Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cowherd If you attack Andrew Luck, you're stupid

masterlock

Luck is a great QB, but he's made a lot of bad decisions this year.  He deserves his fair share of the blame for our lack of success this year.  It isn't about being safe vs. being aggressive; it's about making good decisions.  Being aggressive and making bad decisions is bad.  Being aggressive and making good decisions is good.  Last night, Luck was being aggressive, but making bad decisions (eg. testing Revis over and over again despite little success against him).  Cowherd's arguments have logical fallacies all over the place.  Ignore it, don't give him any clicks or views, and move on

He has made bad decisions....however, he has thrown off his back foot a lot. Also, he has made every effort to hang in the pocket (probably too long). There was a play last night in which he literally had open field for 15-20 yards in front of him and he just stood pat. Granted, NFL defenders close quickly. He definitely only takes off if he absolutely has to.

Even when he did have time, he held the ball too long last night. I couldn't always see downfield do to the frame of the camera. I assume that the WRs were struggling with separation. We just kept trying to go downfield instead of just going with a dink and dunk over the middle where the blitz created a void.

I think a lot of people are trying to over simplify this by going the QB  played badly, the coaching was bad, the receivers can't get open, too many penalties, or the o-line is awful.  When in reality all of those things have lead to this and feed into each other.  The Colts offense as a whole is a train wreck right now.  All of these parties helped cause this.  So I don't think it's a matter of attacking one party.  It should be about looking at the offense as a whole.   

The good news is that most of these things are just flat out mistakes and can be corrected.  Things like turnovers, penalties, and even getting WRs open can be corrected.  Things can be done to help the protection which will in turn help Luck. 

The question that remains is can the Colts correct these errors.  If they do they will be alright.  If they don't then this will be a long season with changes at the end of it. 

One of the reporters after the game last night asked Luck if he felt sped up and he replied with a no. However, I feel like there is no way that he doesn't feel sped up because there are free blitzers about to take his head off on seemingly every single play. Luck has made bad decisions this season and he needs to play better but the same can be said for everyone on offense including the wide receivers who aren't getting separation.

It actually pretty simple. Andrew Luck is a great young QB, who will be a top 5 QB if he isn't already. He just makes some really bad decisions, he has a really bad Offensive Co., and he has a really bad interior offensive line to protect him. The only thing Luck has to improve on himself is better decision making, but honestly that would be a lot better with a better O-Line and a better OC.

I think a lot of people are trying to over simplify this by going the QB  played badly, the coaching was bad, the receivers can't get open, too many penalties, or the o-line is awful.  When in reality all of those things have lead to this and feed into each other.  The Colts offense as a whole is a train wreck right now.  All of these parties helped cause this.  So I don't think it's a matter of attacking one party.  It should be about looking at the offense as a whole.   

The good news is that most of these things are just flat out mistakes and can be corrected.  Things like turnovers, penalties, and even getting WRs open can be corrected.  Things can be done to help the protection which will in turn help Luck. 

The question that remains is can the Colts correct these errors.  If they do they will be alright.  If they don't then this will be a long season with changes at the end of it. 

You are correct IMO. Some just feel the need to blame someone or something spacific. The old saying it's never as bad as it seems and it's never as great as it seem holds true here with these Colts.

He has made bad decisions....however, he has thrown off his back foot a lot. Also, he has made every effort to hang in the pocket (probably too long). There was a play last night in which he literally had open field for 15-20 yards in front of him and he just stood pat. Granted, NFL defenders close quickly. He definitely only takes off if he absolutely has to.

Even when he did have time, he held the ball too long last night. I couldn't always see downfield do to the frame of the camera. I assume that the WRs were struggling with separation. We just kept trying to go downfield instead of just going with a dink and dunk over the middle where the blitz created a void.

peps play calling

Luck is a great QB, but he's made a lot of bad decisions this year. He deserves his fair share of the blame for our lack of success this year. It isn't about being safe vs. being aggressive; it's about making good decisions. Being aggressive and making bad decisions is bad. Being aggressive and making good decisions is good. Last night, Luck was being aggressive, but making bad decisions (eg. testing Revis over and over again despite little success against him). Cowherd's arguments have logical fallacies all over the place. Ignore it, don't give him any clicks or views, and move on

I gave up when he threw to Revis who was covering Phillip Dorsett

Felt like RG3 was playing QB for us or Jay Cutler

But he's not, so he needs to play better.

I think something is in Andrew's head. Maybe it's the MVP talk or the hype this team has received all offseason. 

I firmly believe he'll play better as the season goes on. Especially these next few games.

I think something is in Andrew's head. Maybe it's the MVP talk or the hype this team has received all offseason. 

I firmly believe he'll play better as the season goes on. Especially these next few games.

I don't think it's that big of a deal. The play calling has been bad, and that's made it look worse, and these first two defenses are really good. But Luck started out not great last season. I don't know that there's any big, significant underlying cause. I just think he's not sharp yet, and the gameplans have sucked and the defenses have been really good.

Like you, I think he'll play better moving forward.

Luck has made bad decisions, but factor in bad play calling, game planning, penalties, WRs that get no separation, terrible guard play, bad run blocking, turnovers, fumbles, interceptions, it's about as big of a mess as it could be currently. Good news is I don't see how they could get any worse, lol.

It's pretty ironic that the D looks better than the O.

Hi all, its been a while.

Hard yo blame Andrew when its obvious to all he HAS to pull a rabbit out of his butt. That said, he's gotta be smarter. Punt. Maybe they'll muff it. Ha ha

Our problem still (after 20 years) revolves around being soft at both points of attack. Can't run... Can't stop run. (Tho i thought dl is showing signs)

Also:

1.poor focus(coaching?) : penalties, fumbles, drops, muffs, slow starts, did i say penalties? Are we lazy and "fat" from our success? No tire, emoion. Like the dungy days.

2. NO protection tor Luck: what do we expect yo happen?

If we get SOMEONE to fire these guys up and they get their heads out of their butts and focus, we have a chance. I just dont see it coming from Pagano. Gotta be vets im wfraid.

I dont know. We also HAVE to protect andrew . Max protect, put dorsett n ty out there and open it up. Gore was running well, then robinson is in there.(?)

Now i'm confused again.

Maybe i'll just wait and see whst happens next werk. It can't get any worse, can it?

Luck trusting a rookie WR to beat a Top 3 CB tells a lot about his thought process too

That's how screwed up Luck and the whole offense are.

Why in the world would you EVER attack Darrell Revis with a rookie whose calling card is speed,  by having him run a deep square out.      That was like stealing for Revis.      But Luck should know that -- so why throw in that direction?    A complete mystery!

The only time I'm having Luck throw to Dorsett when Revis is covering him is when I'm sending Dorsett deep.   Let speed be the decider.     Otherwise,  I'm not having Dorsett trying to beat Revis by running a clever route.     Thanks, but not thanks!

Thank you,  Pep Hamilton!!

Why in the world would you EVER attack Darrell Revis with a rookie whose calling card is speed, by having him run a deep square out. That was like stealing for Revis. But Luck should know that -- so why throw in that direction? A complete mystery!

The only time I'm having Luck throw to Dorsett when Revis is covering him is when I'm sending Dorsett deep. Let speed be the decider. Otherwise, I'm not having Dorsett trying to beat Revis by running a clever route. Thanks, but not thanks!

Thank you, Pep Hamilton!!

Just thought common sense would've struck that if Dorsett is with Revis, one of the better WR's are going against Skrine or someone. Even the TE's, they really weren't apart of the offense & I swore Pep loved his TE's

Luck trusting a rookie WR to beat a Top 3 CB tells a lot about his thought process too

What Luck does or doesn't do has zero to do with what you think of Luck. You insult him by putting in the same category as RG3 and Cutler because of a couple of bad games shows exactly what you think. But that is you so it's no big deal. It seems to be expected of you.

What Luck does or doesn't do has zero to do with what you think of Luck. You insult him by putting in the same category as RG3 and Cutler because of a couple of bad games shows exactly what you think. But that is you so it's no big deal. It seems to be expected of you.

What he does or doesn't do has zero to do with what I think?

So, if he plays good.... wouldn't that lead me to think he's good?

That goes hand in hand

Regardless, he stinks right now. And that's a fact & what I think

I agree take chances but not risks...maybe take a sack or throw ball away occasionally...but Cowherd is right on the money...all those QBʻs threw a lot of intʻs and are or going to be HOFʻs...please give us 3 or 4 SB wins before you retire Luck

3 or 4? From what I've seen I just hope he can get 1 and would be thrilled if he won us 2.

Luck is a great QB, but he's made a lot of bad decisions this year.  He deserves his fair share of the blame for our lack of success this year.  It isn't about being safe vs. being aggressive; it's about making good decisions.  Being aggressive and making bad decisions is bad.  Being aggressive and making good decisions is good.  Last night, Luck was being aggressive, but making bad decisions (eg. testing Revis over and over again despite little success against him).  Cowherd's arguments have logical fallacies all over the place.  Ignore it, don't give him any clicks or views, and move on

I know he is making bad decisions but atleast one of his int's Monday was off the hands of a reciever. Granted, he was under pressure and the pass was high. The fumble, was just a good play by the defense, stripped away as he's trying to make yardage. The last int was an ill advised pass into good coverage, which the jets had all night.

