Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Best offensive and defensive colt of the year

compuls1v3

12 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

I feel Gore and Hankins were the best for us this year because of their reliability.  Who was your best and why?

Agree with Hankins.

Offense is a tough question. Maybe Castonzo as he's been solid over the last half ? 

How is it not Hilton for offense? Yes he disappears at times, but he had 150 yards plus 3 times, which were the only games the colts won. He still had respectable numbers despite  a backup QB, horrible Oline (that wouldn't let him time to get open downfield), and virtually no other wr on the team for the opponents to game plan/shift their attention to.

Defense is debatable. It was Simon before he got hurt. Probably Hankins due to availability and reliability.

Gore on offense because the guy has no quit in him and can grind out every game year after year.

Melvin on defense because he came into the year with everything against him.  He has played great this year before the injury and has shown the ability to be a starter as a CB.

Sheard showed something unique. Hankins is fine, but I don't recall being wowed, just consistent. 

Gore. There's really no competition there. Doyel would be a distant two. He went through a few weeks that were totally mental and he's not really regained those targets.

Offense - Gore, with TY, AC, and a healthy Kelly being honorable mentions

Defense- Simon pre-injury, with honorable mentions going to Hankins and if healthy the following players: Hooker, Bostic, and Melvin.  Other guys on D I liked this year were Anderson (healthy he looked like he was getting back to his old self), Sheard, Mingo, Woods, Hairston, Desir and the past couple games I've been mostly impressed by Quincy Wilson.  Moore II (I hated initially) has been half-way decent recently, and it seems like A. Walker, Basham, and Stewart have all made progress throughout the season.  

ST - Vinatieri still has it and I was very pleased with Sanchez (big shoes to fill w/ McAfee retired).

If we can get everyone back and keep them healthy, we shouldn't be too far away from having a good team here in Indy.  Unfortunately, several of our key players missed time due to injury this season (Anderson, Kelly, Melvin, Desir, Hooker, Bostic, Mewhort, Swoope, Moncrief, Geathers, Q. Wilson, Simon and Luck are a few that come to mind quickly).  

9 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Offense - Gore, with TY, AC, and a healthy Kelly being honorable mentions

Defense- Simon pre-injury, with honorable mentions going to Hankins and if healthy the following players: Hooker, Bostic, and Melvin.  Other guys on D I liked this year were Anderson (healthy he looked like he was getting back to his old self), Sheard, Mingo, Woods, Hairston, Desir and the past couple games I've been mostly impressed by Quincy Wilson.  Moore II (I hated initially) has been half-way decent recently, and it seems like A. Walker, Basham, and Stewart have all made progress throughout the season.  

ST - Vinatieri still has it and I was very pleased with Sanchez (big shoes to fill w/ McAfee retired).

If we can get everyone back and keep them healthy, we shouldn't be too far away from having a good team here in Indy.  Unfortunately, several of our key players missed time due to injury this season (Anderson, Kelly, Melvin, Desir, Hooker, Bostic, Mewhort, Swoope, Moncrief, Geathers, Q. Wilson, Simon and Luck are a few that come to mind quickly).  

That's a mighty big list of quality players missing time with injuries! Injuries to key players seems to be our kryptonite in Indy every year. I agree with a healthy Luck, money to spend on FA and high draft picks we SHOULD be a much improved team next season. Big key will be the quality of depth we end up with next year. Lord knows were going to need plenty of depth at every position the way this team goes down. 

32 minutes ago, dudeski said:

AC hands down for offense.  he is really the only answer if people can try and think for a minute.  but oh wait, people wanted him cut 8 weeks ago.  haha colts fans.  

Don't worry.  Five weeks into 2018, we'll again want him cut, and we'll likely be justified.  That's who he is.  That's the player he is.  

Melvin on defense, Ithought Melvin was the best defensive player in 2016 also, he is not a "scrub" as I heard some jack* say about him on tv last week. On offense it has to be Hilton, Gore, or Mack. I know Mack didn't get many touches, but I wonder what he would of done if he had.

Castanzo and Melvin.

Ballard just said AC is playing the best ball of his career.    PFF said Castanzo has graded out as the 12th best tackle in football and the 17th best overall lineman.

Melvin was on the PFF defensive team of the first half of the season.   He will hopefully be a top corner for us in the future.   I'll think of him as Pagano's going away gift to the Colts.