Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We haven't protected Luck for six years so let's draft a RB!!!

Rally5

Mack and Gore both averaged a little less than 4 ypc behind and injury riddled line, no Luck and a fairly predictable running game that seemed to run it right up the gut the majority of first downs.  With Luck and a new scheme no one really knows how Barkley (if drafted) and Mack would perform.  I think they could still draft Barkley and improve the line significantly.  That being said we'll wait and see what Ballard does because I have absolutely 0 clue.  :dunno:

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

We don't need to spend a #3 on a running back. Chances are, next year there is going to be a "can't miss" RB as well. It's all good to pass up on Barkley. We need some other difference makers before a RB.

We won a Super Bowl with Joseph Addai.

3 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I'd feel way more comfortable drafting a potential gamebreaker at #3 overall than taking an OL that we'd have to wait 2-3 years for him to actually be "pro ready." Adding rookie to that line would be a huge mistake in my opinion.

Nelson is a day one starter, for any team. Not sure where Zach Martin was taken but Nelson is just as good. Pretty sure we could have gotten Kamara last year, but chose Basham, who might not ever pan out. It does seem as though we always get the guys that take time to develope, no matter the round. But Nelson is not one of those, and neither is Barkley. IMO pick the best player at your biggest need. 

2 hours ago, RealityIsLuck said:

Theres plenty of OG depth into the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds in this years class. Just because you pass on one with the third overall pick doesn't mean you can't scoop a Hernandez or Braden Smith in the lower rounds. 

Barkley is special, not just "any RB" he's the real deal. Don't forget as well that its just as important to have a lethal running game as it is to have a good OL to a QB. If we've got a legit running threat then teams will load up the box and then think about all the single coverages that Andrew and TY can exploit. 

We've also got a shot at a special player in Andrew Norwell in FA. We could bring him in and pick Barkley as opposed to drafting Nelson and missing on a generational talent. 

I'm totally good with addressing the need in FA if that's the direction we go.  

Id also like to here some thoughts on some guys that are playing tonight. Mainly a different Chubb, running the ball. There are so many elite backs in this draft. Luck was generational. What about a gamebreaking wide receiver? If you re wanting to surround Luck with talent, we need that also. Pick your poison i suppose.:dunno:

4 hours ago, Rally5 said:

Am I the only one that see's something really special in Marlon Mack?  Do we not agree running backs need holes to run through?  Imagine for a minute Luck purveying the field with time to throw!  Can we not have another year where all the discussion is about our OLine!  I get an edge rusher and their value, I really do and I get Barkley is a nice back but I swear give me a monster Oline with Luck, TY, Doyle, Mack, Rogers, and Moncrief and I'll take that all day long!  I truly hope Ballard does what the sign on his desk says and isn't influenced by uninformed media or Irsay for that matter!   Some media nut case has us taking a safety with P1..if that happened I would retire my fandom!  

You may have an overly developed sense of your FB knowledge. Very emotional.

Just now, throwing BBZ said:

You may have an overly developed sense of your FB knowledge. Very emotional.

Funny, you make a good point, there's no room for emotion in football.   I played and coached the game for what it's worth but I'm sure you have some sort of mastery level knowledge and emotional control unbeknownst to most mortals.  Good post!

22 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

Luck played his best with a good blocker/reciever in the backfield. Ahmad Bradshaw really helped Luck to that next level. Barkley has that potential, but also potential as a top 5 rusher in the NFL.

Seem like Bradshaw was injured most of his time here, in part because he took a beating.  I think he had 300 yards in 2014 and 64 yards in 2015 but that could be wrong.

16 minutes ago, ND Irish said:

Id also like to here some thoughts on some guys that are playing tonight. Mainly a different Chubb, running the ball. There are so many elite backs in this draft. Luck was generational. What about a gamebreaking wide receiver? If you re wanting to surround Luck with talent, we need that also. Pick your poison i suppose.:dunno:

I live in Atlanta and the guys are good frankly and some will disagree but I think Mack is better than anyone on the field tonight.  If we grabbed Sony Michel later in the draft that would be a nice pick but I can't see drafting any of these guys in R1 P3 or top 10 in a trade back scenario.  Now, according to someone, I have an over-inflated sense of football knowledge because I think we need to focus on online so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

4 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

Mack, as of now, isn't a RB1. To me, he's an explosive RB2 that can be paired with a RB like Barkley. If he develops, that's great! People want Nelson, but they don't want him at 3 because 3 is too high to take a guard. There's still free agency as well. What if Ballard signs Pugh and Norwell? Then there's no need to draft a guard that early. Barkley is BPA and would help with the offense as well. Additionally, if McDaniels comes here, then the offense will be fast-paced and Luck won't hold on to the ball for long.

