Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck is simply not that great,

James

I agree. The play calling got a bit better in the 4th and the OL did a bit better too and Luck came alive. Pep is hurting Luck.

bun every game luck has played in the playcalling has gotten better in only the last 8 minutes of a game. By then not enough time to come back it's getting so annoying

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was the worst player on the field last night. Well, maybe him and Greg Toler.

I don't get how people don't see this.  Imagine if Luck didn't throw a INT last night.  Play that game out minus the 3 INT and the Colts win going away.  Even if they only score 6 points in 3 quarters the score would have been at worst 13-6 going into the 4th.  The defense played lights out last night minus a few Toler plays.  Luck's heroics in the 4th would not even be needed if he doesn't screw the pooch in the first 3.

Cam is playing don't beat ourselves ball.  He didn't play particularly well all night but not turning the ball over (sans the pick, fumbles happen in rain games) and making a play here or there is enough to win most games in the NFL.  Why no one on these boards seem to get that is beyond me.  Start looking at Luck for what he's doing now, not what he's done.  This defense is SOLID but they are being put in terrible positions way too much!

"Great"? He is not even good. Something is wrong and the Colts refuse to adjust and fix. 49ers bench Kaepernick. Bench Luck against two "easier" teams to perhaps shock him for lack of a better word. I don't say Luck believes he can't be benches I am saying the Colts are losers and no team suits up to be losers when you have a very solid back up QB.

I really wish I had an explanation for his struggles because outside of his injury, there really isn't a logical explanation. Some of the greatest QB's to ever play this game have had bad season's and it appears Luck is in the midst of one of those right now. As a fan, you hope that he can muster up enough to get this team into the post-season and then maybe turn it around.

Did his girlfriend break up with him?

I really wish I had an explanation for his struggles because outside of his injury, there really isn't a logical explanation. Some of the greatest QB's to ever play this game have had bad season's and it appears Luck is in the midst of one of those right now. As a fan, you hope that he can muster up enough to get this team into the post-season and then maybe turn it around.

bun every game luck has played in the playcalling has gotten better in only the last 8 minutes of a game. By then not enough time to come back it's getting so annoying

Were really blaming play calling for Luck's terrible passes?! There is no OC who could do anything with luck right now. He can't hit wide open, motionless receivers. He can't scan the field and see TY wide open with nobody within 15 yards. But yes, let's blame the oc.

Holy goodness the fans here are looking more and more like pats fans and their ridiculous excuses for brady.

Believe it or not, my wife, who follows the Colts because of me but who is not a huge football fan, looked at him last week and said exactly that.  She asked if his wife or gf broke up with him because to her, he seemed really out of it and depressed.  In looking at it, he does seem to lack the fire we saw from him the past few years.  Not to mention he has lost major velocity on throws.

Were really blaming play calling for Luck's terrible passes?! There is no OC who could do anything with luck right now. He can't hit wide open, motionless receivers. He can't scan the field and see TY wide open with nobody within 15 yards. But yes, let's blame the oc.

Holy goodness the fans here are looking more and more like pats fans and their ridiculous excuses for brady.

Luck has gone from the most accurate passer I have ever seen in college to one where I feel relieved if he hits his receiver anywhere close to the catching zone.  To me, he is guiding the ball, throwing it like you would a paper airplane, rather than really throwing it.  He has never really flung the ball like the top passers, a Fouts or Rogers or Bert Jones, I mean to me he has always had kind of a weird, lot of palm on the ball/kind of baseball throw delivery, but right now he is REALLY not confident at all in how he will get the ball from point A to point B.

Luck has gone from the most accurate passer I have ever seen in college to one where I feel relieved if he hits his receiver anywhere close to the catching zone.  To me, he is guiding the ball, throwing it like you would a paper airplane, rather than really throwing it.  He has never really flung the ball like the top passers, a Fouts or Rogers or Bert Jones, I mean to me he has always had kind of a weird, lot of palm on the ball/kind of baseball throw delivery, but right now he is REALLY not confident at all in how he will get the ball from point A to point B.

The man is hurt. Consider this (I posted this over in Andrew Luck's Play (Merge) : Hamilton calls the entire game. It's 7:15 left in the 4th quarter and Colts go to hurry up. What happens? Luck is in control of the hurry up. They score 20 unanswered points to go ahead, and then tie. What happens next? Hamilton goes back to his play calling. They lose the game. If anyone didn't notice this, well, you didn't notice.

I DID !

