Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Draft A QB In The First Round?

King Colt

To all those that say we should draft a running back (Barkley) with our first pick which is absurd I offer this. Josh Rosen and Sam Darnold have declared themselves for the draft so lets go for one of them. I prefer Darnold. It makes more sense than ignoring the Colts glaring needs and there are many to draft an RB. What if Luck is never again 100%? We have Gore and Mack.

We don't have Gore, would have to re-sign him.  We won't know if Luck is 100% until he actually plays, so I feel we need to address the needs we have in FA and the draft.  With an improved OL, Brissett can be our QB if Luck isn't available.

Wouldn't want to use our #3 on a QB if we don't end up needing one.

28 minutes ago, King Colt said:

To all those that say we should draft a running back (Barkley) with our first pick which is absurd I offer this. Josh Rosen and Sam Darnold have declared themselves for the draft so lets go for one of them. I prefer Darnold. It makes more sense than ignoring the Colts glaring needs and there are many to draft an RB. What if Luck is never again 100%? We have Gore and Mack.

What if Luck turns out to be healthy?

25 minutes ago, King Colt said:

If we go with McDaniel he might be very comfortable rolling with JB if Luck cant come back he knows the offense and played well in it . Worst case it doesn't go well and we pick high in the draft again and can bring in more grade A talent .

34 minutes ago, King Colt said:

If you truly believe Andrew will return healthy, what kind of message are you sending to him?

I can understand the reservations about Luck based on what happened this season but I don't see drafting a QB as the answer.  I would also say that he was throwing balls 50 yards not long ago so hopefully it is just about getting the shoulder rehabbed to get the soreness away.

If you are so against a RB in the first round then why would we not use our pick to get Chubb?  The effect players like Miller, Watt, etc have had on their teams is immeasurable, its a major position of need and, if we couple that with Luck being back then we would be in a great position.

52 minutes ago, King Colt said:

9 out of 10 mock drafts predict them as 1/1 and 1/2. Plus, the odds that Luck will never be 100% again are quite low. So too much if's to worth a speculation.

Btw, if Luck is indeed done, then the Colts will have another down season no matter what. So they will have a top pick in 2019. Maybe not 1/3, but a top10. Then, they can move up and grab their QB next year.

To those who are saying that Luck was injured, so we should assume he will never play well again, I say this--Didn't you learn your lesson with Peyton Manning ?! Manning got hurt and was out for a season. Management promptly traded him to Denver, assuming he could never play 100% again. Peyton promptly won Denver Superbowl !  

I say we should go on the assumption that Luck is returning in good shape. If it does not occur we still have Brissett who was progressing nicely for a green rookie . Meanwhile lets use that draft pick to help out the offense  which will help whether we are playing with Luck or Brissett .+ 

10 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

9 out of 10 mock drafts predict them as 1/1 and 1/2. Plus, the odds that Luck will never be 100% again are quite low. So too much if's to worth a speculation.

Btw, if Luck is indeed done, then the Colts will have another down season no matter what. So they will have a top pick in 2019. Maybe not 1/3, but a top10. Then, they can move up and grab their QB next year.

Not to mention Ballard has made the comment that trading for Brissett was a trade for the future.

What that is we just don't know.

4 minutes ago, King Colt said:

You got it Drafting Barkley as some here advocate would make sense only to trade him for a bucket of talent. Same with top QB.

? If the Colts do draft Barkley they are not trading him.

If someone wanted him they would trade the pick before drafting Barkley.

36 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I think he's saying that drafting a QB is just as stupid as drafting a RB at 1.

Exactly, List the Colts needs in order of degree. Is there biggest problem (s) running backs or quarterbacks or are they OL linebackers or a defense that ranks at or near the bottom. Is Ballard going to put Luck in behind the incompetent OL that has been sorry for years? If Irsay and Ballard don't get the coming year right it is going to be another very long and sorry season. 

