Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Say What You Want

IndyD4U

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

Don't tell me who to follow as been with them through a lot of garbage years since 72. It's just they are so Flat and no desire; that is on the HC. You must be a chucker no matter what. 

What were you watching today? You thought this team started flat and showed no desire?  The D started with a 3 and out then the O went on like a 18 play drive which ended in 7 pts They followed that with another 3 and out and a drive that netted an Adam V FG. That's a good start for any team. 

There are very few left on this board who are happy that Pagano and his coordinators are still around. Most see the shortcomings. That doesn't mean that it's not possible to recognize improvements the team has made. That is simply understanding where this team is at and what it's going to take to get where we want to be. 

Football is unlike any other sport in that having a superstar player guarantees nothing. You are truly as strong as your weakest link. It's 11 guys learning to play as one. No team has the roster turnover that we are experiencing coupled with the injuries and doesn't go through a rough patch.  

We are going to lose games. We are a young team our QB is in his 2nd year with 2 weeks in this system. The kid 42 you wanted to criticize name is Moore. He's a rookie UDFA from Valdosta St. There are young guys up and down the roster. They are going to make mistakes. Most understand that's how a young team learns.

This team did a lot of good things today. The staff for the most part didn't mess it up. We played much better and we had better talent on the field. That's progress and recovnizing that doesn't mean we like to lose or think it's ok.

That's wasn't Luck that threw the INT and it wasn't Vontae and Butler in coverage. This team was not flat today and showed plenty of desire. It appears your anger toward Pagano may have blinded you today.

3 minutes ago, akcolt said:

What were you watching today? You thought this team started flat and showed no desire?  The D started with a 3 and out then the O went on like a 18 play drive which ended in 7 pts They followed that with another 3 and out and a drive that netted an Adam V FG. That's a good start for any team. 

There are very few left on this board who are happy that Pagano and his coordinators are still around. Most see the shortcomings. That doesn't mean that it's not possible to recognize improvements the team has made. That is simply understanding where this team is at and what it's going to take to get where we want to be. 

Football is unlike any other sport in that having a superstar player guarantees nothing. You are truly as strong as your weakest link. It's 11 guys learning to play as one. No team has the roster turnover that we are experiencing coupled with the injuries and doesn't go through a rough patch.  

We are going to lose games. We are a young team our QB is in his 2nd year with 2 weeks in this system. The kid 42 you wanted to criticize name is Moore. He's a rookie UDFA from Valdosta St. There are young guys up and down the roster. They are going to make mistakes. Most understand that's how a young team learns.

This team did a lot of good things today. The staff for the most part didn't mess it up. We played much better and we had better talent on the field. That's progress and recovnizing that doesn't mean we like to lose or think it's ok.

That's wasn't Luck that threw the INT and it wasn't Vontae and Butler in coverage. This team was not flat today and showed plenty of desire. It appears your anger toward Pagano may have blinded you today.

I certainly agree that the team played better today and it was a huge improvement from last week.  

That said, it was still not very impressive to lose like that at home.   The improvement mostly came due to how bad the first game really was.   

17 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

If luck ain't practicing this week someone needs to be fired

We need the Coaches and Ballard to quit lying about Luck.... these games of secrecy they are playing give the rest of the team cover for playing badly.  if the WR's continue to play without effort and drop passes, having Luck back makes no difference.  Pagano has lost this team, they are coasting, from OL to WR..  How many times did the defense or someone make a stupid play and Pagano immediately puts his arm around them and consoles them... "here's a cookie and trophy, good try"  instead of lighting a fire under them,  We have cheerleaders, we need coaches!

9 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I'll say it's something the coaches should work on in film study and point out you have to eliminate these dumb penalties, and I've been as hard as anyone on Pagano for the team being undisciplined under him in that regard, but I have no issues with how he handled this situation in game.

The second half was awful with penalties, they really hurt the team's chances of winning. 

But that penalty is understandable. It's clear that the gunner didn't recognize the returner had called for fair catch. I think he only realized it when the returner didn't try to advance the ball, and that's why he pulled up, but it was too late by then. That's not a sign of a lack of discipline, it's a mistake by one player, which is going to happen from time to time.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

The second half was awful with penalties, they really hurt the team's chances of winning. 