There isn't a logical explanation?!?     Seriously?

1.     He's hurt.

2.     He plays with a very poor offensive line

3.     He plays with a substandard running game.

4.     He plays for an average o-coordinator who often makes the game much harder than it has to be.

5.     He's playing his heart, forcing mistakes,  trying to keep his team in the playoff race and trying to save the job of the coaching staff.

Do you really need more reasons than that?    I sure hope not......

The man is hurt. Consider this (I posted this over in Andrew Luck's Play (Merge) : Hamilton calls the entire game. It's 7:15 left in the 4th quarter and Colts go to hurry up. What happens? Luck is in control of the hurry up. They score 20 unanswered points to go ahead, and then tie. What happens next? Hamilton goes back to his play calling. They lose the game. If anyone didn't notice this, well, you didn't notice.

I DID !

Honestly, he looked ok to me.  Never saw him wince or move his shoulder around like he was in pain.  Doesn't look like he is wearing any extra protection on his ribs either, like you see qbs do when they play with broken ribs.  He has ALWAYS committed a lot of turnovers and made some bad decisions. The first two games of this year he did as well, and he wasn't hurt then.  To me, he is just stayed the same in some areas of his progress, and regressed in others.  His decision making is worse than Jay Cutler.  Think about that.

Honestly, he looked ok to me.  Never saw him wince or move his shoulder around like he was in pain.  Doesn't look like he is wearing any extra protection on his ribs either, like you see qbs do when they play with broken ribs.  He has ALWAYS committed a lot of turnovers and made some bad decisions. The first two games of this year he did as well, and he wasn't hurt then.  To me, he is just stayed the same in some areas of his progress, and regressed in others.  His decision making is worse than Jay Cutler.  Think about that.

If you're equating Andrew Luck to Jay Cutler, man ... I've got some ocean front property in Arizona. Interested?

1.     He's hurt.

4.     He plays for an average o-coordinator who often makes the game much harder than it has to be.

5.     He's playing his heart, forcing mistakes,  trying to keep his team in the playoff race and trying to save the job of the coaching staff.

1.  He looks fine to me, and he wasn't hurt the first two games of the year when he was terrible.

2.  The line has actually been ok since the 3rd game of the season or so.  Matt H seemed fine with it.  Last night it was great.  

3.   Running game this year has been awesome.  In years past you are right.  

4.  This I 100% agree with,

5.  I think that is a part of it.  But more so I just think he is in a deep slump, his confidence is shattered, and he is not as football smart as we all thought.  That throw last night, the last one before OT that should have been picked off?  A third grader doesn't make that throw.  You are gauranteed OT, to make a throw like that was as bad as I have ever seen.  

If you're equating Andrew Luck to Jay Cutler, man ... I've got some ocean front property in Arizona. Interested?

I said his decision making is Jay Cutleresque.  Considering he has more turnovers than Cutler the past 3 years, I don't think that is a stretch.  Did you see that throw he made on 3rd down right before OT?  The one that should have been intercepted?  Total brain dead.

I said his decision making is Jay Cutleresque.  Considering he has more turnovers than Cutler the past 3 years, I don't think that is a stretch.  Did you see that throw he made on 3rd down right before OT?  The one that should have been intercepted?  Total brain dead.

Seems nothing is going to change your mind. So, I'll just leave it at that. Luck isn't the one who's "total brain dead", though.

1.     He's hurt.

Honestly, I think you can only point to 2 and 4 right now. And as bad as the offensive line has been over the past 4 seasons, there have been times where they have been more than adequate for Luck, especially last night. He also didn't show any physical signs of playing hurt. Two of his INT's were just flat out bad reads and throws among some of the other wide open throws he missed. Even last week, his throws were just late or bad reads. If he is THAT hurt, he doesn't need to be playing. He's in some sort of mental funk that he can't seem to shake right now.

Seems nothing is going to change your mind. So, I'll just leave it at that. Luck isn't the one who's "total brain dead", though.

Andrew Luck is my favorite player in the league.  Bar none.  I love the Colts.  I have told everyone and their brother the past 4 years that unless something drastic happens, Luck would be one of the greatest qbs of all time.  But this year?  I am sorry, I cannot defend him.  He is playing at a Curtis Painter level.  He has been brutally bad.  I love the Colts, but I do see things with open eyes and without the homer glasses on.