You ride it out with Luck this fall, unless something bad changes in his prognosis by draft time and they don't expect him to be healthy again.

If he doesn't play next season, they will likely be back picking top 5 again and at that point I'd go QB.

14 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Exactly, List the Colts needs in order of degree. Is there biggest problem (s) running backs or quarterbacks or are they OL linebackers or a defense that ranks at or near the bottom. Is Ballard going to put Luck in behind the incompetent OL that has been sorry for years? If Irsay and Ballard don't get the coming year right it is going to be another very long and sorry season. 

It’s so wierd too. Remember the year before they didn’t allow a sack in back to back games against the Vikings then Raiders? They’re just so inconsistent

58 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

I can understand the reservations about Luck based on what happened this season but I don't see drafting a QB as the answer.  I would also say that he was throwing balls 50 yards not long ago so hopefully it is just about getting the shoulder rehabbed to get the soreness away.

If you are so against a RB in the first round then why would we not use our pick to get Chubb?  The effect players like Miller, Watt, etc have had on their teams is immeasurable, its a major position of need and, if we couple that with Luck being back then we would be in a great position.

I agree I think that while there are some warranted concerns about Luck's health a lot of it is overdone.  

His injury has a far better prognosis then the injury that sidelined Manning in 2011.  Plus Luck was launching the ball with velocity, we all saw the tape of it.  He just started getting some pain and swelling in the shoulder afterwards.  Manning on the other hand was just barely starting to throw at the end of the season.  

It's over the top to say we should draft a QB in the first round.  

2 hours ago, King Colt said:

What if he does not? Another losing season?

Shockingly you the point eluded you.

You seem to be advocating taking a QB regardless.  The point is they will have a really good idea long before the draft if Luck will be good to go for 2018.  If that is the case, drafting a QB pretty much makes no sense, which is why I asked the question.

2 hours ago, King Colt said:

You got it Drafting Barkley as some here advocate would make sense only to trade him for a bucket of talent. Same with top QB.

That is not the way it works in the NFL.  

2 hours ago, Peterk2011 said:

I have no idea why you think the odds of Luck never being healthy again are quite low?   

I'd peg Luck's health status at 50/50...

You'te not alone...   lots of people here agree with you...   I just don't know why?

3 hours ago, King Colt said:

We have a QB luck will be back and be fine we need to fix the team around him that's the problem.

8 hours ago, King Colt said:

Darnold looked like crap against Ohio State.   I wouldn't draft him in the top 10.   Especially on a team with a bad O-line.  

Darnold threw an interception that was returned for a touchdown , lost two fumbles on sacks and misfired on several other throws in No. 8 Southern California's 24-7 loss to fifth-ranked Ohio State on Friday night.  With the two lost fumbles, he's tied for the FBS lead with 22 turnovers.

Edited by Nadine
extra html breaking the page

3 hours ago, Thorolf said:

To those who are saying that Luck was injured, so we should assume he will never play well again, I say this--Didn't you learn your lesson with Peyton Manning ?! Manning got hurt and was out for a season. Management promptly traded him to Denver, assuming he could never play 100% again. Peyton promptly won Denver Superbowl !  

I say we should go on the assumption that Luck is returning in good shape. If it does not occur we still have Brissett who was progressing nicely for a green rookie . Meanwhile lets use that draft pick to help out the offense  which will help whether we are playing with Luck or Brissett .+ 

Not true.  Defense took Manning along for the ride.  Osweiller would have been just as effective.

35 minutes ago, Roger said:

Osweiler could have easily gotten to 56.6 QB rating in that Super Bowl.

I've seen plenty of playoff performances where Peyton's arm wasn't falling off and he played worse. That was actually a pretty good effort for him at that point. He made a couple of good plays early and was the steady hand. The team didn't have a mental breakdown because the QB was ... Brock Osweiler.

Brock wouldn't have won that game in my estimation.