Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We haven't protected Luck for six years so let's draft a RB!!!

Rally5

Am I the only one that see's something really special in Marlon Mack?  Do we not agree running backs need holes to run through?  Imagine for a minute Luck purveying the field with time to throw!  Can we not have another year where all the discussion is about our OLine!  I get an edge rusher and their value, I really do and I get Barkley is a nice back but I swear give me a monster Oline with Luck, TY, Doyle, Mack, Rogers, and Moncrief and I'll take that all day long!  I truly hope Ballard does what the sign on his desk says and isn't influenced by uninformed media or Irsay for that matter!   Some media nut case has us taking a safety with P1..if that happened I would retire my fandom!  

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mack, as of now, isn't a RB1. To me, he's an explosive RB2 that can be paired with a RB like Barkley. If he develops, that's great! People want Nelson, but they don't want him at 3 because 3 is too high to take a guard. There's still free agency as well. What if Ballard signs Pugh and Norwell? Then there's no need to draft a guard that early. Barkley is BPA and would help with the offense as well. Additionally, if McDaniels comes here, then the offense will be fast-paced and Luck won't hold on to the ball for long.

6 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

Am I the only one that see's something really special in Marlon Mack?  Do we not agree running backs need holes to run through?  Imagine for a minute Luck purveying the field with time to throw!  Can we not have another year where all the discussion is about our OLine!  I get an edge rusher and their value, I really do and I get Barkley is a nice back but I swear give me a monster Oline with Luck, TY, Doyle, Mack, Rogers, and Moncrief and I'll take that all day long!  I truly hope Ballard does what the sign on his desk says and isn't influenced by uninformed media or Irsay for that matter!   Some media nut case has us taking a safety with P1..if that happened I would retire my fandom!  

I'd feel way more comfortable drafting a potential gamebreaker at #3 overall than taking an OL that we'd have to wait 2-3 years for him to actually be "pro ready." Adding rookie to that line would be a huge mistake in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, PureGold said:

This is why we don't draft a RB at all. We need to draft both Alden Key and Bradley Chubb and Vita Vea. D line would be sick.

If Key falls to the second round, sure. He has too many red flags for the third pick. I'd be fine with Chubb. We need a RB eventually, whether Barkley or in the later rounds.

4 minutes ago, brently76 said:

This thread could easily be a response to the multiple other threads going on in this forum regarding this topic. I've read this forum for 2 years now and man has the substance gone downhill. 

It's the offseason and the Colts are in the midst of a search for a head coach, there are questions about our starting QBs health, and the draft is a couple of months away. Things were a lot less complicated couple of years ago.

First we should evaluate what we have in terms of being able to address the team's issues.

1. We will have roughly 76 Million in cap space. We can easily address the O-line with this.

2. We will be drafting at the #3 position. We can address O-line with the first pick and subsequent picks.

Of the 2 options, I prefer FA because you can obtain proven talent that can make an immediate impact. Then if you wanted, you could draft a stud RB (Barkley at #3) to run through the holes that the new FA linemen have created.

Sound good?

10 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I'd feel way more comfortable drafting a potential gamebreaker at #3 overall than taking an OL that we'd have to wait 2-3 years for him to actually be "pro ready." Adding rookie to that line would be a huge mistake in my opinion.

We draft Nelson with the 3rd he would be the most talent olineman on the team. He grades out better than Kelly. Nelson is a day one impact starter. 

1 minute ago, Aluckiswolverine said:

We draft Nelson with the 3rd he would be the most talent olineman on the team. He grades out better than Kelly. Nelson is a day one impact starter. 

No one is arguing against Nelson. It's just the place he's drafted at. 3 is too high for a guard, especially when there are other high impact players available. If the Colts traded down, no one would have an issue with Nelson. Free agency also hasn't happened yet.

I want at least one of Pugh or Norwell. I’m happy to break the bank for them both in order to have a solid line in front of Luck. 

I hate to say say this but nothing I’ve seen from Mack shows him to be anything more than what he was shown to he pre-draft. A scat back that can’t catch. If it gets to a point where we don’t need a guard I would take a do-it-all back like Barkley at 3. Either that or trade down since I’m not thrilled about any of the big name pass rushers this year.

Whatever happens, if we don’t take Barkley, it won’t be because we have Mack already. They’re barely comparable talent wise.

1 minute ago, UKColt13 said:

I want at least one of Pugh or Norwell. I’m happy to break the bank for them both in order to have a solid line in front of Luck. 

I hate to say say this but nothing I’ve seen from Mack shows him to be anything more than what he was shown to he pre-draft. A scat back that can’t catch. If it gets to a point where we don’t need a guard I would take a do-it-all back like Barkley at 3. Either that or trade down since I’m not thrilled about any of the big name pass rushers this year.

Whatever happens, if we don’t take Barkley, it won’t be because we have Mack already. They’re barely comparable talent wise.