Andrew Luck is my favorite player in the league. Bar none. I love the Colts. I have told everyone and their brother the past 4 years that unless something drastic happens, Luck would be one of the greatest qbs of all time. But this year? I am sorry, I cannot defend him. He is playing at a Curtis Painter level. He has been brutally bad. I love the Colts, but I do see things with open eyes and without the homer glasses on.

Look. I'm not saying Andrew doesn't deserve some of the criticism. He does. But, not at the level some here are trying to portray. There are many circumstances surrounding this teams flaws. Many. But hosing our QB play at every turn of the game just isn't the correct way of evaluation. Believe me, I understand the frustration from our fans. I do. I get it. But in order to fix the problems, the solution has to come first. So far, that has not happened. If, and when it does, the Colts will be all the more ... well ... the Colts that everyone expects them to be.

Agreed?

There isn't a logical explanation?!? Seriously?

1. He's hurt.

2. He plays with a very poor offensive line

3. He plays with a substandard running game.

4. He plays for an average o-coordinator who often makes the game much harder than it has to be.

5. He's playing his heart, forcing mistakes, trying to keep his team in the playoff race and trying to save the job of the coaching staff.

Do you really need more reasons than that? I sure hope not......

1. Explain his poor passes for the past 3 years

2. He's always had a poor line

3. See above, this years is way better

4. Same as 2, had it his whole career

5. He's forcing what doesn't need forced, he doesn't take the easy throws, the open throws, the higher percentage throws. He doesn't look defenders off, he doesn't pump fake, he stares down his receivers.

What's your next excuse? He is not accurate. He has always overthrown, underthrown, and thrown behind his receivers.

1.  He looks fine to me, and he wasn't hurt the first two games of the year when he was terrible.

2.  The line has actually been ok since the 3rd game of the season or so.  Matt H seemed fine with it.  Last night it was great.  

3.   Running game this year has been awesome.  In years past you are right.  

4.  This I 100% agree with,

5.  I think that is a part of it.  But more so I just think he is in a deep slump, his confidence is shattered, and he is not as football smart as we all thought.  That throw last night, the last one before OT that should have been picked off?  A third grader doesn't make that throw.  You are gauranteed OT, to make a throw like that was as bad as I have ever seen.  

We see a much different game.....

1. Explain his poor passes for the past 3 years

2. He's always had a poor line

3. See above, this years is way better

4. Same as 2, had it his whole career

5. He's forcing what doesn't need forced, he doesn't take the easy throws, the open throws, the higher percentage throws. He doesn't look defenders off, he doesn't pump fake, he stares down his receivers.

What's your next excuse? He is not accurate. He has always overthrown, underthrown, and thrown behind his receivers.

Wow.     I'd cut that guy today!

No need to trade him,  who in their right mind would ever want the QB you describe.

I don't know how you've put up with such terrible QB play since Luck arrived.

Honestly, I think you can only point to 2 and 4 right now. And as bad as the offensive line has been over the past 4 seasons, there have been times where they have been more than adequate for Luck, especially last night. He also didn't show any physical signs of playing hurt. Two of his INT's were just flat out bad reads and throws among some of the other wide open throws he missed. Even last week, his throws were just late or bad reads. If he is THAT hurt, he doesn't need to be playing. He's in some sort of mental funk that he can't seem to shake right now.

Luck is not throwing the ball with much velocity. That reverts to being hurt to some degree. And, of course, not getting the ball to receivers at times, messes with your psychological analysis of play. The combination of both along with horrible play calling would tend to throw off even the greatest QBs. Remember the problems Peyton dealt with his injuries? It's along those lines. However, Manning had a much better and experiential outlook as to how and correct. Cut some slack for a while, and see what develops.

Wow. I'd cut that guy today!

No need to trade him, who in their right mind would ever want the QB you describe.

I don't know how you've put up with such terrible QB play since Luck arrived.

Bravo, you can't defend it so you insult it. He's far to inconsistent and needs to get his stuff together or he won't be a colt in a few years if he continues tob play like this and learn to correct his mistakes. It's always the same thing from him every game. At some point you'd think he would fix it. I don't think he can at this point.

never said luck wasn't the blame for his passes regardless of his passes the playcalling still is easy to stop. I mean really the same crap happened last year and last year he was seeing the field we still weren't playing a full game so why wouldn't people be blaming the playcaller

never said luck wasn't the blame for his passes regardless of his passes the playcalling still is easy to stop. I mean really the same crap happened last year and last year he was seeing the field we still weren't playing a full game so why wouldn't people be blaming the playcaller .. He can't scan the field because he's scared to get hit oh who's fault is that he got hit in the first place peps playcalling vs the blitz..then when lucks injured he decides he wants to use west coast based schemes then luck comes back and he throws them out...so you tell me other than the turn overs which luck throws and which he himself admits to doing what about these playcalls look good for our offense? Has pep once taking the blame for not helping us get the right plays in? Has he once tried to help settle luck down and make HIM comfortable and not force his offense on luck? Oh okay when you find out lemme know bro

