Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck is simply not that great,

James

Personally I thought the fact he was pretty much the sole survivor of the 2011 season was...quite a few options I could use here actually...mostly negative.

Peyton loves clyde. That should tell you how good of a coach he is. Tom Moore gave him the responsibility of our goal line and third down packages when tom was in his last few years here.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think about how many times Andrew Luck has dug us in a hole by throwing INTs. He keeps doing it,  And don't give me that injury crap. It's been this way since year 1. Most evident during the blowouts against the Pats over the last years. Well, there's no escaping the truth now. And the truth: Luck is simply not that great, because great QBs don't keep throwing away games from the start.

I'm sorry you didn't see the first three years of Luck's career.

It's either that or you simply don't know anything about football.      It's one or the other and I'll let you have your choice........

Otherwise,  I simply don't know what to tell you that your view is Luck really isn't that good.........

you know I was gonna stay away from the forums tonight.. disappointed with todays game. but I read the title of this thread and I just couldn't help myself. man luck played bad today. hes had a combined maybe 3 quarters this season that hes played well. I think hasselbeck would of got us a win today I really do. I think luck is 100,000 times better than hasselbeck ever thought about being in an opium induced football dream. but I still think hasselbeck would of won us the game. now why is that?? lots of things I think confidence experience swag lack of anxiety.. connor cook... wow. u know ive heard a lot of dumb things in my life but that one takes the cake.. connor cook... for real dude?? luck has played poorly for the majority of the season. youd have to be blind deaf dumb not to know that, and equally blind deaf dumb to keep pointing it out. I have a quick quiz. how many and what quarterbacks have thrown for 40+ tds???

no don't go to google and look it up because im going to tell you obviously. first one to do it was Dan marino who actually did it twice then it was kert werner then peyton manning then tom brady then manning again ok so we have dan Mario kert werner peyton manning and tom brady that's 4 total (besides luck) hmmmm. I wonder what these guys have in common.. THEIR F%&^%$ HALL OF FAMERS THATS WHAT..... you wanna know what else these guys have in common?? THEIR ALL GREAT. connor f&%$$% cook hahahahahahahaha. Luck is simply not that Great.... well I disagree I absolutely completely 100% disagree. if connor cook comes into the nfl and throws 4375 yds in his rookie season the first person to come to my house in Sarasota florida can have my home my car my wife and the computer im posting this with. if connor cook throws 40 tds by his third season you can get it all as well. Luck has played like crap so far this season big whoop. every qb has played like crap for a span hes played 5 games this year 5 games... an injury put him on the inactive in the middle of that. 5 lousy games and the most competitive game against the patriots weve played in like 8 years and were ready to trade luck to the jets for some draft picks.. man im glad some of u ppl aint the gm. not that great. not that great. ill tell you whos not that great ryan Fitzpatrick is not that great. jay cutler is not that great kirk cousins is not that great colin kaepernick is not that grear rg3 carson palmer ej manuel blaine gabber colt McCoy josh mccown nick foles alex smith matt Stafford dan orlovsky Kerry Collins Curtis painter Brandon weeden rex grossman matt moore Charlie Whitehurst ryan mallet matt cassel matt lienart  jemarcus russel joey Harrington Christian ponder brady quin matt Flynn vince young tim tebow andy Dalton has been to the playoffs 4 time and thrown 1 touchdown let me reiterate ONE, UNO andy Dalton is not that great........connor cook. SMH 2012 luck first year broke records won 11 games exciting etc lucks second year beat a lot of good teams threw 9 picks all year progressed well. lucks third year threw 40 tds 4800 yds and offense exploded all over the place. everybody (including myself) expected him to keep progressing. but instead his in a slump so far. that's part of the game if you don't realize this you don't know anything about football. the staff is probably gone after this season and if you think any HC or GM on the PLANET would trade Andrew luck you are seriously delusional and you should probably consider another hobby other than watching football. maybe frisbee or ping pong or something. every great HOF qb in the league has struggled at some point. where have you been???

Honestly? If I were Irsay? Here is what I would do.

1. Get rid or the entire coaching staff and Gm at the end of the year. They have had 4 years of Luck (without having to pay him much) and we have stagnated. Time to go in a new direction.

2. Trade Luck. Yes I know this is considered crazy, and I have told everyone and their brother that Luck is the next Manning. But.....I am just not seeing it anymore. He is regressing in some areas and just treading water in others. For what we would have to pay him after this year, there is just no way I can justify it. And we could get a kings ransom for him in a trade. Would set this team up for years to come.

3. Draft Connor Cook from MSU. To me he is Luck all over again. But this time hopefully we have a OC and coaching staff that won't ruin him while he progresses in years 1-3.

