Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So.....this is THE plan? (merge)

threeflight

36 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

What reason would irsay have to make intentionally insulting comments, either directly, back-handedly, or passive-aggressively?

I never felt the intent was there, and there is no evidence to think otherwise.

This post is only addressing the above and not any kind of defense for manning as a coach or gm.

you tell me

and the OP only mentioned manning at the very end as a last gasp

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Ballard has shown he can talk a good game.  But as far as walking it?  I haven't seen it.

Hes barely been here over a year. It's still too early to tell one way or the other about him. He did have a very promising draft and a decent FA period last off season. I don't see any reason not to trust him. I'm sure hes doing his best after getting screwed over.

26 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Hes barely been here over a year. It's still too early to tell one way or the other about him. He did have a very promising draft and a decent FA period last off season. I don't see any reason not to trust him. I'm sure hes doing his best after getting screwed over.

You have incredible patience.

I need to learn your mindset.

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

You can but don’t always have too

Yeah, I know I just got tired of paying for cable and watching just a couple of channels. I quit watching all the sports channels except for Fox for the Pacers games. Now I just stream the Pacer games and don't miss paying for 90 channels I never watched. :sip:

1 hour ago, threeflight said:

And based on McDaniels history and what he just did, we are supposed to put faith in Ballards judgement after he went after McDaniels so hard????

Was he going after McDaniels because he really thought he was the best guy?  Or was he going after him because he was blinded by the Patriots mystique and failed to see what * McDaniels  is?? 

If he couldn't see McDaniels faults..which seem so obvious.....how can we trust him to pick a good coach?  I don't know about you, but I can normally see an a hole when I meet them.

McDaniels fooled a lot more people than just Ballard.  He also convinced Dungy, Irsay and many others that he'd reformed.  You're acting like everyone on the planet knew McDaniels would back out at the last minute except for Ballard and that's not true.  I wouldn't believe for a second that YOU knew McD would back out the way he did.  

1 hour ago, threeflight said:

Lets go back a month.  Lets pretend that McDaniels was never even in the picture and that Reich, Campbell, and Frazier were the 3 lead candidates being presented to the fan base.  

I don' think our first impression would be "wow, that is a great group of future NFL coaches".  None of these 3 were even in on the first round of interviews a month ago.  It seems so....random.

But that is where we are.  We have waited 6 years through the Pagano era to get to this???  This group of guys?

Not to mention, none of these 3 guys have anything in common personality and scheme wise.  Reich is cerebral and known as an Offensive guy.  Frazier is known as a calm leader with no real specialty.  Campbell is known as a rah rah guy and that is about it.  

Where is the strategy here?  What is next?  What is the imprint that you want to put onto the team?  Do you want to help Luck with a O guru or hire a cheerleader?  Do you have an idea about how you want this team to move forward or is Ballard just winging it with no real idea about what he wants?

It's mystifying.  

And even if you want to add in McDaniels......what was it he saw in him that made him so badly want him?  He couldn't see what * he is in those 2 interviews, especially since he had a bad rep from the past to go by?

It seems as if he is just throwing darts at a dart board.

You're probably right, it's just a game of darts.  You can't revise history to fit your narrative.  A month ago there were four or five candidates, four of whom interviewed?  They included the men who universally were considered the best available.  And offered a varied skill set, were diverse and distinct. 

When you're the last to hire sometimes you get what's left.  That doesn't mean junk.  That means not selected yet, and still available.  When the first choice declines the offer, you go on to plan B, and maybe C, D, etc.  Welcome to the real world.  And this literally crazy idea that Harbaugh/Dabo/Meyer/Saban or Manning or the ghost of Curly Lambeau is who the Colts should hire is a waste of breath, energy, and time.  These are the candidates.  You can hate them.  Most of us don't, and can understand why we're all here.  McDaniels was on a team that made the Colts wait, by rule, until the majority of other coaching contenders were signed elsewhere.  That is a risk you take looking at coaches on Super Bowl teams.  It didn't work out for the Colts.   

Go back through all of the posts on this board post-Pagano firing, and you'll see Reich mentioned a ton.  He was on a lot of "if we go with no prior HC experience" lists of candidates we all tossed around.  Because the Colts are just now interviewing him is a result of of the process.  We all heard Toub until we said it in our sleep, and he didn't even get an interview anywhere I don't think.  It's not an exact science.  Ballard has his list, and he's working through it. 

I think you're lost in the weeds on this.  Look at who was hired this season.  Is Vrabel any better than Nagy, or Patricia, or Wilks, or Reich?  Some of them will become the Holmgren's and Dungy's, or the next Tomlin, McCarthy, Carroll or Harbaugh...   This is how the NFL has always hired HCs.  Lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater just because the names you see have no neon lights surrounding them yet. 

