Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Langford, Parry and Anderson [Merge]

RockThatBlue

If you negate that busted 60 yard coverage play for a TD, I don't think the D played bad. I was MUCH MUCH more disappointed with the offense, penalties and turnovers. Ohh, and incredibly poor special teams play.

you cant make mistake like that against teams that have as good a defense as the bills do but you take off the the bad tackling that led to us giving them a TD right before the half the missed FG and the 60 yard TD that Butler game up that is the difference in this game.

I thought the D was pretty bad. You want to win a championship? Someone's gotta make a play at some point. Allowimg them to march down the field before half, then again to start the second... That was the game.

Three plays defined the defense in this game.

- The TE fumble with three Colts around - no one got on it.

- The 20 yard TD run before half when the Bills were playing for a FG.

- The batted Taylor pass that two Colts had a chance at - could have gone for a TD and changed the game.

It's like in the Denver game, with the Talib INT. Someone's gotta make a play. Your offense will have off days.

I know the sky is falling but the play of the front three were quite good in my opinion. 

They held their gaps well and had several plays in the backfield

the real issue is our inside linebackers, Jackson and Freeman were just plain horrible and were out of position most of the night,

Its time to let Moore and Irving to at least rotate in more often

Jackson is slow and past his prime and he looks lost at times,

Freeman over pursues is way overrated He is easily erased without much effort

We have found a solid front 3 now its time to replace our middle linebackers

I know the sky is falling but the play of the front three were quite good in my opinion. 

the real issue is our inside linebackers, Jackson and Freeman were just plain horrible and were out of position most of the night,

Even if you are right about the linebackers, and it sounds like you may be, I don't think the coaches make any changes. T-Rich got plenty of opportunities to show that he couldn't play. Wayne got plenty of opportunities after his injuries to show that he wasn't reliable any more. I am sure the LBs will also get the same opportunities. I think Pagano will play these guys, win or lose this season.

So Grigs/Pags should get credit for identifying poor DL play from last year, signing KL, drafting Anderson, and TRADING UP to get Parry in the 5th? round......then, Pags likely had input into the relatively surprising release of two contributors from last year in Chap and Hughes, feeling the two rookies were ready.

It appears that Grigs/Pags deserve credit for making some rather bold and (so far) successful looking moves with the DL.

I agree, its the linebackers. The line did fine for most of the game and Langford and Anderson flashed on several occasions. I have a feeling Irving and Moore will see more PT as the season goes along. Freeman is fine in Nickel, but has rapidly declined against the run. I thought Geathers played well in the nickel as well.

I fully agree the ILBs are a big issue. Freeman has had issue for a long time with getting out of position while defending the run. There was a perfect example towards the end of the game tonight. He started to pursue the correct gap and then all of a sudden bounced left (and the rb came straight through the gap he abandoned). DQ was on the down tick when he came here.

I would be happy to see what Moore and Irvin can do. 

He was very good.

Merged your threads

The D-line is going to be fine.  I think the secondary will be fine once they are healthy.  Linebackers are the problem right now.  There was zero pass rush from them today, hopefully that changes once Mathis is back.  I haven't been a big fan of the Cole signing but I am willing to give it up more than one week.  I don't know what's up with Newsome.  Walden made another dumb play today.  He seems to not always play smart.  I wish the coaches could get that under control with him.  As for the middle linebackers I think Jackson was better than Freeman.  If Freeman doesn't improve I wouldn't be surprised to see him replaced in the starting line up this season. 

The story is our offense couldn't stay on the damn field and our LBs are terrible. The defensive line was the least of our worries today. 

We can't under sell how bad the special teams were today either.  They had a season worth of mistakes in the return game in one game.  You had Moncrief's blunder on a return and then Dorsett was just a disaster back there today he had the fair catch inside the five and then the two muffs.  He should have been yanked before the second muff so I will put some of that on the coaches but it was his mistakes. 

Here's a good example of what just kills me about Grigson. Ok we all dislike DQ for obvious reasons. And we need to look at starting Irving and Moore or at least 1 of the 2. But anyways. We signed DQ when Karlos Dansby was on the market without even considering Dansby. They ended up getting identical contracts. And obviously Karlos Dansby is not only the better player, but one of the best all around ILB's in the NFL and he could be on our team. We want Sio and Irv!!!!

Even if you are right about the linebackers, and it sounds like you may be, I don't think the coaches make any changes. T-Rich got plenty of opportunities to show that he couldn't play. Wayne got plenty of opportunities after his injuries to show that he wasn't reliable any more. I am sure the LBs will also get the same opportunities. I think Pagano will play these guys, win or lose this season.

Not sure if I agree.  We've been replacing a lot of people on the D this year and I don't think Moore and Irving were bought in to be backups for long.

Not sure if I agree. We've been replacing a lot of people on the D this year and I don't think Moore and Irving were bought in to be backups for long.

I guess I was being a little sarcastic with my remarks...still salty about the loss. But my point is, unless things go drastically wrong, Pagano doesn't like to make personnel changes. Grigson may force his hand, however. I think either way, they gotta get better no matter what it takes.

Secondary play was ok, however Percy Harvin just absolutely torched Darius Butler. What made the play so bad was Butler gave Harving about a 10 yard cushion and he still ran right past him.   I know Butler really should be playing the nickel, but overall to be honest I can't remember the last time I've seen much out him.  

So Grigs/Pags should get credit for identifying poor DL play from last year, signing KL, drafting Anderson, and TRADING UP to get Parry in the 5th? round......then, Pags likely had input into the relatively surprising release of two contributors from last year in Chap and Hughes, feeling the two rookies were ready.

It appears that Grigs/Pags deserve credit for making some rather bold and (so far) successful looking moves with the DL.

According to Mike Wells, who covers the Colts for ESPN, the Chapman release was another area of tension between Pagano and Grigson.  "Some in the organization" thought Chapman should not be released because he knew the system and had the trust of his teammates.