Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Howard Mudd tweet about Joe Haeg

RockThatBlue

6 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Howard Mudd definitely knows what a good lineman is like. If he likes Haeg then we all should.

I agree... that guy literally has forgotten more line related football than most anyone else will ever know.  

11 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

If he is then what do we do with Clark?? If he's also good

I don't know but this is a nice problem to have lol. We look like we might have some quality depth across the o line for once. It shouldn't have taken Grigson 5 years to do it, but better late than never I suppose.

Howard Mudd tweets?! Where have I been?

This is like when I found out about Facebook, made a profile and found out that my grandma and 3 great-aunts were already on it. 

Glad to hear him praise Haeg... I really think that we are looking at one of the best O-Lines in football for 2017+ if Haeg can play guard at the level Mewhort is. I'm extremely excited about Clark's future at OT, as well. 

AC-Mewhort-Kelly-Haeg-Clark

Reitz/Good/Blythe as the main backups....

Could be special if the rookies are as good as some think they can be. 

I am looking forward to seeing Haeg this preseason.  Howard likes Haeg and Robert likes Bates. Two rookies to keep an eye on .  I wouldn't underestimate Good though.  I think he could be our version of K. Osemele.  Not drafted high but became a force on the line and cashed in big last year in FA. 

2 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

If he is then what do we do with Clark?? If he's also good

Worst case scenario is he plays RG. It's not like he'd be bad it. Most people just felt like because of his crazy arm length, he'd be best utilized outside. But if Haeg is better than its best to go that route. Or maybe Haeg moves inside.

6 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

I like hearing this from our old coach it just reaffirms that as much as some like to dog Grigson he actually can find players that can come in & make a difference our O-line has sucked for awhile & he had a good draft maybe he did'nt make everyone happy especially those talking about RB's he has made good steps in the right direction to protect the franchise & hopefully get the running game on track .

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Colts-Draft-North-Dakota-State-Offensive-Tackle-Joe-Haeg-In-Round-Five/c9510ae1-df16-46a5-9a56-c33026c9928c

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Worst case scenario is he plays RG. It's not like he'd be bad it. Most people just felt like because of his crazy arm length, he'd be best utilized outside. But if Haeg is better than its best to go that route. Or maybe Haeg moves inside.

Isn't it awesome just being able to say this. :) Barring a rash of injuries, we may shake out to have some quality depth. Nice also to say " coach em' up", and have coaches in-place to actually do so. Good/Great coaching has me as excited as any other aspect of the upcoming season. Could be that extra nudge to get Colts Nation that next Lombardi. JMO

I'm still thinking for at least this season Haeg will be more of the swing player like Reitz used to be.  That's why we've seen him practicing at both tackles and the inside guards.  He's the swing guy for those positions. 

10 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Howard Mudd definitely knows what a good lineman is like. If he likes Haeg then we all should.

Agreed. Haeg is a really good prospect. Maybe not as much upside as a tackle as Clark, but more pro ready right now, and more versatile.

I am just glad we can have some depth at the o-line positions. That's been one of the problems over the last couple of years. The talent level from the starters to the next level was a big gap. Whenever we got an injury anywhere across the line it showed. Just protecting Luck and getting a decent running game would improve the offense a bunch. Having the ability to control the ball would be a relief not only for the offense but for the defense as well.

7 hours ago, Superman said:

Agreed. Haeg is a really good prospect. Maybe not as much upside as a tackle as Clark, but more pro ready right now, and more versatile.

If he's that pro ready then he should start at RG immediately. We have RT covered.

14 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

If he's that pro ready then he should start at RG immediately. We have RT covered.

More pro ready doesn't actually mean pro ready. Its more of an indictment of how far Clark is from being pro ready. Haeg isn't quite pro ready just yet. Next year he probably gets his shot

29 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Good and Thornton are far ahead of Haeg.    

Isn't Thorton on thin ice though? Too many injuries and subpar play when he is healthy. Unless they really feel losing 20 pounds, playing more zone, and the addition of Ryan Kelly is going to lead to a breakout year for him.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Isn't Thorton on thin ice though? Too many injuries and subpar play when he is healthy. Unless they really feel losing 20 pounds, playing more zone, and the addition of Ryan Kelly is going to lead to a breakout year for him.

I don't know if Thornton is on thin ice or not.     I hope if Good wins the starting RG job,  that Thornton is kept as the back-up.       I'll be disappointed if he's not kept on the roster.

I think Thornton is a guy who can take his game to another level with Philbin......

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't know if Thornton is on thin ice or not.     I hope if Good wins the starting RG job,  that Thornton is kept as the back-up.       I'll be disappointed if he's not kept on the roster.

I think Thornton is a guy who can take his game to another level with Philbin......

I hope so. Every year since 2013 we've heard about how some factor is supposed to help Thorton improve. In 2014 it was him moving back to his natural RG spot. 2015 it was him having 2 years experience. Now in 2016 it's the addition of Philbin and weight loss that's supposed to help. Sounds a lot like Werner to me. But I really hope this is his year.

On 8/6/2016 at 8:17 PM, Carlos Danger said:

AC-Mewhort-Kelly-Haeg-Clark

Reitz/Good/Blythe as the main backups....

That look like a pretty decent O-Line. 

And Harrison can hand those guys water while Thornton is recovering from whatever he got injured from that week. 

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thornton better hurry up and get healthy. The rookies are Philbins picks.  His availability could be his downfall.  Every practice he misses hurts his chances.  Thornton has had plenty of chances to earn a spot.  Now the competition is much tougher.  We will see.

12 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Thornton better hurry up and get healthy. The rookies are Philbins picks.  His availability could be his downfall.  Every practice he misses hurts his chances.  Thornton has had plenty of chances to earn a spot.  Now the competition is much tougher.  We will see.

I agree with you.  Personally I don't see them bringing Thornton back next year so any little crack he leaves in the door is room for them to say "Hey he won't be back with us next year so lets move on to the player(s) we do know will be back".   That could place him a back up role for the 2016 season. Ousted after that.