Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Name one player you do NOT wanna see the colts draft at 18

1 hour ago, Exodus said:

Andrew Billings. Why take an interior D-lineman when our D-line is arguably our strongest position right now.

Lol maybe because Billings is going to be a special talent. Billings like stated above would with Conklin would be a fantastic pick. I'd rather have Billings as the starting NT than Parry next year! That's how badly I want him on Colts.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Exodus said:

Andrew Billings. Why take an interior D-lineman when our D-line is arguably our strongest position right now.

Lol...

I forgot Parry is an all pro and our Dline is the best in the league...

Oh wait it isn't?  Lol... flawless logic you've got there.

For the OP I have 3 so I'll go ahead and list.

Decker: because he simply isn't very good and have no use for another tackle that isn't better than what we already have.

Treadwell: if we take another receiver I'll break everything around me for about 8 hours or so.

Kelly: there's no point reaching for a center.  Especially a center who isn't first round talent to begin with.

Everyone else I'm fine with this front office taking a chance with.  That includes Floyd, Lee, Billings, Alexander, Ragland, Conklin, Henry, Elliot, Jackson III, Apple, and to a much lesser extent Spence.  Amy of these guys I'd be happy with Spence the only one where I'd really have some doubt but wouldn't be necessarily upset. 

4 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

I don't understand the dislike of Ragland on here. He's not my first choice but he will be a fine NFL player more than likely. 

Ragland's dominating play & leadership in the SEC was enough for me to conclude being a Top 1-2 LB. Jack, Smith, Wright, & Jones all fall behind this kid by "total package" LBs. Whoever ends up with RR has a potential game-changing/wrecker of a LB. And most likely sooner than later.

2 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

Ragland's dominating play & leadership in the SEC was enough for me to conclude being a Top 1-2 LB. Jack, Smith, Wright, & Jones all fall behind this kid by "total package" LBs. Whoever ends up with RR has a potential game-changing/wrecker of a LB. And most likely sooner than later.

I'm not denying his skills but the Colts have no use for Ragland. They need someone who can cover. He cant.

12 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I'm not denying his skills but the Colts have no use for Ragland. They need someone who can cover. He cant.

There's no sense in me trying to convince you or others about him. Preconceived notions are just that. We disagree. That's fine. His play in the NFL will dictate the outcome. I can wait.

16 hours ago, BOTT said:

What are the red flags with Nkemdiche other than the partying and falling out of a window?

He didn't just fall out of a window....   he fall out of a 4th story window while under the influence of synthetic marijuana...        so, we can add drugs to the list...      oh, and he didn't fall out of an open window,   I think he crashed through it....

And, as a player, he often plays like he's lost or disinterested.... has trouble finding the ball.....   this year,  he had 5 games where he had 2 tackles or less...     that shouldn't happen to a guy with talent as good as his.      Not good.

All this Ragland can't cover tight ends stuff is mostly nonsense.

In our defense the guy who covers the tight end was mostly Jerrell Freeman.     DJ's job was stuffing the run.   Sometimes he covered the tight end,   but not always and not even most often....

5 hours ago, Surge89 said:

Lol...

I forgot Parry is an all pro and our Dline is the best in the league...

Oh wait it isn't?  Lol... flawless logic you've got there.

It is. Thank you for the well thought out observation. 

5 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Lol maybe because Billings is going to be a special talent. Billings like stated above would with Conklin would be a fantastic pick. I'd rather have Billings as the starting NT than Parry next year! That's how badly I want him on Colts.

I still disagree. We need help at almost every level. I personally can't wrap my head around taking someone at a position we already have a young, solid player at.

I didnt have any major problems with Ragland overall because I felt things could be schemed up to make it work, but after watching a good couple clips on Antonio Morrison for the Florida Gators I couldn't argue with passing on Ragland in the 1st round.  Morrison had a pretty slow time at his pro day, but he's still healing from a knee injury. Totally healthy I think he'd be around 4.8.  To me he has all the same attributes Ragland has in terms of striking ability, leadership, can rush from the end as well as his ILB responsibilities, super competitive.  Play speed and overall athleticism on tape seems to be much faster than Ragland and Morrison would go between the 3rd to 6th rounds.

6 hours ago, Exodus said:

I still disagree. We need help at almost every level. I personally can't wrap my head around taking someone at a position we already have a young, solid player at.

You don't pass on potential difference makers because you have a solid player at that position.

9 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Most teams struggle covering TEs.

This needs to get more attention. Every team struggles covering Gronk, Graham, Kelse, etc...And solving the problem isn't as easy as just drafting a fast LB that covered well in college.

11 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

If the Colts have no use for him, I'd like to know why our GM, HC, and DC went to his pro day and worked him out.

9 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

This needs to get more attention. Every team struggles covering Gronk, Graham, Kelse, etc...And solving the problem isn't as easy as just drafting a fast LB that covered well in college.

If the Colts have no use for him, I'd like to know why our GM, HC, and DC went to his pro day and worked him out.

I wonder sometimes if that is a smoke screen to watch another player they are really interested in. However, I believe there is an interest in Ragland. ILB is a position of need, but I don`t see him being on the level of previous ILB`s drafted in the 1st like P. Willis and L. Keuchly. 

