Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Arthur Jones takes paycut

Dustin

I'm pretty confident Arthur is a difference maker when he is healthy and playing, but between all of his injuries he has racked up now, I wonder how his play will be. I wonder if it could be like a Donald Thomas situation where maybe he could play, but he wont play near as well. Injuries take a toll, but definitely wishing him the best. 

1 minute ago, UKColt13 said:

haha Optimist. They have yet to make a bad move this offseason imo.

Depends if you feel an absence of a move is a bad move in itself, a lot of people have lit the pitchforks over names not being signed. Usual fare for this time of year.

Personally I'm ok with it so far, but let's assess the body of work post draft. 

13 minutes ago, Shepman said:

I know this is a me thing mostly, but I hate seeing paycut and much prefer restructures deal.

I think this is more than fair considering the present bang for the buck the Colts received in his first two years. He can't stay on the field and will turn 30 before the year starts. Why would you want to restructure and hurt the cap down the road ?

Plus he has a chance to earn almost all or at least a portion back. 

32 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Good.  We needed to retain him because of Anderson's uncertainty.  Both he and Cole are good players...just not at the price tags they were carrying.

Good I don't even remember see Jones on the field and if he was didn't notice him we need to stop signing raven player and eagles no luck with them 

30 minutes ago, 12isthenew18 said:

Front seven and center. We can grab a MLB/OLB in the first. If not get a DT

Yeah olbs aren't the only ones who can rush the passer so if we can't get what we want at OLB we should get a bunch of linemen who specialize at pass rushing or run defending 

29 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I think this is more than fair considering the present bang for the buck the Colts received in his first two years. He can't stay on the field and will turn 30 before the year starts. Why would you want to restructure and hurt the cap down the road ?

Who says anything about hurting the cap down the road?      Where did that come from?

You restructure and keep the player because when he's healthy,  Art Jones can play.    He's an asset.

You're trying to get some bang for your buck.

1 minute ago, will426 said:

Yeah olbs aren't the only ones who can rush the passer so if we can't get what we want at OLB we should get a bunch of linemen who specialize at pass rushing or run defending

and pure pass rushers are pretty thin this year in the first round, so this might be the route they go.

Unless they go for Ryan Kelly at 18...which I could see them doing depending on who's available at the time.

41 minutes ago, will426 said:

We really need to go oline and dline heavy in draft lol  as much as I'd like a good OLB don't think we'll get who we want 

Well we have lots of holes to fill and the draft cant possibly fill all them. Not this one draft anyway. We have a big hole at S now that Lowery has gone. We have a big hole at CB with Toler being a FA. We have a big hole at OLB with the lack of depth and age of the current players at that position. We have holes at RT and RG and many would say C. Many would argue that the defensive line is thin as well. So, there's lots of needs that need to be addressed.

I was surprised by the team staying with Allen rather than Fleener. Only time will tell if that was the right decision.

2 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

Well we have lots of holes to fill and the draft cant possibly fill all them. Not this one draft anyway. We have a big hole at S now that Lowery has gone. We have a big hole at CB with Toler being a FA. We have a big hole at OLB with the lack of depth and age of the current players at that position. We have holes at RT and RG and many would say C. Many would argue that the defensive line is thin as well. So, there's lots of needs that need to be addressed.

I was surprised by the team staying with Allen rather than Fleener. Only time will tell if that was the right decision.

Ha, i think a big sentiment on the board right now is that the teams biggest hole is at the GM position...

12 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

and pure pass rushers are pretty thin this year in the first round, so this might be the route they go.

Unless they go for Ryan Kelly at 18...which I could see them doing depending on who's available at the time.

That's perfectly fine but we're gonna need some more linemen someone is bound to get hurt  since everyone in the division thinks they're gonna run in down our throats like the "MJD CJ2k Foster" days lol I really believe that's why the division hasn't been competition anymore is because they lost thier stars  and couldn't run over us anymore 

5 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

Yeah many holes everywhere but we still have a chance to pick up 2nd tier players  idk how many  picks we have this year but we need to specify on positions more. And in other positions put second tier free agents in to battle it out with our younger players 

1 hour ago, will426 said:

Good CBs will help that also.

And, we'll likely see different blitz packages.

Play-makers don't HAVE to be LBs.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Who says anything about hurting the cap down the road?      Where did that come from?

You restructure and keep the player because when he's healthy,  Art Jones can play.    He's an asset.

You're trying to get some bang for your buck.

