Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Robert Turbin Signs

backshoulderfade

10 hours ago, Flash said:

The except is correct. He was a very good player -- someone who could do it all. He could run, catch, block, and play defense lights out.

When he was a junior, he was the fly back, while the other player was the RB. (That is the year where the other player was considered the better RB). That year, Robert player a dual role as a RB and receiver on offense (flyback). Robert's senior year, he played RB and DB and was first-team all-league.

You don't even lie good. lol

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 hours ago, azcolt said:

According to overthecap.com, this signing eliminates the likely extra 6th Round pick from Freeman, so hopefully Turbin's worthy of a 6th Round pick in 2017. Freeman for Turbin is one way to look at this signing though the many Pagano and Grigson apologists will surely disagree. In four years he has accomplished very little but to the apologists that just means he has a lot of tread left on his tires. He has had both hips surgically repaired however so that doesn't sound like a guy with a bright future.

Did you goggle or is this just your opinion / Apologist ?  What is that suppossed to mean ? 

Howabout first my opinion he played behind Lynch & Rawls stepped up so he was expendable but for the Colts he is worth a look IMO based on a Seahawks story from Sept 2015 .

What’s at stake in training camp:

For Lynch, not a lot other than doing enough to prepare for Sept. 13. As has been the case in past seasons, Lynch’s work load will be limited both in practice and especially in preseason games, but there is no reason to think he won’t be ready when the regular season begins.

The backup job is in very good hands with Robert Turbin, who doesn’t just spell Lynch, but who also serves as the third-down back and the lead back in two-minute situations (don’t forget it was his big run early in the drive that set up a touchdown at the end of the first half of Super Bowl XLIX). Turbin also showed his versatility last season filling in at fullback when Derrick Coleman went down with a foot injury.

The Colts are turning over every rock trying to build a winning team at least we did'nt give up a first round pick ..haha:headspin:

1 hour ago, Superman said:

It's the amount of cash in Year 1 that I have a beef with. The cap hit is just a reflection of that. So I would have preferred less cash in Year 1, which not only yields a lower cap hit but also takes a little bit of risk off of the Colts. Make it 8+9, with a rolling guarantee in Year 2,  that way it's pay as you go and you're not locking yourself into the second year. Instead, it's 12+5, which essentially guarantees Year 2 at signing, because unless 2016 is a complete disaster, you aren't cutting him.

But whatever, the Colts knew what they were doing, and have basically committed to the first two years anyways.

I understand what you're saying but your going to get stuck for a couple years of a bad deal with any 26 year old guy that signs a larger type deal. If it were an older player i.e. Johnson .. Cole , you can do a deal where you can walk away after year one. I guess neither one of us was crazy about the deal but slightly different reasons. I'm Ok with the cash in year one but I think it was too rich of a contract . He has the potential to earn it and I guess you can't blame him if he didn't get the targets.. s maybe not so bad.

4 hours ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Didn't you rant earlier that he would do just that? SMFH....

Yup right here:

According to overthecap.com, this signing eliminates the likely extra 6th Round pick from Freeman, so hopefully Turbin's worthy of a 6th Round pick in 2017. Freeman for Turbin is one way to look at this signing though the many Pagano and Grigson apologists will surely disagree. In four years he has accomplished very little but to the apologists that just means he has a lot of tread left on his tires. He has had both hips surgically repaired however so that doesn't sound like a guy with a bright future.

•  

I quoted the overthecap website which had assumed he'd be paid more than peanuts. Get a life, Bert.

I like this signing... He's super cheap and has a track record as a good back-up/third down back. 

I've always liked Turbin and was puzzled when he was cut twice last year. He has a good ypc average over his career and still posted 4ypc last year, despite having to learn new offenses. He runs with authority. He catches the  ball well out of the backfield. I have a feeling he's going to be our #2 next year. jmo, though, admittedly I'm a fan. 

6 hours ago, azcolt said:

I quoted the overthecap website which had assumed he'd be paid more than peanuts. Get a life, Bert.

Wow what a witty retort! I do have a very nice life though...thanks for your concern? Perhaps that will teach you to wait and get all the details before flying off into another inane rant?

