Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who is under more pressure ballard or mcdaniels

CR91

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He has a lot to prove I agree. He has to show he can be 2014 Luck again. Ballard being the GM needs to put a team around him though. McDaniels has pressure too, as a HeadCoach you have to have winning seasons obviously or you are a fail.

Well, I dont feel he has anything to prove other than getting healthy...if that is what you meant. I just meant each guy hits the pillow each night carrying pressure...it's Luck that the world is watching. 

1 minute ago, Four2itus said:

Well, I dont feel he has anything to prove other than getting healthy...if that is what you meant. I just meant each guy hits the pillow each night carrying pressure...it's Luck that the world is watching. 

With Luck healthy, we go from 4-12 to 8-8 at worse, maybe even 9-7 in just 1 season with a Bad team. Put a Good to Great team around him, he will be as Great as anyone.

I think the most pressure will be on McDaniels, in the beginning. He's coming in with high expectations, and his hiring is being met with skepticism and raised eyebrows by many -- not just the trolls, either; there are legitimate concerns surrounding McDaniels, some that even I remain nervous about, and McDaniels was preferred choice all along. And a coach can be graded on his game day decisions from Week 1, especially a retread, and especially someone like McDaniels who is supposed to be more prepared to be a head coach than almost anyone else in the last several years. 

If McDaniels starts off 1-3 or something like that, especially if Luck is back, and especially if he botches a late game decision or the offense struggles, there will be a lot of noise.

Ballard, on the other hand, has time. One, he's a GM, and GMs don't really start feeling any heat until at least Year 3, unless they do something obviously stupid before then. He basically got a redshirt season in 2017, where he was hitched to a coach he didn't hire, took over a bad roster with a hurt QB, and seemed to take the approach of setting the table for himself in 2018 and beyond. I think he's done a good job of that. His draft picks can't reasonably be graded until after at least two years, and his free agent signings so far have been measured, reserved, not a true indication of his ability to build a roster. 

But now, he's connected himself with McDaniels, and the way this coaching search went, it seems obvious that he's getting his number one target. In a year or two, if it's looking like Denver 2.0 with McDaniels, Ballard will be solely responsible. This is his guy, 100%.

And in a year or two, if the roster doesn't look like it's well on its way, Ballard will be feeling the heat. If McDaniels busts and Ballard's drafting doesn't look good, look out. Irsay doesn't have a quick hook, so it's not likely that Ballard will be in danger of getting fired, but he will have a lot of questions to answer.

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think the most pressure will be on McDaniels, in the beginning. He's coming in with high expectations, and his hiring is being met with skepticism and raised eyebrows by many -- not just the trolls, either; there are legitimate concerns surrounding McDaniels, some that even I remain nervous about, and McDaniels was preferred choice all along. And a coach can be graded on his game day decisions from Week 1, especially a retread, and especially someone like McDaniels who is supposed to be more prepared to be a head coach than almost anyone else in the last several years. 

If McDaniels starts off 1-3 or something like that, especially if Luck is back, and especially if he botches a late game decision or the offense struggles, there will be a lot of noise.

Ballard, on the other hand, has time. One, he's a GM, and GMs don't really start feeling any heat until at least Year 3, unless they do something obviously stupid before then. He basically got a redshirt season in 2017, where he was hitched to a coach he didn't hire, took over a bad roster with a hurt QB, and seemed to take the approach of setting the table for himself in 2018 and beyond. I think he's done a good job of that. His draft picks can't reasonably be graded until after at least two years, and his free agent signings so far have been measured, reserved, not a true indication of his ability to build a roster. 

But now, he's connected himself with McDaniels, and the way this coaching search went, it seems obvious that he's getting his number one target. In a year or two, if it's looking like Denver 2.0 with McDaniels, Ballard will be solely responsible. This is his guy, 100%.

And in a year or two, if the roster doesn't look like it's well on its way, Ballard will be feeling the heat. If McDaniels busts and Ballard's drafting doesn't look good, look out. Irsay doesn't have a quick hook, so it's not likely that Ballard will be in danger of getting fired, but he will have a lot of questions to answer.

You should go over to ESPN's Site and read the Posts regarding the McDaniels hire. I mean it is brutal. I think people just like to Troll over there and have very little Football knowledge. A lot of people want to see us fail too because they think we were gifted Andrew by tanking and because of Deflategate. Out of the possible candidates, I cant see how anyone could think this is a bad hire. People keep bringing up Denver but that was 10 years ago. What was Belichicks record before joining NE I would ask lmao.

Ballard without questions the fate of the whole franchise is on his shoulders. I mean McDaniels didn't hire Ballard Ballard hired him it was his decision like all other big decisions is on Ballard. He's selecting the coach he's selecting the draft picks he's selecting the free agent's everything. If he fails he may never get another GM job. I mean if JM fails he'll at least always be an OC.    

