Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Say What You Want

IndyD4U

In my opinion, having the game well in hand and then giving it away in the 4th quarter is more frustrating than simply being overmatched like in Week 1. I'm thrilled to see the improvement, but the ending of that game was aggravating to say the least. 

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While there are improvements I just still see too many problems.

I think getting absolutely blown out by the Rams kind of makes this game look good mostly in comparison.

If they only go up from here then that's great, this game could be looked at as a stepping stone. But if things continue on like this, which I think the final score would look worse if we were playing a better team, then I wouldn't look back on it too positively.

12 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

We improved. 

Bottom line 

You give participation trophy and not keep score for games don't you

4 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

Don't come at me with attacks. Contribute. Say something meaningful 

Okay the colts defense blew it again.If it not the offense its the defense. 

4 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

If you thought that this team was better than 8-8 (even with Luck) going into the season then you're foolish. 

We're rebuilding. Half the roster has turned over. I'm looking at the foundation that Ballard is building. Looking at the big picture. 

Ignore the downers.  From the beginning, with more than 3/4 new starters, we knew we were rebuilding. It doesn't happen overnight.  

I saw improvement.  I saw a very young and inexperienced defense play very well against a very experienced QB. Apparently a lot of others wanted to see magic, so they're disappointed.  

The better Brissett performs the more games the Colts will win adding to the "Sit Luck All Year" movement of which I am president of (I won that lection fair & square). If you don't want Luck healthy for the next ten years then trade him now and let someone else bandage him.

This loss is kind of a good thing, no? 

Listen, we just can't stick with Pagano anymore.  Another 0-2 start.  Team is still committing penalties and turnovers at the worst possible times. 

This franchise has to start to build a truly talented roster with depth that can play competitively with the perennial playoff teams both at home and on the road. 

I'm also not really that proud of the team.  They're getting paid millions of dollars to win these games.  The fact that they avoided total embarrassment, even with a backup QB, should be a given in my opinion. 

Not trying to be the Grinch.  Just trying to look at the situation objectively. 

2 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

This loss is kind of a good thing, no? 

Listen, we just can't stick with Pagano anymore.  Another 0-2 start.  Team is still committing penalties and turnovers at the worst possible times. 

This franchise has to start to build a truly talented roster with depth that can play competitively with the perennial playoff teams both at home and on the road. 

I agree it is a good thing the faster we dump chuck the better 

Sure only 10% of teams that start 0-2 make the playoffs, but don't misinterpret that stat. That is, it doesn't mean that Indy has a 10% chance to make the playoffs.

They are one game out and haven't played any division games yet.

JB was a giant improvement over that other guy and he's had limited time to learn the offense, which is part of the play-calling issue. That last play was ugly, but I was encouraged, overall. Eventually we won't have to adjust the playbook for him much, if at all, from what we want to run with Luck. That trade is looking good, atm. 

Speaking of Luck, he will be back soon, probably in 2 or 3 weeks, but surely soon enough to make a run at the division and the playoffs. There is still no team in our division that is good enough to run away with it, even with a possible 3 game lead going into week 5. 

We lost this game for the same reasons we've lost many:  Poor game management and coaching.  Chuck Pagano is a good man, probably a good D.C. but, a bad head coach.  He and Grigson should have been fired 2 years ago instead of having their contracts extended.  If that would have occurred, a good GM like Ballard (or someone else at that time) and a real head coach could have fixed the offensive line in front of Luck and worked on a shotty defensive unit.  Sure, the defense played better today.  They'll get better next week but, that's not the point.  We have wasted 2+ years with Luck because of the poor management and coaching.  We are now who we are for the past failures.

Why has Philbin failed to teach our OL to react to defensive linemen jumping into the neutral zone?

Every NFL team, besides the Colts, has linemen capable of doing this.

It's Article 4, b): It is a neutral zone infraction when . . . a defender enters the neutral zone prior to the snap, causing the offensive player(s) in close proximity (including a quarterback who is under center) to react (move) immediately to protect himself (themselves) against impending contact.