Well then .. give me an example of the "restructure " you propose over a pay cut. By restructuring , you normally turn money due a player now (salary or roster bonus ) and turn it into another singing bonus. The result of that lowers the cap for the present year while amortizing it over the length of the contract. Thus pushing the saved present year cap money "down the road. " I was assuming this is what you were talking about when you said you prefer restructure over a payout.

Could be I'm missing something , so give me an example ( rough idea of what it would look like) to the contrary .

2 hours ago, Dustin said:

Happy to hear this, Arthur Jones is a very disruptive guy when healthy, hopefully he returns to form. i wouldn't mind throwing him at NT, Anderson       Jones       Langford    sounds pretty nasty to me (in a good way of course lol

18 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Well then .. give me an example of the "restructure " you propose over a pay cut. By restructuring , you normally turn money due a player now (salary or roster bonus ) and turn it into another singing bonus. The result of that lowers the cap for the present year while amortizing it over the length of the contract. Thus pushing the saved present year cap money "down the road. " I was assuming this is what you were talking about when you said you prefer restructure over a payout.

Could be I'm missing something , so give me an example ( rough idea of what it would look like) to the contrary .

Well...   the numbers that have been posted elsewhere is that Jones took a cut from 4.5 to 2.5....   but that he can earn the money back based on games played and other incentives...

There was no talk of any more money to Jones...     no talk of another signing bonus.     Those kind of situations are usually done on a contract like Andrew Luck is going to get.      Or the restructure that Joe Flacco just agreed to.       He's getting another big bonus in exchange for taking a smaller salary and lowering his cap hit.

I'd expect Luck to do the same thing.    He'll restructure after year 2 or so and get another big check from the Colts and take a smaller salary and lower his cap hit.      

Those kind of restructures are for premium players and NOT for guys who could be cut if they don't re-do their deal and Jones is that kind of player.      We wouldn't have brought him back if he didn't restructure.

26 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well...   the numbers that have been posted elsewhere is that Jones took a cut from 4.5 to 2.5....   but that he can earn the money back based on games played and other incentives...

There was no talk of any more money to Jones...     no talk of another signing bonus.     Those kind of situations are usually done on a contract like Andrew Luck is going to get.      Or the restructure that Joe Flacco just agreed to.       He's getting another big bonus in exchange for taking a smaller salary and lowering his cap hit.

I'd expect Luck to do the same thing.    He'll restructure after year 2 or so and get another big check from the Colts and take a smaller salary and lower his cap hit.      

Those kind of restructures are for premium players and NOT for guys who could be cut if they don't re-do their deal and Jones is that kind of player.      We wouldn't have brought him back if he didn't restructure.

I think we have a communication problem. I was referring to a post made by Sherman that said.." I know this is a me thing mostly, but I hate seeing payout and much prefer restructures deal."

I responded to that saying that a payout was the right path to dealing with Art Jones if you want to retain him. Then you respond to that post in a manner that made me think you thought a restructure was a better way to do the Jones deal. From what you say above , it seems like we have no disagreement. But I guess I'm confused as to what prompted your response to my post explaining why a restructure was NOT the way to go with Art Jones. 

Don't know if it was a good idea with Cole but I certainly like the move here.  We need the depth at DL especially with Anderson coming back from an ACL tear he may have to be eased back into the game.  

Save ourselves some cap space without having to go and cut the man.  

Like this move.  

15 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I think we have a communication problem. I was referring to a post made by Sherman that said.." I know this is a me thing mostly, but I hate seeing payout and much prefer restructures deal."

I responded to that saying that a payout was the right path to dealing with Art Jones if you want to retain him. Then you respond to that post in a manner that made me think you thought a restructure was a better way to do the Jones deal. From what you say above , it seems like we have no disagreement. But I guess I'm confused as to what prompted your response to my post explaining why a restructure was NOT the way to go with Art Jones. 

Ummm....    yeah....    communication problem.

Aren't you the guy that feared "hurting the cap down the road"....?

Wasn't that you?     Wasn't that a concern of yours?

3 hours ago, dw49 said:

What I meant was that I prefer a "pay cut" be called a "renegotiation/restructure" and I agree 100% it needed to happen.

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ummm....    yeah....    communication problem.

Aren't you the guy that feared "hurting the cap down the road"....?

Wasn't that you?     Wasn't that a concern of yours?

Ummm..uh uh ... no. I was responding to a poster saying he wished Jones could have been restructured rather than given the pay cut. I mentioned "hurting the ca down the road" as the reason why you do a payout rather than the restructure that turns 2016 money into amortized money. If you don't get it ..that's cool.