15 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I wonder sometimes if that is a smoke screen to watch another player they are really interested in. However, I believe there is an interest in Ragland. ILB is a position of need, but I don`t see him being on the level of previous ILB`s drafted in the 1st like P. Willis and L. Keuchly. 

Teams do do things to send out smoke screens but nothing drastic. When you send the top people from your staff to see a guy, the interest is real. No one is spending time and money to fly across the country just to send out smoke screens.

And Ragland doesn't have the athleticism of those guys, but he'll be a fine pro. He's a good run defender and pass rusher. I don't think it matters if he can cover or not. That's not what why'd you'd be drafting him.

On 4/3/2016 at 10:18 PM, danlhart87 said:

Cover who?  Why don't we fix the secondary so the ILB doesn't have to do their job?

You know he does fairly well in zone, slants, and getting to RB's in the flat.  And why would you scheme him to go man to man on any receiving target? Let the CB's and safeties get that task. Send the ILB on a Blitz Package and force an early throw.  Plenty of ways to work the D.

4 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Cover who?  Why don't we fix the secondary so the ILB doesn't have to do their job?

You know does fairly well in zone, slants, and RB's in the flat.  And why would you scheme him to go man to man on any receiving target? Let the CB's and safeties get that task. Send the ILB on a Blitz Package and force an early throw.  Plenty of ways to work the D.

Exactly. People act like its Snakes and mongooses with TEs and LBs. Like every time a TE lines up in the slot you have to put some athletic LB on him to stop him. There are multiple ways to cover and scheme for TEs.

Honestly there aren't too many bad choices at 18. I'd be happy with pretty much anyone even Floyd whom I'm not a fan of. I just hope the team has done their homework and gets it right. 

I would love for the Colts to select Zeke Elliott if he's there. Just so I could watch people on this forum have a meltdown haha 

• Darron Lee- fast but does not shed blocks well and is not a pass rusher. We would be better off picking a hard hitting physical safety to play the same position as Lee IMO .

Eli Apple- I don't see him being better than a number 3 corner in the nfl. 

Kevin Dodd- overhyped and rising because of end of season play. I do not see him as anything more than depth in the nfl when the dust settles. 

Shaq lawson- Floyd, correa, Calhoun are better pass rushers 

Will Fuller- Ted ginn 2.0

19 hours ago, krunk said:

I didnt have any major problems with Ragland overall because I felt things could be schemed up to make it work, but after watching a good couple clips on Antonio Morrison for the Florida Gators I couldn't argue with passing on Ragland in the 1st round.  Morrison had a pretty slow time at his pro day, but he's still healing from a knee injury. Totally healthy I think he'd be around 4.8.  To me he has all the same attributes Ragland has in terms of striking ability, leadership, can rush from the end as well as his ILB responsibilities, super competitive.  Play speed and overall athleticism on tape seems to be much faster than Ragland and Morrison would go between the 3rd to 6th rounds.

Jarrad Davis (next years draft) from Florida is much better than Morrison. The main things with Ragland are the instincts and physical nature. With DQ likely gone after this season this team will need physical leaders. It was only a short time ago that below avg rbs like Blount and Jonas grey were running all over us. I don't think Ragland would be the best pick at our spot but I understand the thinking and believe he is a much better player and prospect than someone like Darron Lee. 

9 minutes ago, Qcolts said:

Jarrad Davis (next years draft) from Florida is much better than Morrison. The main things with Ragland are the instincts and physical nature. With DQ likely gone after this season this team will need physical leaders. It was only a short time ago that below avg rbs like Blount and Jonas grey were running all over us. I don't think Ragland would be the best pick at our spot but I understand the thinking and believe he is a much better player and prospect than someone like Darron Lee. 

I've heard that too, but Davis is not in this years draft.  My point was I think Morrison brings a lot of the same 2 down stuff Ragland brings.  Don't get me wrong because I like Ragland, but I see Morrison doing a lot of the same things Ragland does for less of a price.  Neither one of them is all that fast, but I think Morrison seems to have a better play speed to me and brings a lot of the same thump. NFL.com compares him to Denzel Perryman.  They give him a lot of the same attributes as Ragland in terms of locker room leadership and tough as nails.  If we decided not to get Ragland in the first I think Morrison is a nice two down thumper who brings a lot of the same stuff.

If Ragland is there at 18 I think they will draft him to be honest.  The Colts have showed a lot of interest in him.

It's amazing to me how similar Donte Hightowers NFL Draft profile is to Reggie Raglands. Except Ragland can rush the passer a bit more than Hightower

Donte Hightower

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/donta-hightower?id=2533057

Reggie Ragland

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/reggie-ragland?id=2555169

As I've said before if you go the Ragland route it can work.  You just need to have an extra coverage guy you throw in the mix.  The Pats have been doing it for a while now with Hightower and Jamie Collins. There's a couple of these coverage type linebackers in this draft from what I've seen.

Texans coaches who coincidentally come from New England like this type of linebacker as well. One of the early things they did under Romeo Crennel was went out and draft Bernardrick Mckinney whose strength is not pass coverage.  They have a system in place to accomodate this style of player.