Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What would you like to see from Ted Monachino?

chad72

What are fans' expectations from Ted Monachino, our new DC?

Do you want to see varied fronts? Do you want to see quick adjustments within a few series if something does not work? Do you want to see zone blitzes? Do you want to see any of our DL dropped back in coverage like Ngata was, occasionally? Do you want focus on a "high risk high reward" type of D exposing our corners on an island and jumping routes more often or a focus on limiting points per game with timely aggression like on 3rd downs and/or close to red zone? It is likely we cannot have all of the above, hence gauging fan expectations here :)

I am thinking if we are top 10 in points allowed per game AND 3rd down D, that would be a great start for our new DC. Doing what our personnel does well and purely focusing on those will maximize the results, IMO.

Thoughts???

I want to see gameplans tailored to each opponent. Some weeks that might more conservative, other weeks more aggressive.

I'd like to see defenders used in a way that maximizes their strengths and minimizes their weaknesses. Robert Mathis is a Rush backer, not a hybrid. Let him go get the QB. There's some gamesmanship in dropping him every once in a while, but he should be rushing the QB 95% of the time. D'Qwell Jackson shouldn't be isolated on TEs, especially in the slot, to whatever extent that can be avoided.

I would like to see the defense well prepared against the Steelers.

I think Monachino is going to be really good. It's just the feeling I have. I've been wrong before, but it's just how I feel.  Even Doyel from the Indy Star who is always negative wrote an article stating how he felt Monachino is going to be good.  It's usually hard to get positive articles from Doyel of all people.   Additionaly I want to see us be able to make the necessary adjustments that we had problems making under Manusky against certain teams.

I want a DC that aggressively gameplans to take away the opponent's strength and force them to try and win on their weaknesses.

We see this from the great OCs and DCs.  All the time.

2004 (Ithink) the Colts put huge numbers on Denver in the wildcard round, then play the Chiefs and have a game where there are no punts.  The offense is flying high, the passing game is unstoppable, they go into Foxborough and Crennel and BB devise a defense to shut down the passing game.  If I remember correctly, James ran well that day, he just had very few carries.  The passing game was what had worked and Manning was going to stick with it and the Pats D just smothered the Colts passing game.

Tom Moore did this for years, if the Colts were facing a team that was tough against the pass, his game plan would call for a bunch of throws on the first few drives.

Last year, Wade Philips going Carolina who's strength on offense was Cam Newton and they took him out of the game and didn't let him make any big plays that he fed off all year.  They let the WRs do what they wanted, they let the RBs do what they wanted, and focused on taking Newton off his game.

So that is what I want to see from the new DC.  Not asking much, I know.

22 minutes ago, Superman said:

I want to see gameplans tailored to each opponent. Some weeks that might more conservative, other weeks more aggressive.

I'd like to see defenders used in a way that maximizes their strengths and minimizes their weaknesses. Robert Mathis is a Rush backer, not a hybrid. Let him go get the QB. There's some gamesmanship in dropping him every once in a while, but he should be rushing the QB 95% of the time. D'Qwell Jackson shouldn't be isolated on TEs, especially in the slot, to whatever extent that can be avoided.

Specific to gameplanning, I'd like to see more coverage variations to matchup against teams like Pittsburgh.  I can accept that it's hard to do multiple things well, but if you can only play press man well, then the Steelers will run bunch sets at you until you try zone....and if you don't do zone well, then good luck.  A little cover 3 might go a long way if we can play it reasonably well.

Beyond that, I simply want to see Monachino have a feel for what his personnel can do and put them in a position to take something away from the other team.  Most DC's have similar tools to work with for alignments and pressure.

I want us to tailor gameplans to opponents better. Focus on shutting down their strongest weapons. 

Play players to their strengths. And an end to this 'interchangeable safeties' culture we seem to be trying to have. 4 years and it hasn't worked yet. I don't want to see Geathers spend half of his time playing deep zone coverage when he could be disrupting the offense by covering a TE or being off of scrimmage or in the box against the run. Both of which he looked good doing last season. Just one example. 

React and adjust. 

1 hour ago, TDewar1987 said:

I'd like to see us not get blown out by Pittsburgh at home. I think that right there would be a success. Surely since Monachino came from that division he is use to playing against Big Ben and that crazy WR core.

