Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What If We See A Different Colts Team vs. The Cards?

King Colt

On 9/12/2017 at 4:11 PM, egg said:

I think the Colts surprise and almost win, maybe even win. I believe (hope, really) the Ram's game was somewhat of a fluke in that if you remove five or six unusually bad plays: the two pick-six, the Pagano non-challenge, the safety and Vin. missing two easy kicks, and everything else stays the same, the final score would have been 30-17. Nothing to brag about, but not so horrible.

I see what you are trying to say, but if we also removed 5 or 6 bad plays by the Rams, they may have beat us worse. 

I think the Cardinals will win this week.   I do think it will be closer.    

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/12/2017 at 5:35 PM, SilentHill said:

You know, if you are going to try and educate people you should provide supporting documentation.

The true definition of insanity is the state of being seriously mentally ill; madness:

https://www.google.com/search?q=definition+of+insanity

What I believe @Albabywas referring to was the often misquoted Albert Einstein which people believe he said:

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result."

However this is commonly believed to be internet folklore and the actual origin appears to be a 1981 pamphlet from Narcotics Anonymous:

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2017/03/23/same/

maxresdefault.jpg

Not sure when it was first used, but I know it was prior to 1964.    In the plant I work in, it is framed on an old picture that has been in a basement conference room since 1964.  

I guess I will never grasp why some back up QBs are so terrible. I wonder what the dialogue is during practices as the coaches witness the backups throw the balls everywhere except where they should be. Hundreds of millions in salaries and some backups that are at best, a negative plug in some rosters. To me there is just too much talent available to have guys on rosters that simply cannot play the game. 

6 minutes ago, King Colt said:

I guess I will never grasp why some back up QBs are so terrible. I wonder what the dialogue is during practices as the coaches witness the backups throw the balls everywhere except where they should be. Hundreds of millions in salaries and some backups that are at best, a negative plug in some rosters. To me there is just too much talent available to have guys on rosters that simply cannot play the game. 

This is because some backups get 0 snaps in practice.  There is no evaluation because your starter is taking all the practice time.  Ask any backup who sat behind Peyton Manning....0 practice snaps while Manning was out there.

52 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

If the Colts play well and win the game, why would you assume they would then play 7-8 bad games, considering they would be getting some pretty good players back? Just curious. 

What I keep hearing is "this is Pagano's sixth year".

But it is his first year with Ballard. I think that makes a difference in correcting the things that need to be corrected. We shall see...

Looking back at previous years. We would beat some good teams and then lay a fat egg on teams without QBs, etc.

10 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

This is because some backups get 0 snaps in practice.  There is no evaluation because your starter is taking all the practice time.  Ask any backup who sat behind Peyton Manning....0 practice snaps while Manning was out there.

You are right and is that not incredibly stupid? The structure of a team should include 100 % of the players. I guess I am looking for something that does not make sense in the real football world but having a player that cannot play is worse than dead weight to my thinking..

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

Because in practice against our awful passing defense Tolzien probably did look serviceable. Brock lit us up..... Pretty much any qb in the league has us circled on the schedule for a career day. It also may explain why our pass defense has been amongst the leagues worst since Tolzien started taking reps with the 1's in practice.

5 minutes ago, life long said:

Because in practice against our awful passing defense Tolzien probably did look serviceable. Brock lit us up..... Pretty much any qb in the league has us circled on the schedule for a career day. It also may explain why our pass defense has been the leagues worst since Tolzien started taking reps with the 1's in practice.

I agree, but you would think that having all the coached and the GM, some sort of way to judge game day play would be had.  

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I see what you are trying to say, but if we also removed 5 or 6 bad plays by the Rams, they may have beat us worse. 

I think the Cardinals will win this week.   I do think it will be closer.    

Sure, but the plays I mentioned happen typically maybe twice a year rather than twice in a game. I didn't even mention the TY fumble, or the short field the Rams got before the half when Colts failed a 4th down rather than (normally) punt. Take that 3 points away and the final score would have been 27-17. That's without the offense converting a single third down, and the pass defense being non-existent.

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

You are right and is that not incredibly stupid? The structure of a team should include 100 % of the players. I guess I am looking for something that does not make sense in the real football world but having a player that cannot play is worse than dead weight to my thinking..

I think a lot of it has to do with the changes that were made in the last CBA that restricted how much practice time teams are allowed to have.  Now they barely have enough practice time to get 1 QB ready, let alone 2.

15 minutes ago, J@son said:

I think a lot of it has to do with the changes that were made in the last CBA that restricted how much practice time teams are allowed to have.  Now they barely have enough practice time to get 1 QB ready, let alone 2.

Where I do see your point...this has been something that has happened long before the current CBA.  Again, Manning and the Colts as an example.  That was before the current CBA and limited time for anything.

3 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Where I do see your point...this has been something that has happened long before the current CBA.  Again, Manning and the Colts as an example.  That was before the current CBA and limited time for anything.

Well, to be fair though, the Manning/Colts example isn't really the best to use because it was the very fact they their backup was so unprepared that got the staff fired.

