Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck is simply not that great,

James

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A QB is only as good as their O-Line. Everybody used to talk about Good Andy Daulton and Bad Andy Daulton. He was good when he got good protection and Bad when he was pressured. This year it's good Andy all the time because the O-line is playing consistently great.

Think about how many times Andrew Luck has dug us in a hole by throwing INTs. He keeps doing it,  And don't give me that injury crap. It's been this way since year 1. Most evident during the blowouts against the Pats over the last years. Well, there's no escaping the truth now. And the truth: Luck is simply not that great, because great QBs don't keep throwing away games from the start.

I believe he's been hurt most of the year and I think he's still hurt. Mariucci said similar just now on NFL network. He's laboring to throw the ball.

I have never thought he was in the great category yet.  I think you have to earn that distinction.  I do think he is very good but just has not played like it yet this year.  I think there are several factors for that and not the least of which is himself.  He would be the first to admit it.  However, I do NOT think we could find anyone better to lead this franchise.  Not in the least.

Some people on here wanting just an "average" NFL QB over Luck...my lawd.

Us colts fans have been royally spoiled the past 15 years of QBs. He's still good but certainly not elite. Maybe if we get a good staff and GM he can make that leap.

They should've went with the hot hand which was Hassleback. That way if he started stinking it up, you go back to Andrew. It's obvious that he's still injured, and it's showing in his play. He's also shell shocked, and he doesn't look confident at all. With that being said, he still holds the ball too long, stares down wrs, ect.

lets trade luck to denver for manning LOL

seriously It isnt luck. The dude is being pressured the whole game. He has like 2 seconds to make a throw without a hand in his face or a body wrapped around his body. The blame of this is the GM and coaching staff. The GM because he has yet to get a line to protect LUCK and the coaching because this team is not disciplined 

We know what this guys skill set is, we've seen how incredible he can be. This whole team is in a funk and it's a dysfunction we've seen building for a few years now. For whatever reasons one may wish to attach, Bruce Arians was far more suited toward Luck's strengths. 

It doesn't appear we're going to have a successful season, and with that will come a great deal of change. I would go so far as to say our QB is one of the few cores on this team we need to keep faith in and trust. 

Some people on here wanting just an "average" NFL QB over Luck...my lawd.

Us colts fans have been royally spoiled the past 15 years of QBs. He's still good but certainly not elite. Maybe if we get a good staff and GM he can make that leap.

Right!!  I mean.. who better than Luck.

It is like the Broncos fan complaining while being 6-0 ....SMH

This team since Pagano took over has been play a "half of football" team.  they pull it off against average teams, but not the great teams.  You have to play a FULL game.   The coaching staff cannot make "in game" adjustments.  

We know what this guys skill set is, we've seen how incredible he can be. This whole team is in a funk and it's a dysfunction we've seen building for a few years now. For whatever reasons one may wish to attach, Bruce Arians was far more suited toward Luck's strengths. 

It doesn't appear we're going to have a successful season, and with that will come a great deal of change. I would go so far as to say our QB is one of the few cores on this team we need to keep faith in and trust. 

I wish we would have retained Arians.

I think because most Colts fans jumped the gun and so did the media trying to put him up there with Brady, Peyton, and Rodgers that this season seems like a huge failure. I even had him Top 5 coming into this season and this season has been a huge disappointment I have to admit but Luck is still a franchise QB and still the best young QB in the league. He is just in a slump. He still 34-19 in the Regular Season and 3-3 in the Playoffs which is Very Good on a scale of Average/Above Average/Good/Very Good/Great. To the People bashing him saying he isn't Good, let me ask you this who do you want QBing our team then? There are still probably 25 teams in the league that would take him out of 32 over their team's QB. We just need to build around him and take the good with the bad. There has been much more good than bad. The people that are bashing Luck, have you forgot what he has brought to our team over the last 3 seasons? The Texans, Jags, and Titans would love to have him.

Here is Peyton Manning's stats through his first 4 seasons compared to what Luck's after the game today & tell me if Luck is so terrible! He has 9 more games to play for this season & 29 Ints behind what Peyton Manning had after his 4th season. Do you all think Manning was a average QB for his career?

Peyton Manning

Comp Yards TD INT

1357 16418 111 81

Andrew Luck

Comp Yards TD INT

1180 14355 97 52

I fully expect everyone to eat their crow when Luck turns his play around. Obviously his play this year has been a big disappointment. He's throwing ducks right into defenders.

BUT, I don't understand why a 7-8 game stretch of playing badly negates his accomplishments of his whole career. We've seen how good he can be. Why is everyone panicking right now?

