Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is it time to completely bench TJ Green?

RockThatBlue

He is coming out of college program in Clemson that was very flamboyant and nasty. That will be coached out of him so I am not as concerned now but if this keeps up in the future if will be a problem. I for one do not think he has been horrible, just a rookie finding his way 

He is really playing totally out of control.  Like a runaway freight train.  We knew he was a project player but his style of play has to change. Being a big hitter is one thing but totally out of control is another.  We need to see if he can develop into a good player so we really have to play him to find out.  Hopefully he can put it all together. 

On 11/1/2016 at 0:36 AM, RockThatBlue said:

Hes had a personal foul penalty in 3 or 4 straight games and every one of them have been killers. I get that hes a rookie and he still may end up a good player, but why keep playing a guy who makes that mistake at least once a game? 

Thoughts or am I wrong in feeling this way? I just feel he needs to be held accountable.

Good heavans no, he's a speed guy, didnt you see it early in the game? Remember when Smith chucked up a moon shot pass and it hung in the air for as long as a Ray Guy punt and Green was right there to make the tackle after the receiver caught it? I mean, c'mon this guys talent is second to none. :monkeydance:

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 0:36 AM, RockThatBlue said:

Hes had a personal foul penalty in 3 or 4 straight games and every one of them have been killers. I get that hes a rookie and he still may end up a good player, but why keep playing a guy who makes that mistake at least once a game? 

Thoughts or am I wrong in feeling this way? I just feel he needs to be held accountable.

I think you play rookies to develop them. All rookies make multiple mistakes every game.\

We knew when we got him that he needed experience. WE all talked about how  his coverage skills were less than outstanding.

He's a very good athlete.....I want him to play

Definitely not. He was billed as a project going into the season anyways, and he's been forced into starting. I don't doubt that he's giving maximum effort, so benching him for mistakes that should be expected in the first place seems backwards to me. Let him take his lumps and gain some experience.

The penalties are really frustrating though, but it's also nothing new with this team, he fits right in!

When you understand what's happening around you, see tendencies from film study, use knowledge & experience to put yourself in good positions, mistakes will be few. Until he gets there, he's using speed, energy & effort. I can live with that from a rookie.

Does he have the 'head' for all of the game nuances and capacity be in command of a defensive secondary is the bigger question for both he and Geathers. Mike Adams gets people in right positions, makes the shifts, points out the tendencies now. Who fills that gaping hole when Mike hangs up is cleats? Leave him in, he has much to learn.

1 hour ago, Douzer said:

Who fills that gaping hole when Mike hangs up is cleats? Leave him in, he has much to learn.

Someone else, I think, someone who isn't on the team yet. I think Geathers needs to come down to ILB and play the Deone Buchanon role. Thomas Davis is another guy who was a safety in college, but moved to ILB in the pros.

Then you can get a true free safety, a field general with great instincts. I kind of like Alabama's safety.

Nope, he's gotta play. painful as it is sometimes.  The rookies have to learn, the season is shot, so all we have to gain this year is for the rookies and 2nd year guys to get more experience which will help going forward.  EVERY team has to go through this at some point in time, a "growth period" if you will.  This appears to be happening to the Colts right now.  So settle down and settle in, it could be a while.

On 11/2/2016 at 8:28 AM, theanarchist said:

Good heavans no, he's a speed guy, didnt you see it early in the game? Remember when Smith chucked up a moon shot pass and it hung in the air for as long as a Ray Guy punt and Green was right there to make the tackle after the receiver caught it? I mean, c'mon this guys talent is second to none. :monkeydance:

If he had any deep coverage skills he could've easily picked that ball off.  He surely is a speed guy though.  I wouldn't mind seeing him matched up in man sometimes vs a TE to see if he can cover/recover better than Geathers in those situations.

No way I bench him though.  He just needs to stop launching at people with his head.  He's gonna hurt himself more than someone else in the long run.

On November 2, 2016 at 9:42 AM, oldunclemark said:

I think you play rookies to develop them. All rookies make multiple mistakes every game.\

We knew when we got him that he needed experience. WE all talked about how  his coverage skills were less than outstanding.

He's a very good athlete.....I want him to play

Well said. The kids need to play and learn. It's a painful process at times but with two young safeties it's going to take some extended game experience in order to see improvement. I think Green and Geathers can be a strong one two punch but expect continued growing pains and live with it. Long term it will prove to be a benefit. 

On 11/1/2016 at 1:43 AM, AZColt11 said:

I agree.  IF we had someone else waiting in the wings, sure.  But we don't.  He is part of our "growing pains" project, much like Kelly and Haeg and Dorsett.

It's getting to the point where we might have a better season if we actually sign the cast of Growing Pains...

We have had moderate success getting guys from Canada, if only we could stop Alan Thicke from singing the theme from "In the Thicke of the Night" on a continuous loop, we might have something. 

Our press conferences would be Epic... Just three hours of Paganoisms, hilariously bad singing, and Kirk Cameron going crazy about fake dinosaur bones and the "War on Christmas."

