Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We haven't protected Luck for six years so let's draft a RB!!!

Rally5

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Jags couldn't run the ball worth crap until they got Fournette and their line was awful until he got there plus o-line can be addressed in FA period.

Same with the Rams. I don't know much about the Rams O-Line, but Gurley is a beast.

16 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

i like your thinking. however the way the colts are going i don't see us being number 3 in the draft again so i would definitely go RB early on so we wont have to focus on that for a long time

By that thinking we shouldn't take a RB which we can easily get low 1st rnd or later. We should get a position that typically requires a top 5-10 spot to get. 

Arden Key is quicker than Chubb and more relentless.  And all the Oline talk about one guard being drafted will not protect Luck whatsoever. The Oline gets blown up from all sides. Ryan Kelly is the only keeper. Even Constonzo gets beat often. And Alden Key will slip to second round.

28 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Jags couldn't run the ball worth crap until they got Fournette and their line was awful until he got there plus o-line can be addressed in FA period.

4.3 yards per carry this year.

4.2 yards per carry last year.

Granted, a lot more attempts, they committed to it more this year but it isn't really that impressive improvement for the commitment they made for a RB who has shown up on injur report most of the year.

There is not a single prospect that I want to see us draft at #3. This is a trade down draft all the way. There is no Khalil Mack, or Joe Thomas, or Jalen Ramsey that has wow’d me at this point. Doesn’t mean there won’t be a guy that ends up like them, but they will be had later, and I’d rather us accumulate more picks. It almost looks like a 2013 type of draft to me. When the best prospect is a left guard you know it’s not the strongest of draft classes. 

1 hour ago, Rally5 said:

Am I the only one that see's something really special in Marlon Mack?  Do we not agree running backs need holes to run through?  Imagine for a minute Luck purveying the field with time to throw!  Can we not have another year where all the discussion is about our OLine!  I get an edge rusher and their value, I really do and I get Barkley is a nice back but I swear give me a monster Oline with Luck, TY, Doyle, Mack, Rogers, and Moncrief and I'll take that all day long!  I truly hope Ballard does what the sign on his desk says and isn't influenced by uninformed media or Irsay for that matter!   Some media nut case has us taking a safety with P1..if that happened I would retire my fandom!  

I like Mack alot too.  With that being said the offensive line obviously needs to be better.  If the Colts had a solid o line, I would have no problems with drafting Barkley and keeping Mack.  I do think they need to focus on o-line and defense, but that's just my opinion.  If they happen to draft Barkley, of course I'll root for him to succeed. 

Theres plenty of OG depth into the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds in this years class. Just because you pass on one with the third overall pick doesn't mean you can't scoop a Hernandez or Braden Smith in the lower rounds. 

Barkley is special, not just "any RB" he's the real deal. Don't forget as well that its just as important to have a lethal running game as it is to have a good OL to a QB. If we've got a legit running threat then teams will load up the box and then think about all the single coverages that Andrew and TY can exploit. 

We've also got a shot at a special player in Andrew Norwell in FA. We could bring him in and pick Barkley as opposed to drafting Nelson and missing on a generational talent. 

19 minutes ago, Finball said:

4.3 yards per carry this year.

4.2 yards per carry last year.

Granted, a lot more attempts, they committed to it more this year but it isn't really that impressive improvement for the commitment they made for a RB who has shown up on injur report most of the year.

Granted 4.3 ypc isn't that bad when Blake Bortles poses little passing threat..

23 minutes ago, PureGold said:

Arden Key is quicker than Chubb and more relentless.  And all the Oline talk about one guard being drafted will not protect Luck whatsoever. The Oline gets blown up from all sides. Ryan Kelly is the only keeper. Even Constonzo gets beat often. And Alden Key will slip to second round.

I don't really agree with you but I don't fully disagree. Why do you think Key will fall?

28 minutes ago, RealityIsLuck said:

Granted 4.3 ypc isn't that bad when Blake Bortles poses little passing threat..

Bortles was their QB the year they had 4.2 ypc the year before. And the year before that.