6 hours ago, chrisfarley said:

Don't know how this became a Manning vs. everyone else thread.  Look, Manning wouldn't ever coach or GM for an owner that made weird, indirect comments about him.  Peyton has done the right thing coming to Indy to participate in any and all ceremonies and accepting accolades, throws no stones at Irsay publicly, but is not going to work for him, ever.  Let's be realistic with these last few coaching candidates, there is no ringer among the names we've heard.  Sign someone to a short-term contract and be done with it.  Like a probationary period.  Don't break the bank on these guys. Better candidates will surface down the road.  This is chalked up to an inexperienced GM and a weak-spined, immature, classless little Josh of a McDaniel who's father is secretly cringing right now and who he (JM) has no traits of.  A GM (Ballard) who is a capable one, but one who is cutting his teeth.

Sooooo, uuhhhh.....with all that insider info you have, who's the next Colts Coach? 

17 minutes ago, J@son said:

McDaniels fooled a lot more people than just Ballard.  He also convinced Dungy, Irsay and many others that he'd reformed.  You're acting like everyone on the planet knew McDaniels would back out at the last minute except for Ballard and that's not true.  I wouldn't believe for a second that YOU knew McD would back out the way he did.  

Yeah... 

I don't subscribe to much of @threeflight 's line of thinking on this issue, but I will say, that when I read about McDaniel's walking out of the agreement, I wasn't really surprised...

However, you are correct, many reputable sources backed McD, & one would assume that he was genuinely looking to move on to a HC position, the Colts weren't the only team who showed interest in him, etc.

Anyways, good riddance...

7 hours ago, J@son said:

That's not the definition of insanity. It's merely a quote from Albert Einstein.

Einstein - "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

But how does that jive against this:

"If at first you don't succeed, try and try again"

Mind. Blown...

mind blown.gif

23 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

Steve Wilks should be the Head Coach of Indianapolis Colts. .If you don't see it Im sorry..Now we r in scramble mode ...Not ideal.Falls on 1 man's feet...

You didn't even know who Steve Wilks was until he had been announced as a candidate.    You had likely never even heard of him.   You had to look him up to even have a clue.

If you met Steve Wilks you wouldn't even know him and now you're telling everyone that you know better than Chris Ballard?

These are the kind of posts you make that has cemented you as a legend here on this site....

Goodess gracious...    

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You didn't even know who Steve Wilks was until he had been announced as a candidate.    You had linely never even heard of him.    You had to look him up to even have a clue.

If you met Steve Wilks you woukdnt even know him and now you're telling everyone that you know better than Chris Ballard?

These are the kind of posts you make that has cemented you as a legend here on this site....

Goodess gracious...    

That out of the first round of candidates he by far stood out to me as the best guy?? Ballard had his eyes on McDaniels the whole time, incuding last year...

On 2/8/2018 at 1:02 PM, Boiler_Colt said:

And also explicitly stated by several more. None of us know anything about what is going on. I just don't take what people say to the public as 100% fact. People absolutely should be concerned about Luck's status. To blindly hope that he's going to be just fine and better than ever is a tad naive when everything the Colts have said about him previously did not come to pass.

Ballard did not evade the status of Andrew. Working on his throwing motion with tennis balls, getting his strength where it should be and nothing he has heard suggest he needs another surgery.

We’re all frustrated at this point about Andrew’s health but we’ll know soon enough. 

What’s wrong with hoping for the best?

3 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Ballard did not evade the status of Andrew. Working on his throwing motion with tennis balls, getting his strength where it should be and nothing he has heard suggest he needs another surgery.

We’re all frustrated at this point about Andrew’s health but we’ll know soon enough. 

What’s wrong with hoping for the best?

Absolutely nothing wrong with hoping for the best. But hope is all we have because no one really knows for sure.

2 hours ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

You're probably right, it's just a game of darts.  You can't revise history to fit your narrative.  A month ago there were four or five candidates, four of whom interviewed?  They included the men who universally were considered the best available.  And offered a varied skill set, were diverse and distinct. 

When you're the last to hire sometimes you get what's left.  That doesn't mean junk.  That means not selected yet, and still available.  When the first choice declines the offer, you go on to plan B, and maybe C, D, etc.  Welcome to the real world.  And this literally crazy idea that Harbaugh/Dabo/Meyer/Saban or Manning or the ghost of Curly Lambeau is who the Colts should hire is a waste of breath, energy, and time.  These are the candidates.  You can hate them.  Most of us don't, and can understand why we're all here.  McDaniels was on a team that made the Colts wait, by rule, until the majority of other coaching contenders were signed elsewhere.  That is a risk you take looking at coaches on Super Bowl teams.  It didn't work out for the Colts.   

Go back through all of the posts on this board post-Pagano firing, and you'll see Reich mentioned a ton.  He was on a lot of "if we go with no prior HC experience" lists of candidates we all tossed around.  Because the Colts are just now interviewing him is a result of of the process.  We all heard Toub until we said it in our sleep, and he didn't even get an interview anywhere I don't think.  It's not an exact science.  Ballard has his list, and he's working through it. 

I think you're lost in the weeds on this.  Look at who was hired this season.  Is Vrabel any better than Nagy, or Patricia, or Wilks, or Reich?  Some of them will become the Holmgren's and Dungy's, or the next Tomlin, McCarthy, Carroll or Harbaugh...   This is how the NFL has always hired HCs.  Lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater just because the names you see have no neon lights surrounding them yet. 