I do see your overall point though because you're right, it has been an issue for a long time, backup QB only getting a fraction of snaps with the first team during practice, but when the CBA came along and limited practice time, that made the situation exponentially worse. :)

3 minutes ago, J@son said:

I do see your overall point though because you're right, it has been an issue for a long time, backup QB only getting a fraction of snaps with the first team during practice, but when the CBA came along and limited practice time, that made the situation exponentially worse. :)

Yes!  The new CBA made a lot things worse IMO.  The constant decline in O-line play and players not fully developing like they could have.  Just my opinion but it hurts the game and the players to an extent (not physically). 

4 hours ago, life long said:

Because in practice against our awful passing defense Tolzien probably did look serviceable. Brock lit us up..... Pretty much any qb in the league has us circled on the schedule for a career day. It also may explain why our pass defense has been amongst the leagues worst since Tolzien started taking reps with the 1's in practice.

SAD,,,,, but very true

2 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Yes!  The new CBA made a lot things worse IMO.  The constant decline in O-line play and players not fully developing like they could have.  Just my opinion but it hurts the game and the players to an extent (not physically). 

add poor tackling technique in there too.  And I agree it hurts the game, but it could be leading to injuries as well.  guys not as in shape as they could/should be...improper technique by anyone attempting a tackle or block could easily lead to injuries.  They really didn't think all that through. 

To answer the OP, the problem is that when we see a "different " Colts team, its usually a short lived thing, so there's no reason to put stick into it. The Colts we saw last Sunday are pretty much indicative of who they are. They may beat teams like Denver and the Packers occasionally, but eventually the Colts always come back down to earth. Even if the Colts beat the Cards I wouldn't get excited.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

To answer the OP, the problem is that when we see a "different " Colts team, its usually a short lived thing, so there's no reason to put stick into it. The Colts we saw last Sunday are pretty much indicative of who they are. They may beat teams like Denver and the Packers occasionally, but eventually the Colts always come back down to earth. Even if the Colts beat the Cards I wouldn't get excited.

You wouldn't be excited  if the colts beat  the cards? Then why even watch the game?

On 9/12/2017 at 3:09 PM, Albaby said:

I highly doubt the Colts will play well against the Cards next week.  This team won't do anything different to prepare for next week than they did against the Rams.  You know the definition of insanity is alive and well in the front office.

Its called Paganoism

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

You wouldn't be excited  if the colts beat  the cards? Then why even watch the game?

I'd be excited about the win,but not excited about the rest of the season is what I meant. Them beating the Cards wouldn't change my perception of them. I still think this is a below average team.

Same result a loss if Tolzien plays.  You might have a chance with Brissett, not saying you'll win.  At least the odds are better with Brisset than Tolzien.  I don't understand why they haven't made the decision yet.  It's not rocket scientist to try to figure this sucker out.  Pick the quarterback top start now, Pagano. Wait you're days are number anyway, you don't give a hoot......

13 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I'd be excited about the win,but not excited about the rest of the season is what I meant. Them beating the Cards wouldn't change my perception of them. I still think this is a below average team.

a well reasoned, thought out explanation.  And I'm not being the least bit sarcastic. I agree 100%. :)

11 hours ago, gacoop1 said:

Same result a loss if Tolzien plays.  You might have a chance with Brissett, not saying you'll win.  At least the odds are better with Brisset than Tolzien.  I don't understand why they haven't made the decision yet.  It's not rocket scientist to try to figure this sucker out.  Pick the quarterback top start now, Pagano. Wait you're days are number anyway, you don't give a hoot......

With Brissett now announced as the starter, our odds of winning just went up -- from 0% to something around 5%. Is he better than Pick Machine Tolzien? Sure. Is he going to come out and singlehandedly win the game for us? Ummm...no. We can only hope that poor Jacoby survives the experience with all of his organs and limbs intact. 

On 9/12/2017 at 3:36 PM, Archer said:

I think we'll be in the game.  You can't get any luckier than having David Johnson and DJ Humphries miss the game for the Cards.  Every year we have to relearn the facts that teams are closer in talent than we think and that you shouldn't condemn or anoint a team after one bad/great game...

Although I said that about us getting lucky to have the Rams week 1 and to have Aaron Donald holding out on them. That didn't get us squat.

28 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

Although I said that about us getting lucky to have the Rams week 1 and to have Aaron Donald holding out on them. That didn't get us squat.

True dat!  Me too.  But I'd rather be wrong as an optimist than right as a pessimist!

We are facing a really good defense, but IMO our own running game is the key to keeping this close. Less of our defense on the field and less our newer QB has to think about and do. Pounding Gore, Mack & Turbin 30-35 runs would be great. BUT we can't get behind by mile by halftime either.

Different Colts team?  No.  Better Colts team?  Hopefully!

Maybe we were just getting all the bad out of the way in the first game.  Maybe last week was so ugly because we were saving up our luck and good karma for our home opener.  :dunno: 

The game is in Indy, the Cards lost some good players in the off-season, and they have some starters injured for this game.  Arizona should still be favored, but not by more than a FG.

Maybe we get Lucky this week.  :thmup:

:clover: