Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Article claiming Colts will break the bank to infinity to pay Luck-opinions?

threeflight

This article is saying the Colts are ready to not only make Luck the highest paid player in football, which is ludicrous, but they are also ready to give him the highest guaranteed contract in NFL history.  $98 MILLION of the entire contract ($200 M or more) guaranteed.  .

Look, I love Luck as much as anyone, but even at his best, he is not the best player in football.  To pay him this much is absolute insanity.  He is a turnover machine, and has yet to deliver what I would call a truly great season. He had a very good one in 2014, but not great.  And the thing is, Irsay almost seems like he is giddy to pay him that much.  He seems proud of it.  Makes no sense to me.

If it costs that much to retain Luck, trade him.  We could get a kings ransom from someone.  Paying that much to one player, no matter how good (and he is not even THAT GOOD yet) is a sure way to having what we had with Manning.  It doesn't work in the long run.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sounds-andrew-luck-going-contract-160719540.html

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Iancolts said:

Trade him to the Los Angeles Rams!! Get Jared Goff and 8 1st round picks!! While we are at it trade away Mathis trade away moncrief trade everybody!!

I assume you are being sarcastic.  But my point still stands.  I don't know how you justify making Luck not only the highest paid player in football, but also paying him BY FAR the most guaranteed money.  It seems ever since college, his reputation has ballooned his true playing abilities to monumental proportions.  He is good, can be very good.  But he is no where close to great.  NO WHERE CLOSE.  Other than 2014, he has never ranked in the top qb's stats.  Even last year, when he wasn't hurt, he was no where close to being what I would call an elite qb.  He was airmailing passes all over the place.  Decision making was STILL POOR.

All I am saying is, we could trade him, upgrade our entire team, and not have to pay anywhere close to what he is wanting.  We will never win a SB (IMO) paying him that kind of money and handicapping our team financially this way.  

3 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Irsay isn't afraid to pay his own but I'm glad it's not my money. lol. I heard that he could be in the $24-25M per year area. Big time bucks. Guess we will wait and see.

That article is claiming it will be much more than that.

1 minute ago, Flash said:

Trading Luck would make the Colts like the Rams or the Texans. A team with talent but no QB.

I don't known what the solution is, but I do know you can't pay Luck that kind if money.  You just can't.

Maybe trade him to someone like a Denver, or one of the two teams who just drafted 1-2 qbs in the draft as part of a package.  Hell I would take Connor Cook and a bunch of players and draft picks rather than pay Luck that much.  It's lunacy.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The article is coming out of ESPN. Nuff said.

Do you hear Irsay talk?  I do. He seems pretty adamant, and excited mind you, to pay a player who has never led the league in anything, the biggest contract in NFL history.  And not just pay it, but blow it away.  

Luck is in his what, 5th year now?  He should not be making the mistakes be keeps making.  But he does.  This will haunt the Colts for years if they do this.  It is as if Isray got it in his mind 3 years ago to do this, and no matter how badly Luck plays, he will pay it.  OCD at its finest!

7 minutes ago, threeflight said:

I don't known what the solution is, but I do know you can't pay Luck that kind if money.  You just can't.

Maybe trade him to someone like a Denver, or one of the two teams who just drafted 1-2 qbs in the draft as part of a package.  Hell I would take Connor Cook and a bunch of players and draft picks rather than pay Luck that much.  It's lunacy.

If you trade Luck to Denver, they easily become the favorite to win the Super Bowl. Can't do that. You pay Luck, because as a team, we have been preparing for this. That's why we've had a quiet off season. 

5 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Do you hear Irsay talk?  I do. He seems pretty adamant, and excited mind you, to pay a player who has never led the league in anything, the biggest contract in NFL history.  And not just pay it, but blow it away.  

Luck is in his what, 5th year now?  He should not be making the mistakes be keeps making.  But he does.  This will haunt the Colts for years if they do this.  It is as if Isray got it in his mind 3 years ago to do this, and no matter how badly Luck plays, he will pay it.  OCD at its finest!

Luck led the league in TD passes in 2014, with 40 TDs.

13 minutes ago, Flash said:

Trading Luck would make the Colts like the Rams or the Texans. A team with talent but no QB.

Plus have we not learned from our past?  Teams with a star qb like Manning, (and Luck is no where close to Manning in his prime right now) with little else simply do not win.  Teams like Denver and New England win.  Well rounded teams.  Paying Luck, while it might assure us some 8-8 seasons and maybe a little better, is going to handicap us to the point where we will not be able to build a complete team.  And unless Luck hits Manning Prime, which is VERY iffy, we will be lucky to even make the playoffs considering how much the division is improving.  

2 minutes ago, Flash said:

If you trade Luck to Denver, they easily become the favorite to win the Super Bowl. Can't do that. You pay Luck, because as a team, we have been preparing for this. That's why we've had a quiet off season. 

