Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Article claiming Colts will break the bank to infinity to pay Luck-opinions?

threeflight

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, threeflight said:

Rookie records.  Not NFL records.  And he also broke the record for turnovers if I am not mistaken.  

luck does not have the rookie turnover record, he had 24 total while peyton threw 28 ints.

he does have the rookie passing yardage record though :)

luck has never lead the league in turnovers but i think he may have had the most before getting hurt last year

6 hours ago, threeflight said:

I assume you are being sarcastic.  But my point still stands.  I don't know how you justify making Luck not only the highest paid player in football, but also paying him BY FAR the most guaranteed money.  It seems ever since college, his reputation has ballooned his true playing abilities to monumental proportions.  He is good, can be very good.  But he is no where close to great.  NO WHERE CLOSE.  Other than 2014, he has never ranked in the top qb's stats.  Even last year, when he wasn't hurt, he was no where close to being what I would call an elite qb.  He was airmailing passes all over the place.  Decision making was STILL POOR.

All I am saying is, we could trade him, upgrade our entire team, and not have to pay anywhere close to what he is wanting.  We will never win a SB (IMO) paying him that kind of money and handicapping our team financially this way.  

I am not down with trading Luck with that said...

The Colts are paying Luck mainly on his potential...what they believe he will eventually become.  I don't agree with paying him a ludicrous amount either but that's what they are going to do.  Luck has had 3 good years for us but last year he fell off the table.  Injuries were partly to blame but not the only reason. Part of it may have been Pep but I feel that excuse is overused as well.  Luck has to be held accountable to some degree for his continuous problems with turnovers, ill advised decisions and pedestrian QBR for several seasons now. With a player coming off an injury filled season, prudent franchises don't usually throw this kind of money around until he proves on the field that he is all the way back.   Much less broadcast it to the world in bravado like fashion.  But we are talking about a franchise with a Willy Wonka like owner.  A flashy look at me type of rich cat in his self made blue and white candy coated world. 

In in my opinion, Luck is a good player not a great one...yet.  His QBR puts him in Phillip Rivers, Tony Romo, Eli Manning territory.  Luck has more of a clutch gene that allows him to elevate in key situations.  Hopefully he will become great consistently eventually but he needs to elevate his overall game to the next level...which for him is a transformation into a more disciplined and better decision maker because the talent is definitely there...when healthy.

Actually Luck's 2014 Season was Great, not Very Good but Great. 40 TD's and 16 INT's with nearly 4800 Yards passing and leading your team to 11-5 + an AFC Title Game appearance is a Great season for a QB. Peyton won MVP in 2009 and only threw 33 TD's with 16 INT's, he got to the SB but lost. I would pay whatever it takes to keep him. I really think someone like Andrew wants to win so I am sure the contract will somewhat be reasonable.

5 hours ago, threeflight said:

Absolutely not.  I have been following the NFL and the Colts for 35 years.  Just won 4 of my 5 $200 and over per person fantasy leagues last year as well.  Not saying that makes me king of the nfl, but I know football.

What I am saying is Luck's reputation and persona is what is getting him paid imo, not his actual ability and stats.  That is why I am saying give Lucks stats to Tanneyhill, and no one would be saying make RT the highest paid player in the NFL.

Fantasy is fantasy. NFL is reality. If fantasy really counted in reality I think there are a bunch of us who play a lot more than 5 teams a year. I cant think of one of them who confuses the two.

1 hour ago, threeflight said:

Did Andrew Luck play anywhere close to being a franchise QB last year?  Enough to warrant the contact being talked about?

You act like last year was Luck's 1st season in the NFL !!!  Look at his 1st 3 years in the league and tell me he was the worst franchise QB in the league.  I prefer to look at Luck's 1st 3 years, because that PROVES beyond the shadow of a doubt  how good he can and will be !!