4. Hire one of these three. Saban, Harbaugh, or Payton from New Orleans to be head coach. If Manning retires, hire him as OC or GM. Give him whatever he wants.

5. With the haul we get from trading Luck, we should be set with draft picks and players while still having a very low salary structure. Next year may not be great, but by year two of the new regime? I would expect major progress. Certainly more than we are seeing now.

set down the pipe...... and slowly back away.

Conner Cook? :facepalm:

2) they're use to the ridiculous success this team has had over the past 15 years and don't remember what a struggling colts QB looks like (painter doesn't count as a QB)

Luck resembles Painter of late and behind a much better line than Curtis played behind.

Painter through 9 games - Luck through just 5.

INT:  Painter 9 / Luck 9

AVG per completion:  Painter 6.3 / Luck 6.7

PCT:  Painter 54.3 / Luck 56.2

Sacks : Painter 16 / Luck 12

Luck resembles Painter of late and behind a much better line than Curtis played behind.

Painter through 9 games - Luck through just 5.

INT: Painter 9 / Luck 9

AVG per completion: Painter 6.3 / Luck 6.7

PCT: Painter 54.3 / Luck 56.2

Sacks : Painter 16 / Luck 12

Painter has 6 career tds. Get real man

Honestly?  If I were Irsay?  Here is what I would do.

1.  Get rid or the entire coaching staff and Gm at the end of the year.  They have had 4 years of Luck (without having to pay him much) and we have stagnated.  Time to go in a new direction.

2.  Trade Luck.  Yes I know this is considered crazy, and I have told everyone and their brother that Luck is the next Manning. But.....I am just not seeing it anymore.  He is regressing in some areas and just treading water in others.  For what we would have to pay him after this year, there is just no way I can justify it.  And we could get a kings ransom for him in a trade.  Would set this team up for years to come.

3.  Draft Connor Cook from MSU.  To me he is Luck all over again.  But this time hopefully we have a OC and coaching staff that won't ruin him while he progresses in years 1-3.

4.  Hire one of these three.  Saban, Harbaugh, or Payton from New Orleans to be head coach.  If Manning retires, hire him as OC or GM.  Give him whatever he wants.

5.  With the haul we get from trading Luck, we should be set with draft picks and players while still having a very low salary structure.  Next year may not be great, but by year two of the new regime?  I would expect major progress.  Certainly more than we are seeing now.  

I agree with your point 1, and strongly disagree with the others (appart from Manning as OC, IF he wants to coach).

Think about it like this: At Stanford, Pep Coached Andrew up as much as he [Pep] could. Andrew was HIS safety blanket there in College. There was nothing else Pep could offer Andrew anymore. How could he when Luck knew the playbook as much, if not more than Hamilton?

Fast forward to Pep's hiring. With Ryan Grigson assuming the transition from Arians to Hamilton would be seamless, with no kinks, based on their Stanford College success/connection together..along with a couple of other Stanford standouts, thanks to Luck. They know how to work together, so the change from the NCAA ranks to the NFL elite sho be no issue, so you'd think.

Fast forward to season 1, 2, and 3..The almighty Andrew Luck has made come from behind miracle wins so many times that it becomes the norm. As well as for the opposition. Instead of Chuck preparing his team as well as he should..or capable of more like it, he fears not, because he has the popular "grit" lecture speech in his back pocket for if they win, and a handful of excuses for if they don't.

Nothing changed seasons 1 through 3, except for a step further in playoffs and the same season record. Nothing changed scheme-wise, because Coordinators were all over the place trying to make $ h i t work.

Players only developed so far, now everything seems to be at a standstill. Everyone holding their breath to see what or who gives. They'll keep chugging along, because they're professionals, barely getting wins or losses the remainder of the way. I'm not holding MY breath though.

Turned on NFL Network for three seconds. "Will the Colts start Matt Hasselbeck next week"?

Let's see, Luck has carried a putrid team to the playoffs for three straight years, and through everything probably will again this year. Yes,, let's bench him for a 40 year old based on 5 games, severall of which he has been playing injured. Guess that's enough TV for the week.

Bench Pep, not Luck.

Who is applauding him? He was awful for the entire first half and was a big reason we lost.

That being said he still is an extremely talented QB and Irsay needs to find a staff that can get the best out of him and this team. It's becoming obvious we don't have a front office or coaching staff

post-26093-0-24068100-1445863650_thumb.j

I look at Luck's struggles much differently than some do. To me it confirms what many of us have been saying for the past three years. Without Luck, this team might have won 3-4 games a year. If Luck isn't playing at an elite level, this team is no better than Jacksonville. You have nothing else to fall back upon. Luck isn't playing at a high level and you are seeing the reality of the situation. Once Grigson's and Chuck's meal ticket is gone, you now see how bad this team really is. Throughout history, elite level QBs have struggled for stretches. Go back and look at Roethlisberger at different stretches in his career. The difference is they have defenses and running games that can pick up the slack. They'll get big plays out of their special teams. They have competent coaching. Luck has none of that. With the Colts, it's the QB or nothing.