16 hours ago, dgambill said:

Are you sure? Turbin was cut twice last year....(Dallas and Cleveland) I don't think cut players signed count. Just fyi. Shouldn't effect compensatory picks in any way.

http://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

They don't think Turbin is a qualifying FA. And if their contract details are accurate, then Turbin signed a non-qualifying FA contract, just like Lowery did last year. It's basically a one year deal at vet minimum with a further reduced cap hit. That's typically what you'll see vet minimum guys sign for after June 1. 

17 hours ago, Superman said:

I agree, but that's just my gut feeling.

Turbin was on the Cowboys roster at the end of the season; if he had been released prior to that, I'd have no doubt that he wouldn't be a qualifying player.

However, he didn't start the season on the Cowboys roster. I don't know if that affects the comp system. I do know that players have to be on the roster through Week 10 of the next season to qualify (for instance, if Malik Jackson were to get cut prior to Week 10, the Broncos wouldn't get a comp pick for him). Whether that applies to the player's status in the previous season, I'm not sure, but I think it's reasonable to assume that a player who bounced around between multiple teams at the start of the season wouldn't be a qualifying player. 

In any event, Turbin has nothing above a 7th round value. If someone like Louis or Toler gets signed prior to June 1, then it makes up for Turbin. The Colts could also release Turbin prior to Week 10 if they really wanted to protect their comp pick standing, but that's unlikely. His salary is guaranteed as of Week 1.

Yeah...I got that wrong...he was released by Seattle and Cleveland before sticking with Dallas. Considering he was signed for like 700k I can't imagine his salary being high enough to earn any compensatory picks for Dallas or weighing in at all in determing ours. Dallas easily could have retained him at that level which is almost the minimum so I can't see that factoring in at all. All that even being said is he might not even make the team....he certainly didn't show much last year so there is no guarantees.

9 hours ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Wow what a witty retort! I do have a very nice life though...thanks for your concern? Perhaps that will teach you to wait and get all the details before flying off into another inane rant?

Insane rant? You just cited the same website I did and originally they said the Turbin signing would delete the 6th round pick. They learned later that he was being paid peanuts. Who knew he was such a loser. Cool it Bert. I'll try to consult you in the future because your fifty posts a day are always so well researched and thought out. 

1 hour ago, azcolt said:

Insane rant? You just cited the same website I did and originally they said the Turbin signing would delete the 6th round pick. They learned later that he was being paid peanuts. Who knew he was such a loser. Cool it Bert. I'll try to consult you in the future because your fifty posts a day are always so well researched and thought out. 

1 hour ago, azcolt said:

Inane not insane...reading comprehension is a task for you as well? You flipped out calling fans that were fond of the move "apologists" and had no facts other than an incorrect blurb to back up your baseless claims. It isn't uncommon for you as 90 percent of your posts are of that nature...quite sad.

Now 50 posts a day would have me around 10,000 and I am currently at 467, more inaccurate trite from you? In fact, I have half of what you have and a singular one holds more value than all your whining ones combined...

On 3/15/2016 at 6:06 PM, Krauses said:

Quality depth signing. Still have high hopes for varga

Seriously? High hopes? Of what, making the team? 

So we're rolling with Turbin who has only scored 1 TD (is that right, as stated above?) in 4 years? I hope that isn't true.  So Turbin, who Seattle had no interest in resigning even though Beastmode retired (that should indicate he's worthless since they drafted him and know more about him than anyone) and Gore, who is beyond ancient.  So Varga is going to be our savior? Egad.... 

20 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

You don't even lie good. lol

Here's proof for you:

In 2005, Robert Turbin was a junior at Irvington high School, also my alma mater. Below is the roster for the team, (data from Max Preps). Robert Turbin wore #6, and the other RB, Stephen Lee, (the senior) wore #2.

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/irvington-vikings-(fremont,ca)/football-fall-05/roster.htm

As I had mentioned, the other RB was smaller but very fast. He attended the Palo Alto NIKE training camp. He ran a 4.42 40-yard dash. He is listed at 5'7'', but I think he's actually smaller than that. Demarco Murray, the newly acquired Titans Running Back also attended that camp and Stephen Lee actually ran a  faster 40. He was only beat out by Jeremy Ross, a receiver that is now in the NFL.

https://iowapreps.rivals.com/cpevent.asp?Key=8783

So, for Robert Turbin as a junior, it was not a big deal to be the second best RB on the team behind a guy that was a senior and had track speed. Overall, everything worked out for Robert -- he's an NFL player.