But that penalty is understandable. It's clear that the gunner didn't recognize the returner had called for fair catch. I think he only realized it when the returner didn't try to advance the ball, and that's why he pulled up, but it was too late by then. That's not a sign of a lack of discipline, it's a mistake by one player, which is going to happen from time to time.

You're right on that particular play...the fair catch signal needs to be a little more emphatic.  Predictably, you just can't win in this league with back up qb's, even the good one's.  If we can play like we did yesterday with Luck there is reason for hope but it needs to be more than one game.  I do like our front seven so far....I would say big upgrade based on two games.  

1 minute ago, PeterBowman said:

true but even if the Colts stopped them, the penalty would've given them a first down anyways.

You are correct but it's still inexcusable to give up 23 yards on 3rd and 20 when a stop gives you about an 85% (IMO) chance of winning the game. But ya , the penalty still gives them a new set of downs and probably the "longer field" wouldn't have mattered.

19 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Listen the team gave it there all today, and the defense was lights out (mostly). The result doesn't bother me. It's the way it happened.

When you're up 10 in the fourth quarter at home, and at one point the other teams offense (that couldn't do anything all day) is facing a 3rd and 20 from their own 10, you have to close it out.

Disappointing finish to what was otherwise a brilliant display by the defense. 

Agreed up 10 in the 4th quarter and you cant finish an awful team right now just terrible. they improved from week 1 but they blew a 10 point lead that terrible.

2 hours ago, Myles said:

Better coaching would have been to have him ready to not do it in the first place.    Maybe we are getting conditioned to accept a team that is not disciplined.  

I have yet to see much from this Pagano-led team that gives me a good feeling about the coaching. 

This game was better, but we still blew a good lead late.  

A loss to the Browns at home would be embarrassing.  

Of course!  But, you can't coach perfection.  Mistakes will happen. 

I think he handled that mistake well.  (If any coach knows how to handle mistakes, it should be pags!  hahaha)  Seriously though i do think he is a good motivator and he is certainly a players coach.  

38 minutes ago, dw49 said:

You are correct but it's still inexcusable to give up 23 yards on 3rd and 20 when a stop gives you about an 85% (IMO) chance of winning the game. But ya , the penalty still gives them a new set of downs and probably the "longer field" wouldn't have mattered.

Maybe that first down completion was divine intervention because if they had stopped them and then called that lame penalty, i probably would have lost my mind.  

2 hours ago, akcolt said:

The staff for the most part didn't mess it up.

I kinda disagree. Was it the staff's worst game? No, but once again our halftime adjustments seem to pale in comparsion to the opposing team. Chuck did have some weird game managment calls, and it's pretty unforgiveable to get a 12 man on the field penalty after our own timeout. Also on the topic of penalties, we just didn't look very disciplined in that 2nd half.

6 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Maybe that first down completion was divine intervention because if they had stopped them and then called that lame penalty, i probably would have lost my mind.  

Seems like officiating is so much more of an issue than it was years ago. Maybe the replays are better .. I don't know. I was watching a Cub -Cardinal game Saturday and one blown strike call really did change the game. Score was 1-1 bottom 5. Runners on first and second .. 2 outs and the pitcher Martinez is batting with a 2-2 count. Lackey throws a curve that splits the center of the plate. The Cub catcher ,who stinks, kind of stabs at the ball. Martinez takes the pitch and takes like 4 steps back to the dugout. Umpire instead of giving a late strike call sticks with his first impression that it was a ball. Lackey is dumbfounded. Then 3-2 pitch is naturally lined for a base hit and run scored. Lackey is thrown out of the game and the catcher is also tossed. 

2 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Seems like officiating is so much more of an issue than it was years ago. Maybe the replays are better .. I don't know. I was watching a Cub -Cardinal game Saturday and one blown strike call really did change the game. Score was 1-1 bottom 5. Runners on first and second .. 2 outs and the pitcher Martinez is batting with a 2-2 count. Lackey throws a curve that splits the center of the plate. The Cub catcher ,who stinks, kind of stabs at the ball. Martinez takes the pitch and takes like 4 steps back to the dugout. Umpire instead of giving a late strike call sticks with his first impression that it was a ball. Lackey is dumbfounded. Then 3-2 pitch is naturally lined for a base hit and run scored. Lackey is thrown out of the game and the catcher is also tossed. 

