Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We haven't protected Luck for six years so let's draft a RB!!!

Rally5

44 minutes ago, dgambill said:

He graded out high in pass protection very high but are you not concerned with Carolina's lack of ability to run the ball? Is it because of their system, backs?, Cam....because while I value pass protection I really would like my guards to be road graders...that can establish the line of scrimmage....and I didn't see that at all in Carolina. I'm not trying to be controversial but everyone just is in love with the guy and I have questions. What do you think?

I'm not worried about Norwell's run blocking. He does his job well. They have other issues, including instability this year at center and poor play calling that just got their OC fired. I've thought Norwell was solid the past two years.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm not worried about Norwell's run blocking. He does his job well. They have other issues, including instability this year at center and poor play calling that just got their OC fired. I've thought Norwell was solid the past two years.

Thanks for the input. They were awful and I wasn't seeing any push on that OL so it concerned me. While I want to protect Luck pass blocking isn't the only thing I ask of my IL. Thanks for your opinion!

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I want two new starters on OL in free agency, and I think they should spare no expense. A RT and a guard would be great.

Also, while we know Ballard isn't going to go throwing money around recklessly, I think Norwell fits his mold. Lunch pail guy who was unheralded coming out of Ohio State, got drafted several rounds after his boy Mewhort, and has worked his way up the lineup and all the way to being an All Pro this season. When you pay a guy like this, I think it sends the right message to the locker room.

There doesn't seem to be great tackles in FA this year. If we manage to address the guard positions in FA we might be able to get a good RT in early second round. 

16 hours ago, dgambill said:

Wasn't Ballard the one that pushed real hard in Chicago to draft Cedric Benson at 4? I wouldn't say he wouldn't select Barkley at the top of the draft. I wouldn't say he wouldn't take him either...I think he will take the best player he can that will effect this team on the field. Time will tell but I think nothing is out of the realm of possibility. I think we need to see how free agency goes and then also how the combines and pro days go.

That's a good point, and one that I'm not educated enough to answer as it comes to who pushed for Benson or not. I will say this, he has been with two teams that have had pretty dang good defenses and didn't have a lot more on offense. Benson ended up being the focal point there and that was also when RBs were taken early in the first round. 

I agree with you, a lot can change with how FA goes and especially the combine and pre-draft process. I would be ok with Barkley if Ballard was able to take care of the OL in FA. I'm back and forth on Chubb honestly, sometimes he looks dominant and others he looks like he is just stronger than people and has no real speed rushing skill. I worry he won't be able to get the edge and push people around like he did in college, but the combine will tell us more about his athleticism. Either way, we need OL somewhere first and foremost. Prefer it in FA (Norwell would be AWESOME, but unlikely). Thanks for the good point, never realized that!

On 1/8/2018 at 2:24 PM, Rally5 said:

Am I the only one that see's something really special in Marlon Mack?  Do we not agree running backs need holes to run through?  Imagine for a minute Luck purveying the field with time to throw!  Can we not have another year where all the discussion is about our OLine!  I get an edge rusher and their value, I really do and I get Barkley is a nice back but I swear give me a monster Oline with Luck, TY, Doyle, Mack, Rogers, and Moncrief and I'll take that all day long!  I truly hope Ballard does what the sign on his desk says and isn't influenced by uninformed media or Irsay for that matter!   Some media nut case has us taking a safety with P1..if that happened I would retire my fandom!  

While there is some good edge rushers in this draft I don't see anyone really elite.  There is no Von Miller in this draft.  

So I'm sort of with you.  It make sense to try and trade down first since you could get Nelson at the bottom of the top 10 or McGlincey (sp?) towards the middle of the 1st.  The Colts need to do what Grigson never did until his last year and invest a 1st in a OL.  

I think Mack is a nice piece but not special.  But if the OL can create holes then you can find an RB to run through them.  

I honestly would not blink if we spent the the first 3 picks of the draft on OL.  

And honestly given how much we've lead the league in sacks and our QB coming back from injury I doubt you could find many people who would be critical of said move.  

1 hour ago, Str8himalaya said:

That's a good point, and one that I'm not educated enough to answer as it comes to who pushed for Benson or not. I will say this, he has been with two teams that have had pretty dang good defenses and didn't have a lot more on offense. Benson ended up being the focal point there and that was also when RBs were taken early in the first round. 

I agree with you, a lot can change with how FA goes and especially the combine and pre-draft process. I would be ok with Barkley if Ballard was able to take care of the OL in FA. I'm back and forth on Chubb honestly, sometimes he looks dominant and others he looks like he is just stronger than people and has no real speed rushing skill. I worry he won't be able to get the edge and push people around like he did in college, but the combine will tell us more about his athleticism. Either way, we need OL somewhere first and foremost. Prefer it in FA (Norwell would be AWESOME, but unlikely). Thanks for the good point, never realized that!

I agree about Chubb....I've even seen him get stoned by TEs. That worries me. He lacks that elite athleticism and bend. I think he out-skills some and out powers others but that certain "sizzle" just isn't there. Of course I'm not an evaluator so I could be totally wrong. I guess I find faults in everyone at the top but I think only because it's such a valuable pick and I just wish someone would run away with it. I honestly feel like if a trade is there that could net us some extra high picks I'd have to take it. Normally I see guys in the top 10 that are just far and away studs that stand out over those middle first guys. At this point I think I would trade back and take a guy like Nelson or R. Smith who even though might not be at a high value priority position would offer the biggest bang for buck. Sometimes drafts just are kinda meh...and sadly I'm yet to get excited over many prospects in this draft. Hopefully the combine and pro days help with that...a lot of guys could show more promise when we get some measurables. I think the first thing is we need a coach and a system....see what kinda systems we will be running and the priorities and important positions for that.....then comes free agency and what kind of players will fit our vision...and then the fun begins with the draft!