Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Robert Turbin Signs

backshoulderfade

9 hours ago, Flash said:

In high school, we ran the Wing-T offense. Robert Turbin was the 'flyback' (mix of RB and receiver) and probably not the best RB on the team. The best RB was only 5'5" and could fly, but he was too small to go onto the next level. Robert gained a huge amount of muscle mass in college. I coached JV when he was on varsity so I got to watch him play quite a bit.

That's awesome that you had a chance to coach him.  This board has some really great resources in its members.  Thanks for sharing.

On a side note, is the following excerpt accurate?

This is from Wikipedia:

"Turbin played high school football at Irvington High School in Fremont, California.  He was named first-team all-league running back as well as an all-league defensive back as a senior, and earned the league Defensive Player of the Year award. He rushed 143 times for 1,232 yards and 14 touchdowns and had nine receptions for 103 yards, and defensively, he recorded six interceptions."

I'm not questioning you or calling you out at all, I'm just wondering how he earned the first-team all-league RB accolade despite the fact he wasn't even the best RB on the team.  Looks like he averaged a little less than 9 YPC.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, azcolt said:

According to overthecap.com, this signing eliminates the likely extra 6th Round pick from Freeman, so hopefully Turbin's worthy of a 6th Round pick in 2017. Freeman for Turbin is one way to look at this signing though the many Pagano and Grigson apologists will surely disagree. In four years he has accomplished very little but to the apologists that just means he has a lot of tread left on his tires. He has had both hips surgically repaired however so that doesn't sound like a guy with a bright future.

You just telling us the the truth huh? Opening our eyes to a dark reality. Broken record club

6 hours ago, zibby43 said:

That's awesome that you had a chance to coach him.  This board has some really great resources in its members.  Thanks for sharing.

This is from Wikipedia:

"Turbin played high school football at Irvington High School in Fremont, California.  He was named first-team all-league running back as well as an all-league defensive back as a senior, and earned the league Defensive Player of the Year award. He rushed 143 times for 1,232 yards and 14 touchdowns and had nine receptions for 103 yards, and defensively, he recorded six interceptions."

I'm not questioning you or calling you out at all, I'm just wondering how he earned the first-team all-league RB accolade despite the fact he wasn't even the best RB on the team.  Looks like he averaged a little less than 9 YPC.

The except is correct. He was a very good player -- someone who could do it all. He could run, catch, block, and play defense lights out.

When he was a junior, he was the fly back, while the other player was the RB. (That is the year where the other player was considered the better RB). That year, Robert player a dual role as a RB and receiver on offense (flyback). Robert's senior year, he played RB and DB and was first-team all-league.

10 hours ago, John Waylon said:

He's an average backup. He's been in and out of Dallas and Cleveland, and it doesn't speak well for him that Dallas let him go because they've had nothing short of a circus at RB since Murray left.

I get that we decided not to be aggressive in free agency and all, but geez. We've pretty much abstained completely. We haven't even had any reported interest in free agents.

Starting to feel a little odd to me. We've got holes to plug and the draft isn't going to provide an answer to all of them.

Dallas doesn't run zone

14 hours ago, Superman said:

He's an average backup, decent catching out of the backfield. 

Looking back at that Allen contract , it's no longer perplexing as to why they put so much in year one. My thinking was they would sign either a top OL , LB or DB. Doesn't look to be the case and unless some spending is yet to come , year one of Andrew's new deal will have much more than the 16 mill he counts now. 

7 hours ago, zibby43 said:

This is from Wikipedia:

i see why grigs sign him now, he's gonna turn him into a LB.........

I'm not a huge college football guy, (so I rarely see or remember many specific players or names before going into the draft) but I do remember seeing a highlight reel of Turbin's before the 2012 draft & thought he'd be an interesting later round pick-up for the Colts back then during that draft, of course Seattle grabbed him in the 4th round before the Colts drafted Ballard. Obviously Turbin hasn't set the league on fire in his time in the league, but, anyways... here's hoping that he can resurrect his career & produce if given a chance...