Give Andrew better protection and a semi open receiver and he'll find it. So far he hasnt had much of either.

Their is a time to push the ball down field and their is a time not to push the ball.....66 of  86 pass attempts going more then 10 yards is more then enough time(75% of his passes), That's to much time...as a matter of fact its predictable. Its the lack of balance in the passing attack. Football is not about slinging it down field on a hope and a prayer 75% of the time, Its about matchups 100% of the time and how those matchups are playing you. Look no further then how the Patriots attacked that same Bills defense with more short dink and dunk passes and how successful that was...Because of matchups and how the Bills were playing

Cowherd's always laces his show with the smart vs stupid discussion.....on many topics.

The problem is, he thinks he is smarter than he is and quickly calls out others as stupid. Its tiring.

He loves BB and raves about his intelligence. What Cowherd doesn't realize is that if you were to list the most important characteristics in a human being, intelligence ranks about eighth. He probably lacks the first seven, so he's always focused on intelligence.

Luck needs to take better care of the ball when under duress. I assume that he has the arm strength to sling it out of bounds.

I didn't read Cowherd's article (mainly because when an * (Cowherd) starts saying other people are stupid... well no good can come of it).  But I will say this:

Luck's 1st INT to Johnson.  Was just a bad throw.  Johnson was open there was a dlineman who dropped back into zone coverage and bumped AJ (could have been a flag) but then there was no one around, if Luck throw the ball in stride it's an easy first down, instead he throws it behind AJ who barely gets his hand on it and tips it in the air for an INT.

On his fumble, that was Luck not securing the ball as he's running downfield... That is on Luck

On the INT to Dorsett.  Just a poor decision, we as fans have heard for two years now from Luck that he wants to cut down on his turnovers and that throwing the ball away is not a bad thing.  But so far it's been all talk... because he does not do it in the game.

BTW,

ESPN is starting down the road of criticizing or at least questioning the decisions being made by Grigson. They have made unfavorable observations about Pagano and even Luck.

Has anybody at ESPN questioned the competence of Pep Hamilton? I mean, OC's are criticized all of the time in the national media...but I haven't heard a peep about Pep.

I don't disagree that it's important to be aggressive at times but you can't blame the picks on aggressiveness.  

He forced the ball to TY who was being blanketed by Revis.  This lead to a lot of picks.

Also there where too many deep routes.  

I am convinced that this team does not know what to do if it can't hook up on deep passes.  They don't seem to use a lot of short passes at all even though that's what they should be doing with a team that's blitzing all the time.

This sort of does make me question Pep a bit here.  Because the Jets where blitzing constantly, we often knew the Blitz was coming.  But we don't use any screen passes or slants?  Instead we still keep trying to hit the home run deep plays.  

I don't know if that's on Luck or Pep but short passing has to be a part of the game plan if the opposing defense is going to blitz on 75% of the snaps.

Why in the world would you EVER attack Darrell Revis with a rookie whose calling card is speed,  by having him run a deep square out.      That was like stealing for Revis.      But Luck should know that -- so why throw in that direction?    A complete mystery!

The only time I'm having Luck throw to Dorsett when Revis is covering him is when I'm sending Dorsett deep.   Let speed be the decider.     Otherwise,  I'm not having Dorsett trying to beat Revis by running a clever route.     Thanks, but not thanks!

Thank you,  Pep Hamilton!!

Nice throw Pep!

I don't disagree that it's important to be aggressive at times but you can't blame the picks on aggressiveness.  

He forced the ball to TY who was being blanketed by Revis.  This lead to a lot of picks.

Also there where too many deep routes.  

I am convinced that this team does not know what to do if it can't hook up on deep passes.  They don't seem to use a lot of short passes at all even though that's what they should be doing with a team that's blitzing all the time.

This sort of does make me question Pep a bit here.  Because the Jets where blitzing constantly, we often knew the Blitz was coming.  But we don't use any screen passes or slants?  Instead we still keep trying to hit the home run deep plays.  

I don't know if that's on Luck or Pep but short passing has to be a part of the game plan if the opposing defense is going to blitz on 75% of the snaps.

If you don`t get it is a Luck problem by now you ain`t ever gonna get it. He hates the short game because he can`t get the ball down or get the timing.

Nice throw Pep!

I think it's also on Luck as well.    Luck has options.     He doesn't have to throw in Revis' direction.

But I think he's so screwed up he's not thinking straight.   Decisions that should be obvious,  somehow,  are not.

I've never seen this Andrew Luck before.    He's almost unrecognizable to me.      He needs a wise veteran OC to oversee this offense and get Luck back on the right track.

I don't think that person is Pep Hamilton.