Has there ever been a sitcom with more psychopaths in the cast?  The dirt mustache kid was the only one without a full page picture in the DSM.

Somebody give Candace a tic tac, she looks a little faint... just hanging from Le'Veon Bell, flapping like a terrible towel. 

On 11/2/2016 at 9:11 PM, Superman said:

Someone else, I think, someone who isn't on the team yet. I think Geathers needs to come down to ILB and play the Deone Buchanon role. Thomas Davis is another guy who was a safety in college, but moved to ILB in the pros.

Then you can get a true free safety, a field general with great instincts. I kind of like Alabama's safety.

I think you're referring to Eddie Jackson

9 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think you're referring to Eddie Jackson

That's him. He just broke his leg so his recovery will be critical, and there's probably a good chance he doesn't work out prior to the draft. That could drop him, but Karl Joseph didn't drop so maybe not. I haven't watched a lot of film of Jackson, but I've seen him play plenty, and I think he's a more natural deep safety than anyone we have, and more of a rangy guy than the safeties Alabama usually sends up. He's also a good return man.

On 11/3/2016 at 11:11 AM, LJpalmbeacher said:

No.

We are a team that is not going anywhere anytime soon. He is a 2nd rd. pick with lots of athleticism who lacks game experiance at the pro and college level.

Ditto.

TJ is nowhere near the top of the Colts problems this year.

Let him play. 

15 hours ago, Superman said:

That's him. He just broke his leg so his recovery will be critical, and there's probably a good chance he doesn't work out prior to the draft. That could drop him, but Karl Joseph didn't drop so maybe not. I haven't watched a lot of film of Jackson, but I've seen him play plenty, and I think he's a more natural deep safety than anyone we have, and more of a rangy guy than the safeties Alabama usually sends up. He's also a good return man.

I agree. I feel like both Green and Geathers are box safeties. Green hasn't shown any coverage ability thus far. I'd be fine with either at LB tbh. But I don't think we have a true FS on this roster besides Adams.

On 11/1/2016 at 9:30 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

Pagano really isn't good at anything except being a nice guy. He's a talent killer. How many of our players have been consistently good under Pagano's tenure? In fact, how many rookies have had great back to back years with noticeable improvements under Pagano? I would Say Luck and Hilton, but Arians was the coach most of the first year they were on the team. So maybe Moncrief and Mewhort? I'm asking because so many of our players have good rookie years, then in their sophomore year, they fizzle out and regress. It seems too much of a coincidence for that to be on Grigson missing every time. This is a Pagano problem not developing his players and utilizing them properly to their strengths. 

This nailed it. We have nothing - nothing at all - upon which to evaluate the potential talent of existing players. Everyone seems terribly under-developed and under-performing.

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 0:52 PM, OffensivelyPC said:

Not at all.  He's going to need time, unfortunately.  He definitely did not have a good game Sunday, but he hasn't been all bad.

haven't talked to u in a while. I don't see how u can defend green as a safety. he has good speed ,but he gets broke in half if he get hits by a T.E.

54 minutes ago, jim scheurich said:

haven't talked to u in a while. I don't see how u can defend green as a safety. he has good speed ,but he gets broke in half if he get hits by a T.E.

But he has only pkayed half a season. i feel like people just expect dides to be all stars in their rookie season. he hasnt been great, but if hes ever going to stick around, he needs to play.

I thought Green played one of his best games today, he was hitting against the run, blitzing, and played well in coverage (could have had a pick too if it were not for Kerr).

Tbh, I don't think he is anything we did not expect. We knew he was very raw and had issues picking up in coverage, but he is a project player and I think he has showed so far this season he has the ability to make it at this level. What is very important is he gets the right coaching going forward, because there is still a lot of work to be done with him.

But I thought he was good today, as was Geathers, it's positive to see the two perform well without having Mike Adams experience back there with them.

11 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

Did he get it knocked off today?  I can't remember but if not it's a good start, baby steps I say, baby steps!

I don't think he did. 

I must say he for the most part played a decent game today. Still got lost a few times in coverage, but he did pretty well overall filling in for Adams. 

10 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

I don't think he did. 

I must say he for the most part played a decent game today. Still got lost a few times in coverage, but he did pretty well overall filling in for Adams. 

Yeah I'll tell you what, he's highly athletic that's for sure.  Hopefully he can make that big leap from this year to the next.

28 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

I thought Green played one of his best games today, he was hitting against the run, blitzing, and played well in coverage (could have had a pick too if it were not for Kerr).

Tbh, I don't think he is anything we did not expect. We knew he was very raw and had issues picking up in coverage, but he is a project player and I think he has showed so far this season he has the ability to make it at this level. What is very important is he gets the right coaching going forward, because there is still a lot of work to be done with him.

But I thought he was good today, as was Geathers, it's positive to see the two perform well without having Mike Adams experience back there with them.

He was getting abused by the TE to start the game  He may have made some plays but I wouldnt say this was a good game but not his worst either