Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck is simply not that great,

James

Think about how many times Andrew Luck has dug us in a hole by throwing INTs. He keeps doing it,  And don't give me that injury crap. It's been this way since year 1. Most evident during the blowouts against the Pats over the last years. Well, there's no escaping the truth now. And the truth: Luck is simply not that great, because great QBs don't keep throwing away games from the start.

Edited by Nadine

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a lot of it is Pep's play design. On the ugly pick, we had way too many guys in too little an area. We don't try to spread the defense out enough from sideline to sideline. We put 2 or 3 guys in one quarter of the field and that helps the defense back because they don't have to react until the ball moves. 

If we tried more to put a route in every quarter of the field (as we did under Arians) Luck would have more success. 

But with our play design allowing the coverage to double and triple up, yeah, they are gonna make plays, and it's gonna be hard to make catches. 

Luck's picks aren't always just bad throws. It's because someone can sit on his throw, or because there is a convention going on and the ball gets tipped. 

You are being completely unappreciative of your quarterback. 

if that was the same Saints team from 2 or 3 years ago, you wouldn't have got back in this game. They would have turned that, into a 40 point blow out if they still had the same firepower and consistency of the past. 

The Colts defense gave up nearly 200 yards rushing and had no answer for Brees until late in the 3rd quarter.

Andrew Luck rallied this team from behind and put 21 points on the board when they were getting blown out. 

Blame your quarterback all you want, but if it weren't for him, the Saints would have shut you out today. 

Kinda hard to throw the ball when you're being pressured. Also think about how many times he has gotten us out of that hole. Be grateful he's our QB because many other teams wish he was their QB. He is our future and will continue to get better.

Stop it. He has had just as much to do with us getting down in his comeback wins as anyone else. Just like today. He gets no more passes for the product he's putting on the field

Luck is fine. We don't win 37 games or whatever it is without him at QB. It just seems our routes are more designed for a vertical offense. That may be fine in college but in the big leagues, you take what the defense gives you. Quicker timing routes is what gets it done. He'll be fine. No changes will happen until the off season unfortunately

Although I will say, people were quick to jump the gun and proclaim him as the next Rodgers or Manning.

if that was the same Saints team from 2 or 3 years ago, you wouldn't have got back in this game. They would have turned that, into a 40 point blow out if they still had the same firepower and consistency of the past. 

The Colts defense gave up nearly 200 yards rushing and had no answer for Brees until late in the 3rd quarter.

Andrew Luck rallied this team from behind and put 21 points on the board when they were getting blown out. 

Blame your quarterback all you want, but if it weren't for him, the Saints would have shut you out today. 

He was inept for three quarters against a sorry Saints defense.  Sorry no offense.  That's unacceptable. He is wildly inconsistent...and has been bad more than good this year.  This is a bad loss for us against a weak team.  Colts are in for some serious trouble with their upcoming schedule.

He needs a personal QB coach that can work on his mechanics year in and year out. Luck is the reason why the Colts are in a big hole in the beginning of game. He might pull out miraculous comebacks but this year he is making the Colts trail early in games because of his turnovers. He need to hire a QB coach that can fix his issues. Just look at Tom Brady. He always work with his QB coach to fix his mechanics and fine tune little things. Andrew need to hire Tom House as his personal QB guru.

http://www.danpatrick.com/2015/05/20/qb-guru-tom-house-on-brady-tebow-throwing-issues/

I'm certainly not going praise him or make excuses for his poor play today. But I will reserve ultimate judgement on him until a few years down the road. Even Manning imploded in his 4th season.

The key here, is that we need a QB guru of some kind to help this kid out. I don't care if it's a personal coach, a new offensive coordinator or new head coach. Luck needs a new voice in his ear. 

... then the people who applaud him are truly delusional. Think about how many times Andrew Luck has dug us in a hole by throwing INTs. He keeps doing it, yet people overlook and/or brush it under the rug, because he is the come back kid, leader of the Cardiac Colts etc. And don't give me that injury crap. It's been this way since year 1. Most evident during the blowouts against the Pats over the last years. Well, there's no escaping the truth now. And the truth: Luck is simply not that great, because great QBs don't keep throwing away games from the start.

No one praising him but the fact of the matter is he has not been doing this crap for three years.  He had a solid rookie year, was very efficient in 2013, last year the team was an offensive juggernaut and the team is a shadow of what they were last year.  The slow starts aren't just the result of the QB, it's the result of a JV unprepared coaching staff who doesn't have the team disciplined at all.  The Colts OL continues to be garbage, killing drives left and right.  The coaching staff, and the offense as a whole unit is to shoulder the blame.

He didn't rally the team. Delvin Breaux falling down rallied the team. Otherwise this game wouldn't have even been remotely close. 

Honestly?  If I were Irsay?  Here is what I would do.

1.  Get rid or the entire coaching staff and Gm at the end of the year.  They have had 4 years of Luck (without having to pay him much) and we have stagnated.  Time to go in a new direction.

2.  Trade Luck.  Yes I know this is considered crazy, and I have told everyone and their brother that Luck is the next Manning. But.....I am just not seeing it anymore.  He is regressing in some areas and just treading water in others.  For what we would have to pay him after this year, there is just no way I can justify it.  And we could get a kings ransom for him in a trade.  Would set this team up for years to come.

3.  Draft Connor Cook from MSU.  To me he is Luck all over again.  But this time hopefully we have a OC and coaching staff that won't ruin him while he progresses in years 1-3.

4.  Hire one of these three.  Saban, Harbaugh, or Payton from New Orleans to be head coach.  If Manning retires, hire him as OC or GM.  Give him whatever he wants.

