Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts interview requests and confirmations (merge)

stitches

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think a reason I'm not big on Vrabel is that it'd seem like hire for locker room leadership/presence. Potentially just a rehash of Pagano.

I'm not against him being interviewed though, same with Wilks. Although it seems like Wilks has a lot more experience coaching than Vrabel.

7 hours ago, Superman said:

We might wind up turning this thread into the hub for all linked candidates, as more reports come out.

By the way, some rules for the hiring process as it relates to current NFL assistants/coaches:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2666428-the-redemption-of-josh-mcdaniels-failure-taught-pats-oc-how-to-pick-his-spots

If we assume that the Colts will be interviewing Toub and/or Nagy from KC, those interviews can't happen until next week, which means we should buckle in for an extended hiring process. I'm fine with that.

I just don't want Ballard hiring one of his buddies from KC. I'm not saying he would get hired just for that reason but it helps. But also not saying he necessarily wouldn't do a good job either. I just want the best candidate buddies or not. 

31 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Don't know much about Toub, but how often are ST coaches hired

I'm sure Ballard is judging on things he knows about him outside of special teams. Things he knows translate directly into HC. Decision making, leadership, fighting spirit, wisdom etc etc. Couple times I listened to him he does seem like a guy who can teach.

9 hours ago, coltsfan77 said:

Yea, know jealousy is part of it. Plus can't help to feel cheated by them out of at least one Superbowl. Just do not want to hear about the pats every week and especially a colts game. I am a big Duke basketball fan and have two studs on the Celtics. Can't pull for them because I really do not want anything out of Boston to win because of pats fans, lol! Also am an Orioles fan, then there is the red sox,  a different discussion. 

So you are a Colts, Orioles and Duke fan? Wow...nice meeting another such as myself on this forum!  I have old Baltimore ties and am a Duke alum c/o 94.  I also am a fan of the Washington Wizards so I am also admittedly torn by the fact that the Celts now have two of my favorite Blue Devils currently on their squad. I can’t really dislike that team as much as I did last year. Lol 

9 hours ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, I despise the Rooney rule for that reason :(

Because it shifts the focus away from head coaching talent and more obligation towards adversity? I agree with that. But, it doesn't stunt the interview process, so honestly, it doesn't matter too much. The more coach prospects the better.

19 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes...   it can be a sham sometimes....

Team X is hiring Coach Y and everyone knows it.    So why should any AA candidate interview in that case?

Because interviewing for the top job is a good thing.    Because you might really impress the room of execs.   And even if you don't get the job this time, you might get the job the next time it comes open.    Or, an executive in the room leaves that franchise to become the GM elsewhere.   Maybe he was wowed and now he's got a shot to hire you.

I would always tell an AA candidate to interview for every job you can even if it's a sham.   Because it could lead to something someday.

I honestly think they need a Rooney rule for the bottom position coaches and coaching assistants job more then they need it for the top.

Here is the thing.  The biggest problem with getting AA head coaches is that there arn't enough of them entering the coaching ranks in the first place.  I don't see it as a problem of them getting overlooked when they become coordinators and do a good job, I see it as a problem of not enough entering from the ground up.

And here is the thing, entering at the ground level is likely where interviewing is going to make a difference in the first place.  Because there isn't much resume to judge them on.  So a big part is if you are going to fit in philosophically with the other coaches, which is discovered during interview.

The problem at the HC level is that it's almost all resume.  The Colts already probably know who they like and who they want to hire.  The interviews are a formality that as long as their top choice doesn't blow it during the interviews he's going to be the next HC.  Furthermore I feel that AA coordinators that have good resumes as coordinators get head coaching opportunities like anyone else.  Can you name me a current AA coordinator that has been coaching good offenses or defenses for years but hasn't gotten a head coaching gig?  If they have the resume they will get their shot at the top job.  These guys arn't getting HC jobs because of the Rooney Rule they are getting jobs because they got an opportunity to coach at the bottom level and they showed they where good at it.  

So to me forcing them to interview a minority candidate for the HC vacancy is a good idea but it's fundamentally flawed because teams are hiring on resume at this level, the interview is a formality unless some other team snatches up all their favorite candidates.  You need a Rooney rule at the bottom level where a position coach could come in and potentially impress them with his knowledge.  Because at that level there isn't much resume to go on, so interviews are exponentially more important.  