And considering the increase Jags had in rushing attempts, I'd say 4.3 ypc is a very good number but something that they could have achieved with later round back(s) and use the #4 pick on a player that can have bigger and/or longer lasting impact. But Coughlin is 71 already. Maybe he doesn't have time/patience to wait.

18 minutes ago, RealityIsLuck said:

Theres plenty of OG depth into the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds in this years class. Just because you pass on one with the third overall pick doesn't mean you can't scoop a Hernandez or Braden Smith in the lower rounds. 

Barkley is special, not just "any RB" he's the real deal. Don't forget as well that its just as important to have a lethal running game as it is to have a good OL to a QB. If we've got a legit running threat then teams will load up the box and then think about all the single coverages that Andrew and TY can exploit. 

We've also got a shot at a special player in Andrew Norwell in FA. We could bring him in and pick Barkley as opposed to drafting Nelson and missing on a generational talent. 

This!

Mack is not a 3 down back. 

The word "generational" back is used too frequently to describe good backs.  That said, there are some truths.  If you do find a truly "generational" back, you are set at the position often for 8-10 years.  That back can become a focal point of the offense and carry the team.  While fans are prone to labeling many backs generational, when you get truly consensus RB picks projected at the top of the draft -- like AP, Gurley, Zeke, Fournette -- the success rate is pretty high.  Barkley seems to be in that realm.  Still, even a great back will struggle behind a bad line and in a bad offense (see gurley last year).   A strong o-line is very important for success, but drafting a OL player in the top of the draft seems like much more of an uncertainty than many other positions.  It's been about since about 2011 when Dallas drafted Tyron Smith that a top OL prospect fulfilled his potential. Drafting 3, the player should be a "can't miss" type player.  

1 minute ago, GoatBeard said:

A great OL can turn an average RB into Emmitt Smith.

This really isn't true. A great OL can turn a average run attack into a good run attack, or a weak run attack into an average run attack but you can't achieve excellence without at least a VERY good running back. 

2 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

A great OL can turn an average RB into Emmitt Smith.

I doubt that. What average RB has succeded and turned into Emmitt Smith? The run game would certainly be a lot better but an average back wouldn't turn out to be Emitt Smith. It would make a great RB a lot better though.

uh, Emmit Smith?

He was just an average athlete with average speed, but he was a tough guy with really good vision who got behind Larry Allen, Nate Newton & co. and got more yards than anyone ever has.

We have a chance to land the best lineman or pass rusher in the draft......our two biggest weaknesses.....and people want to pass on them and draft a RB?

You build in the trenches, the sooner we take heed to that advice, the better.

2 hours ago, Rally5 said:

Am I the only one that see's something really special in Marlon Mack?  Do we not agree running backs need holes to run through?  Imagine for a minute Luck purveying the field with time to throw!  Can we not have another year where all the discussion is about our OLine!  I get an edge rusher and their value, I really do and I get Barkley is a nice back but I swear give me a monster Oline with Luck, TY, Doyle, Mack, Rogers, and Moncrief and I'll take that all day long!  I truly hope Ballard does what the sign on his desk says and isn't influenced by uninformed media or Irsay for that matter!   Some media nut case has us taking a safety with P1..if that happened I would retire my fandom!  

Signing a couple stud/solid starting offensive lineman in free agency and absolutely you could draft Barkley AND add another element of protecting BOTH the defense AND Luck.

A solid running game would rest the defense and effectively keep defensive coordinators from allowing thier pass rushers to pin thier ears back.

A team works in unison and I'm all for getting Barkely in the draft.

That's completely subjective. 

Quenton Nelson is every bit as good as a G as Barkley is a RB, if not better. The fact anyone is considering him in the top ten means as much.

AND it's a position if need, which factors into every draft pick.

BPA is a horrible strategy that has already caused us to waste THREE recent draft picks. Hughes, Dorsett and Werner were all BPA misses. 

Neither were BPA. If they were, the scouts should be fired. Nelson shouldn't be taken at #3. After a trade back to around #6, sure. 

2 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Quenton Nelson is every bit as good as a G as Barkley is a RB, if not better. The fact anyone is considering him in the top ten means as much.