2 hours ago, dw49 said:

Looking back at that Allen contract , it's no longer perplexing as to why they put so much in year one. My thinking was they would sign either a top OL , LB or DB. Doesn't look to be the case and unless some spending is yet to come , year one of Andrew's new deal will have much more than the 16 mill he counts now. 

Once I saw Allen's numbers, I figured this was the approach. I still don't like the structure of Allen's deal, not so much for the effect it has on the Colts cap situation this year, but more because of the position it puts the Colts in if Allen doesn't live up to the deal. 

If the Colts frontload Luck's deal similarly, that's another situation entirely, because everyone knows Luck will be here. But yeah, I'm thinking his new cap hit will go up to around $20m in 2016, not down. The Colts like having a flat year to year cap.

34 minutes ago, Superman said:

Once I saw Allen's numbers, I figured this was the approach. I still don't like the structure of Allen's deal, not so much for the effect it has on the Colts cap situation this year, but more because of the position it puts the Colts in if Allen doesn't live up to the deal. 

If the Colts frontload Luck's deal similarly, that's another situation entirely, because everyone knows Luck will be here. But yeah, I'm thinking his new cap hit will go up to around $20m in 2016, not down. The Colts like having a flat year to year cap.

could you elaborate please?

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

could you elaborate please?

They're paying Allen at least $11.5m in 2016. If he gets hurt or doesn't play well, too bad. His contract is basically guaranteed through 2017 because he's not going to be released after one year, which means he'll be paid $17m whether or not he can perform like a #1 TE. 

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

They're paying Allen at least $11.5m in 2016. If he gets hurt or doesn't play well, too bad. His contract is basically guaranteed through 2017 because he's not going to be released after one year, which means he'll be paid $17m whether or not he can perform like a #1 TE. 

Ok following now, 

thanks

3 hours ago, Superman said:

Yeah.. I figured that as well. But I don't share your feelings on the Allen deal. Whats the difference if he gets his guaranteed money in 2015 salary or a bigger signing bonus ? Just puts extra cap hit in year one . If he under performs , it's the same effect.  No ?

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

Yeah.. I figured that as well. But I don't share your feelings on the Allen deal. Whats the difference if he gets his guaranteed money in 2015 salary or a bigger signing bonus ? Just puts extra cap hit in year one . If he under performs , it's the same effect.  No ?

I don't think he should have received that much Year 1 cash. It should have been $7-8m, not $12m, and keep the cap and cash aligned to a reasonable degree.

50 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think he should have received that much Year 1 cash. It should have been $7-8m, not $12m, and keep the cap and cash aligned to a reasonable degree.

I hear you but I don't see the difference or maybe issue is the word. If the Colts want to use (approx) 4 mill cap space in 2016 rather than amortize it over 4 years what's the difference ? Allen gets the same amount of cash in year 1 and the Colts subsequently have that extra cash in 2017-2019. 

22 hours ago, MasterCrief said:

We do have Trey Williams, who was an UDFA last year. So we've got Gore, Turbin, Varga, and Williams currently on the roster. I'm sure we'll sign a few UDFAs at the position, but I would be fine if those four are the guys that make the final roster.

We definitely have to sign another runner. Turbin did get cut twice last year....so this isn't anything other than a numbers game for Grigson making sure we get enough bodies into camp. He isn't assured of a roster spot or anything. He had some good years in Seattle but hit some bumps the last couple. Hopefully he can find a resurgence this year and help us out. So while I doubt we draft a back....I imagine we will continue to kick the tires on some FAs and UDFAs.

5 hours ago, azcolt said:

At least this scrub is so cheap he shouldn't cost us the Freeman compensatory pick. 

Didn't you rant earlier that he would do just that? SMFH....

Yup right here:

On 3/15/2016 at 6:33 PM, Jared Cisneros said:

Ok, looks like we're fine at RB now and don't need to take one late in the draft. My question is, does this signing cost us a compensatory pick or not? If so, then I'm a bit annoyed. If not, then this is a good signing.