5.  With the haul we get from trading Luck, we should be set with draft picks and players while still having a very low salary structure.  Next year may not be great, but by year two of the new regime?  I would expect major progress.  Certainly more than we are seeing now.  

He needs a personal QB coach that can work on his mechanics year in and year out. Luck is the reason why the Colts are in a big hole in the beginning of game. He might pull out miraculous comebacks but this year he is making the Colts trail early in games because of his turnovers. He need to hire a QB coach that can fix his issues. Just look at Tom Brady. He always work with his QB coach to fix his mechanics and fine tune little things. Andrew need to hire Tom House as his personal QB guru.

http://www.danpatrick.com/2015/05/20/qb-guru-tom-house-on-brady-tebow-throwing-issues/

Ran out of likes

Luck is fine. We don't win 37 games or whatever it is without him at QB. It just seems our routes are more designed for a vertical offense. That may be fine in college but in the big leagues, you take what the defense gives you. Quicker timing routes is what gets it done. He'll be fine. No changes will happen until the off season unfortunately

Although I will say, people were quick to jump the gun and proclaim him as the next Rodgers or Manning.

We won 37  games because were in the worst division in the history of sports. No three teams have been consistently bad as the Jags, Texans, and Titans. If Tannehill was in this division he would have won 30 or more games as well.

Stop it. He has had just as much to do with us getting down in his comeback wins as anyone else. Just like today. He gets no more passes for the product he's putting on the field

Would you rather him get us in that hole and not dig us out or do everything he can to climb out of it?

He didn't rally the team. Delvin Breaux falling down rallied the team. Otherwise this game wouldn't have even been remotely close. 

Ohhhh trust me, if this Saints team still had the firepower we had 3 years ago, it would have been a much worse beating than this. We were stalled from turning it into a blood bath in the second half. 

If Luck doesn't throw an early pick, whalen doesn't fumble, and you guys don't pull a fake punt, You guys don't score as much. Drew Brees was not impressive. That loss is not on the defense. They were stopping him.

Not at all. I'm just frustrated with people claiming that he is Rodgers 2.0 or even elite. He is not. Right now, he is not even better than Blake Bortles (never thought I'd say that). Yet people will defend him by point shifting the focus to other factors, something they wont do when we win. Then it's all "We only win because of Luck" etc. Give me a break. Those same people focus on the comeback when they happened, and not when Luck dug us in holes. Tired of it!

LOL. No one claimed he's Rodgers 2.0 or elite if you look at his overrated thread or every time he throws a pick. If he's the reason why the colts are 3-4 now, then trade him.

Ohhhh trust me, if this Saints team still had the firepower we had 3 years ago, it would have been a much worse beating than this. We were stalled from turning it into a blood bath in the second half.

If this was the 03-07 Colts.... But it's not, it's the year 2015.

Why do you people use Tom Brady as a example when he's a complete outlier?

Honestly? If I were Irsay? Here is what I would do.

1. Get rid or the entire coaching staff and Gm and end of the year. They have had 4 years of Luck (without having to pay him much) and we have stagnated. Time to go in a new direction.

2. Trade Luck. Yes I know this is considered crazy, and I have told everyone and their brother that Luck is the next Manning. But.....I am just not seeing it anymore. He is regressing in some areas and just treading water in others. For what we would have to pay him after this year, there is just no way I can justify it. And we could get a kings ransom for him in a trade. Would set this team up for years to come.

3. Draft Connor Cook from MSU. To me he is Luck all over again. But this time hopefully we have a OC and coaching staff that won't ruin him while he progresses in years 1-3.

4. Hire one of these three. Saban, Harbaugh, or Payton from New Orleans to be head coach. If Manning retires, hire him as OC or GM. Give him whatever he wants.

5. With the haul we get from trading Luck, we should be set with draft picks and players while still having a very low salary structure. Next year may not be great, but by year two of the new regime? I would expect major progress. Certainly more than we are seeing now.

You know people can read the stuff you type right?

Who is applauding him? He was awful for the entire first half and was a big reason we lost.

That being said he still is an extremely talented QB and Irsay needs to find a staff that can get the best out of him and this team. It's becoming obvious we don't have a front office or coaching staff that can do that.

... then the people who applaud him are truly delusional. Think about how many times Andrew Luck has dug us in a hole by throwing INTs. He keeps doing it, yet people overlook and/or brush it under the rug, because he is the come back kid, leader of the Cardiac Colts etc. And don't give me that injury crap. It's been this way since year 1. Most evident during the blowouts against the Pats over the last years. Well, there's no escaping the truth now. And the truth: Luck is simply not that great, because great QBs don't keep throwing away games from the start.

Manning had the same type of season in 2001 in the last year with Jim Mora.  The Colts went 6-10 that season.  That was Manning's fourth season where he lead the league in interceptions.  The problem is the Patriots have a better head coach and team.  The Colts offensive line could not block a blind a person on a walker.  The Colts defense is giving up 350 yards a game.  Luck does have issues, but that can be corrected with better coaching and players.  Do you see how quickly the line closes around Luck when he tries to throw down field?  Also, let's not forget how the Colts wide receivers never get separation unless the defensive back falls down.  The whole team SUCKS right now.  It is one of those seasons.  There will be new coaches and a GM.  Let's leave judgment for Luck until then.

Luck is a good young qb that lacks a NFL caliber oc period!!!!! The line is serviceable with BETTER playcalling but the Colts are putting Luck in a bad spot with an oc in Pep who is basically experimenting with a playbook going against NFL caliber dcs and defenses. Don't forget Pep didn't even call the plays at Stanford and Luck also has the PITIFUL Clyde Christensen as his qb coach which doesn't help. Luck is not playing well but give him a Sean Payton type and he will shine! I'm tired of these LAME coaches getting the pass!!!