Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Amazed at the pessimism directed at the team this year

RockThatBlue

Seems almost every article is down talking us. Luck shouldn't re sign with us, we will struggle to finish 3rd in the afc south, the colts will go 6-10 blah blah blah.

Now don't get me wrong we IMO are probably still a year or two away from making a deep playoff run, but with a healthy Andrew Luck this team will not be terrible like some of these so called sports outlets are making us out to be. 

I like being under the radar though so its not really a big deal to me, I just am laughing at these ridiculous predictions. You would think we went 1-15 last year reading some of these articles about us.

Anyone else sick of it too? I have a feeling Luck and the Colts will shut a lot of people up this year...

Let them talk. Luck had a bad year and was injured in the process. Manning had some hard times in the beginning too. Dont forget Andrew Luck led the Colts to a victory against the then undefeated Broncos and their defense and they won the super bowl. 

it's just overreaction from last year. Like a whiplash effect from so many pegging us as Superbowl favorites in the off season last year. And on paper the Texans Jags and Titans look to be improved. Can't wait to see it all play out on the field!

Not everyone can be media darlings like the Patriots or Pamthers. I know you guys like being talked up as the team to beat but not every analyst has to think so, nor are they "haters" for being otherwise. Imagine how Browns, Bengals, Dolphins fans feel every year. 

I'm not surprised.  The media roots for the story.  The Colts are old hat.  They're not sexy any more. There's a competition amongst the media to be the first to discover the new flavor- jags,  Raiders, etc...

We'll be in the mix in January, media be damned

Who cares? When I look at the team I see a ton of potential, and that is all that really matters to me. I like to think of the possibilities and get myself excited for every season. I try to save my criticism of the team for the games. It does me no service to tear the team down before then, and once the season starts its about how they perform and what they need to do to improve. For the most part, this is gonna be the roster that runs out of the tunnel for us next year, and yes it has some flaws. It also has some strengths. And success is way more about strength than weakness. 

The Colts are gonna be a good team. We just don't know how good. We are as good as Andrew Luck. And if he takes the next step to become a true MVP caliber QB, we are gonna be right there going for a SB, its that simple. Then it just comes down to how good he is. 

The defense is a work in progress, but the cupboard isn't as bare as people think. We might not be top notch, but we can be good. 

I also want to remind people that when Carolina lost Benjamin last year these same pundits were talking crap about them as well. No one thought that was a SB caliber roster either. And by mid season they had already crowned the Patriots champs. It couldn't possibly be any less valid. 

I just keep in mind the media puts out articles to draw attention. They purposely think of subjects that keep the fans talking and in an uproar. There are very few sports media hounds that stick to just reporting the facts. It has now become face time and who can come up with the new catch phrase.  90% of sports is no better than what the National Enquirer brings to real news. I find myself not even watching much sports at all because of it. I turn the sound down and just look at the bottom of the screen to catch some news and scores. Every season there are teams who are predicted to finish at the top of the league and fall off big time.  On the other side there are teams who are not expected to do much but are in the mix at the end of the season. So many factors can happen to change things.

Just another year of every teams offseason moves being extremely over hyped.

The more moves a team makes in the offseason the better they are to the media. Which obviously isn't the case.

Every year there are teams that made crazy offseason moves that now are "Super Bowl contenders" and they end up failing expectations by a ton.

It is a little strange with all that happened last year and the year before being so close to the Superbowl.  But I'm good with it.  I think they do better as the underdogs anyway so I say to the media "keep it comin".  It's so much sweeter when you have a great season and nobody outside the city expects it.

10 hours ago, coltsfanej said:

it's just overreaction from last year. Like a whiplash effect from so many pegging us as Superbowl favorites in the off season last year. And on paper the Texans Jags and Titans look to be improved. Can't wait to see it all play out on the field!

Yeah on the field is the only place that matters everything is just talk. 

It is a little surprising given that we were only one game out of going to the playoffs last year with the injury to Luck and all of the drama surrounding the Colts coaching staff and front office. We did lose a couple of players, but by no means major impact guys (Fleener kind of hurts mostly due to his potential). We also added what should be a lot of help to what was our biggest weakness -- the Oline.

The Jags in particular got a lot better on paper, but if Luck continues to improve off of his seasons previous to last (or merely returns to 2014 form), I believe the Colts are still the best team in the AFC South.