Remember when everyone thought Garroppolo was gonna take over for Tom Brady last season? lol

http://m.pfref.com/m?p=XXplayersXXRXXRodgAa00.htm&t=1

Yeah, but Rodgers was sacked over 50 times twice in his career.

Lucks's: http://m.pfref.com/m?p=XXplayersXXLXXLuckAn00.htm&t=1

Luck's been hit more than Rodgers since the time Luck has entered the league. And it isn't by just a little bit.

I understand why people won't agree with me. I'm not looking at numbers when I make my conclusion. I'm factoring in how bad I think the Colts organization, players, and coaching staff has done outside of Luck since 2011.

Luck is a top 5 QB. There is no arguing that. We have to get an OLine in front of him. Only person I feel should be let go or restricted is Grigson.

As much as I love Luck, he's not top 5 yet. Top 5 QBs don't toss a bunch of picks. Luck is super talented and will be fine but he's not there yet

Here is Peyton Manning's stats through his first 4 seasons compared to what Luck's after the game today & tell me if Luck is so terrible! He has 9 more games to play for this season & 29 Ints behind what Peyton Manning had after his 4th season. Do you all think Manning was a average QB for his career?

Peyton Manning

Comp Yards TD INT

1357 16418 111 81

Andrew Luck

Comp Yards TD INT

1180 14355 97 52

I know but people that hate on Luck want to ignore that. Not only that lets compare Luck to all the QB's that were drafted in his class or a year before/year after, not 1 is better. Wilson has a SB win but statistically Luck smokes him. Luck smokes everyone else period in wins and stats regarding QB's drafted over the last 5 years. Dalton has never even won a Playoff game.

I think part of what Luck's problem is is not having Reggie Wayne anymore.  Reggie was his security blanket.  He doesn't look to have that relationship with anyone else.  I think even when Reggie wasn't playing or wasn't playing well Luck depended on Reggie.  I also think it's fair to start calling out TY Hilton out a little bit this year.  Until today he hadn't had a 100 yard game in 8 games and had largely been missing this season.  He hasn't taken the next step that many of us expected he would to become like a Marvin or Reggie. 

All and all the offense as a whole just doesn't look comfortable there is no flow to it.  Everything looks disjointed and forced.  That tells me the players are just flat out not comfortable with what they are doing.  That goes back to coaching.  I've come around to the idea that this coaching staff as a whole just isn't getting the job done.  I look at this a lot like the Colts in 2001, and I think much like that team a coaching change might just be what the doctor ordered.  The key is you have to get the right coach or you are just putting lipstick on a pig.  You couldn't have drawn up a better coach for what the Colts needed in 2001 than Dungy.  I am not sure that coach is going to be out there this time.  Still I think the Colts have reached the point of no return with this coaching staff.  This team is regressing and dangerously close to spiraling like the 2001 team did. 

After the head coach I don't think any position is going to be more important than the QB coach that is hired next.  I don't think Christensen is cutting it and it's showing Luck is just not progressing the way he should so that tells me the coaches aren't getting their points across.  It's a long shot but I would call Tom Moore and offer him the job and see if you can get him out of Arizona. 

The last thing I would say is it wouldn't shock me if we learn after the season Luck needs shoulder surgery. 

All of that equals Luck's regression this year to me.

There were SO MANY performances even WORSE than Lucks, that you certainly aren't being fair.  To say Luck was inadequate is misleading.  The entire team at nearly every position was inadequate at some crucial point in the game.  

Castonzo lost us the game before Luck did.  His holds and missed blocks for sacks and hits were atrocious.  He was the worst O-Lineman on the field today on either team and his holds, now that he's got his "money" makes you wonder if he's just slacking now because this isn't the guy we signed to a new contract.  

Hilton dropped multiple passes before he made some plays, mostly because the defender fell down so he made on easy and one fingertip catch.  The rest of the game he was garbage.  

Gore and Bradshaw bobbled and dropped 3 critical short catches which could have changed 2 drives.  Gore also didn't run that well aside from a couple 5+ yard runs.  All year he's underperformed collectively and his two goal line fumbles were a major part of two losses.  

Moncrief had multiple drops. Johnson had at least one drop and couldn't get open most of the game even as the third option. 

Abandoned:  Our two outstanding tight ends were ABANDONED I can only imagine by the sets and play calls.  I realize often they had to stay in and block, but we could have DOMINATED by focusing on our TE's in the pass game where they'd ALWAYS have an advantage.  But they simply haven't been used all season.  Sad. 