That first down call for the colts on 3rd and 1 where the qb sneak lost yardage if anything was the worst i think i've every seen.  It may have been because the chain gang put it on the wrong marker but that should have been reversed.

23 hours ago, MarquisJ said:

great game this defense is very close to being dominate imo cardinals just ran some of the most beautiful rub routes i've ever seen other than that colts defense is legit... jeremiah george stepped up played well loved that and john simon might be our best defensive player! Wrs disappointed me today, but jack doyle is a stud man i tell ya glad to have him! 

Absolutely.  Add a stud ILB, another pass rusher, and Experience, and our Colts have the makings.

+ on George and JD is hitting his Prime.  :thmup:   Several things to be happy about. We are in a considerable rebuild.

9 hours ago, Myles said:

Better coaching would have been to have him ready to not do it in the first place.    Maybe we are getting conditioned to accept a team that is not disciplined.  

I have yet to see much from this Pagano-led team that gives me a good feeling about the coaching. 

This game was better, but we still blew a good lead late.  

A loss to the Browns at home would be embarrassing.  

i concur

8 hours ago, Rally5 said:

You're right on that particular play...the fair catch signal needs to be a little more emphatic.  Predictably, you just can't win in this league with back up qb's, even the good one's.  If we can play like we did yesterday with Luck there is reason for hope but it needs to be more than one game.  I do like our front seven so far....I would say big upgrade based on two games.  

players should be coached to watch for the signal

16 hours ago, Myles said:

I certainly agree that the team played better today and it was a huge improvement from last week.  

That said, it was still not very impressive to lose like that at home.   The improvement mostly came due to how bad the first game really was.   

Losing the game was not impressive and I'm not happy about it. The penalties and adjustments are on the coach's. I have come to terms with the fact that our coaching staff in sub par to suddenly expect that to change is only going to cause frustration. They are not tactical in game coach's nor are they going to give us a disciplined team. If we miss the plays by a game this year here it is. Last year it was the Texans. 

The self discipline is totally frustrating to me. That's the first thing I teach a team the difference between losing and getting beat. I refuse to be part of a team that loses especially one that shoots itself with by dumb penalties. We may not win every game but we won't lose because of penalties or lack of effort. The false starts, off sides, to many men in the huddle. etc  I don't tolerate from my Pop Warner team.  I will have them doing up downs until they can't move. It's beyond frustrating to see it from professionals. It's not going to end this season because it's tolerated by the coach's. The in game adjustments don't expect much there. I expect that to be corrected this off season by Ballard. 

The most frustrating thing for me week 1 is we never had a shot. Our new GM strapped us with a QB that had no business starting. He was outplayed by an UDFA two seasons in a row. This after preaching competition and the players know blah blah blah We start a guy who had played CB for 2 weeks over our draft picks. The non challenge it goes on I'm sure you remember. It was comical and you are right there wasn't .anyway to go but up. 

I was still impressed with Brissett the kid played a heck of a game. It stunk his big mistake came in overtime. If Gore doesn't get hit in the face with the ball Mewhort doesn't jump then maybe that doesn't happen. We needed 6 those guys made sure we got 3. The young guys in the secondary are talented there's a future there. Simon Woods Hank were very good the entire DL played well. George stepped up. The D played a great game man they had 3 points in the 4th. Haeg is back at RT. I don't think he's a G never have. There was reason for excitement.. There were some things not to be so excited about  AC can and has to play better TY and Crief did they know it was Sunday my man JD sure did. There's a light fllickering at the end of the tunnel.

I refuse to continue to allow the short comings of our coach's ruin the game for me. I say we lost the game and focus on why we had our first round pick  up at the line of scrimmage on the play Nelson catches the long ball. Why is he ever up there and Mathis in coverage. Where were the big nasties on the DL for the big downs? Why did Melvin play the whole game?  The coaching decisions are going to be bad if they were better we win the game. Is that a surprise? 

3 hours ago, Chucklez said:

Remind me, who was under center that year?

Touche'!

But it also proves the point that historical statistics are mostly meaningless.  It's like saying that since the 49ers have won about 10% of the Super Bowls, this year's team has about a 10% chance to win it again.

Every circumstance is different.  Yes, most of those teams that started 0-2 were not good teams and have very little chance to make the playoffs.  But sometimes decent teams start out 0-2.  (Not saying we're good this year, just that it's still an unknown).