It seems that the Colts are viewed as a team on a downside while he rest of the AFC South is on an upswing. Perhaps after last year Andrew Luck is no longer viewed as separating the Colts from the rest of the field. That perception will change when the see that he is 100% over the maladies that plagued him last year.

13 hours ago, QwizBoy said:

Not everyone can be media darlings like the Patriots or Pamthers. I know you guys like being talked up as the team to beat but not every analyst has to think so, nor are they "haters" for being otherwise. Imagine how Browns, Bengals, Dolphins fans feel every year. 

I actually agree with you however I don't really care if the Colts are media darlings that has never helped the Colts win a ring. They have to prove it on the field like the other 31 teams do.

the media sees that we lost starters on defense and offense , grigs did not bring in free agents to replace all of them. therefore the media thinks we wont be as good as our 8 and 8 finish last season. they are thinking our new coaching schemes wont make a difference. they must think our draft picks for the o-line are projects. the other teams in our division have a lot of proven playmakers. as a fan I want to trust that our front office has assembled a team and coaches that they feel can win this season, I cant wait to see what they have put together for us.

I actually love it, it feels like 2012 all over again. Then we get to see all these talking heads backtrack if the Colts do better then they thought. Of course they'll probably give the excuse of the division didn't really improve as much as they thought. This has been happening ever since Peyton was here, they kept saying the rest of the division and the conference had passed us by, yet we kept winning. I for one think it's going to be a fun year.

If we win the division they will just say we are in the weakest division. The same with all the people who claim it has been a weak division since it started. They forget about the old Tennessee teams with McNair and the old Jacksonville teams that played fairly well for a decade or so. We have one of the best organizations in the league and people are gonna hate.

I like the direction that the team is going in. I personally think if we can nail the next two drafts and bring in a few solid free agents, we could be SB contenders in a few years.

Really would like to see us bolster our pass rush and MLB situation. But, I think we're going in the right direction. Hopefully our new coaches pay dividends.

I wouldn't say anyone's jealous of us, people truly do not think much of the Colts, for obvious reasons. People look at us like we are terrible. Which it wasn't pretty to watch last year at all. We are kind of the joke of the NFL with how we took a WR with our 1st round pick. It was BPA, but yet this year we drafted upon need. Luck throws the ball too much which leads to INTs. Just a few things that are major game changing type things that need improved before we can be considered to be a really good overall football team.

Fansided just put out an article last week that said we'd be lucky to finish 4-12. Basically the only thing that I have yet to see at this point is an article predicting a 0 win season for the Colts, but I won't put it past any of these experts, someone will write that article sooner or later.

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 0:33 AM, QwizBoy said:

No but these predictions are absolutely disrespect.

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 9:33 PM, QwizBoy said:

I personally love being the underdog because that's when Andrew Luck makes the media look foolish.

They can direct pessimism at us all they want and put Jacksonville and Houston up on a pedestal all they want.  We're not the team who's fans drove by their starting QB's house and cussed and burned in front of said QBs house or started rallies to sign Tim Tebow in recent history.  

The true question is - what would exceed our fans' expectations this year?

Winning the division and winning a playoff game, we have been there before. But coming off a year where we didn't make the playoffs, would winning the division and winning a playoff game exceed expectations? Objectively looking at it, I would have to say "yes".

However, I cannot speak for the others :)

16 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Winning the division and winning a playoff game, we have been there before. But coming off a year where we didn't make the playoffs, would winning the division and winning a playoff game exceed expectations? Objectively looking at it, I would have to say "yes".

Is this team really that much different from the team that went to the AFC title game two years ago? Obviously a big part of that depends on Luck's health -- but it is still principally the same team. However, I would be happy making the playoffs and winning a game just based on the fact that this is somewhat of a transition year despite having the same coaching staff. It still seems like there has been a change in philosophy (which I like). 

29 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If we win our Division again and prove the Texans and Jags upgrades weren't good enough to beat us I would be happy. Mainly because both teams made upgrades and a lot of moves and are getting all the hype + in next years Draft I think we go Pass Rushers and Defense which we will even improve at that point and get back to our 2014 status at worse.

18 hours ago, SupermanLuck12 said:

I like the direction that the team is going in. I personally think if we can nail the next two drafts and bring in a few solid free agents, we could be SB contenders in a few years.