BPA is a horrible strategy that has already caused us to waste THREE recent draft picks. Hughes, Dorsett and Werner were all BPA misses. 

I think some people need to remember that the Colts are going to have more than just this pick to improve the team.  They will have other picks and a lot of money to do it too.

Also having a running back who can be used in the short passing game and that other defenses have to account for will also help to protect Luck too.  

I want to be clear I am not saying Barkley has to be the pick, I am just saying if he is it doesn’t mean the Colts aren’t still going to look into protecting Luck.

26 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

The strategy wasn't horrible, they guy making those picks was.

26 minutes ago, A8bil said:

The word "generational" back is used too frequently to describe good backs.  That said, there are some truths.  If you do find a truly "generational" back, you are set at the position often for 8-10 years.  That back can become a focal point of the offense and carry the team.  While fans are prone to labeling many backs generational, when you get truly consensus RB picks projected at the top of the draft -- like AP, Gurley, Zeke, Fournette -- the success rate is pretty high.  Barkley seems to be in that realm.  Still, even a great back will struggle behind a bad line and in a bad offense (see gurley last year).   A strong o-line is very important for success, but drafting a OL player in the top of the draft seems like much more of an uncertainty than many other positions.  It's been about since about 2011 when Dallas drafted Tyron Smith that a top OL prospect fulfilled his potential. Drafting 3, the player should be a "can't miss" type player.  

I agree.  As is generational QB.  We had generational QBs Manning, Brady, Rodgers and Brees all playing at the same time. We have new "generational" QBs playing now, while some older generational QBs are still playing. And next year, at least two fanbases will be calling their team's first round picks "generational" players.  It's so overused, it has lost any meaning.

15 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

The Colts have tried to fix the line via free agency.  That has not worked out, the best lineman are the ones the Colts drafted or picked up as UDFA.

If say we've done both - we've spent 6 high draft picks on the line over the last 7 years. I bet that's more than most -if not all - of the current play off teams.

We've only really fine for 1 top lineman through free agency in Gosder and he was unlucky with injuries rather than a poor recruit.

49 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

uh, Emmit Smith?

He was just an average athlete with average speed, but he was a tough guy with really good vision who got behind Larry Allen, Nate Newton & co. and got more yards than anyone ever has.

We have a chance to land the best lineman or pass rusher in the draft......our two biggest weaknesses.....and people want to pass on them and draft a RB?

You build in the trenches, the sooner we take heed to that advice, the better.

You're not giving Emmit enough due...he had a great jump hop that allowed him to move laterally well in traffic to get to open space.  No, he was not a speed burner, but he was quick and ran with power through the line.

3 hours ago, Rally5 said:

Mack can't hang onto the ball and Moncrief can't stay on the field. You can have those two studs as your playmakers.

3 hours ago, Rally5 said:

I totally agree I've been saying the same thing. We need some first rounders on our O-line. 

I'm not sure if we have discussed this yet, but protection is what we are talking about. Yes offensive line is a major issue and has been. Although I am excited for what Kelly can turn into. We do need a running back in this draft, but only if Ballard sticks to his board. Meanwhile, Andrew has never had an elite receiving corp other than TY. I wouldn't be surprised if we went after a big bodied, possession type receiver similar to what Pittsburg got in JUJU.

3 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

Mack, as of now, isn't a RB1. To me, he's an explosive RB2 that can be paired with a RB like Barkley. If he develops, that's great! People want Nelson, but they don't want him at 3 because 3 is too high to take a guard. There's still free agency as well. What if Ballard signs Pugh and Norwell? Then there's no need to draft a guard that early. Barkley is BPA and would help with the offense as well. Additionally, if McDaniels comes here, then the offense will be fast-paced and Luck won't hold on to the ball for long.

If we satisfy the need in FA then I would be satisfied, agreed!

3 hours ago, brently76 said:

This thread could easily be a response to the multiple other threads going on in this forum regarding this topic. I've read this forum for 2 years now and man has the substance gone downhill. 

Good feedback, thoughtful and provocative just as you describe.