Anyone who thinks Luck is getting $30m/year is beyond help. Anyone who thinks Luck is getting $200m is beyond help. And anyone who thinks Luck doesn't have a case for being the highest paid player in the league is beyond help.

The dude is going to get paid a big chunk of change. I don't really know why this is an issue...Though honestly I'd be hesitant to make him the highest paid player given how reckless he can be with his playing style which again is more Favre like than anyone else. Being one of if not the highest paid players in the league comes with the position even if you put up big numbers 1 year or an average QB that can still move the ball well enough. If your a QB and you show the ability to move the ball regardless if your just managing the game or through big plays its a given you will get paid big money.

8 hours ago, threeflight said:

This article is saying the Colts are ready to not only make Luck the highest paid player in football, which is ludicrous, but they are also ready to give him the highest guaranteed contract in NFL history.  $98 MILLION of the entire contract ($200 M or more) guaranteed.  .

Look, I love Luck as much as anyone, but even at his best, he is not the best player in football.  To pay him this much is absolute insanity.  He is a turnover machine, and has yet to deliver what I would call a truly great season. He had a very good one in 2014, but not great.  And the thing is, Irsay almost seems like he is giddy to pay him that much.  He seems proud of it.  Makes no sense to me.

If it costs that much to retain Luck, trade him.  We could get a kings ransom from someone.  Paying that much to one player, no matter how good (and he is not even THAT GOOD yet) is a sure way to having what we had with Manning.  It doesn't work in the long run.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sounds-andrew-luck-going-contract-160719540.html

First things first, Luck HAS NOT established himself as THE BEST QB in the league!  That doesn't mean, he doesn't deserve to be the highest paid in the league!  He had one of the worst OL's in the league his first 4 seasons, and therefore no running game, yet he still produced at an elite level, while things were going well!   That in itself says HE DOES deserve to be the highest paid player in the NFL.  Especially now that he has a solid OL.

You can't just trade him because players with his potential only come around once in a decade!  I'm not too keen on paying him 25M/yr either, but I would rather pay him that than a 2nd tier QB 18M/yr that CANT carry our team!  I firmly believe with the focus on the OL and new coaching staff, our team is set up for success (in the future).  Perhaps not til we get a couple young pass rushers, but we are heading in the right direction... Only 1 team wins the SB each yr, and only 1 team represents each conference in the big game.  With Peyton stepping down, and Brady/Belicheck drawing to the end of their careers as well, the talent on this team only getting better, surely will take us to the top, if we stick to the process!

My main point is you can't dump a player like Luck just because he hasn't won a SB yet.  Great things are yet to come, if you give it time.  That's the nature of sports.  Obviously, NO team wins championships year in and year out.  There are dynastys that come about, but they're few and far between.  You must look at the big picture, and understand the nature of sports as a whole to appreciate how fortunate we are as fans of the Colts to get a once in a lifetime QB back to back as Indianapolis has!

5 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

I dont give a damn what Irsay pays him. I'd rather bring him back than trading him. Its unlikely he gets 30 million anyway, you're seriously flipping out over an article SPECULATING over what his contract might be. 

This is seriously one of the stupidest threads I've ever read on here. You've lost your mind over something that might not even happen, good God. 

LOL, I agree. I never say a Thread is bad and always try to avoid conflict but I don't see the point of this Thread. We just need to get Andrew signed and get it out of the way.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Anyone who thinks Luck is getting $30m/year is beyond help. Anyone who thinks Luck is getting $200m is beyond help. And anyone who thinks Luck doesn't have a case for being the highest paid player in the league is beyond help.

Not that it will happen, but a $200m deal at 8 years is fine by me, obviously depending on real guaranteed money. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

LOL, I agree. I never say a Thread is bad and always try to avoid conflict but I don't see the point of this Thread. We just need to get Andrew signed and get it out of the way.

I think the OP wanted this as a bash Luck thread.