Really would like to see us bolster our pass rush and MLB situation. But, I think we're going in the right direction. Hopefully our new coaches pay dividends.

I also like the direction the Colts are going.   I don't think they did enough to be a SB contender this year.  Just basing that off of the rookie starters.   It'll be nice to see what Gore will do with a healthy Luck.  

Is there any reason to believe Luck is not 100%.   That would certainly factor in with any predictions.   From the year before Manning till last year, we've all seen how much this team relies our starting QB.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I personally love being the underdog because that's when Andrew Luck makes the media look foolish.

We'll see. He didn't do too well last year, which undoubtedly feeds into some of the perceived negativity. I think I would be more surprised if everyone was agreeing without a doubt that the Colts would win the division again. Maybe the new and retooled offensive line will give Andrew what he needs to take the next step. Like I said, though, the entire world isn't out to get the Colts. This offseason narrative that the media hates them is just foolish.

29 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

We'll see. He didn't do too well last year, which undoubtedly feeds into some of the perceived negativity. I think I would be more surprised if everyone was agreeing without a doubt that the Colts would win the division again. Maybe the new and retooled offensive line will give Andrew what he needs to take the next step. Like I said, though, the entire world isn't out to get the Colts. This offseason narrative that the media hates them is just foolish.

We play better as the underdog for some reason so I like it. You may see it as everyone has always kissed our behind entering every year because we have won the Division a ton but even in the Manning years most of the media always favored the Pats or Steelers in the Conference and they still do. I am ok with that, we have never been first fiddle in the media eyes or ESPN's eye's. I remember entering the 2009 Season and Golic and Schlereth laughed at our team when asked which Manning would make the SuperBowl, both said "Neither". Just stuff I remember and we started 14-0 and won the Conference LOL. Just like some of these dopes picking us 3rd in the Division right now, I just have to haha. If the Colts don't win the Division I would be really surprised as long as Andrew stays healthy. I cant see us being worse than 9-7 and we our capable of going 11-5. Jags are unproven, Oz is unproven, Andrew is proven.

4 hours ago, Dudley Smith said:

Is this team really that much different from the team that went to the AFC title game two years ago? Obviously a big part of that depends on Luck's health -- but it is still principally the same team. However, I would be happy making the playoffs and winning a game just based on the fact that this is somewhat of a transition year despite having the same coaching staff. It still seems like there has been a change in philosophy (which I like). 

To me, winning/losing in the playoffs magnifies coaching. So, coaching does get magnified as we head deeper into the playoffs. However, I agree with you, most of the team is the same except for a few changes in philosophy. Sometimes, the hunger factor is not emphasized enough.

5 hours ago, chad72 said:

as a fan I expect our front office to put on the field every season, a team that can compete for the sb. I am not satisfied with anything else. that is what I root for as a fan. most seasons I am not satisfied, but I enjoy the team effort. this season is no different, I hope the front office has us ready to compete.

Look folks, I am one of the rosiest Mary Sunshines on the planet with the Colts but we got issues. 

We may not win the division, I repeat WE MAY NOT WIN THE DIVISION.

I am feeling at the moment a close battle with someone (hint it's not the Titans). But, even if we lose the division this year perhaps a WC spot can still happen a la 2012.

Just relax.

It may not happen but we are still technically at the moment building.

The defense is an up and down train wreck and the o line speaks for itself helping to hurt a small group last year who were brave enough to QB this team without filing murder charges against us.

I am not saying we can't do it......but there is a lot to see for people to believe again. 

On the plus side the first round center IMO will be great and thats important so Luck can help keep his internal organs in tact. 

7 minutes ago, Jules said:

Look folks, I am one of the rosiest Mary Sunshines on the planet with the Colts but we got issues. 

We may not win the division, I repeat WE MAY NOT WIN THE DIVISION.

I am feeling at the moment a close battle with someone (hint it's not the Titans). But, even if we lose the division this year perhaps a WC spot can still happen a la 2012.

Just relax.

It may not happen but we are still technically at the moment building.

The defense is an up and down train wreck and the o line speaks for itself helping to hurt a small group last year who were brave enough to QB this team without filing murder charges against us.

I am not saying we can't do it......but there is a lot to see for people to believe again. 

On the plus side the first round center IMO will be great and thats important so Luck can help keep his internal organs in tact. 

grigs may not be done bringing in talent for this season