Honestly?  If I were Irsay?  Here is what I would do.

1.  Get rid or the entire coaching staff and Gm at the end of the year.  They have had 4 years of Luck (without having to pay him much) and we have stagnated.  Time to go in a new direction.

2.  Trade Luck.  Yes I know this is considered crazy, and I have told everyone and their brother that Luck is the next Manning. But.....I am just not seeing it anymore.  He is regressing in some areas and just treading water in others.  For what we would have to pay him after this year, there is just no way I can justify it.  And we could get a kings ransom for him in a trade.  Would set this team up for years to come.

3.  Draft Connor Cook from MSU.  To me he is Luck all over again.  But this time hopefully we have a OC and coaching staff that won't ruin him while he progresses in years 1-3.

4.  Hire one of these three.  Saban, Harbaugh, or Payton from New Orleans to be head coach.  If Manning retires, hire him as OC or GM.  Give him whatever he wants.

5.  With the haul we get from trading Luck, we should be set with draft picks and players while still having a very low salary structure.  Next year may not be great, but by year two of the new regime?  I would expect major progress.  Certainly more than we are seeing now.  

haha Connor Cook couldn't carry Luck's jock strap. Thank God you aren't our GM. He is not Luck all over again. What are you watching?

What do the Colts do with the bucket of money they have to pay Luck next year? Yes the OL is not good but when he has protection he  gives his location away by staring at the receiver and apparently is uncoachable to learn how to stop doing that. He still throws the ball high as I  have posted long ago. Add to this there are no designed run plays for him and that would have been mandatory yesterday. All teams with runners and Luck is one of the best, have running plays for their QBs. Luck needs to stop smiling at everyone and start screaming like Brady.

So I was called a troll for saying this in training camp when he was throwing multiple ints a practice. But its just practice. How u play is how u practice, and no top qb throw that many ints in practice.

I should be apologized to for how I've been treated by this board

I'm sorry and this has me laughing. I've been a member of this forum for years. You don't get apologizes in here lol I'll apologize to you though

Could be Connor Cook, could be someone else.  I used him as an example of a good young qb to try and build on and who we do not have to pay a huge amount of money too.  The point is he would be just one draft pick out of a plethora of picks and players that we could get for Luck.  Our eggs would not all be on one basket like they are about to be.  

Everyone here talks about Luck and they say "yes he is great".  Is he top 5? "Well no, but he is great".  I'm sorry, but even Luck at his BEST was still a turnover machine.  That is not great.  Great is what Aaron Rogers is. Tom Brady is.  Manning in his prime is. That is great.  Luck is not anywhere close to that.  Could be be someday?   At one time I would have said very possible, but I don't see it, at least right now.  Right now he is Jay Cutler great.  

And you people want to pay $25 MILLION a year for that?  Just smh.

I'm not saying Luck is not a good young qb who could get better.  I'm saying I do not want to straddle my team with a 7 year contract at $25 M per, making him him the HIGHEST PAID PLAYER IN THE NFL (I;m still not sure how or why he deserves to be paid that way), hoping he reaches his potential someday, when there are other ways to go about building a winner.  We have had how many years of Peyton and 4 now of Luck.  Basically pinning it all on the QB.  I think it should be very obvious by now, that is not a consistent way to build a winner.

Think about how many times Andrew Luck has dug us in a hole by throwing INTs. He keeps doing it,  And don't give me that injury crap. It's been this way since year 1. Most evident during the blowouts against the Pats over the last years. Well, there's no escaping the truth now. And the truth: Luck is simply not that great, because great QBs don't keep throwing away games from the start.

Andrew Luck is very talented and intelligent. But, make no mistake, no person has ever achieved greatness by him or her-self. Even self-motivation is not enough. Every person who achieved greatness has a good coach (or coaches) to reach their potential. Bad coaching, or no coaching at all, leads to practicing how to fail in the same way, over and over again. For example, continually watching game films and not seeing the important patterns, because nobody else (including coaches) sees them either, even if those coaches knew how to overcome those patterns (which they don't seem to).

So I was called a troll for saying this in training camp when he was throwing multiple ints a practice. But its just practice. How u play is how u practice, and no top qb throw that many ints in practice.

I should be apologized to for how I've been treated by this board

Good luck with that. lmao

I'm sorry and this has me laughing. I've been a member of this forum for years. You don't get apologizes in here lol I'll apologize to you though

I've been through a lot here. People actually mocking me for saying Luck is good but he's not a top 5 qb. How crazy does that look now?