Well there's and interesting group of canadates! I like MacDaniels offense but he was VERY immature in Denver read on here somewhere a nice article about how he has  potential changed maybe? For me he's always been an easy guy to hate! Toub and Nagy ahhhhh ok would know really nothing about them other than a few articles which painted both in a good light maybe there ok the whole KC thing makes me feel weird? I guess it's ok that Ballard likes them! Verbal that one surprised me and Wilks I know nothing about I would think the are long shots!

i will say this though Irsay said and I believe it that Ballards doing the Heavy lifting so to speak in the search,  I can guarantee you  he won't bring in a guy that  diminishes the role of the GM so I think there will be no  Harbaugh or Gruden !

12 hours ago, CR91 said:

I don't know about Richard. Seahawks defense wasn't even that good this year and yea I get Sherman and cam got hurt, but they really fell off. Even made bortles look good

Yeah, I always like to feel out how the fans of where these guys come from feel about the possibility of said candidate leaving.

Seahawks fans seem to be in agreement for the most part that this guy isn't close to being ready and wouldn't be sad to see him go. I got a pretty similar vibe from Seahawks/Texans fans about Richards and Vrabel.

14 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Well there's and interesting group of canadates! I like MacDaniels offense but he was VERY immature in Denver read on here somewhere a nice article about how he has  potential changed maybe? For me he's always been an easy guy to hate! Toub and Nagy ahhhhh ok would know really nothing about them other than a few articles which painted both in a good light maybe there ok the whole KC thing makes me feel weird? I guess it's ok that Ballard likes them! Verbal that one surprised me and Wilks I know nothing about I would think the are long shots!

i will say this though Irsay said and I believe it that Ballards doing the Heavy lifting so to speak in the search,  I can guarantee you  he won't bring in a guy that  diminishes the role of the GM so I think there will be no  Harbaugh or Gruden !

Nagy got an interview with the Bears as well.  He's a sought after coach and Toub has had interviews to be a head coach too.  It's not just the "former KC connection",  other teams are interesting.  Also McDaniels has a lot of interest around the league and several interviews. 

Has there been an official request for Matt Nagy?

I know Ian Rapaport and others have said we're expected to interview him but I've yet to see an official  "Colts request to interview Nagy" tweet like we've seen for McD, Wilks, Vrabel, and Richards.

Not that there's not still time to request one, especially since he's in the playoffs, just that I've seen it stated numerous times that he's being interviewed.

I can’t be sold on anyone from the Patriots. All I hear is the same narrative. “ He learned for years under BB”. I’m not a believer in this trickle down theory with the Pats. People think that any player or coach that are under Brady and Bill are destined for stardom. Easy way to get burned IMO.

19 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Has there been an official request for Matt Nagy?

I know Ian Rapaport and others have said we're expected to interview him but I've yet to see an official  "Colts request to interview Nagy" tweet like we've seen for McD, Wilks, Vrabel, and Richards.

Not that there's not still time to request one, especially since he's in the playoffs, just that I've seen it stated numerous times that he's being interviewed.

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero

The #Colts have requested an interview with #Seahawks DC Kris Richard for their head coaching job, sources say. So add him to names @RapSheet and @MikeGarafolo said earlier: Josh McDaniels, Matt Nagy, Steve Wilks, Mike Vrabel. #Bills interviewed Richard last year.

1/1/2018, 7:38:46 PM

That's about it so far

8 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I can’t be sold on anyone from the Patriots. All I hear is the same narrative. “ He learned for years under BB”. I’m not a believer in this trickle down theory with the Pats. People think that any player or coach that are under Brady and Bill are destined for stardom. Easy way to get burned IMO.

I can believe in Mcdaniels from an Xs and Os standpoint.  Especially with a strong QB like he'd get with Luck.   Not sure that I'd copy that exact same system they've used with Tom Brady because I believe they are two different QB.   Mcdaniels is not my choice but I do believe he's competent football wise.  It's the personal relationships I have pause about.

13 hours ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Doyel is probably the DUMBEST beat writer covering the colts.  He’s all doom and gloom and he’s never right about anything.  He’s kind of like Dakich.

Probably because he’s not a beat writer.  He’s columnist.  His job is to write his opinion and the best way to get people to pay attention to your opinion is to be controversial.  

With that said I agree with you I don’t care for him.  His opinions tend to boarder on conspiracy theories and I am just not into that.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

I can believe in Mcdaniels from an Xs and Os standpoint.  Especially with a strong QB like he'd get with Luck.   Not sure that I'd copy that exact same system they've used with Tom Brady because I believe they are two different QB.   Mcdaniels is not my choice but I do believe he's competent football wise.  It's the personal relationships I have pause about.

Exactly!!

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

I’d say it’s Hankins.  He’s a vet and he seems like he was setting the expectations last season in training camp.

He didn't come to mind at first, but I would agree, is Bostic still under contract, he might be another guy or Simon, although both were hurt. Maybe Woods a little bit?