Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What EXACTLY is Chuck's "specialty" as hc?

bluephantom87

Is he an X's and O's type of guy? Does he develop players or MAXIMIZE talent at hand? Is he good at exploiting other teams' weaknesses? Does his game plan change from week to week depending on opponent or personnel? Is he good at making halftime adjustments? (not counting putting the ball in Luck's hands out of necessity because the team is down 17 pts on a REGULAR basis now) Is he some type of INNOVATOR on the defensive side of the ball? The MAIN thing I hear about Chuck is that the players love him. Ok

As I watched the Pats go into Arizona WITHOUT their TOP TWO offensive players (if not in the nfl at their positions), 2 rookie guards, a backup T and missing their star lb along with some front line guys on defense against a SB contender with a top 5 defense and a highly rated offense. I hear the excuses about our secondary yada yada BUT I also saw the d-line get gashed by a team that finished dead last in rushing last year with the SAME players and a very questionable o-line coming in. I saw lbs out of position, POOR tackling, ABSOLUTELY NO pass rush, missed assignments and PRO defense that in general looked unprepared. I don't think hiring ANOTHER 1st timer (dc this time) was the answer simply because he was Chuck's buddy. Greg was released because Chuck said they wanted to be more aggressive on defense YET as a former dc for 1 season with the Ravens Chuck just stood back and watched the vanilla calls? Especially knowing the fact that Manusky had been fired a few of times as dc PRIOR to the Colts for that VERY reason!!

Was the Ravens defense good because of Chuck? Did he bring something new as dc for 1 season on a top defense filled with stars on auto pilot. Look at some of the names... Ray Lewis, Suggs, Ed Reed, Haloti Ngata, Bernard Pollard, Redding, Art Jones and Paul Kruger to name a few. I've seen great coaches get the best out of no name defenses by using schemes to highlight whatever talent they have to be at least be solid.  

He's not a great head coach, but Grigson is by far the bigger problem.  Outside the QB and a skilled player or two, this roster is in the running for worst in the league.

That said, Chuck does seem to have a good deal of input on certain players we bring in.  He loved Werner and Richardson, as I recall.  Morrison seems to be the latest in the line of Chuck players.  We'll see how that goes.  

12 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

Is he an X's and O's type of guy? Does he develop players or MAXIMIZE talent at hand? Is he good at exploiting other teams' weaknesses? Does his game plan change from week to week depending on opponent or personnel? Is he good at making halftime adjustments? (not counting putting the ball in Luck's hands out of necessity because the team is down 17 pts on a REGULAR basis now) Is he some type of INNOVATOR on the defensive side of the ball? The MAIN thing I hear about Chuck is that the players love him. Ok

As I watched the Pats go into Arizona WITHOUT their TOP TWO offensive players (if not in the nfl at their positions), 2 rookie guards, a backup T and missing their star lb along with some front line guys on defense against a SB contender with a top 5 defense and a highly rated offense. I hear the excuses about our secondary yada yada BUT I also saw the d-line get gashed by a team that finished dead last in rushing last year with the SAME players and a very questionable o-line coming in. I saw lbs out of position, POOR tackling, ABSOLUTELY NO pass rush, missed assignments and PRO defense that in general looked unprepared. I don't think hiring ANOTHER 1st timer (dc this time) was the answer simply because he was Chuck's buddy. Greg was released because Chuck said they wanted to be more aggressive on defense YET as a former dc for 1 season with the Ravens Chuck just stood back and watched the vanilla calls? Especially knowing the fact that Manusky had been fired a few of times as dc PRIOR to the Colts for that VERY reason!!

Was the Ravens defense good because of Chuck? Did he bring something new as dc for 1 season on a top defense filled with stars on auto pilot. Look at some of the names... Ray Lewis, Suggs, Ed Reed, Haloti Ngata, Bernard Pollard, Redding, Art Jones and Paul Kruger to name a few. I've seen great coaches get the best out of no name defenses by using schemes to highlight whatever talent they have to be at least be solid.  

I totally agree! He is a terrible game manager as in calling stupid time outs at the wrong time. 

11 minutes ago, #12. said:

He's not a great head coach, but Grigson is by far the bigger problem.  Outside the QB and a skilled player or two, this roster is in the running for worst in the league.

That said, Chuck does seem to have a good deal of input on certain players we bring in.  He loved Werner and Richardson, as I recall.  Morrison seems to be the latest in the line of Chuck players.  We'll see how that goes.  

Outside of RB I think we might be pretty close to having a good offense across the board.  OL looked decent against a good front, we have good WR, solid TE's and a great QB.

Defense on the other hand looks really bad on all levels. This next offseason, we need to invest cap space and high draft picks on getting new starters all across the defense. We have maybe 4 or 5 guys worth keeping on as starters.

While there is a lot of criticism aimed at Pagano, and some of it is justified, I'm going to try and answer this question seriously.

Pagano's specialty is his role in being able to lead.  I don't think he's great at X's and O's, nor is he a great innovator.  But he is able to get guys motivated to play for him.  You can also make a case that he's good at halftime adjustments, seeing as how we tend to have slow starts, but good finishes.  But I think his specialty is being able to get guys motivated to play for him.

15 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

While there is a lot of criticism aimed at Pagano, and some of it is justified, I'm going to try and answer this question seriously.

Pagano's specialty is his role in being able to lead.  I don't think he's great at X's and O's, nor is he a great innovator.  But he is able to get guys motivated to play for him.  You can also make a case that he's good at halftime adjustments, seeing as how we tend to have slow starts, but good finishes.  But I think his specialty is being able to get guys motivated to play for him.

It's probably time for you mods to start a everything Pagano thread.  These multiple threads on how bad Pagano is are ridiculous.