That's the first thing that came to my mind.  

Like Supe said, use the players to take advantage of their best ability, not force them into a scheme.  We all want pressure, but do we have the players?  

15 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

That's the first thing that came to my mind.  

Like Supe said, use the players to take advantage of their best ability, not force them into a scheme.  We all want pressure, but do we have the players?  

1 hour ago, UKColt13 said:

I want us to tailor gameplans to opponents better. Focus on shutting down their strongest weapons. 

Play players to their strengths. And an end to this 'interchangeable safeties' culture we seem to be trying to have. 4 years and it hasn't worked yet. I don't want to see Geathers spend half of his time playing deep zone coverage when he could be disrupting the offense by covering a TE or being off of scrimmage or in the box against the run. Both of which he looked good doing last season. Just one example. 

React and adjust. 

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

A coordinator that can use his players strengths to his advantage. A coordinator who knows how to attack an opposing offenses weaknesses and minimize their strengths

1 hour ago, TDewar1987 said:

I'd like to see us not get blown out by Pittsburgh at home. I think that right there would be a success. Surely since Monachino came from that division he is use to playing against Big Ben and that crazy WR core.

2 hours ago, ztboiler said:

Specific to gameplanning, I'd like to see more coverage variations to matchup against teams like Pittsburgh.  I can accept that it's hard to do multiple things well, but if you can only play press man well, then the Steelers will run bunch sets at you until you try zone....and if you don't do zone well, then good luck.  A little cover 3 might go a long way if we can play it reasonably well.

Beyond that, I simply want to see Monachino have a feel for what his personnel can do and put them in a position to take something away from the other team.  Most DC's have similar tools to work with for alignments and pressure.

2 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

I want to see us be really good against the run. I think if we can do that we will force more long yardage 3rd downs and put more pressure on the QB.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

I think Monachino is going to be really good. It's just the feeling I have. I've been wrong before, but it's just how I feel.  Even Doyel from the Indy Star who is always negative wrote an article stating how he felt Monachino is going to be good.  It's usually hard to get positive articles from Doyel of all people.   Additionaly I want to see us be able to make the necessary adjustments that we had problems making under Manusky against certain teams.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

I want what he promised.  Pressure and letting guys do what they do without being so complex that they are hesitant because of thinking too much. Simple, Sound, Disciplined and Attacking!

2 hours ago, Superman said:

3 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

I want to see Geathers come crashing in on a blitz more often than not. 

Be Aggressive...B E Aggressive  

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

What are fans' expectations from Ted Monachino, our new DC?

Do you want to see varied fronts? Do you want to see quick adjustments within a few series if something does not work? Do you want to see zone blitzes? Do you want to see any of our DL dropped back in coverage like Ngata was, occasionally? Do you want focus on a "high risk high reward" type of D exposing our corners on an island and jumping routes more often or a focus on limiting points per game with timely aggression like on 3rd downs and/or close to red zone? It is likely we cannot have all of the above, hence gauging fan expectations here :)

I am thinking if we are top 10 in points allowed per game AND 3rd down D, that would be a great start for our new DC. Doing what our personnel does well and purely focusing on those will maximize the results, IMO.

Thoughts???

In my best Garth voice (from Wayne's World, not Brooks).

It' almost seems too easy.

3 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

React and adjust. 

Both Adams and Geathers play like strong safeties. Going to be interesting how that plays out.

A scheme that is built around the players, not the other way around.  I don't think devising a scheme and trying to fit players into that mold works.  You have to have a scheme that fits what your players do well and try to help out in the other areas where you are deficient.  I don't think they necessarily need to be top 10.  I think the offense will bounce back.  I just think they need to be solid.  They don't even need to be among the top in yards given up if you can force FG's and create turnovers.  It's about scoring and no matter how many yards you give up you can still be effective by limiting points given up.  This defense is going to have its deficiencies.  There simply aren't many ProBowlers here.  Just be solid on first and 2nd down, create more 3rd and longs, and the rest will take care of itself. 

