Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Release Cromartie and Waive Moore

Caleb3502

21 hours ago, csmopar said:

He missed far more than he made 

He was probably stoned during the game.  Don't know this, but stuff like that usually contributes to talented players strangely not being able to perform...or getting cutting cut from several teams.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, indy1888 said:

Agree to disagree.  I see it as the team looking at these 2 guys as being the easiest to get rid of in order to make a point to the rest of the team because the seat is getting hot.  Cromartie had one bad game last week, but other then that was servicable. They couldn't have used him for some depth?  A release to me is a panic move made to provide a message to the rest of the team. I see a lot of places on this team where changes are necessary but i bet they aren't made.  I fail to see how a guy just called up from the practice squad makes them a better team.  I'm going to have to see him in game action before i can make that claim.

Cromartie was benched in the second half and clearly can't play anymore..

21 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

After watching Denver on Sunday, I'm still trying to figure out why we got rid of Billy Winn.

I think it might be a situation where the coaches are actually over thinking.  They have their idea of situational packages, situational rotations, and they just saw Winn as a square peg not fitting into any of their coach created solutions much of the time......instead of looking at him as a good football player.

Just now, tfunky14 said:

Cromartie was benched in the second half and clearly can't play anymore..

Yet he was handed a 3 millon dollar contract by the GM. If he can't play then what was Grigson doing? Had to be others out there who "couldn't play" and would do it for cheaper then that.

And Cromartie was at least servicable the previous 3 weeks, he was terrible last week however.

19 hours ago, LockeDown said:

I always wanted us to run a 3-4 and now I wish I had never seen it.   If you don't have the personel, it doesn't matter what you run. 

OT here, but the structure of the roster is starting to appear much like the years Polian had.  Expensive QB and weapons, but a defense that lacks the players it needs.

The Tampa 2 that Dungy ran needed a stud UT, like Warren Sapp, and a stud Safety, like John Lynch, and a Will, like (name escapes me).  It didn't really rely upon other LBs or CBs.  The Polian version never did find an UT, and Sanders was only good part time, and the Will's he had were never really probowlers. 

The 34 needs a stud OLB, and very good LBs throughout, as well as CBs.  So far, Grigson has yet to find the OLB (he's not been able to draft high enough, frankly).  He has found a CB, but the other LBs have been neglected. 

15 minutes ago, indy1888 said:

Yet he was handed a 3 millon dollar contract by the GM. If he can't play then what was Grigson doing? Had to be others out there who "couldn't play" and would do it for cheaper then that.

And Cromartie was at least servicable the previous 3 weeks, he was terrible last week however.

I never thought Cromartie would make it past the bye week. He was a desperation signing due to an insane amount of injuries to the secondary. I agree that the contract was a pretty rich for such a short stint with the team, but they didn't really have many options at the time.

2 hours ago, indy1888 said:

Cromartie was not good the last 3 weeks. Hind-sight is always 20/20...

19 hours ago, Superman said:

Good question. I'm assuming he had a salary split in his contract, because typically a veteran contract is fully guaranteed if he's on the roster for Week 1. Unless there's a split. 

He had a $250k signing bonus, that's gone. He also had a $750k roster bonus, probably a per game bonus, so that's another $188k gone. Then the $2m base salary, if it's not fully guaranteed, is prorated to $471k. So he might have only hit for $909k. Worst case is $2.438m, I think.

So, child support for 2016-2018. That's nice.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

The Tampa 2 that Dungy ran needed a stud UT, like Warren Sapp, and a stud Safety, like John Lynch, and a Will, like (name escapes me).  It didn't really rely upon other LBs or CBs.

Derrick Brooks is the guy you're thinking of.  They also had (at peak level) Ronde Barber CB, Shelton Quarles at Mike, and Simeon Rice at DE to Go with Sapp and Lynch.

Booger McFarland started 10 games at NT for the Bucs in 2002 as an interesting side note; getting Super Bowl ring 1, then we traded for him in 2006 (after the Corey Simon, Monte Reagor mishaps) where he got SB Ring #2 and his career ended soon after.  Now he's talk radio host on Opening Drive Show with Ross Tucker SiriusXM NFL radio.

Polian said Manning and the skill O took up the much money, so he and Tony drafted small fast swarming guys and ran a Tampa 2, because Big-Fast guys were already gone by their draft slot, and Big-Slow guys didn't fit the Defensive scheme, or any one they wanted to run at that time.

I'm pretty sure Polian thought Corey Simon was to be our Sapp, to join Freeney, Mathis, Cato June, and Bob Sanders.  Wasn't to be, but Booger filled in well enough to help secure our Super Bowl win though...

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

He was probably stoned during the game.  Don't know this, but stuff like that usually contributes to talented players strangely not being able to perform...or getting cutting cut from several teams.