If the question is in response to yesterday's loss, I'm not sure how much of yesterday's defensive performance you can put on Chuck. I can't remember ever seeing such a patchwork defensive unit in any game I have watched the Colts play in the past, and I have been watching since 2000.

Now, if this is a serious question and not a question masking complaint, as others have said Chuck is certainly more of a leader/motivator than he is a great x and o guy (or clock manager). He generally gets great effort out of his players. He is also heralded as a DB wizard, and he certainly has helped Vontae Davis become a star, although outside of him, I haven't seen this latter praise in effect, but I don't know much about his work with the Ravens.

We can say whatever we want about the coaching but all they can do is give the players the information they need to go out and win. It comes down to execution. Chuck knew what they had to do this week. The Lions run a dink and dunk offense and you have to limit the yards by making sound tackles and keeping plays in front of the defense. 

It is not Chucks fault that professional football players somehow forget that tackling is a part of the game. A few tackles could have really won the game for us.

6 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

Pagano = Herm Edwards 

I'd kill for a Herm Edwards dedense right now.  Herm would be a significant upgrade over Pagano.  Guy won with Chad Pennington for crying out loud.  You owe Herm an apology.  

As for the topic,  Clapping and post game speeches.  

6 minutes ago, YourNextGM said:

I'd kill for a Herm Edwards dedense right now.  Herm would be a significant upgrade over Pagano.  Guy won with Chad Pennington for crying out loud.  You owe Herm an apology.  

As for the topic,  Clapping and post game speeches.  

You mean the Herm Edwards who single handedly ruined that great Chiefs offense and turned them into a sorry team and then got fired?  Yeah lets hire that guy!  Are you sure you want to be "Your Next GM"?  Doesn't sound like sound decision making there guy.

Herm Edwards Coaching Record:

Head coaching record
Regular season: 54–74
Postseason: 2–4
Career:

56–78

7 hours ago, JColts72 said:

Chuck Caldwell and Grigs are man loved by Jimmy who went with his heart on keeping them. This is what to expect so what's the point of saying they both stink. We know that as fans for a few years now.

More like Chuck Dowhower

7 hours ago, #12. said:

I agree grigs is the problem with the lack of talent

1 hour ago, krunk said:

You mean the Herm Edwards who single handedly ruined that great Chiefs offense and turned them into a sorry team and then got fired?  Yeah lets hire that guy!  Are you sure you want to be "Your Next GM"?  Doesn't sound like sound decision making there guy.

Herm Edwards Coaching Record:

Head coaching record
Regular season: 54–74
Postseason: 2–4
Career:

56–78

Who was his quarterbacks in KC? He wasnt lucky enough to have Luck or a qb of that caliber.  

According to him, the team loaded with flaming bowling balls filled with robotic death bees wielding samurai swords but yet it's just so hard to get a win in the NFL, just 100% impossible to win in todays game.  This team is just so tough and resilient, especially while consistently spotting teams 20+ point leads, just getting back into the game and making it fun to watch in the 2nd half shows the true potential of the team but yet there's absolutely no way to stop the slow starts, absolutely not.

7 hours ago, Myles said:

This.

They are both loved by the players because there is no pressure.   Easy practices.   No butt chewing when you do something wrong.   Lots of poor coaching.  

Herm had no problem jumping on a player or players for not playing well

8 minutes ago, Mr_486lo said:

Had high hopes for the team this year, but it seems like this may be a pattern (the way we START and LOSE games). Slow starts on offense and way to much pressure on the defense equals L's all season.

~High Draft Pick Anyone?

Too much pressure on the defense?  They stunk from the second they took the field.

Pagano is the HC because he's a leader of men.      He gets his players to play hard for him.    They don't quit.

I realize last season is ancient history for some of you,  but the Colts went 8-8 without having Luck for 9 games.   And they made do with 5 different quarterbacks.      And the roster wasn't all that talented,  so Pagano must've done something right.

He may not be a great coach,  but he's a good coach,  and he's proven it every year he's been with the team.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You have been here a lot longer than me and I already even knew threads like this were coming after losing to the Lions. What did you expect LOL.

I may be 59 years old,  but I get being a frustrated fan.    I get seeing our defense being unable to protect a lead with just 37 seconds to go.     I get being angry.

But sometimes some of these threads spin wildly out of control and people say things that are just so silly,  so easy to disprove.     A bunch of us said prior to the game that our defense was very suspect with all our injuries.   That our games are likely to be shootouts until we get healthy.     We have to hope we end up on the right side of these shootouts.

I'd like to see the fans wait a little while longer before having a meltdown after the first game of the season.......

Just saying.....              :peek:

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I may be 59 years old,  but I get being a frustrated fan.    I get seeing our defense being unable to protect a lead with just 37 seconds to go.     I get being angry.

But sometimes some of these threads spin wildly out of control and people say things that are just so silly,  so easy to disprove.     A bunch of us said prior to the game that our defense was very suspect with all our injuries.   That our games are likely to be shootouts until we get healthy.     We have to hope we end up on the right side of these shootouts.

I'd like to see the fans wait a little while longer before having a meltdown after the first game of the season.......

Just saying.....              :peek:

I agree with you but some in here are so negative, threads like this will happen. I get pee'd off as well at some of the negativity as IMO it is stupid but no matter how much you preach positivity it wont change the minds of the negative people. I am pretty disappointed in our loss to the Lions but I honestly think we can upset the Broncos as we have owned them. They are a team that doesn't usually score a lot of points either. If we can crack 24 we will win. Their QB is unproven and will turn it over at least once if not twice even against our D. The Lions aren't that good but Stafford has always been capable of putting up huge points, we lost a shoot out basically.