Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Release Cromartie and Waive Moore

Caleb3502

I always thought Morrison would get his chance in the middle of the season, but I didn't think it would be because they cut all of his competition for the spot.   I still have hope that he unifies our defense and gives us a tougher identity.  Maybe I'm naive. 

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, jtrester said:

Crazy crazy thought...it would be a giant departure, but could this signal a change back to a 4-3 defense? With a healthy Art Jones, we have enough DT's...could jump start Robert Mathis...again highly doubt it, but it could be helpful.

I always wanted us to run a 3-4 and now I wish I had never seen it.   If you don't have the personel, it doesn't matter what you run. 

Good riddance to Sio Moore. 

I went back and watched the All 22.  Can't believe how terrible he was.  Missed tackles.  Poor angles.  Slow.  Inability to get off of blocks.  Poor field awareness and an inability to recognize what was happening around him. 

Morrison wasn't much better.  He's slow and he doesn't play instinctively,  which could potentially make up for his lack of speed.  It's going to be a long year watching him.  

37 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

yes  understand want him gone too....  My point is he wont be gone and hell # up the draft next yr anyway so lets make a trade and win now

If we are terrible he won't be here next year my whole point is I want us to have all our picks in case we get a new front office 

50 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

Well I certainly hope Robinson is better than I think he is otherwise we could be getting another loss this Sunday

Looking at the stats, Cromartie really didn't do very good at all. Allowed the most yards and most catches of anyone on the team

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Looking at the stats, Cromartie really didn't do very good at all. Allowed the most yards and most catches of anyone on the team

But to be fair that is what happens when you line up opposite of Vontae

He played well as the #1 CB when Davis was out....  of course they were throwing to the other side of the field then too

5 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

What happens with Cromartie's $3M now? 

Good question. I'm assuming he had a salary split in his contract, because typically a veteran contract is fully guaranteed if he's on the roster for Week 1. Unless there's a split. 

He had a $250k signing bonus, that's gone. He also had a $750k roster bonus, probably a per game bonus, so that's another $188k gone. Then the $2m base salary, if it's not fully guaranteed, is prorated to $471k. So he might have only hit for $909k. Worst case is $2.438m, I think.

1 hour ago, Somewhere ovr the Waynebow said:

Good riddance to Sio Moore. 

I went back and watched the All 22.  Can't believe how terrible he was.  Missed tackles.  Poor angles.  Slow.  Inability to get off of blocks.  Poor field awareness and an inability to recognize what was happening around him. 

I was excited when we traded for him. I thought he'd be a good add, and I expected him to play well. He had some moments in a couple games, but for the most part he played poorly. I said a couple weeks ago he was losing me, and he didn't get any better. Could've benched him and put him on ST coverage, but oh well... 

I think he represents a huge missed opportunity. Not worried about the pick (maybe we could have drafted Daniel Lasco...), but I thought he'd be much better.

Know that a 6th is not that big of a deal, but this makes another player traded for a draft pick gone and another FA miss. Wish we would have brought back Irving instead of elevating Bates.

Glad both were given the door though, we won't be missing a lot.

Sio Moore was horrendous and deserved to be cut. EDWIN JACKSON on the other hand is very athletic and stood out clearly in preseason. I think he's earned a shot at ILB and that's where they might be headed. Bates then would be brought up to take the role EJ had on Special Teams.

1 minute ago, Douzer said:

Sio Moore was horrendous and deserved to be cut. EDWIN JACKSON on the other hand is very athletic and stood out clearly in preseason. I think he's earned a shot at ILB and that's were they might be headed. Bates would be brought up to take the role EJ had on Special Teams.

Jackson over bates to play behind Morrison and McNary? 

1 minute ago, AustinnKaine said:

Jackson over bates to play behind Morrison and McNary? 

Ed Jackson moves sideline to sideline faster than either of those two. He's young and raw, but has notable athletic ability. I really wanted to see him make the roster, and he did. Since then, I've really wanted to see play again. Perhaps they think he's ready and that's why they punted Moore.

4 hours ago, LockeDown said:

I always thought Morrison would get his chance in the middle of the season, but I didn't think it would be because they cut all of his competition for the spot.   I still have hope that he unifies our defense and gives us a tougher identity.  Maybe I'm naive. 

They need to find a way to cut the cement blocks he has tied to his feet first. I thought Rob Morris was slow.... 

4 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

And they play in a much tougher division. Things get a little rough in the next few weeks for Houston... At Minnesota, home vs the Colts, then at Denver. If they go 0-3 in that stretch, and we manage 3-0 (CHI, HOU, TEN), we're in business. That is a VERY big if though.

Oh I agree it will be tough. But our record right now is still better than the Chiefs of last year and they turned it around. It won't be easy but you never know. Get a few W's in a row and it would build confidence that we sorely need.

10 hours ago, Superman said:

I was excited when we traded for him. I thought he'd be a good add, and I expected him to play well. He had some moments in a couple games, but for the most part he played poorly. I said a couple weeks ago he was losing me, and he didn't get any better. Could've benched him and put him on ST coverage, but oh well... 

I think he represents a huge missed opportunity. Not worried about the pick (maybe we could have drafted Daniel Lasco...), but I thought he'd be much better.