I think if Joe Flacco can be the highest paid QB in the league for the seasons he had before his contract extension (he's 22-22 since his SB win, and coming off an injury), luck can be the highest. That being said, there is a 0% chance luck makes 30 million a year. That would just be reckless. And for all the talk of irsay shelling out the "highest ever" contracts, he has never given a player a top contract that is almost 30% higher then the next highest guy. To think he would this time is ludicrous.  luck will get his 23-24 million a year and by the end of his contract he won't even be top 5 for highest salary. 

13 hours ago, threeflight said:

I am not sure how that makes sense when he is not close to being the top player in the league. He is in his 5th year.  Paying for potential is out the window.

I am only on page 2 of this thread and I feel like I have a great book that I can't put down.  Can't wait to get to the rest but I feel compelled to chime in here.  In a thread that has some just awful ideas, this one may be the worst.

But like I said, can't wait to read on...  I suspect there will be more.

13 hours ago, threeflight said:

Somewhere in the 4-7 slot of top paid NFL qbs.

OK - well then wait 2 years and that is where the value of his contract will be at the time.

Is it so freaking hard to understand that contract value does not necessarily equate to best at a given position. It simply a matter of timing.

57 minutes ago, shakedownstreet said:

i doubt he'd still be in the top twenty. these massive contracts always look like bargains 2-3 years down the road

Exactly, and that might the good reason to make a 8 year deal, that might look expensive today but could turn into a great deal for the team in a few years. :thmup:

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@Threeflight, Ryan Tannehill couldn't carry Andrew's jock strap! Throwing for 40 TD's is Elite, only 11 other QB's in the history of the NFL has done that. You do realize only Brady and Peyton have thrown for 50 or more.

Lol, so true! Arguing with anyone who thinks different is just a waste of time Brother!

20 hours ago, threeflight said:

Rookie records.  Not NFL records.  And he also broke the record for turnovers if I am not mistaken.  

Look, no one is denying Luck is VERY good when he is not playing with his head cut off.  But highest paid player and its not even close good?  Cmon.......

The way they (Irsay & Co) are probably looking at it is these types of contracts, as ludicrous as it probably seems right now, will be very commonplace 5 years from now, at which point Luck's deal will look like a bargain due to yearly salary cap increases. If the guaranteed $$$ is mostly frontloaded, the deal could actually end up being team-friendly 5 years down the road.

Or not, and Luck will continue to regress, never fully getting back to 2014 form, making his contract the biggest mistake in Colts history.

Ok.

First this article is pure speculation,  off season speculation at that. So until we actually get the terms, no need freaking out.

2nd. While Luck may not be number 1 or 2 in the league as of now, there's more than enough evidence to suggest he's gonna be dang close at some point. He's already breaking Peyton Mannings records. Peyton also had a down 4th year. 

3rd, tying this in, find me a QB coming out that is as good as Luck or one that's available in the league. QB is critical to the team, unless you're the Broncos of 2015 of course. For the other 31 teams out there, I'd bet you a years check that at least 25 of them would gladly pay Luck this rumored amount. If not more. A team is nothing without a QB, see Cleveland,  any team not named the Colts in the AFC south (granted Jags and titans seem to finally have found a solid qb).

4th. Trading Luck is the dumbest thing I've EVER read on this forum and the suggestion of it shows just how little you know about football. Is the money insane, yes, but you can't trade away a good QB, cause then you're the 90s colts all over again. If not worse.

21 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

Irsay isn't afraid to pay his own but I'm glad it's not my money. lol. I heard that he could be in the $24-25M per year area. Big time bucks. Guess we will wait and see.

Brock Osweiler just got $17mil/yr out of the Texans. If that's the going rate for a serviceable backup QB with 8 NFL starts under his belt, then it's pretty easy for me to justify giving Luck $24mil/yr.

