Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade Potential?

Manning1887

I know we are early into training camp, but it seems like we have the potential to make a couple of trades similar to the Marcus Burley trade last season, where we could add a couple of draft choices in 2016. 

A couple of thoughts: 

Dan Herron: 5th round pick

We have Frank Gore as our work horse. I really like Josh Robinson. I am also really high on Zurlon Tipton (really reminds me a lot of Arian Foster). It will be interesting to see what Vick Ballard and Tyler Varga bring to the table. Overall, we have nice depth at running back. Herron showed last year that he can make plays. I feel he is a solid running back, but not a long-term component of our backfield. I think a RB needy team would be willing to part with a 5th rounder for him. 

Donte Moncrief: 2nd round pick

I realize mentioning this possibility is akin to heresy, but I could see Moncrief drawing a lot of attention. He is one year into his 4 year rookie deal as a 3rd round pick (lower cost than 2nd rounder). He has shown a great deal of potential. However, he is stuck as the 3rd or 4th WR on a team loaded with offensive playmakers. We have Dorsett, Carter, Brown at WR, as well as Fleener, Allen, and Doyle. An extra second rounder next year would be more valuable, in my opinion, than having Moncrief patrolling the sidelines. 

Obviously, I am sure some guys will stand out in pre-season and enhance their value. Injuries can also factor in to the decision. We'll see what happens. 

Would it be worth trading Herron for a 5th? I don't think anyone would since running backs are dime a dozen and Herron isn't an elite back, just a normal guy in my opinion.

As far as Donte is concerned, he will be a Colt for a long time in my opinion. But you may never know.

I know we are early into training camp, but it seems like we have the potential to make a couple of trades similar to the Marcus Burley trade last season, where we could add a couple of draft choices in 2016. 

A couple of thoughts: 

We have Frank Gore as our work horse. I really like Josh Robinson. I am also really high on Zurlon Tipton (really reminds me a lot of Arian Foster). It will be interesting to see what Vick Ballard and Tyler Varga bring to the table. Overall, we have nice depth at running back. Herron showed last year that he can make plays. I feel he is a solid running back, but not a long-term component of our backfield. I think a RB needy team would be willing to part with a 5th rounder for him. 

I realize mentioning this possibility is akin to heresy, but I could see Moncrief drawing a lot of attention. He is one year into his 4 year rookie deal as a 3rd round pick (lower cost than 2nd rounder). He has shown a great deal of potential. However, he is stuck as the 3rd or 4th WR on a team loaded with offensive playmakers. We have Dorsett, Carter, Brown at WR, as well as Fleener, Allen, and Doyle. An extra second rounder next year would be more valuable, in my opinion, than having Moncrief patrolling the sidelines. 

Obviously, I am sure some guys will stand out in pre-season and enhance their value. Injuries can also factor in to the decision. We'll see what happens. 

Agree with the two trade baits. Not sure you would get a 5th rounder for Herron though. 

As far as your opinion of Tipton .... are you seriously smoking something? Compare Tipton to Foster? Really? Tipton is the worst back that we have. Your sister is faster and more agile.

I don't think we should trade either player you mentioned but would not be too upset if we got a good deal out of a Boom trade. Moncreif however should definitely stay, he is a very talented wr with good size, speed, decent route runner, what more can you ask for from a wr? He SHOULD replace Johnson in a year or two and be an asset for the Colts for years to come.

Moncrief wouldn't command a 2nd round pick....nowhere near the production to justify it. This is just a guess but at most a 5th....He will soon prove more valuable to us then a 5th or a 2nd I think

The comparison of Tipton and Foster ends at there height/weight. I agree about Herron not going to be a long term solution/tandem with any of our Backs but he wont command a 5th

first of all no one in their right minds are trading even a 6th rounder for Boom. As mentioned by many above, RB's with his production are a dime a dozen and actually quite easily picked up as free agents.

Regarding the bolded text above. Trading Moncrief away would be an insane idea and if our FO did it i would be extremely angry about it. 

Sure there is TY and AJ ahead of him on the depth chart, but as it stands, AJ will probably retire in about 2 years time and who knows if this deal with TY will get done? Even if we tie up TY, then that solidly puts Moncrief as the #2 receiver behind TY once AJ goes.

