Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mike Wells: Colts have 1st losing season under Andrew Luck

TKnight24

"My initial game-by-game predictions in April had the Indianapolis Colts finishing with a winning record (9-7) for the first time since the 2014 season, which was also the same season that they reached the AFC Championship Game. But things have changed over the past four months. I made that prediction based on the Colts having quarterback Andrew Luck for all of training camp and for all 16 games during the regular season. Luck didn't take part in training camp and there are questions about whether he'll be playing in Week 1 against the Los Angeles Rams."

That reason alone just made me disagree with him... So what if he doesn't play week one and missed training camp, he's a veteran and it doesn't take a veteran much less a really good QB too long to get back on track with his offense.. This team will win the AFC South and have a winning record. Big reason will be because of the support from the defense. 

I don't have any idea what this team will be, because Andrew Luck makes this team in my mind good enough to win the division, without him for more than 2 or 3 games, it really screws with this season- even if the squad does eventually get healthy and play up to potential. 

If the team was totally healthy I could find you 10/12 wins. In this state I can find 5/6 games that they *could* win, but I can't say for sure that they will. We need to see the regular season product to make a guess...

I wouldn't be shocked if it's another 8-8 campaign honestly.

I think most colts fans have this mind set that if our QB isn't playing, we're going to be horrible. It spilled over from Manning era. Ballard stated he wanted to change that. Let's given it a couple games in the REGULAR season before we call for heads geez.

5 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Way too early to rely on predictions. Too many questions to answer. Not only for the Colts but foes as well.

What if Mariota,Watt, Rothersburger or Wilson go down?

Not impressed by Mike Wells

Goodness...

This is isn't a Mike Wells thing.   ESPN is out with predictions for all 32 teams today. That's why Wells is doing his prediction.

Its close enough to the to the start of the season for predictions to be reasonable.

Personally I think Wells' prediction is pretty fair if you go through game by game.    I think we'll win the last game of the year against Houston at home.   Luck should be the difference in that game.    

We'd end up 8-8 for the third straight year.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Personally I think Wells' prediction is pretty fair if you go through game by game.    I think we'll win the last game of the year against Houston at home.   Luck should be the difference in that game.    

We'd end up 8-8 for the third straight year.

See, I think we'll actually end up winning the last two. The Ravens game can be winnable depending on who is healthy. If, and this is a big if, we have all of our starters I don't see why we can't finish out the season at 9-7. But i'm an optimist... 

Honestly I just want to see us beat the Steelers this season. That would show progress. If that happens, I'm good with whatever happens afterwards. 

After what was displayed in the preseason and watching the M*A*S*H unit we are dealing with why would anyone dispute PREDICTING a losing season for this team?  Honestly a prediction of a winning season would be the "#fakenews" that people are talking about.  The Colts are essentially the New Orleans Saints AFC in terms of roster construction and in terms of division we are like in the NFC East (a bunch of middling teams with no clear cut favorite).  Who would predict the Saints having a winning season if you don't even know when Brees is gonna start?

Just trying to be a realist here.

I do think the Titans are gonna be really good. It might take 11-5 to win the division this year.

We will go 12-4 tho....I feel good about this team.

I think people are really sleeping on us this year and I like that. I feel like this defense is gonna be pretty good by the end of the season, and the biggest difference this year is that we are gonna force turnovers. I do think we can win the first two games with or without Luck. 

I also think our offense is gonna be fantastic this year. Dorsett is gonna be much improved, and Marlon Mack is gonna be the missing link that makes us really dangerous. The best way to protect Luck at this point is to make them pay for blitzing us, and put the defense on their heels. Tom Brady has all day because he kills you when you blitz, not because the Patriots line is that great. You can only rush 4, and have 2 seconds to get to him because he gets rid of it. 

Mike Wells prediction for this year means about as little as possible to me. He knows more about buffets and R&B than anything else. He should be writing about those things, it would be much more interesting. 

For anyone complaining about Mike Wells's 7-9 prediction for the Colts this year you should know this...    the consensus from ESPN's other NFL experts is....    6-10.

They don't see what we see.

And a reminder...   last year these same people pegged us at 7-9 and we finished 8-8.

If we had any kind of health and our draft picks looked like they'd be contributing more this year I'd say we'd go 10-6...

But as I sit here today, the team feels very 8-8 to me.     I hope I'm wrong but fear I'm right.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

For anyone complaining about Mike Wells's 7-9 prediction for the Colts this year you should know this...    the consensus from ESPN's other NFL experts is....    6-10.

They don't see what we see.

And a reminder...   last year these same people pegged us at 7-9 and we finished 8-8.

If we had any kind of health and our draft picks looked like they'd be contributing more this year I'd say we'd go 10-6...

But as I sit here today, the team feels very 8-8 to me.     I hope I'm wrong but fear I'm right.

IMO, 8-8 is a bit generous.

I feel like with a healthy Luck we're a slightly sub .500 team, give or take a game or two depending how the ball bounces.

With Luck probably missing the first two games and who knows if he can stay healthy and play the remaining 14, I look for a losing record for our Colts.