Colts failed to capitalize on this at least once during the second half, during a crucial series no less.

27 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

Sure only 10% of teams that start 0-2 make the playoffs, but don't misinterpret that stat. That is, it doesn't mean that Indy has a 10% chance to make the playoffs.

They are one game out and haven't played any division games yet.

JB was a giant improvement over that other guy and he's had limited time to learn the offense, which is part of the play-calling issue. That last play was ugly, but I was encouraged, overall. Eventually we won't have to adjust the playbook for him much, if at all, from what we want to run with Luck. That trade is looking good, atm. 

Speaking of Luck, he will be back soon, probably in 2 or 3 weeks, but surely soon enough to make a run at the division and the playoffs. There is still no team in our division that is good enough to run away with it, even with a possible 3 game lead going into week 5. 

What are you basing you statement "he will be back soon, probably in 2 or 3 weeks" on ? 

I was quite impressed with Brissett. 

He's not great, but he can zip the ball. Most of his throws were "NFL" tier.   

Moncrief really disappointed me today. He looked lost.  In a contract year too.   

But (O)'Doyle DOES rule. 

Oline was much better, but the penalties were egregious. 

Castonzo continues to be a bad contract. Average Olineman, huge contract.     

I cannot say much bad about the defense. The lack of coverage over the middle is still a giant issue that will not be solved without better LB'ers. I do not think the Cardinal's offense is very good though and Palmer is a shell of his former self. 

Pagano didn't really do anything embarrassing today.  

The playcalling could have been more suited towards Brissett's style of play, but I cannot blame the staff for not having every option for a QB that they just brought in.   

Huge failure on the FO's part for not signing a competent QB before camp after it was evident Luck was going to miss some time. That's on Ballard. The writing was on the wall. 

1 hour ago, Carlos Danger said:

No way they make a run at 0-4 or 0-5, even in ithis division.  They really needed this game.  The Browns game is pretty much the season.  Lose it, and it's over.  Even if you win it, you are practically guaranteed to be 1-3 the following week.

4 minutes ago, #12. said:

No way they make a run at 0-4 or 0-5, even in ithis division.  They really needed this game.  The Browns game is pretty much the season.  Lose it, and it's over.  Even if you win it, you are practically guaranteed to be 1-3 the following week.

I agree, they need to win next week to even have a slight shot.  We just lost 2 of our easier games of the season.

11 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

Pagano didn't really do anything embarrassing today. ...

Really bad challenge early on the TY screw up on 3rd down.  The very first replay shown clearly showed TY touched down before his second lunge forward. This is either on Pagano or the coach telling him to challenge. It was obvious TY was short. Not hugely impactful as it turned out, but still a coaching blunder needlessly resulting in the loss of precious time outs.  

The BIG blunder was on 3rd down of the Colts last possession in the 4th quarter.  3rd and what, 14 with only 20-something seconds left? You have to do a play that, if you don't pick up the 1st down, it at least results in the clock continuing to run, thereby forcing the Cardinals to burn their last time out, leaving them virtually no time to drive the field for a winning FG.  This blunder really should have cost the game, as it allowed the Cards to drive down for what should have been the game winning FG. 

I also don't like that at the end of the 1st half, with a timeout remaining, the Colts opted to just run out the clock on 3rd down instead of taking another shot at getting the 1st down and into FG range. Just defeatist coaching, to me. 

So as I see it, three blatantly bad coaching decisions.  This staff continues to NOT put the team into the best position to win.

Despite this week's much more encouraging performance, I see continued amateur hour by the coaching staff, yet again. :(

23 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

I was quite impressed with Brissett. 

He's not great, but he can zip the ball. Most of his throws were "NFL" tier.   

He's fine for a backup.  He's good enough to steal a game here or there, especially if this roster were better.  That's all you ask for in a backup.

2 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Two questions...who committed the 15 yard penalty in the 4th that lead to the Cards TD?  Second, was Hairston blitzing as a CB on his sack?

It was 93, although it was a really petty call. They gave up the 3-20 anyways which was a joke. Then added that 15 yard penalty.