8 hours ago, Superman said:

The only part I can agree with you is the defense against the Stealers because I dislike them with a passion lol Robert has to be a hybrid player. Stopping the run as he tries to get to the Quarterback. That was the format in the beginning in 2012. That was why we released Freeney. He couldn't contain the run game on his side of the field. In fact him just rushing the passer was actually taken advantage by other teams. I remember Arian Foster on "Mic'd up" talking about a run play in which he utilized it as a weakness in our defense. 

4 minutes ago, a06cc said:

The only part I can agree with you is the defense against the Stealers because I dislike them with a passion lol Robert has to be a hybrid player. Stopping the run as he tries to get to the Quarterback. That was the format in beginning in 2012. That was why we released Freeney. He couldn't contain the run game on his side of the field. In fact him just rushing the passer was actually taken advantage by other teams. I remember Arian Foster on "Mic'd up" talking about a run play in which he utilized it as a weakness in our defense. 

I have no concern with Mathis playing the run. He has to set the edge and he has to rush in a disciplined manner.

I don't want to see him dropping into coverage with any regularity, and I don't think he should be rushing the A/B gaps either. He's an edge rusher, he should be on the edge, coming forward. Especially at 35.

11 hours ago, krunk said:

I want what he promised.  Pressure and letting guys do what they do without being so complex that they are hesitant because of thinking too much. Simple, Sound, Disciplined and Attacking!

I want to see Chud get our offense started out fast, and scoring regularly every week.  This will allow for our defense to pressure the opposing QB.  If we start out with turnovers, 3 and outs, etc... on O, it is going to be very difficult for our D to be totally focused on pressuring the opposing QB.  I like your thoughts, though -- at this point, however, I would say our O and STs are a bit more advanced (talent wise) than our D -- it will really help the D (and the new coordinator) if we are firing in the other aspects of the game.

2 hours ago, a06cc said:

The only part I can agree with you is the defense against the Stealers because I dislike them with a passion lol Robert has to be a hybrid player. Stopping the run as he tries to get to the Quarterback. That was the format in the beginning in 2012. That was why we released Freeney. He couldn't contain the run game on his side of the field. In fact him just rushing the passer was actually taken advantage by other teams. I remember Arian Foster on "Mic'd up" talking about a run play in which he utilized it as a weakness in our defense. 

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I have no concern with Mathis playing the run. He has to set the edge and he has to rush in a disciplined manner.

I don't want to see him dropping into coverage with any regularity, and I don't think he should be rushing the A/B gaps either. He's an edge rusher, he should be on the edge, coming forward. Especially at 35.

I don't know if I want to see Mathis as a 3-down LBer.  Again, to my point above -- if our offense proves to be very dangerous, I can see Mathis being on the field a lot, with his major assignment being to pin his ears back and go after the QB.  If our offense isn't scoring, and if it is obvious (and easy for the other team) that they are going to be running on 1st down -- no sense having Robert in there (IMO).

I'd like to see some schemes where we utilize the athleticism of TJ Green and Geathers as guys who can both rush the passer if needed, or play coverage on TEs/RBs.

Well I for one hope to see one major change..let Vontae shadow the Top receiver and shift coverage the other way that's what you call high risk high reward..trust your top corner to shut thier top reciever down Alone no help 

9 minutes ago, will426 said:

Well I for one hope to see one major change..let Vontae shadow the Top receiver and shift coverage the other way that's what you call high risk high reward..trust your top corner to shut thier top reciever down Alone no help 

I'm not posting this to knock you or to criticize your idea, several DCs in college and the pros think this way. 

It's not a defensive theory I agree with.  Game plan and put multiple bodies on the best WR and then put your best CB on the most likely second option.  The theory being a guy like The Disease can completely shut down the second option and a combination can shut down the top option, forcing them to go to their 3rd and 4th options.

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I'm not posting this to knock you or to criticize your idea, several DCs in college and the pros think this way. 

It's not a defensive theory I agree with.  Game plan and put multiple bodies on the best WR and then put your best CB on the most likely second option.  The theory being a guy like The Disease can completely shut down the second option and a combination can shut down the top option, forcing them to go to their 3rd and 4th options.

I like this idea as well but either one works for me but the one you say sounds a lot better 

4 minutes ago, will426 said:

I like this idea as well but either one works for me but the one you say sounds a lot better 

And I'm probably being too general.  If a team has mediocre #1 and a less talented #2 then your method of putting a top corner on the number one makes a lot of sense.