Why do you think he isn't a RB1, curious as to why you think that.....

10 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

I live in Atlanta and the guys are good frankly and some will disagree but I think Mack is better than anyone on the field tonight.  If we grabbed Sony Michel later in the draft that would be a nice pick but I can't see drafting any of these guys in R1 P3 or top 10 in a trade back scenario.  Now, according to someone, I have an over-inflated sense of football knowledge because I think we need to focus on online so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

You re good man. I was just trying to get some to rationally compare this rb class. Generational getting tossed around like Brissett on a Sunday afternoon. I also lean to oline, because why not an elite guard or tackle? Pick up an "aged" not to mention expensive FA or fill a hole for years to come? 

20 minutes ago, ND Irish said:

You re good man. I was just trying to get some to rationally compare this rb class. Generational getting tossed around like Brissett on a Sunday afternoon. I also lean to oline, because why not an elite guard or tackle? Pick up an "aged" not to mention expensive FA or fill a hole for years to come? 

Thanks, we all want the oline issue solved, I just don't like getting distracted by shiny objects.  Dallas did it for years and failed until they got serious about their oline then they were able to run the ball with a stud RB.  Anyway, I digress, thanks for the productive feedback.

1 hour ago, backshoulderfade said:

Luck played his best with a good blocker/reciever in the backfield. Ahmad Bradshaw really helped Luck to that next level. Barkley has that potential, but also potential as a top 5 rusher in the NFL.

Agreed. I think people forget how much better the Colts offense was when he was healthy and playing. He added a great wrinkle to the offense that hasn't been completely replicated since that time (Frank Gore included).

5 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I'd feel way more comfortable drafting a potential gamebreaker at #3 overall than taking an OL that we'd have to wait 2-3 years for him to actually be "pro ready." Adding rookie to that line would be a huge mistake in my opinion.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2441018-which-positions-are-the-safest-riskiest-at-the-top-of-the-nfl-draft

I want Nelson early, even if we don't feel comforable trading down, then grab Royce Freeman or Kalen Ballage in the mid rounds to compliment Mack. That to me, easily trumps Barkley and someone like Will Hernandez (who can't pass block at an NFL level btw).

Barkley is an every down back and will limit Macks opportunities.

33 minutes ago, Restored said:

Agreed. I think people forget how much better the Colts offense was when he was healthy and playing. He added a great wrinkle to the offense that hasn't been completely replicated since that time (Frank Gore included).

Add to that, it seems that the leagues top offenses in 2017 have some kind of dual threat running back, be it Todd Gurley, Le'Veon Bell or Alvin Kamara. Barkley is absolutely of that mold. Think him and Luck could be special.

8 hours ago, PureGold said:

This is why we don't draft a RB at all. We need to draft both Alden Key and Bradley Chubb and Vita Vea. D line would be sick.

How do you propose we draft Chubb AND Key AND Vea?     Those are all first round picks.    How are we drafting all three?  

5 hours ago, Calmack said:

You probably are the only one. If anything, Mack has shown to be a scat back. There is nothing special about him, lots of players have breakaway speed. 

As just one example, dude face planted Clowney, then went on to win the corner (which in the NFL is special) and gained 10+ yrds, that's not the actions of a scat back. Later in the same game Clowney (in an act of redemption) hit him at full speed and blasts him out of bounds,  he bounced up and gave Clowney a head slap.  That's toughess.  You open a hole for him and he hits his head on the goal post.  So, I respectfully disagree, I think the kid can play but I respect your opinion.  BTW, Who are all of our other backs with breakway speed, because I missed those guys?  

2 hours ago, Rally5 said:

We won a Super Bowl with Joseph Addai.

And...

The Colts won that game partially thanks to Dominic Rhodes getting it done when it counted & who many felt was worthy of SB MVP...

Just saying...

