotcha. I misunderstood you. 

4 minutes ago, The Fish said:

That is pretty indirect, you might say that one didn't have anything to do with the other..

I'm not totally sure how McDaniels being scum is Irsay's fault either. If anything Irsay needed sold on the idea, because his gut instinct on bringing the Patriot way to Indy was where it needed to be initially, it was Ballard who didn't get truly get the scope of how much the two franchises don't play nice. He got that wrong, but I'm guessing he get's it now.

I also don't get where you're coming up with "no plan". He's interviewed how many people now? 

Oh really? You don't think that Grigson's refusal to build the O Line first had anything to do with Luck getting pounded? No plan means that Irsay should have been starting the head coaching search far earlier than what he did. We all knew Pagano was gone early in the season.

13 minutes ago, presto123 said:

Oh really? You don't think that Grigson's refusal to build the O Line first had anything to do with Luck getting pounded? No plan means that Irsay should have been starting the head coaching search far earlier than what he did. We all knew Pagano was gone early in the season.

Grigson didn't refuse to build an O line. He drafted quite a few of them and brought in free agents too. The issue was he sucked as a talent evaluator. 

Not to be pedantic, but if you go and look at the plays Luck got hurt on, I believe both were him running around. You'll get no argument from me that the O line is good or that it's not affecting his play, but it wasn't exclusively their fault Luck got hit hard enough to hurt him either.

As far as what Irsay should have been doing, are you saying he should have actually meddled in the coaching search? Because, depending on the day of the week or who you ask, that's one of his toxic qualities. By all indications, up to reports that Ballard was picking Brissett's brain about McDainiels, he had it in his mind early that Pagano was likely not going to be able to pull out enough wins to stick around. Not that we're privy to details, but I'd wager the coaching search did start early, Ballard just picked the wrong guy..

Not that I want to be mad at him, but if we're looking to blame someone, he get's his for that choice.

11 minutes ago, presto123 said:

Grigson didn't refuse to build the OL.  He just made some really bad choices in trying to fix it.

19 minutes ago, presto123 said:

If you go back and look at the history of Grigson's drafts and the free agents he signed you will notice he did try to build an O-line. The players just didn't pan out. If you are going to point fingers for a reason maybe it would be a good thing to have some knowledge of what you are whining about.

3 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

It is what it is at this point and to me Frank is the best of that bunch.

This is what we should all agree with. Make the best out of a terrible situation. Never heard of Frazier so no opinion there. Not sure where the Manning stuff came from either. Dudes making some serious dough:D, doesnt need football anymore.

3 hours ago, threeflight said:

And now this time around, those other 4 or 5 guys that you interviewed before aren't worth it?  I realize a couple of them got hired, but why weren't Frazier and Reich interviewed last month if they were so great?

According to reports, Jimmy's girls wanted someone younger, and they only interviewed younger candidates.  

Now that the snot-nosed brat in a visor made them look foolish, they've said, screw that, and are interviewing the older, experienced guys.  

4 hours ago, threeflight said:

Look, I don't even know if Manning would be interested.  No idea.

The original point of the thread was, do not wait 6 years with Pagano, and waste any more of Lucks years, with coaches like Frazier or Reich.  Either go for special and think outside of the box, or wait until you TRULY have the guy. 

Wait.. there was a point?

4 hours ago, threeflight said:

Look, I don't even know if Manning would be interested.  No idea.

The original point of the thread was, do not wait 6 years with Pagano, and waste any more of Lucks years, with coaches like Frazier or Reich.  Either go for special and think outside of the box, or wait until you TRULY have the guy. 

Your viewpont made me think of this. And Hot Air ballons.

https://youtu.be/iiMVv-0uek0

If...IF I had to go after a guy that was from the known group of candidates?  

I would go Toub. He just strikes me as a guy that everyone respects.  And he is sharp.

But he would have to be brought in with an OC that was special.  I might look into the college ranks for that, or someone from possibly the Chargers group of assistants.  I really like the offense they run.

6 hours ago, threeflight said:

I am not saying it was in the plan for him to back out.

But even McDaniles was a reach of sorts.  He has enough red flags flying over him to make China happy.

If we are going to suffer through 6 years of Chuck, especially the last 3, waiting for THE COACH?  I would hope we could do better than Frazier, Reich, and Campbell. 

I love it man.  lmao

6 hours ago, threeflight said:

I am not saying it was in the plan for him to back out.

But even McDaniles was a reach of sorts.  He has enough red flags flying over him to make China happy.

If we are going to suffer through 6 years of Chuck, especially the last 3, waiting for THE COACH?  I would hope we could do better than Frazier, Reich, and Campbell. 

I believe back in the day. Jim Mora was fired AFTER Dungy became available, so the path was made for a coveted coach.  Or at least the firing of each coach was pretty close to each other.

You'd think we could've been eyeballing a coach we liked, then fired Pagano to make room for him.  After all.....Irsay is one of the best owners to work for so naturally the best coaches would line up for the job, so you would automatically be able to get that coach we had our eye on.

So why isn't the best coaching candidate over the past few years not already the coach for the Colts?  I get your point.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I believe back in the day. Jim Mora was fired AFTER Dungy became available, so the path was made for a coveted coach.  Or at least the firing of each coach was pretty close to each other.

You'd think we could've been eyeballing a coach we liked, then fired Pagano to make room for him.  After all.....Irsay is one of the best owners to work for so naturally the best coaches would line up for the job, so you would automatically be able to get that coach we had our eye on.

So why isn't the best coaching candidate over the past few years not already the coach for the Colts?  I get your point.

Right.  I mean I am not saying we need to wait for Vince Lombardi to come back to life, but have we not learned our lesson??