16 hours ago, threeflight said:

All I am saying is why the rush to crown him the winner of the Game of Thrones and make him the highest paid qb in football based off of that?  Let him play out his final year and THEN pay him.  If he has a great year, pay the man, IF he has an average year, pay him accordingly. If he has a bad year, then it may be time to reevaluate.  But to rush and make him the highest paid player in the NFL, when you don't have to and when he is coming off a brutal year?

I don't get it.  It serves no purpose.

The Ravens let Flacco play out his final year, and they ended up winning the Super Bowl. Totally blew up in their faces because they had zero leverage. Could you imagine the amount that Luck would command in that situation? "Hey I just won the Super Bowl, here's my routing number, please deposit $300 million by tomorrow, thanks."

in the HISTORY of the NFL, Luck is one of only eight QBs to throw 40 touchdowns in a season.

did it in his third season.

more importantly, he took us to the playoffs in his first three years --- and advanced each time.

I don't know about the amount, but you pay quarterbacks. especially winning quarterbacks.

13 hours ago, Larry Horseman said:

Not that it will happen, but a $200m deal at 8 years is fine by me, obviously depending on real guaranteed money. 

I think Luck would rather be a free agent again at 32 or 33, not 35. The Colts would probably come out ahead with an 8 year deal, but it doesn't make much sense from Luck's side.

Without reading the article, I'm just going to assume he means we will do right by him and pay him accordingly. No low balling or crazy clauses being put in his contract.

Along the lines of 'we took care of you now go play football'...Nothing more.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I think Luck would rather be a free agent again at 32 or 33, not 35. The Colts would probably come out ahead with an 8 year deal, but it doesn't make much sense from Luck's side.

yeah he ain't signing no 8 year deal. that could be his last contract depending on health & how long he wants to play. luck & his agent know full well the money will be even more ridiculous in five years

I think this will be the toughest call for Luck.....

How much is enough?

I don't think Luck is motivated by money.     He knows he can't get so much as to throw off how much money the Colts have left to pay other players to put around him.      But he wants to set a precedent to help other NFL players --- both on his own team, and around the NFL --- to make it easier to help them get better contracts.    That's the responsibility of the #1 overall player.

So Luck will have a lot of competing interests pulling at him.

That said....   whatever the final number of years and dollars the contract turns out to have,   I'd expect Luck to restructure the deal two,  maybe even even three times to give the Colts more salary cap flexibility.    That's what great leaders do.        He'll get more guaranteed money and give the Colts more room....

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Indeed. I was just saying I'd be happy with a $200 m, 8 yr deal. That's not happening. I've been thinking it will be more like 5 yrs, $120m-$130m. I'm really interested in the structure of the guarantee. I assume Luck's camp is going to push the issue on that more than overall number. 

Yeah let's just trade the 2nd best player in our franchises history since being in indy! Who cares what it costs he is the reason we have been winning!! even with a very average roster we went to the AFC Championship game because of him 

Keep Luck we all knew this was gonna happen when Luck in his rookie year too the team to the playoffs.  I understand that it's gonna be impossible to field a defense after signing Luck but like I said we all knew this day would come.  If colts fan are mad blame Grigson and Irsay for keeping Grigson around.  Grigson had mucho mucho deniro to spend the past three years and guess what he used it all on old average players at best!  

Wow, this thread has given me a headache.

Luck isn't going to be getting paid the most money in the NFL because he is currently the best player in the NFL.  Luck is going to be paid the most money in the NFL because that is what the market dictates that he is worth.  Whether you like it, or you agree with it, it's really a moot point.

The market dictates that Luck will get the money that he will get because there will be team(s) that will be willing and able to pay him that type of money, whether he's owning the #1 QB stats or not.  Osweiler just got $18/yr for 7 starts in the NFL......SEVEN starts.  

I don't care whether the OP thinks Luck deserves this amount of money or not, I'm quite certain there are plenty in the NFL who actually puts pen to paper on these contracts that would disagree with him....and that is why that man is going to get PAID!