Pep isn't the one who has to go in front of the cameras.  I do not believe pep is the answer, but Luck is definitely showing that he cannot throw a good ball consistently and that is going to ruin anyones play calling.  How do you know he hasn't tried to help Luck get into this offense, furthermore he has been in this offense for 4 years, if he can't adjust to it, then it is Luck who is the problem and not Pep.  The underneath throws and dump offs have ALWAYS been there, I see them every single game.  It is Luck who is not making the correct reads and decisions on who to throw to.  When it comes down to it, it is Luck who is on the field making the decisions. When i see a receiver or Gore on the underneath that can get a first down and Luck throws deep to TY on a 3rd and short,  that is all the evidence I need to condemn Luck more than the OC.

I am not defending AL's play. ... but I really hope INDY has not "David Carr" d. .. Andrew Luck. He has been hit A Lot. Smdh

This is theory, though long predicted, it's starting to actually manifest. The thing is, to some extent Luck is doing it to himself.

Pep isn't the one who has to go in front of the cameras. I do not believe pep is the answer, but Luck is definitely showing that he cannot throw a good ball consistently and that is going to ruin anyones play calling. How do you know he hasn't tried to help Luck get into this offense, furthermore he has been in this offense for 4 years, if he can't adjust to it, then it is Luck who is the problem and not Pep. The underneath throws and dump offs have ALWAYS been there, I see them every single game. It is Luck who is not making the correct reads and decisions on who to throw to. When it comes down to it, it is Luck who is on the field making the decisions. When i see a receiver or Gore on the underneath that can get a first down and Luck throws deep to TY on a 3rd and short, that is all the evidence I need to condemn Luck more than the OC.

Yes 1 out of the 4 options is always there for luck underneath when he passes thing is he's rushing because he's afraid to get hit. Wanna know why because the line got him hit and the 5-7 step drops also played a part..so 1 if you're scared to get hit you look to your first option don't go through your reads..and then there's the times when he does have time to go through them and makes the bad decision..and there's also the times when the routes are 15 yards downfield and he needs 3 yards for a first and no1 gets open. Did you watch the game last night when luck left that pocket he saw the field perfectly and made good decisions..when he stood in it he started faltering..as a coach or coordinator you see the strengths and weakness and try to strengthen him yetttt is he making luck more comfortable in the pocket? Does luck look comfortable in the pocket to you? And for the last time I'm not disregarding lucks struggles we all see it but you cannot sit here and say pep isn't calling a good game these games are being called wayyyy differently than last year and when Mh was in if you can't see that you're choosing to be blind

Pep isn't the one who has to go in front of the cameras. I do not believe pep is the answer, but Luck is definitely showing that he cannot throw a good ball consistently and that is going to ruin anyones play calling. How do you know he hasn't tried to help Luck get into this offense, furthermore he has been in this offense for 4 years, if he can't adjust to it, then it is Luck who is the problem and not Pep. The underneath throws and dump offs have ALWAYS been there, I see them every single game. It is Luck who is not making the correct reads and decisions on who to throw to. When it comes down to it, it is Luck who is on the field making the decisions. When i see a receiver or Gore on the underneath that can get a first down and Luck throws deep to TY on a 3rd and short, that is all the evidence I need to condemn Luck more than the OC.

when we went uptempo late in the 4th which we've done every game what has luck done he's stepped up.. And in OT we slow it down and he fails..you adjust to how your qb is playing and he plays better uptempo..it's the same as Peyton in Denver Kubiak was forcing his offense on Peyton and he struggled then late in the game he goes back to his uptempo offense and what do you know everything's clicking pep is just stubborn and refuses to adapt

He's in a slump this year no doubt but don't get it twisted. Luck is going to be great. He needs proper coaching to help him with that though.

no1 is trying to help him neither has anyone spoken up about helping him.. They just say he knows what to do he's been playing for a while..clearly he needs some help and they're disregarding it he didn't have this problem with Arians as much as he got killed he still preformed big

Bravo, you can't defend it so you insult it. He's far to inconsistent and needs to get his stuff together or he won't be a colt in a few years if he continues tob play like this and learn to correct his mistakes. It's always the same thing from him every game. At some point you'd think he would fix it. I don't think he can at this point.