Agree with you completely!    I think most of these negative post are from patriots posing as fans, looking at a few in this forum you have got to see this. You would have to be blind to think they are serious some times lmao 

7 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Reich just helped his team win a Super Bowl. How is he a loser?

He was merely along for the ride, he’s failed everywhere else he’s been at. He doesn’t even call the plays in Philadelphia. Most importantly though you’ll find out next year, if he’s hired, how much of a loser he is.  There are no good candidates and the Colts are going to have another string of loser years.  Hope I am wrong but mark my words the Colts will have a different coach then the one they are about to hire the next time they make the playoffs.  It’s an awful time to be a Colts fan.

7 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

He has made 2 major mistakes so far..Going into the season with Tolzien as starter, and his head coaching search has been a complete disaster...That being said, his first draft and free agency were solid...He Definitely doesn't walk on water though like some on here think...I'm not crowning him yet..

So Ballard doesn't walk on water but Wilks "the legend" does, right?

24 minutes ago, Andrew86 said:

He was merely along for the ride, he’s failed everywhere else he’s been at. He doesn’t even call the plays in Philadelphia. Most importantly though you’ll find out next year, if he’s hired, how much of a loser he is.  There are no good candidates and the Colts are going to have another string of loser years.  Hope I am wrong but mark my words the Colts will have a different coach then the one they are about to hire the next time they make the playoffs.  It’s an awful time to be a Colts fan.

Dude, I have been a Colts fan since right before Robert Irsay traded for the team. What the Colts are going through right now is nothing.

How you can say Reich is a loser before he has a chance is pretty narrow minded of you. 'The head coaches job is to be a leader. He don't have to be a wizard at offense or defense. That is what the coordinators jobs are. He just oversees everyone under Ballard.

All you bring is negativity. The NFL is by design to have teams move up and down and teams do it every year.

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Dude, I have been a Colts fan since right before Robert Irsay traded for the team. What the Colts are going through right now is nothing.

How you can say Reich is a loser before he has a chance is pretty narrow minded of you. 'The head coaches job is to be a leader. He don't have to be a wizard at offense or defense. That is what the coordinators jobs are. He just oversees everyone under Ballard.

All you bring is negativity. The NFL is by design to have teams move up and down and teams do it every year.

I appreciate your input and respect your longevity.  Like I said I hope I am wrong but I look at these candidates and see losers and I don’t see any of them as the coach that’s going to make the Colts great again.  Only time will tell.  In about 10 months from now one of us is going to be looking back here and feeling pretty dumb and I hope it’s me.  

18 minutes ago, Andrew86 said:

I appreciate your input and respect your longevity.  Like I said I hope I am wrong but I look at these candidates and see losers and I don’t see any of them as the coach that’s going to make the Colts great again.  Only time will tell.  In about 10 months from now one of us is going to be looking back here and feeling pretty dumb and I hope it’s me.  

Now just why would either one of us feel dumb? What you have to keep in mind we are just fans. We have no control over what goes on with any part of the team. Opinions are just opinions and are not facts. There are way too many variables to anticipate if a team can be good or bad. That's the NFL. Bottom teams can be top teams in as little as one season. The Colts have proved that. We went from 2-14 to 11-5 in one season. That was with a rookie head coach. To say ahead of time the Colts are going to be losers next season is way too pre mature no matter who the head coach is.

5 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

That out of the first round of candidates he by far stood out to me as the best guy?? Ballard had his eyes on McDaniels the whole time, incuding last year...

I'm not even sure you realize that Wilks NEVER INTERVIEWED with the Colts.

He backed out at the last minute.

So how did he wow you again?   You googled him?     You liked that he had been a DC of a team LOADED with high quality defensive talent for exactly ONE SEASON!

Hello?

So,  what did you love about him again?

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

I never said Wilks was a legend..I said out of all the candidates he was by far the most impressive...They might all suck tbh..

On 2/8/2018 at 8:50 PM, jshipp23 said:

Have you listened to Wilks? Wilks will be a legend, needs a QB though, thats the #1..

Why lie?

7 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Sooooo, uuhhhh.....with all that insider info you have, who's the next Colts Coach? 

If they end the interview process now, it's Reich.  Irsay and Ballard might be doing shots to see who passes out first, last man standing gets to name his coach.  I think Irsay wins that game.

48 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not even sure you realize that Wilks NEVER INTERVIEWED with the Colts.

He backed out at the last minute.

So how did he wow you again?   You googled him?     You liked that he had been a DC of a team LOADED with high quality defensive talent for exactly ONE SEASON!

Hello?

So,  what did you love about him again?

His knowledge of game, his presence, and charisma...

9 hours ago, Pelt said:

Einstein - "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

But how does that jive against this:

"If at first you don't succeed, try and try again"

Mind. Blown...

mind blown.gif

Thank you Pelt. I needed a good laugh. I still have no idea why Jason felt compelled to leave the response he did. So be it. Some people just have a compulsion to correct others I guess.