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You should go over to ESPN's Site and read the Posts regarding the McDaniels hire. I mean it is brutal. I think people just like to Troll over there and have very little Football knowledge. A lot of people want to see us fail too because they think we were gifted Andrew by tanking and because of Deflategate. Out of the possible candidates, I cant see how anyone could think this is a bad hire. People keep bringing up Denver but that was 10 years ago. What was Belichicks record before joining NE I would ask lmao.

Why would any rational person ever go take a look at the comments section?

The comments section is an outter ring of Hell.   It does not attract the best or the brightest.   I rarely care what anyone thinks in the comments section.

Come on now....

I think it's on McDaniels. He had a bad tenure in Denver and is mostly looked at as a potentially bad head coach. I think he will do much better this time around, just because Ballard is actively trying to create a better environment as well as a winning culture.

I'm not really sure that it matters who has the most pressure.    There are good arguments for all of them.   

But this is what they all signed up for...

Ballard wants this.    

McDaniels wants this.

So does Luck.    The difficult journey makes the winning that much sweeter.

If it goes badly, I'm not sure it really matters who was under more pressure....

Just saying....

9 minutes ago, colt18 said:

I think it's on McDaniels. He had a bad tenure in Denver and is mostly looked at as a potentially bad head coach. I think he will do much better this time around, just because Ballard is actively trying to create a better environment as well as a winning culture.

In retrospect he made a lot of smart moves in Denver.  Trading Cutler was brilliant as it is obvious he sucked now. His issue is he is not the best evaluater of QB talent as he thought Tebow could go in and take his place. 

Coaches are always under pressure.  They are the guys everyone seem to zero in on when things go wrong. They are in the public eye more than a GM.   But from an organizational view I think Ballard is under more pressure because now he has hired his coach and he has the cap space and a high draft pick to use to greatly improve the roster for his new coach.  McDaniels will hopefully have a healthy Luck which automatically improves his chances to be competitive and improve on last years record.  Ballard on the other hand needs to hit it big in FA and with his draft.  If he does everyone is happy.  If he doesn't fix some of our major issues, especially OL among others, he will feel the heat more than McDaniels IMO.  Ballard has the tools he needs to greatly improve this roster.  I think Irsay is expecting him to deliver with those tools.  He had his pick of coaches for the most part and got his first choice.  Now If I'm Ballard I'm feeling the pressure right now.  

Sorry but I think it’s McDaniels and by a large margin at that.

It seems to me that McDaniels is to this head coaching cycle as what luck was to his draft cycle. Meaning luck was viewed as the best candidate since manning and was expected to be light years ahead of everyone else in the draft AND at the QB position specifically. McDaniels is viewed by many to be the best HC candidate in this cycle and one of the best candidates to become a HC in awhile.

Thus, I believe myself that it’s on McDaniels to prove it. Furthermore I think many people here in this forum and otherwise would agree that our coaching staff has likely cost us as many games and if not more than the players due to poor play calling, scheme, preparation, and game time management.

Obviously this is solely my opinion and I may be wrong....nah, I’m not wrong...I’m dead spot on here! haha

I'd say if the team sucks mightily next year, like another 4-12, it's on Ballard. He had a pass in 2017, but if they're not competitive after Ballards preferred coach comes in, with all the cap space and draft capita to improve the roster, it'll be on him.

McDaniels I think just needs to prove he's improved his people skills by having his team actually play for him and doing what he can to implement his offensive system (AKA have Luck play really good). Even with better play calling and talent, we're probably not favourites to win the south. Jacksonville is still stacked on D, Tennessee is gonna be less clunky, and Houston will be better with Watson and Watt back.

There's only so much you can improve your teams talent in 1 offseason, but with all the cap and the third overall pick, if Ballard doesn't improve the talent enough to compete in the south, he'll feel the heat.

JMO.

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The comments section is an putter ring of Hell.   It does not attract the best or the brightest.   I rarely care what anyone thinks in the comments section.

Come on now....

I agree, I do it anyway. Why, I have no idea lmao 

I'm gonna say Irsay... while he can't be fired, I think it's fairly obvious the struggles of this team and the dramatic fall off along with the embarrassing drama of Grigson/Pagano has worn on him. If he doesn't get this right, people are going to start thinking he's as bad as his father

I don't know if there is anymore pressure on one than the other. Sometimes, I think we make things harder than they really are. The NFL is pretty simple if your team wins you keep your job, if your team loses then you are looking for a job. The standards are high in Indianapolis but coming from New England where the standard is even higher I don't think that the pressure will phase our new coach. Or maybe I just have a simple mind.  :thmup:

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The comments section is an outter ring of Hell.   It does not attract the best or the brightest.   I rarely care what anyone thinks in the comments section.