Or hung over. I've heard rumors of a party Saturday night in London that some players were rumored to have attended. This ramblings so I don't put much credit to them. But if that wete true, would explain some things

13 hours ago, Somewhere ovr the Waynebow said:

I really thought that when we acquired him,  he was one of our best linebackers.  At least the most athletic.  I don't understand what happened to that athleticism and why he became so slow.  Maybe the staff had him  put on weight.  Don't know,  but like you said,  huge missed opportunity.  

He had the hip injury, that might have something to do with it.

I don't think he looked slow, he was definitely slow to react, didn't change directions well, had dreadful awareness, missed a bunch of tackles, and got beat in coverage. I guess all that can make you look slow, but I didn't think his problem was speed. 

I watched him as a Raider. Still didn't play with great awareness, but his talent flashed. He was obviously not putting in the work in Oakland, and probably didn't as a Colt. 

13 hours ago, csmopar said:

Or hung over. I've heard rumors of a party Saturday night in London that some players were rumored to have attended. This ramblings so I don't put much credit to them. But if that wete true, would explain some things

Yeah, I figured the cuts here and problems at Oakland had more to do with professionalism than ability.  No employee should be allowed to show up for work hung over or drunk. 

Especially considering that NFL players have 16 work days per year, you'd think it would be easy to have enough discipline to not party the 16 nights of the year before games.  Apparently not.

14 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Derrick Brooks is the guy you're thinking of.  They also had (at peak level) Ronde Barber CB, Shelton Quarles at Mike, and Simeon Rice at DE to Go with Sapp and Lynch.

Booger McFarland started 10 games at NT for the Bucs in 2002 as an interesting side note; getting Super Bowl ring 1, then we traded for him in 2006 (after the Corey Simon, Monte Reagor mishaps) where he got SB Ring #2 and his career ended soon after.  Now he's talk radio host on Opening Drive Show with Ross Tucker SiriusXM NFL radio.

Polian said Manning and the skill O took up the much money, so he and Tony drafted small fast swarming guys and ran a Tampa 2, because Big-Fast guys were already gone by their draft slot, and Big-Slow guys didn't fit the Defensive scheme, or any one they wanted to run at that time.

I'm pretty sure Polian thought Corey Simon was to be our Sapp, to join Freeney, Mathis, Cato June, and Bob Sanders.  Wasn't to be, but Booger filled in well enough to help secure our Super Bowl win though...

Yes.  People give Polian a bad rep for having average defenses.  The NFL has structured the cap and draft so that teams do not have unlimited resources with which to build a team.  GMs have to make choices.

Whenever you draft a QB #1 and choose to pay him #1 money for the rest of his career, it limits the ability to find other players to balance the team.  That's simple reality.  A GM will need to consistently get probowl or first round play from guys they draft in the mid rounds.  That's really hard to do. 

What it means is that the #1 QB needs to play like a #1 $100 million guy.....and Manning did that.

Cromartie was always a stop gap here until the secondary healed.  Moore was probably the more disappointing acquisition.  But if he was to always struggle with unprofessionalism, then I can see wanting to get Morrison more playing time as well as sending the message to the rest of the team, and even potential players on other teams or colleges.

9 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

This makes me want to vomit........

0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

More

His ineptitude made we want to punch him.  His nonchalant effort made me want to knock him out.  That guy should be DONE in this league.

1 hour ago, BrentMc11 said:

His ineptitude made we want to punch him.  His nonchalant effort made me want to knock him out.  That guy should be DONE in this league.

I understand that but it was the Colts who signed him in a time of dire need.

I have a feeling you are correct in him being done in the NFL.

On 10/4/2016 at 1:27 PM, EvansvilleBlue said:

Could it be related to poor attitudes? They were bubble players already so if they were being disruptive in the locker room it might have pushed them out.

4 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Ran across an interesting article today about Cro-

http://hypeline.org/colts-release-cromartie-two-days-after-taking-a-knee-during-the-national-anthem/

giphy.gif

I saw the same article and wondered the same thing.

I think his play was more than enough to merit him being released.  I am kind of interested to see now that this is out on the media if Cro will try to make a case against the organization for racial profiling or something.  I imagine the Colts' brass have actually discussed this issue, as it could potentially be a major headache for them.  I also firmly believe his play was bad enough to warrant his being let go.

It is interesting though that he has been the only BLM protester on the Colts and has been released amidst the defensive meltdown/injury plague that's going on. 

Pagano has said that the Colts' players have the right to choose what they do, but I've also read elsewhere that the players had been strongly encouraged not to protest and that they have/had a plan in place to enter the field accompanied by first-responders.

10 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I saw the same article and wondered the same thing.