Theoretically, if we won the SB this year and if we didnt resign TY, AJ could ride off into the sunset after finally winning a SB, TY could walk and if Moncrief was traded we would be left with Dorsett currently an unproven rookie, Duron Carter who hasnt even played a single NFL snap, and Griff Whalen or Vincent Brown who probably arent even making the team this year...

we still have dorsett, i think he will be better.  time will tell

If we keep TY and AJ goes, Moncrief would definitely be the #2 WR. If Dorsett comes in a sets the world on fire, he'd eat more into TY's reps than Moncriefs.

You dont play two WR like TY and Dorsett as your starting two WR's, they are too similar. You want to create mismatches on the field, so you put in someone like TY or Dorsett and put him across from someone like Moncrief or Duron Carter, TY provides the speed and stretches the field. Moncrief provides the height / catch radius and big body to go across the middle and take advantage of the space created by TY.

Sure you can do special packages where you put both TY and Dorsett on the field together, but most of the time you want the two different skill sets on the field at the same time.

Different trade idea:

We trade TY Hilton and a 5th for Joel Botonio and fortify our O-Line. We'll still have a solid WR corps and our O-Line will be excellent.

Our WR corps would be Andre, Dorsett, Moncrief, Carter, Whalen, Brown.

Our O-Line would be Constanzo, Botonio, Holmes, Herremans, Mewhort

We'd be extremely strong and we wouldn't have to pay TY next year while getting an elite guard.

A couple of thoughts: 

Trade you for a Houston fan. Ridiculous ...

Different trade idea:

We trade TY Hilton and a 5th for Joel Botonio and fortify our O-Line. We'll still have a solid WR corps and our O-Line will be excellent.

We'd be extremely strong and we wouldn't have to pay TY next year while getting an elite guard.

I know we're not trading Hilton, but if we did we wouldn't have to give up a 5th as well to get Bitonio. Cleveland is so desperate for at top WR they'd be happy to deal for Hilton.

Different trade idea:

I couldn't do that, but I do love Bitonio. He's one of my favorite Guards in the league. Really wish we had drafted him. But at least your thinking outside the box man lol.

I don't think we should trade either player you mentioned but would not be too upset if we got a good deal out of a Boom trade. Moncreif however should definitely stay, he is a very talented wr with good size, speed, decent route runner, what more can you ask for from a wr? He SHOULD replace Johnson in a year or two and be an asset for the Colts for years to come.

Moncrief is likely a 4th WR for the next two years while we have Johnson (barring injury).

Yes, he could replace Johnson, but you are looking at replacing Johnson in year 4 of his rookie deal, so we would then have to re-sign him, which is no sure thing given the other contracts we will have to give. 

A couple of thoughts: 

Boom? maybe but seriously Moncrief? why would you consider trading Moncrief? We havent inked a deal to extend Hilton, AJ is not gonna be playing forever, Dorsett is Unproven. It would be a poor move to trade him away!

Moncrief wouldn't command a 2nd round pick....nowhere near the production to justify it. This is just a guess but at most a 5th....He will soon prove more valuable to us then a 5th or a 2nd I think

The comparison of Tipton and Foster ends at there height/weight. I agree about Herron not going to be a long term solution/tandem with any of our Backs but he wont command a 5th

I disagree about Moncrief, particularly with a strong preseason and a team in need. He has plenty of potential to justify a 2nd round pick. Particularly given he is only one year into a rookie deal slotted for a 3rd round pick. 

Tipton played some quality snaps at the end of last season. His playing style reminds me of Arian Foster. I am not saying he is the second coming of Arian Foster, only that he reminds me of Foster. Personally, I am high on Tipton, and I would like to see him get a chance to earn some more playing time. 

I feel there could be robust interest in Herron. Although it all depends on need. We may have injuries where we need to keep him. I just feel he is a player to watch as a trade consideration. 

Considering our Depth at WR, I'd trade Moncrief for a 2nd in a heart beat. The problem is no other team would be even slightly interested for that price. Boom Herron is more valuable to us than a future 5th round pick. Regardless, as with the Moncreif trade idea, no one would be interested in trading a 5th for Boom.

Boom? maybe but seriously Moncrief? why would you consider trading Moncrief? We havent inked a deal to extend Hilton, AJ is not gonna be playing forever, Dorsett is Unproven. It would be a poor move to trade him away!