Luck is good, but the division and actual luck in the postseason last yr(getting Noodle Arm Peyton) in cold weather and avoiding Pittsburgh gave an unfair perception of Luck and the team as a whole. This was never a legitimate AFCCG team. The final score in the CG shouldve been proof of that.

Luck has always had overrated mechanics. He was never the perfect qb. He always needed work. The problem is the organization seems to treat him like a HOFer instead of the 4yr player he is. He needs better coaching.

I never thought Luck was a better prospect than Carson Palmer. Palmer has beautiful mechanics, Luck does not.

Can't stop the run. Can't run the ball. Can't pass protect, too many hurried throws... Can't win in the playoffs. Too many picks in the playoffs....

These were all comments that were made on this board in 2010.

Yup, pretty much. But we actually can rush the football.  For some reason, the Colts won't commit to it.  Gore has 9 carries for 48 yards.

Peyton loves clyde. That should tell you how good of a coach he is. Tom Moore gave him the responsibility of our goal line and third down packages when tom was in his last few years here.

1. I take any player comment about them loving a coach with a grain of salt.   Especially Peyton, because he's not likely to publicly badmouth anyone. 

2. The 2011 season was also far from a ringing endorsement for him...to put it nicely.  

I can appreciate that we have different opinions of him, but I'd rather see him off the staff sooner than later.

1. I take any player comment about them loving a coach with a grain of salt. Especially Peyton, because he's not likely to publicly badmouth anyone.

2. The 2011 season was also far from a ringing endorsement for him...to put it nicely.

I can appreciate that we have different opinions of him, but I'd rather see him off the staff sooner than later.

Who was talking about 2011? Bill walsh couldn't have won with that team

I doubt very seriously Clyde Christensen actually coached Peyton Manning. If he loves him so much, why did he got to Cuttcliffe for help when he needed help?

If a qb coach is so good, why does Brady go to 3rd parties for help. Luck definitely needsbto go see Tom House. I think Whitfield is Overrated, but go back to him. Go to anyone. Just get the mechanics fixed

Who was talking about 2011? Bill walsh couldn't have won with that team

I am because 2011 was Clyde's biggest opportunity to show some sort of acumen as an Offensive Coordinator.  It's true that Walsh couldn't have won with that team, but Bill Walsh wouldn't have had Curtis Painter throwing the ball 40+ times per game trying to run the offense the same way Peyton did.  The offensive scheme was not changed or modified until Orlovsky took over.

Don't get me wrong, I know Clyde is not the OC, but that debacle did very little to give me any confidence in his coaching ability, and the regression of Luck has only made that opinion worse. 

The pick at the end of the first half in the Saints' red zone was so crucial, and so terrible. He threw it into traffic, while there was a wide open checkdown option right in the middle of the field that would've been and easy TD. Part of it was Rob Ryan doing a good job disguising coverages, part of it was bad design, and part of it is terrible decision making on Luck's behalf. All that said, it doesn't seem like it's moving in the right direction, and we have to go to Carolina next week and play on Monday night. Ouch.

As much as I love Luck, he's not top 5 yet. Top 5 QBs don't toss a bunch of picks. Luck is super talented and will be fine but he's not there yet

Not true....

Peyton(Yrs 1 to 4)............................ Luck(Yrs 1 to 4)

TD:  111............................................97(Thru 5 games)

INT: 81..............................................52 (Thru 5 Games)

Brady(Yrs 1 to 4)............................ Luck(Yrs 1 to 4)

TD:  97............................................97(Thru 5 games)

INT: 52..............................................52 (Thru 5 Games)

Rodger(Yrs 1 to 4(counting only his 1st 4 years as a starter)............................ Luck(Yrs 1 to 4)

TD:  137...............................................................................................................97(Thru 5 games)

INT: 37..................................................................................................................52 (Thru 5 Games)

Wanna hear wants ironic about all of these QBs, every single one of them, their 4th year was their WORST year INT wise.  Every single one of them threw the most interceptions in a single season of their career in their 4th year.....Only 2 of them threw for 40+ TDs in a season in their first 4 years(Rodgers, Luck)

Only one of these QBs came into a team that was completely rebuilt the year they were drafted (Luck)

Luck is currently having issues.  We all know this, but to say hes junk and needs traded or benched for Matt is just PLAIN STUPID.  He will pull out of it.  You know how many teams would love to have Luck?

Just incase anyone was wondering:

Yr 4 Manning: 28 TDs, 26 INTs

Yr 4 Brady: 26 TDs 14 INTs

Yr 4 Rodges: 28 TDs 13 INTs