17 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

And I'm probably being too general.  If a team has mediocre #1 and a less talented #2 then your method of putting a top corner on the number one makes a lot of sense.

Lol yeah but I just hated how manusky would have Vontae shadow one game then do nothing with him the next..for example when we played the bills Sammy Watkins was shutdown by Vontae if you can do that and shift coverage to the others  you'll see more qbs trying to either go for the 1 v1 matchup or the tight window on the other side

4 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

This is a theory Belichick has implemented successfully for years now.

Revis was on Wayne, and TY was blanketed with a safety all the time with the #3 CB mainly because Browner, as a #2 CB did not have the foot speed to keep up with TY. So he used Browner on Moncrief in 2014. When Wayne went down, he used Revis on Moncrief, same combo vs TY and Browner on Fleener to shut most of our options down. Against Antonio Brown, he used the best safety in McCourty and the #2 CB last year Logan Ryan while using #1 Malcolm Butler on Markus Wheaton (lucked out with Martavis Bryant being suspended for game 1 in 2015).

When Ellis Hobbs was his #1 CB, he used him on Wayne, and a combo of Asante Samuel (when Asante was new to the league and ascending) and a safety on Marvin thus leading to Asante jumping that route in the 2006 AFCCG with the safety net behind. 

However, in a close game, he will change it up at the end, and play 1-on-1 with his #1 guy going against their #1 guy (Hobbs on Plaxico Buress in 2007 SB, Revis on Doug Baldwin in 2014 SB, Malcolm Butler on OBJ last year in regular season vs Giants). When the wide out gets comfortable, he knows what is coming. By changing the assignments the wide out goes against, he makes the wide out think than just play.

If anything, I would like Vontae to shadow a guy like Gronk, he can considerably limit him in the passing game, IMO. In the 2014 AFCCG, Vontae was on Gronk and his slant, even with his big body in the end zone would not work for a TD vs Vontae. FG before the half. But later, when Toler was in there, Gronk took a bigger step to the outside, Toler bit hard on it and then Gronk used his body for the TD on the inside slant. 

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

This is a theory Belichick has implemented successfully for years now.

Revis was on Wayne, and TY was blanketed with a safety all the time with the #3 CB mainly because Browner, as a #2 CB did not have the foot speed to keep up with TY. So he used Browner on Moncrief in 2014. When Wayne went down, he used Revis on Moncrief, same combo vs TY and Browner on Fleener to shut most of our options down. Against Antonio Brown, he used the best safety in McCourty and the #2 CB last year Logan Ryan while using #1 Malcolm Butler on Markus Wheaton (lucked out with Martavis Bryant being suspended for game 1 in 2015).

When Ellis Hobbs was his #1 CB, he used him on Wayne, and a combo of Asante Samuel (when Asante was new to the league and ascending) and a safety on Marvin thus leading to Asante jumping that route in the 2006 AFCCG with the safety net behind. 

However, in a close game, he will change it up at the end, and play 1-on-1 with his #1 guy going against their #1 guy (Hobbs on Plaxico Buress in 2007 SB, Revis on Doug Baldwin in 2014 SB, Malcolm Butler on OBJ last year in regular season vs Giants). When the wide out gets comfortable, he knows what is coming. By changing the assignments the wide out goes against, he makes the wide out think than just play.

I hope Chud has the Colts defense playing better than what Belichick has had the Patriots playing over the last couple of years.

9 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Exactly. That's literally what New England did to us in the 2014 championship game. Kyle Arrington was on TY with help from (I believe) McCourty. That left Revis on Moncrief, which completely shut down our two top options

8 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Yup. Back to the idea of using different game plans for different opponents.

13 hours ago, Superman said:

Yup. Back to the idea of using different game plans for different opponents.

And I think all coaches try to do it.  They just aren't very good at it and when their game plan is no longer applicable they go back to what is comfortable.  That is why teams all have computer software simulators to track tendencies of coaches based on down/distance/quarter/score, etc.

1 hour ago, Mr Clueless said:

Pain as in: terrible defensive performance that will pain us Colts fans? Or pain as in a great performance that will pain the opponent team? 

There's only one kind of pain associated with MR. T. Mr.T always gave butt whippings, he never took them.!