While the argument about Oline deficiencies & lack of a pass rush are understandable, one could argue that a more consistent threat of running with a complete back, paired with better play calling could actually help increase the lines production & open up the run game along with the pass...

You do realize bringing in a player as talented as Barkley helps Luck, right? He may very well be the best RB prospect to come out of college in the last 20-30 years. If he's there at three, you take him. Drafting Barkley at 3 over an offensive lineman is a no-brainer.

Barkley can truly do it all. Run, Catch, Block, etc.

The Colts can easily grab a lineman in the 2-4 rounds and we still have free agency. Baby steps.

17 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

And...

The Colts won that game partially thanks to Dominic Rhodes getting it done when it counted & who many felt was worthy of SB MVP...

Just saying...

While the argument about Oline deficiencies & lack of a pass rush are understandable, one could argue that a more consistent threat of running with a complete back, paired with better play calling could actually help increase the lines production & open up the run game along with the pass...

That's fair, my point is a lack of RB hasn't caused Andrew to miss the season.  I like a RB just not with the first pick.  I think the better point is Dominic was an Undrafted Free Agent.

3 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

You do realize bringing in a player as talented as Barkley helps Luck, right? He may very well be the best RB prospect to come out of college in the last 20-30 years. If he's there at three, you take him. Drafting Barkley at 3 over an offensive lineman is a no-brainer.

Barkley can truly do it all. Run, Catch, Block, etc.

The Colts can easily grab a lineman in the 2-4 rounds and we still have free agency. Baby steps.

As I mentioned in a previous post, if we handle in FA that's great.  Keep in mind bust rate on a first round RB is 50%.  Success rate on a G is over 80% which happens to be our position of glaring need.  All-Pro percent on first-round guards over the past 10 years is 50%!  So I don't like your math.  Plus, games are won in the trenches.

4 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

As I mentioned in a previous post, if we handle in FA that's great.  Keep in mind bust rate on a first round RB is 50%.  Success rate on a G is over 80% which happens to be our position of glaring need.  All-Pro percent on first-round guards over the past 10 years is 50%!  So I don't like your math.  Plus, games are won in the trenches.

EVERY player coming out of college is 50/50

But unless Barkley suffers some freak career ending injury, I can't see the Colts passing him up if he's still on the board at 3.

If the Browns were smart they would take Barkley at 1 and then take a QB at 4.

5 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

But unless Barkley suffers some freak career ending injury, I can't see the Colts passing him up if he's still on the board at 3.

No, not every player is 50/50 running backs are, check the stats.  In fact, centers are over 90% by comparison.  You can love Barkley, he won't protect Andrew and until that is solved it should be our overwhelming top priority.  There was another recent back that compared similarly to Barkley.  You may remember him, we traded with Cleveland for him!

4 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

Wouldn't surprise me if the Browns take that gamble & it plays out that way. 

9 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

Quenton Nelson 2017 highlights

Not denying the kids skills. However YouTube clips aren’t full games. You need to post full game highlights. Showing each situation. For example how well does he block on a 3 and 14 play. I seen the kid play so again I’m not denying the claims. We also couldn’t go wrong with Conner Williams as well. 

So we are going to address the OL in FA by getting a very average to below average guard in Pugh (Schwenke 2.0) and Norwell (an all-pro guard who Carolina could resign).  If they don’t resign him, I’m pretty sure he will want to sign with a contender instead of a 4-12 team with major questions at QB, a new coach (yet to be determined), and an unproven GM.   Norwell is a long shot.  Drop back a couple slots and get Nelson, but not too far back.  I think he is going to go higher than most people think on here.  

In my opinion, and I know everyone has one, Nelson is the safest pick followed by Barkley, then Fitzpatrick.  I’m just a build-the-trenches-1st type of guy and I’d love to see Kelly and Nelson anchoring the interior.  I like Nick Chubb, Arden Key, Connor Williams, or the IL from Georgia in the 2nd.  I think one of them will slide.  You won’t find a guard of Nelson’s caliber period once he is off the board.

2 minutes ago, a06cc said:

Not denying the kids skills. However YouTube clips aren’t full games. You need to post full game highlights. Showing each situation. For example how well does he block on a 3 and 14 play. I seen the kid play so again I’m not denying the claims. We also couldn’t go wrong with Conner Williams as well. 

If Williams was even close to Quenton Nelson he would go ahead of him.

I like him but he's not an elite prospect.