Tony Dungy was by far the highest profile, and most respected coach, we have had in a long time.  Maybe since Shula?  And we got rid of a good coach, and good guy in Mora, to get him.  

And even with that, we still only got one SB win out of the Manning years.  Here we have another "potential once in a generation QB" with Luck, and we are talking about going from Chuck Pagano to someone like Leslie Frazier or Frank Reich?  No disrespect to either man, but I don't believe either man moves the needle when it comes to coaches who people believe might be the next great coach in the NFL.  We more or less wasted 6 years with Pagano...who was a reach.  Do we really want to waste more of Luck's years on another reach?

Either go all in or don't. I for the life of me cannot believe Robert Irsay wants to go to someone like Leslie Frazier after just spending 6 years with Chuck.  He has always talked about getting the best.  Well......then do it.

If they have to wait a year to do that?  I would rather do that then be tied to a Frazier for 4 years.

19 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Right.  I mean I am not saying we need to wait for Vince Lombardi to come back to life, but have we not learned our lesson??

Tony Dungy was by far the highest profile, and most respected coach, we have had in a long time.  Maybe since Shula?  And we got rid of a good coach, and good guy in Mora, to get him.  

And even with that, we still only got one SB win out of the Manning years.  Here we have another "potential once in a generation QB" with Luck, and we are talking about going from Chuck Pagano to someone like Leslie Frazier or Frank Reich?  No disrespect to either man, but I don't believe either man moves the needle when it comes to coaches who people believe might be the next great coach in the NFL.  We more or less wasted 6 years with Pagano...who was a reach.  Do we really want to waste more of Luck's years on another reach?

Either go all in or don't. I for the life of me cannot believe Robert Irsay wants to go to someone like Leslie Frazier after just spending 6 years with Chuck.  He has always talked about getting the best.  Well......then do it.

If they have to wait a year to do that?  I would rather do that then be tied to a Frazier for 4 years.

Mora was 6-10 the year he got fired, ranted "playoffs", and had the nerve to throw PM under the bus after a game where he threw 5 interceptions.  Mora was on his way out anyway.

But to your point, I can't figure why Irsay would think Pagano was the guy for so long.  We know Grigson never did after the second year working with him.  So, yeah, why isn't our HC here already. 

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Mora was 6-10 the year he got fired, ranted "playoffs", and had the nerve to throw PM under the bus after a game where he threw 5 interceptions.  Mora was on his way out anyway.

But to your point, I can't figure why Irsay would think Pagano was the guy for so long.  We know Grigson never did after the second year working with him.  So, yeah, why isn't our HC here already. 

I think he felt as if he couldn't fire him after the division championships and then the AFC champ game. 

But I think we all knew, and I hope that Irsay did too, that none of those Colts teams were very good.

They really benefited from Lucks heroics and a weakkkkkkkkkkk division.

We probably could have had Harbaugh.  I know it would have sucked to fire Chuck after being in the AFC championship game, but if we were going to strike, that was the time.

I shudder to think what Luck "should" have been by now with any type of proper coaching, O line, and good GM skills.  What a freaking waste.

7 minutes ago, threeflight said:

I think he felt as if he couldn't fire him after the division championships and then the AFC champ game. 

But I think we all knew, and I hope that Irsay did too, that none of those Colts teams were very good.

They really benefited from Lucks heroics and a weakkkkkkkkkkk division.

We probably could have had Harbaugh.  I know it would have sucked to fire Chuck after being in the AFC championship game, but if we were going to strike, that was the time.

I shudder to think what Luck "should" have been by now with any type of proper coaching, O line, and good GM skills.  What a freaking waste.

No worries.  What's past is past and the ship will get righted.

7 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

I agree with you 100%.  Being a great player and being a great coach are two different things.  Most great coaches were mediocre players.  It is a completely different mindset.  I don't think Peyton wants to coach.  He is more of the type to run an organization.  Name a great player who has turned into a great coach?  I think we need to put that baby to bed and be realistic.

7 hours ago, J@son said:

but what makes you think Manning wcould be THE guy over these other coaches who have previous coaching experience.  the greatest players don't always make the best coaches.  How many guys are in the HOF as both player and coach?

Thank you Lenny & Jason for saying what needed to be said. Most of us on here respect Peyton Manning tremendously. I just don't understand why some forum members automatically think elite QBs would translate into elite coaches or front office personnel later in life. It never unfolds that way. Besides, like NCF said earlier, future HOF quarterbacks want to have a life. You know go to a movie, eat at a nice restaurant, chill with their kids. NFL coaching is a huge commitment that just destroys any free, leisure time you once had. 

Not only that, often times just because an athlete played ball at an elite level; it doesn't necessarily mean that they can find & perfect the next HOF QB. John Elway is still scrabbling to find the next #18 in Denver & even though #7 himself was great...John can't draft a franchise QB to save his life. 

Look, I get what 3Flight was driving at. Bring in Manning & see if he can use his stellar film study mastery to take our offense to another level. I'm not gonna crucify 3Flight for that or make horse breeding jokes. He's just trying to bring in a proven football genius. I get it. It won't work, but I applaud the suggestion nevertheless. 

At this point, all any of us are doing is throwing darts at a board anyway. 

1 minute ago, southwest1 said:

Look, I get what 3Flight was driving at. Bring in Manning & see if he can use his stellar film study mastery to take our offense to another level. I'm not gonna crucify 3Flight for that or make horse breeding jokes. He's just trying to bring in a proven football genius. I get it. It won't work, but I applaud the suggestion nevertheless. 

At this point, all any of us are doing is throwing darts at a board anyway. 

That is is worse