I think his play was more than enough to merit him being released.  I am kind of interested to see now that this is out on the media if Cro will try to make a case against the organization for racial profiling or something.  I imagine the Colts' brass have actually discussed this issue, as it could potentially be a major headache for them.  I also firmly believe his play was bad enough to warrant his being let go.

It is interesting though that he has been the only BLM protester on the Colts and has been released amidst the defensive meltdown/injury plague that's going on. 

Pagano has said that the Colts' players have the right to choose what they do, but I've also read elsewhere that the players had been strongly encouraged not to protest and that they have/had a plan in place to enter the field accompanied by first-responders.

Hmmm, so what you're saying is that an incompetent person can save his job or collect money by protesting something and calling it oppression.   Interesting strategy.

Now I understand why there are so many protests about different things.

12 hours ago, Derakynn said:

He was released because of his garbage play. Not his protesting. The team is literally not affected at all by the protesting. 

Not a fact. He could be a locker room cancer as well. 

This whole protesting thing is absolutely ridiculous anyways. If someone hates being in America, they can pack up and leave just like that. That's the beauty of this country. Some places won't even let you do that. 

12 hours ago, Derakynn said:

He was released because of his garbage play. Not his protesting. The team is literally not affected at all by the protesting. 

Garbage play typically gets you riding on the bench, not an outright release with millions in hand.

Doing this-

britain-colts-jaguars-football-9f2445629

during the Star Spangled Banner, then rising to your feet when they play God Save the Queen...

coupled with mentioned garbage play...  Hmmm...

Spotrac says Cro got $2 million base salary, $250,000 signing bonus, $750,000 roster bonus and it is all a $3 million dollar cap hit for us in 2016.  Thank you very little Mr. Cromartie.

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

Hmmm, so what you're saying is that an incompetent person can save his job or collect money by protesting something and calling it oppression.   Interesting strategy.

Now I understand why there are so many protests about different things.

Yes, this is 2016 in America... everyone else in the world is to blame for one's own incompetence.

I am not saying that is why people are protesting, etc.... but after these types of articles get released on the internet, Cromartie could probably get a lot of jersey sales and give the Colts a unwarranted black eye if he pursued it and the media picked it up.

6 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Mike Chappell probably knows what he's talking about. 

Like how he reported that Hilton's contract was guaranteed for $39m? The media in general don't report contract details accurately.

Chappell is probably right about this, like I said, but there could easily be a salary split in Cromartie's contract. It's something that's generally NOT reported, as a matter of fact.

5 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Doing this-

britain-colts-jaguars-football-9f2445629

during the Star Spangled Banner, then rising to your feet when they play God Save the Queen...

coupled with mentioned garbage play...  Hmmm...

Protesting something specific to America would have nothing to do with God Save the Queen.

Cromartie raised his fist during the Chargers game. Pagano said multiple times that the players have the right to choose. I'm gonna put all my chips on Cromartie's release having NOTHING to do with his protest.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Like how he reported that Hilton's contract was guaranteed for $39m? The media in general don't report contract details accurately.

Chappell is probably right about this, like I said, but there could easily be a salary split in Cromartie's contract. It's something that's generally NOT reported, as a matter of fact.

Right on.

If I was the guy that paid someone $2.25M for four games......I wouldn't want that info reported either. 

....as a long time Colts fan, I have to say that this team is reaching new lows this year. First, the fans, who always gave Pep Hamilton a hard time, even after three straight 11-5 records, helped the front office get rid of him to bring in this new, obvious downgrade to the Offensive coaching staff, an easily identified instance of  pure racism. Now, the front office keeps the ball rolling by getting rid of the only black player to join the Colin Kapernick first amendment right to criticize this racist country protest gesture, a country that in protesting his right to protest.... supports fascism, in practice. The Spiritual death of this organization is complete. 

Cromartie was a temp employee. He knew that when he signed his contract. He was released. It should not be such a surprise.

Sio Moore on the other hand was just clueless in his assignments and responsibilities. His recognition of plays, gap discipline and coverage were all tragic. He has more tenure, yet much less position strength than the rookies they have. He played his way off the team. Perhaps the Chiefs have a (much simpler) role for him in their system.

On 10/5/2016 at 8:36 PM, Superman said:

He had the hip injury, that might have something to do with it.

I don't think he looked slow, he was definitely slow to react, didn't change directions well, had dreadful awareness, missed a bunch of tackles, and got beat in coverage. I guess all that can make you look slow, but I didn't think his problem was speed. 

I watched him as a Raider. Still didn't play with great awareness, but his talent flashed. He was obviously not putting in the work in Oakland, and probably didn't as a Colt. 

It certainly doesn't reflect well on the coaching staff.  A young player who flashed didn't see the field for the first year and played poorly when he finally got on the field.  Then again,  he has a reputation for being a knucklehead so maybe the failure is on him.