If Pugh and Norwell aren't re-signed, I think Ballard goes hard at one of them, if not both. Colts have the cap space and overpaying would be worth it.

10 minutes ago, Aluckiswolverine said:

A guard with the 3rd pick is just not a smart way to go.

I really like the idea of a guard or two coming from free agency.

13 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

First we should evaluate what we have in terms of being able to address the team's issues.

1. We will have roughly 76 Million in cap space. We can easily address the O-line with this.

2. We will be drafting at the #3 position. We can address O-line with the first pick and subsequent picks.

Of the 2 options, I prefer FA because you can obtain proven talent that can make an immediate impact. Then if you wanted, you could draft a stud RB (Barkley at #3) to run through the holes that the new FA linemen have created.

Sound good?

Sounds a lot better than glossing over a blue chip RB to reach for a guard in the first round.

I understand the fascination  with Barkley but we need to protect 12. I think Ballard realizes this. Look at us this year. 

If if he fixes the line during free agency then awesome. If he gets oline in free agency and still drafts Nelson with the 3rd I’m ok with that.

Best case senario, 12 has a wall of an Oline come the beginning of next season. We can get a good Rb in later rounds. 

Also, we don't know who the Head Coach is yet and what offensive system we will be running. If it's McDaniel's and his offensive system, then as we've seen with the Patriots, the offense is quick hitting. The need for the very best O-lineman will diminish. Of course we will need good O-linemen, especially for the run game, however not to the extent if we were running Chud's offensive system.

If it's McDaniels, we will need a RB who can also catch out of the backfield and make guys miss, (like the Pats had with Vereen and now with Dion Lewis). Also, a RB who can gain tough yards up the middle. Barkley would be a good fit in that style of offense, (actually any style).

41 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

Mack is a scat back I like his playmaking ability but I don't think he is anything more than a scat he's not a 3 down RB.

I hate the idea of drafting skill players early but clips of Barkley are very

impressive. The guy just accelerates past everyone including guys that have

an angle on him.

If we get a coach that instills a west coast offense and do away with 

the 7 step drops then the o line won't be nearly as bad as it looks.

Imagine Barkley and Mack in a west coast scheme, just wow!

A lot of posters are clamoring for Chubb but the guy just don't look 

quick enough for the 3rd over all pick. Over powering guys won't happen

as much in the NFL.

11 minutes ago, Aluckiswolverine said:

I understand the fascination  with Barkley but we need to protect 12. I think Ballard realizes this. Look at us this year. 

If if he fixes the line during free agency then awesome. If he gets oline in free agency and still drafts Nelson with the 3rd I’m ok with that.

Best case senario, 12 has a wall of an Oline come the beginning of next season. We can get a good Rb in later rounds. 

I think one of the better arguments for hiring McDaniels is that his offenses have been so good even with marginal line play. Maybe the allure of hiring a guy like that is knowing that you won't have to build some insane offensive line overnight because he'll be able scheme around whatever unit is on the field.

15 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

The o-line in terms of run blocking wasn't that bad gore was only 39 yards short of 1,000.

Brissett ranked third in rushing.  That's not a good thing.  Our running game was weak after Gore.  A good o-line would improve the running attack. A great o-line can make an Ezekiel Elliott.

6 minutes ago, Aluckiswolverine said:

Generational seems to be the catchy phrase this year to describe a really good RB. 

Seems like everyear year there is generational, can’t miss, playmaker RB in the draft.  

Look at all the best rookie RBs from the last few drafts. They all have very good Olines to run behind. 

^^^ This... every year the a top RB gets the "once in a generation" tag. 

11 minutes ago, Aluckiswolverine said:

Generational seems to be the catchy phrase this year to describe a really good RB. 

Seems like everyear year there is generational, can’t miss, playmaker RB in the draft.  

Look at all the best rookie RBs from the last few drafts. They all have very good Olines to run behind. 

Even with their fancy elite offensive lines, a lot of those teams still managed to miss the playoffs and/or had injuries at the QB position. That's not to say I think the line is solid and doesn't need to be addressed, I just think that with a healthy Luck, a backfield of Barkley/Mack, and Josh McDaniels doing the playcalling, a middle of the pack offensive line would probably be good enough to score points in bunches and keep 12 upright.

1 hour ago, PureGold said:

This is why we don't draft a RB at all. We need to draft both Alden Key and Bradley Chubb and Vita Vea. D line would be sick.

i like your thinking. however the way the colts are going i don't see us being number 3 in the draft again so i would definitely go RB early on so we wont have to focus on that for a long time

12 minutes ago, Roger said:

Brissett ranked third in rushing.  That's not a good thing.  Our running game was weak after Gore.  A good o-line would improve the running attack. A great o-line can make an Ezekiel Elliott.

Jags couldn't run the ball worth crap until they got Fournette and their line was awful until he got there plus o-line can be addressed in FA period.