Come on now....

Good point.  I'm going to head over to ESPN and comment on that right now.

Ice Ice Baby

Really? If we have another disaster of a season, all the pressure must be on Blue. How many more mimes can he come up with. Roll of the eyes, head in the hands, down on his knees, thumping the ground?

It's not Irsay, Ballard, McDaniels or Luck. All the pressure is on our mascot. Poor thing.

The pressure will be on McDaniels to show he can be a product of his own success. No coach under Belichick that has become a head coach accumulated a winning record, Bill O’Brien with the best record of 31-33. 

Ballard is under a lot of pressure too though since we have 85+ mil in cap space. What he decides to do with it and if it pans out is critical for him. With Ballard though, I just feel comfortable. I get a vibe from Ballard that seems different and I trust him. 

We will also have to see if our coordinators have the ability to do the job. I don’t think I could stand another year of bad or conservative play-calling. I want to see the team playing to win, even if they end up losing. Eventually those losss could turn into wins and we’re looking at a competitive team in a soon-to-be competitive division. Possibly the most competitive in the league. 

Ballard is IMO! For the following reasons.

1 He has fired a coach & hired

a new one!

2 That brings new scheme new  coordinators, coachs, and new players to either fit the schemes or help indentify the current players that do fit the new scheme!

3 With the 3rd pick in the draft there are so many ways to go trade the pick, and to who and for what in return. Keep the pick and pick someone who would maximize results and would best fit our scheme and help the organization. 

4 The draft in general were the Colts pick could make or break the organization for years.

5 What if any free agents do you bring in?

6 He is intrusted with surrounding Luck with the best possible talent in the prime of his career!

All of these points are very important and he'll be judged on.

McDaniels  has some pressure but he's replacing a coach who in my opinion was good but unpopular now if he finishs 8-8 it would be an improvement as long as he gets along with management players an there is improvement he'll be fine early!

20 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Ballard is IMO! For the following reasons.

1 He has fired a coach & hired

a new one!

2 That brings new scheme new  coordinators, coachs, and new players to either fit the schemes or help indentify the current players that do fit the new scheme!

3 With the 3rd pick in the draft there are so many ways to go trade the pick, and to who and for what in return. Keep the pick and pick who and maximize who would best fit our scheme and help the organization. 

4 The draft in general were the Colts pick could make or break the organization for years.

5 What if any free agents do you bring in?

6 He is intrusted with surrounding Luck with the best possible talent in the prime of his career!

All of these points are very important and he'll be judged on.

McDaniels  has some pressure but he's replacing a coach who in my opinion was good but unpopular now if he finishs 8-8 it would be an improvement as long as he gets along with management players an there is improvement he'll be fine early!

Exactly!  McDaniels has the big advantage inheriting a last place record and a returning franchise QB.  He can't lose in the eyes of the fans as long as he improves the record.  Like you said Ballard has the big decisions to make.  He has the most pressure to deliver on upgrading the roster and protecting our QB.  I feel he will do a great job but that doesn't take away the fact he is under the most pressure to deliver and make the correct decisions. 

MCDaniels has to be under more pressure to mirror the success he has had in New England. He will hopefully have a 100% luck ( which is no Brady but can be down the line with the right tools ) he has the #3 or traded to top 10 pick this year and a crap ton of FA $ .... granted Ballard/irsay have the final say of who comes in .... but McDaniels in my mind has a short leash of 2-3 years .... Ballard has already started to turn the ship around from that grigson/pagano mess we had. 

30 minutes ago, TdungyW/12 said:

MCDaniels has to be under more pressure to mirror the success he has had in New England. He will hopefully have a 100% luck ( which is no Brady but can be down the line with the right tools ) he has the #3 or traded to top 10 pick this year and a crap ton of FA $ .... granted Ballard/irsay have the final say of who comes in .... but McDaniels in my mind has a short leash of 2-3 years .... Ballard has already started to turn the ship around from that grigson/pagano mess we had. 

Disagree McDaniel's has at the very least 3 years and probably a 5 year contract while inheriting a last place team in a tough division.

52 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Disagree McDaniel's has at the very least 3 years and probably a 5 year contract while inheriting a last place team in a tough division.

We all know we were last place because we didn’t have a QB. You bring luck back and we jump straight to the top of the division. Our offense jumps drastically, giving our def more Leniency ..... might have to fight off tenn, and jacks. But, with luck I see the pressure more on the coaching staff to get the scheming done. We’ve waisted too much of lucks time already.