I too hope I'm wrong.

4 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

IMO, 8-8 is a bit generous.

I feel like with a healthy Luck we're a slightly sub .500 team, give or take a game or two depending how the ball bounces.

With Luck probably missing the first two games and who knows if he can stay healthy and play the remaining 14, I look for a losing record for our Colts.

I too hope I'm wrong.

I think a lot of people are overvaluing this team as a whole.  

IMO we're pretty bad.  

Luck, if he plays, will win us 2-3 games we shouldn't win.  

Without Luck we'll lose those games.  

At best, with Luck starting by week 3, I think we win 9 games.  

Otherwise we'll win 5 or 6.

It's amazing the logic, or lack thereof in this thread. We finish 8-8 last year with Luck, this year, we have Luck hurt, Kelly hurt, Vontae Hurt, several other injuries, and people think we will have a winning record. What's going on here? Literally no logic behind that. We are basically praying to have a 1-3 record to start the year, unless some football miracle happens behind now and the middle of the day and Luck is named the week 1 starter. We had one draft and FA period with Ballard (Newsflash: every other team participated in that as well), we don't have a shot of making the playoffs unless Luck starts week 1, and history says the last 2 years we are a 8-8 team when that happens, so I don't know how we are a winning team without him, unless you are saying we are better without Luck. To have a chance at the playoffs, Luck is going to have to be healthy all year, most of the draft picks and FA's will have to break out, there can't hardly be any more injuries, and it seems people here think that's a given. 

It's amazing how many serious predictions of winning records and playoff predictions are on this page, i get being an optimist, but there's also just being ignorant of the situation, and sadly, it seems a lot are on here right now are going to be shocked what happens should Luck miss any time. You'll use the Falcons excuse that it could happen to us, but in reality, it's a weak argument that reeks of desperation. Lets hope Luck returns week 1, if not, our playoffs hopes are crushed and we may finish closer to 2011 than what we've been finishing.

I don't disagree. I too think Indy will have a losing season. Just feels that way with all the injuries and the issue with Luck's shoulder.

My prediction remains at 6-10. Even when Luck returns, which may be later than we all think, he will have a lot of rust to shake off.

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It's amazing the logic, or lack thereof in this thread. We finish 8-8 last year with Luck, this year, we have Luck hurt, Kelly hurt, Vontae Hurt, several other injuries, and people think we will have a winning record. What's going on here? Literally no logic behind that. We are basically praying to have a 1-3 record to start the year, unless some football miracle happens behind now and the middle of the day and Luck is named the week 1 starter. We had one draft and FA period with Ballard (Newsflash: every other team participated in that as well), we don't have a shot of making the playoffs unless Luck starts week 1, and history says the last 2 years we are a 8-8 team when that happens, so I don't know how we are a winning team without him, unless you are saying we are better without Luck. To have a chance at the playoffs, Luck is going to have to be healthy all year, most of the draft picks and FA's will have to break out, there can't hardly be any more injuries, and it seems people here think that's a given. 

It's amazing how many serious predictions of winning records and playoff predictions are on this page, i get being an optimist, but there's also just being ignorant of the situation, and sadly, it seems a lot are on here right now are going to be shocked what happens should Luck miss any time. You'll use the Falcons excuse that it could happen to us, but in reality, it's a weak argument that reeks of desperation. Lets hope Luck returns week 1, if not, our playoffs hopes are crushed and we may finish closer to 2011 than what we've been finishing.

10-6 If Andrew plays by week 3.

1 minute ago, ponyboy said:

My gut feeling as of now:

3-13 if Luck is out all season

7-9 if Luck is on PUP to start the season, returning week 7

8-8 if Luck is back by week 4

9-7 if Luck is back week 2 (which I doubt)

10-6 if Luck had returned during training camp

Really hard to argue any of that, I am just always so optimistic. If Andrew is out for the season I would say 4-12. I'll still say 8-8 if he plays Week 7 and on because I think we can go 2-4 without him because of our early schedule. If he's back by week 2 or even 3, I say 10-6.

hate to face reality but our o-line is still not good enough, our pass pressure is poor, we still give up big plays on 3rd down, qb is a ? , our receivers cant get open, i see us winning 49ers, bengals, bills, and ravens, finish last in our division, our talent level is below average at most spots, too many years of poor talent picks, our draft picks this year i like but they take time to develop, but i still hope for a playoff season and we dont know until they play the games. we can still hope we get to be in the sb.

1 minute ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

hate to face reality but our o-line is still not good enough, our pass pressure is poor, we still give up big plays on 3rd down, qb is a ? , our receivers cant get open, i see us winning 49ers, bengals, bills, and ravens, finish last in our division, our talent level is below average at most spots, too many years of poor talent picks, our draft picks this year i like but they take time to develop, but i still hope for a playoff season and we dont know until they play the games. we can still hope we get to be in the sb.

With Andrew I see us sweeping Jacks and splitting with Texans and Titans = 4-2 in the Division. I think without him we have a shot at beating the Rams as well. We will beat the Browns and 49ers regardless IMO.