Luck led the league in TD passes in 2014, with 40 TDs.

True, my bad.  That does not justify the biggest contract, by far, in NFL history.  For whatever reason, and I think a large part of this has to do with him being a Stanford Grad, Luck has this rep as a qb savant.  A genius.  And I just don't see it.  He is a very good athlete.  A great QB?   Not even close.

Just now, tweezy32 said:

Not saying I want to cuz I don't. I just want to know what do you guys think we would actually get for trading lick? How many first rounders and and other draft picks?

I think we could get a competent vet QB or a Qb from this years draft, 2-3 very good players, and at least 2 #1 picks and some additional 2nd and 3rd rounders.  I think teams would be willing to pay that much.  We should sell while that image of him still exists.  Because if he plays this coming year like he did the few games where he wasn't hurt last year (outside of the Denver game)?  We are screwed.  He has regressed imo.

9 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Just because Irsay said his contract would be big it don't mean this article has any merit. ESPN has made lots of claims that have no merit.

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I highly doubt that this article is truthful. Luck will get paid but not of this magnitude. I don't see Irsay hocking the future of the team like this. IMO this article is nonsense.

I don't know. Irsay seems to have this obsession with paying him. He did the same with Manning. It's almost like it is an ego thing with him.  "Look at me! Look at me and how much I pay my star qb!"

2 minutes ago, threeflight said:

I think we could get a competent vet QB or a Qb from this years draft, 2-3 very good players, and at least 2 #1 picks and some additional 2nd and 3rd rounders.  I think teams would be willing to pay that much.  We should sell while that image of him still exists.  Because if he plays this coming year like he did the few games where he wasn't hurt last year (outside of the Denver game)?  We are screwed.  He has regressed imo.

Those "2-3 very good players" better be very very good with that offer!!

1 minute ago, threeflight said:

I don't know. Irsay seems to have this obsession with paying him. He did the same with Manning. It's almost like it is an ego thing with him.  "Look at me! Look at me and how much I pay my star qb!"

Say what you want Irsay is not going to kill the future of the team to pay Luck this kind of contract.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Say what you want Irsay is not going to kill the future of the team to pay Luck this kind of contract.

I certainly hope not, but I think you will be surprised.  Irsay has already stated that the contract to Luck will blow people away.  And that was last year.  He has said nothing to put doubt on that.

18 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Never led the league in anything? No, he just broke just about every 3 year record known for a rookie QB,.

Luck will get top money because this off season showed how badly teams need QB's and what they will pay for unproven QB's. Osweiller, Bradford, 18M/yr. Regardless with Rodgers the best QB in the league and making just over 22M, that is the area Luck's contract will be in. The only truth I can see in this article is the guaranteed money may be the largest amount guaranteed, but no way is his contract going to be 25-30M. Remember

owners can't collude, but they talk, and remember Eli and Rivers are coming up for their contract extensions also. There is a reason when you see the top QB's they are only separated by a couple hundred thousand a year in salary. Each QB worthy gets a little more. If you paid Luck that kind of money, what would Eli get with 2 SB rings?

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Never led the league in anything? No, he just broke just about every 3 year record known for a rookie QB,.

Rookie records.  Not NFL records.  And he also broke the record for turnovers if I am not mistaken.  

Look, no one is denying Luck is VERY good when he is not playing with his head cut off.  But highest paid player and its not even close good?  Cmon.......

Rookie records.  Not NFL records.  And he also broke the record for turnovers if I am not mistaken.  

Look, no one is denying Luck is VERY good when he is not playing with his head cut off.  But highest paid player and its not even close good?  Cmon.......

The way you are describing him he is junk. Is there any more negative things you would like to bring up?

I just said he is VERY good.  Don't know how that describes him as junk.

You have no clue as to the truth of this article and yet you bring a lot of attention to the things Luck hasn't done? Maybe it would be a good idea to wait and see what the actual truth is?

7 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Well, ya learn something new every day: rookies don't play in thre NFL.

49 minutes ago, threeflight said:

I assume you are being sarcastic.  But my point still stands.  I don't know how you justify making Luck not only the highest paid player in football, but also paying him BY FAR the most guaranteed money.  It seems ever since college, his reputation has ballooned his true playing abilities to monumental proportions.  He is good, can be very good.  But he is no where close to great.  NO WHERE CLOSE.  Other than 2014, he has never ranked in the top qb's stats.  Even last year, when he wasn't hurt, he was no where close to being what I would call an elite qb.  He was airmailing passes all over the place.  Decision making was STILL POOR.

All I am saying is, we could trade him, upgrade our entire team, and not have to pay anywhere close to what he is wanting.  We will never win a SB (IMO) paying him that kind of money and handicapping our team financially this way.  

I don't think I've read anything more true.