Our O-line has the most holds in the league by double.  That alone should get someone fired.  I think we should also consider a trade or two to get someone who at least is average and doesn't hold.  That would be a major upgrade for our line. 

The playcalling all day made no sense, even in the debacle of poor play.  The two long throws made the game falsely appear competitive.  It really wasn't and the Saints had the worst Defense in the league coming in in many categories. 

The Defense was continually put into impossible situations and then got GASHED by the run all day.  The Saints rushed for more yards than they passed I believe.  (Or at least it was that way late in the game).  When is the last time that happened?

Colt Anderson can't play safety ever again.  If we must start him, that game is lost.  He's that hopeless. 

I could easily keep going.  So yes, Luck played poorly.  But what QB could succeed with all of the above?  Stat wise Luck had over 300 yards and 3 TD's with 2ints.  

But I saved the worst for last.... the REAL reason we lost this game? 

Griff Whalen and the rest of Special teams recovery players and coaches.  Note I said "RECOVERY" where we had multiple holdings on nearly every return and where Griff had 5 different plays where the balls was, at some point, out of his hands. Some he recovered, some others recovered, some the Saints recovered.   If he is still our returner again in any game, that is grounds to fire any and all coaches with the power to stop him.  

The ONLY bright spot on the entire team today was our GLORIUS punter who put on perhaps the greatest single game display of punting in NFL history.   Sadly, with 10 punts, how can anyone expect to win a game where that happens?  

Pat McAfee is our team MVP by a VERY large margin.  

A lot of what you said is right on the money. I didn't see the game, but I'm sick & tired of seeing Coby & Dwayne not get the ball as much as they should. It's beyond criminal that Andrew & Pep have allowed this to happen. Andrew has to stop force feeding T.Y. despite him having incredible big play ability. The only thing I can say positive about Andrew today is that in the highlights I saw his arm get a bit stronger in the 2nd half. Now maybe I'm wrong, but I believe that was the case.

Also Adams & Geathers have to get back in a hurry. Anderson isn't cut out to play significant time at safety. We have to find a way to beat Carolina next Monday night.

I fully expect everyone to eat their crow when Luck turns his play around. Obviously his play this year has been a big disappointment. He's throwing ducks right into defenders.

BUT, I don't understand why a 7-8 game stretch of playing badly negates his accomplishments of his whole career. We've seen how good he can be. Why is everyone panicking right now?

Remember when everyone thought Garroppolo was gonna take over for Tom Brady last season? lol

It's really 1of 2 reasons to me...

1) a person is still peeved about the manning situation and is looking for a reason to call for lucks head

Or

2) they're use to the ridiculous success this team has had over the past 15 years and don't remember what a struggling colts QB looks like (painter doesn't count as a QB)

Luck was ordinary today, but he wasn't alone, and the situation would be much worse if we didn't have him.  Run Defence has been an improvement this year, but today they went walkabout.  With Dorsett now out with a fractured ankle, our WR depth has suddenly disappeared--except for his 1 good game @ Houston, AJ has been a total no-show--we need more than just TY and Moncrief to carry the load--did our TE's play today?  We have a very limited run game, relying totally on Gore to lead the way.  The O-line is very inconsistent, only occasionally performing well. Our Secondary are bruised and battered atm (God help us if Vontae misses time).  And don't even mention the fumbles on return.

Andrew Luck is the future of the Colts, but he can't do it all on his own back.

As much as I love Luck, he's not top 5 yet. Top 5 QBs don't toss a bunch of picks. Luck is super talented and will be fine but he's not there yet

again..picks vs. wins...which matters more?...

I don't love the QB W-L record stats...but you know Andrew is about 20 games over .500 with a team we accept is slightly above average over all....

the top 5 QBs have a bunch of wins...like Luck does

Think about how many times Andrew Luck has dug us in a hole by throwing INTs. He keeps doing it, And don't give me that injury crap. It's been this way since year 1. Most evident during the blowouts against the Pats over the last years. Well, there's no escaping the truth now. And the truth: Luck is simply not that great, because great QBs don't keep throwing away games from the start.

Just, no.... No... Stop it

Clyde is a much better coach than people realize. He has a pretty proven track record.

Personally I thought the fact he was pretty much the sole survivor of the 2011 season was...quite a few options I could use here actually...mostly negative.

If Luck isn't Top 5, name 5 better. Rodgers, Brady, then who? Please don't say Dalton or Cam because they aren't. Dalton and Cam are having a nice stretch of games but they aren't better. Big Ben and Romo have been injured and have missed more time than Luck has so they aren't either. Peyton hasn't played well either. Wilson hasn't either and the Seahawks are only 3-3.