According to overthecap.com, this signing eliminates the likely extra 6th Round pick from Freeman, so hopefully Turbin's worthy of a 6th Round pick in 2017. Freeman for Turbin is one way to look at this signing though the many Pagano and Grigson apologists will surely disagree. In four years he has accomplished very little but to the apologists that just means he has a lot of tread left on his tires. He has had both hips surgically repaired however so that doesn't sound like a guy with a bright future.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

So do you think they did that knowing they are going 2 years no matter what to see if he is our guy and then if he doesn't work out we have the option of dumping him...instead of carrying more dead money. Its a risky signing in the sense he still hasn't produced as expected...but offset in that we know what he is capable of because he has been here 4 years. But is this a pay up front because we wouldn't take a big hit later if we cut him?

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So do you think they did that knowing they are going 2 years no matter what to see if he is our guy and then if he doesn't work out we have the option of dumping him...instead of carrying more dead money. Its a risky signing in the sense he still hasn't produced as expected...but offset in that we know what he is capable of because he has been here 4 years. But is this a pay up front because we wouldn't take a big hit later if we cut him?

All of the above. The Colts are smart with the cap, and they know they're wed to Allen for two years, no matter what. That's why, even though I don't like the structure, it's irrelevant. They knew they were putting the risk on their shoulders, it's not like they did this out of ignorance or negligence. I just disagree with it, I'm not calling them bozos.

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

I hear you but I don't see the difference or maybe issue is the word. If the Colts want to use (approx) 4 mill cap space in 2016 rather than amortize it over 4 years what's the difference ? Allen gets the same amount of cash in year 1 and the Colts subsequently have that extra cash in 2017-2019. 

It's the amount of cash in Year 1 that I have a beef with. The cap hit is just a reflection of that. So I would have preferred less cash in Year 1, which not only yields a lower cap hit but also takes a little bit of risk off of the Colts. Make it 8+9, with a rolling guarantee in Year 2,  that way it's pay as you go and you're not locking yourself into the second year. Instead, it's 12+5, which essentially guarantees Year 2 at signing, because unless 2016 is a complete disaster, you aren't cutting him.

But whatever, the Colts knew what they were doing, and have basically committed to the first two years anyways.

35 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Didn't you rant earlier that he would do just that? SMFH....

Yup right here:

•  

Are you sure? Turbin was cut twice last year....(Dallas and Cleveland) I don't think cut players signed count. Just fyi. Shouldn't effect compensatory picks in any way.

19 minutes ago, Superman said:

All of the above. The Colts are smart with the cap, and they know they're wed to Allen for two years, no matter what. That's why, even though I don't like the structure, it's irrelevant. They knew they were putting the risk on their shoulders, it's not like they did this out of ignorance or negligence. I just disagree with it, I'm not calling them bozos.

To me they know they weren't signing guys etc to be close to the cap this year regardless...so they took the hit up front to save money down the road when Luck's numbers will be bigger and when we may want to target a few FAs or re-sign our guys. Plus in case it didn't work out...they heft of the contract was already ate and it would make it a lot more palletable to walk away.

16 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Are you sure? Turbin was cut twice last year....(Dallas and Cleveland) I don't think cut players signed count. Just fyi. Shouldn't effect compensatory picks in any way.

I agree, but that's just my gut feeling.

Turbin was on the Cowboys roster at the end of the season; if he had been released prior to that, I'd have no doubt that he wouldn't be a qualifying player.

However, he didn't start the season on the Cowboys roster. I don't know if that affects the comp system. I do know that players have to be on the roster through Week 10 of the next season to qualify (for instance, if Malik Jackson were to get cut prior to Week 10, the Broncos wouldn't get a comp pick for him). Whether that applies to the player's status in the previous season, I'm not sure, but I think it's reasonable to assume that a player who bounced around between multiple teams at the start of the season wouldn't be a qualifying player. 

In any event, Turbin has nothing above a 7th round value. If someone like Louis or Toler gets signed prior to June 1, then it makes up for Turbin. The Colts could also release Turbin prior to Week 10 if they really wanted to protect their comp pick standing, but that's unlikely. His salary is guaranteed as of Week 1.