Of course I can defend it.....     it isn't hard to defend it.

But frankly your argument was so terrible, so embarrassing,  I didn't want to go there....

You make fan-boy arguments.     It's pure nonsense.      You're not interested in figuring out the "why"....   you've already decided.   

In your mind, he's not that good.     Fine.     That's your call.    And I'm sure it's shared by a number of other posters.    But I'm not going to go poster by poster and explain the "how" and "whys" to each one of you.

It's a waste of both our times.

I'm sorry you're not happy with him.    But Luck isn't going anywhere,  so you might as well learn to make the best of it.   Otherwise,  you'll be miserable for about the next 10 years or so........

Just saying....

when we went uptempo late in the 4th which we've done every game what has luck done he's stepped up.. And in OT we slow it down and he fails..you adjust to how your qb is playing and he plays better uptempo..it's the same as Peyton in Denver Kubiak was forcing his offense on Peyton and he struggled then late in the game he goes back to his uptempo offense and what do you know everything's clicking pep is just stubborn and refuses to adapt

Those do not compare.  This is Luck's 4th year in the same offense,  this is Peytons first year.  The reason it worked later in the game is because the line held up better.  If you know you are going to get hit, or scared, you throw to your quick routes and dump offs, not bomb it down field.

Luck is not throwing the ball with much velocity. That reverts to being hurt to some degree. And, of course, not getting the ball to receivers at times, messes with your psychological analysis of play. The combination of both along with horrible play calling would tend to throw off even the greatest QBs. Remember the problems Peyton dealt with his injuries? It's along those lines. However, Manning had a much better and experiential outlook as to how and correct. Cut some slack for a while, and see what develops.

Look, if he isn't healthy enough to play, you have to look at playing Hasselbeck. It's the coaches responsibility to get him out of the funk he is in. Peyton was much older and experienced when he went through his injuries too.

Those do not compare. This is Luck's 4th year in the same offense, this is Peytons first year. The reason it worked later in the game is because the line held up better. If you know you are going to get hit, or scared, you throw to your quick routes and dump offs, not bomb it down field.

4 th year in this offense yet this offense doesn't have any similar playcalling to last year besides that dumb *** I-formation which means pep didn't adapt

Of course I can defend it.....     it isn't hard to defend it.

But frankly your argument was so terrible, so embarrassing,  I didn't want to go there....

You make fan-boy arguments.     It's pure nonsense.      You're not interested in figuring out the "why"....   you've already decided.   

In your mind, he's not that good.     Fine.     That's your call.    And I'm sure it's shared by a number of other posters.    But I'm not going to go poster by poster and explain the "how" and "whys" to each one of you.

It's a waste of both our times.

I'm sorry you're not happy with him.    But Luck isn't going anywhere,  so you might as well learn to make the best of it.   Otherwise,  you'll be miserable for about the next 10 years or so........

Just saying....

He keeps playing like this, he wont be here for 10 years.  The only 'fanboy' here is you.  You make excuse after excuse without laying any responsibility on the feet of Luck.  That is fanboy my friend.

i took apart each one of your 'logical' reasons.  He has played with the same type of crappy O line, but he has progressively gotten worse.  It especially does not excuse his play this year.  You say he has poor running game support, Frank Gore is tearing it up compared to our previous RB's, averaging 4.3 ypc.  Everyone was complaining about having a back that cant get above 3 yards per carry.  Now we have one and it is still not good enough?  Its substandard?   Seriously?!  Gore is sitting right at 23rd for ypc out of 50 qualifying RB's, thats right smack in the middle, thats STANDARD.

He has had the same OC for the past 3 seasons, but yet it is the OC's fault that he is getting worse, not Luck?  If you are in a system you should be getting better and better as you get more familiar with it.  So the OC is not to blame for Lucks terrible play this year.

With all things being the same, and one being better, the evidence points to luck being more of the problem than anything else.

I've figured out the why, it is something that i have noticed since his first season.  He cannot lead receivers, he is not accurate, he has made poor decisions year in and year out.  Every year we play from behind most of the game and then have to come back. It is usually because of all of his interceptions.  

The argument to support Luck has always been its his o line, the running game, and pep.  Those arguments have run their course and at some point, the responsibility needs to be put on Luck.  Some of us have just gotten there quicker than others.