I really thought that when we acquired him,  he was one of our best linebackers.  At least the most athletic.  I don't understand what happened to that athleticism and why he became so slow.  Maybe the staff had him  put on weight.  Don't know,  but like you said,  huge missed opportunity.  

10 hours ago, Superman said:

what part of the Pierre Andre Garçon game did you miss?

Cromarte had to go...ty.  I was hopefull when we signed him, but he has obviously gotten slower and has turned to grabbing people when he gets burned.

Moore i also had hope for, (many of us did). but glad he is gone also.

I see Morrison in during 1st, 2nd downs..and Jackson/McNary during 3rd and distances.  This IS what worked during preseason and these past couple games.  

Now that we are getting people back healthy, I fully expect better play.  The health of our front line will help the young guys on the LB corps.  And Davis/Robinson/Butler is what we had When the preseason started and was happier about that than the last couple years.

Glad we have Geathers and Green to work with in the back end also.  Thier pressence during different packages should also help out.

Just now, richard pallo said:

Not rational moves?  Really.   I disagree.  Those moves just made us a better team.

Releasing starters after 4 weeks is not normally a rational move.  Benching the players first would be more rational.  And if these moves  make us a better team, then thats bad coaching and a bad front office for having those players in here and believing they were good enough to not only make the team but to start for 4 weeks.

2 minutes ago, indy1888 said:

Releasing starters after 4 weeks is not normally a rational move.  Benching the players first would be more rational.  And if these moves  make us a better team, then thats bad coaching and a bad front office for having those players in here and believing they were good enough to not only make the team but to start for 4 weeks.

When you think about it Cromartie was a veteran pick up off the street to try and help a depleted secondary. If Butler was healthy last week he wouldn't have started.  He was an experienced short term fix.  Not a legitimate starter in this league anymore. Technically he started by necessity but the writing was on the wall.  Moore is nothing more than a rotational backup lb.  He failed at his opportunity to be a starter.  Players all earn their opportunity.  It's up to them to take it and hold it. They recognized that, called up a promising linebacker they drafted and decided to move on.  Teams do it all the time.  All teams make changes during the season.  Teams bench and cut players all the time.  I don't see panic I see recognizing changes are necessary and making them. 

18 hours ago, MTC said:

Colts are throwing in the towel. 

Jettison the old... in with the new.  Irsay demands a younger roster.  Give the kids reps and experience, and draft better ones if they just aren't good enough.

Taking other teams backup cast off's wasn't working.

17 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

I didn't think Cromartie played that poorly in the first 3 weeks but he was awful Sunday. 

Sio Moore was awful all season so good thing he's gone. McNary and Morrison have not been any better in coverage so I don't know how we will fix that.

If Geathers, Butler, and Green all get healthy then we go with Nickel (3 CB's) or Big Nickel (3 safety's) 50 - 55% of the time.  That is the trend these days.

I wish we also had a disrupter inside on the D-line and an athletic edge rush outside... oh well.

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

When you think about it Cromartie was a veteran pick up off the street to try and help a depleted secondary. If Butler was healthy last week he wouldn't have started.  He was an experienced short term fix.  Not a legitimate starter in this league anymore. Technically he started by necessity but the writing was on the wall.  Moore is nothing more than a rotational backup lb.  He failed at his opportunity to be a starter.  Players all earn their opportunity.  It's up to them to take it and hold it. They recognized that, called up a promising linebacker they drafted and decided to move on.  Teams do it all the time.  All teams make changes during the season.  Teams bench and cut players all the time.  I don't see panic I see recognizing changes are necessary and making them. 

Agree to disagree.  I see it as the team looking at these 2 guys as being the easiest to get rid of in order to make a point to the rest of the team because the seat is getting hot.  Cromartie had one bad game last week, but other then that was servicable. They couldn't have used him for some depth?  A release to me is a panic move made to provide a message to the rest of the team. I see a lot of places on this team where changes are necessary but i bet they aren't made.  I fail to see how a guy just called up from the practice squad makes them a better team.  I'm going to have to see him in game action before i can make that claim.

16 hours ago, Coltscrazy said:

You read my mind. He really produced last year, and he didn't cost much.  He and Langford would have been more than stout.  Anderson would have to outplay him to get his spot back, and then Winn would be a really nice priced backup.

You are not taking into account the talent around him and the ability for the DEN defensive staff to coach guys up.  One of my most repeated posts is how Pagano has not coached up any part of this defense since he's been here.  We have had literally 0 "overachievers" on D based on their draft position.

19 hours ago, MTC said:

Colts are throwing in the towel. 

Yeah, they wanted to save a chunk of that 3 million...and why does anyone think Oakland sohappily gave up Moore...he sucked.... And Cromartie is a disrespectful punk, good riddance dirt bag...

21 hours ago, jtrester said:

Crazy crazy thought...it would be a giant departure, but could this signal a change back to a 4-3 defense? With a healthy Art Jones, we have enough DT's...could jump start Robert Mathis...again highly doubt it, but it could be helpful.

Maybe we see more of Maggit

Well we cut players that are not performing yet Grigson doesn't have a single player on the squad that can replace them!  Yes it's right to cut ties with bad players but then have a plan Grigson.  lol Grigson is probably gonna go get Werner back to play DB.  I wouldn't be surprised I mean he drafted Werner who was a clear 4-3 player to play in a 3-4 system so why not Grigson go get Werner to be your all pro DB we needed opposite of Davis!