Not for a 2nd round pick (in my opinion). Again, it appears to me that Moncrief is our number 4 receiver. I really like Dorsett, and Carter is impressive as well. Depth is crucial at any position, but we have a great deal of talent at WR. I could see a team in need of a WR inquire about our wide receivers, in particular Moncrief. 

Given Moncrief's contract and potential, I could see teams having interest, particularly if a need develops. A second round pick is the only consideration I would take in a trade. Nothing later than the second round would pique my interest. 

There has been so much talent at wide receiver in the draft the last couple of years, that I feel we could add a talented WR in future years. 

An early 2nd could allow us to draft another talented defensive player or offensive lineman. 

I wouldn't trade either.

The Colts haven't had a successful running game since 2007 so they need the best backs they can get.

While there is a lot of potential besides Moncrief at WR none of it is proven besides Hilton abs Whalen. Whalen is going to struggle to make this roster and while he works his backside off only has so high of a ceiling. For now I think the smart move is to keep Moncrief. Also no way you get a second rounder for him. Players far better and more proven than him fetched less.

A couple of thoughts: 

Neither of those guys would command the picks you are ascribing to them.

Herron you would be lucky to get a 6th and I'm not sure even that.

Moncrief you could maybe get the 3rd round pick for him.  He's gonna have to show something at the NFL level.  He hasn't shown much yet, all he's done is made a few plays.  

I can understand Herron, but no way on Moncrief. That guy has a high ceiling. If he develops well, he will be our # 2 or possibly #1. I don't want them to trade Herron neither, but least I can understand it if they do so.

A couple of thoughts: 

Brown and Carter are hardly established commodities;  they will be the one's patrolling the sidelines next year, if they even make the team.....not Moncrief.  Andre Johnson has 2 years left max.  If we are lucky enough to resign Hilton, we will need Dorsett and Moncrief to fill the 2-3 WR positions.  If Hilton leaves, that makes Moncrief all the more valuable.

Also, one of Allen or Fleener is gone next year.  And Doyle's a mediocre layman who's name shouldn't ever occupy the same paragraph as phrases such as "loaded" and "offensive playmakers".

Nobody will trade a 5th for Herron and I would be P****d if they traded Moncrief....

As everybody agrees!  I just read an article posted today where Moncrief has been silent but is getting most of the reps as the #3 WR on the depth chart.  At this point Moncrief is here for the long haul... Replacement for AJ when he leave.

I disagree about Moncrief, particularly with a strong preseason and a team in need. He has plenty of potential to justify a 2nd round pick. Particularly given he is only one year into a rookie deal slotted for a 3rd round pick. 

Tipton played some quality snaps at the end of last season. His playing style reminds me of Arian Foster. I am not saying he is the second coming of Arian Foster, only that he reminds me of Foster. Personally, I am high on Tipton, and I would like to see him get a chance to earn some more playing time. 

I feel there could be robust interest in Herron. Although it all depends on need. We may have injuries where we need to keep him. I just feel he is a player to watch as a trade consideration. 

Tipton is gone, the writing is on the wall. Bringing in Gore, Robinson and Varga shows that our 5th stringer

from last season wasn't cutting it.

Different trade idea:

As much as I love TY, I'd be all for that.  But not until after the third game of the preseason.  We should know by then if we have an issue at guard.

It's fun to talk about, but it's never going to happen anyway.

I'd trade Dwayne Allen and Donte Moncrief for a 7th and a 5th respectively once they show some production as the year begins.

That is the most we are going to get, likely. Moncrief may get a 4th with the right team but that is the most I expect. Look at the rookie wide outs contributing around the league, it is easier to get another Moncrief than you think. We are not keeping Dwayne Allen, either he plays well and leaves because we have enough play makers to pay or he does not get enough touches and wants to leave anyway.

Boom Herron, I doubt he even gets a pick, IMO, given the RB situation in the NFL.

If that is not acceptable, we are better off riding with the horses we got as long as we can ride them :).

I'd trade Dwayne Allen and Donte Moncrief for a 7th and a 5th respectively once they show some production as the year begins.

That is the most we are going to get, likely. Moncrief may get a 4th with the right team but that is the most I expect. Look at the rookie wide outs contributing around the league, it is easier to get another Moncrief than you think. We are not keeping Dwayne Allen, either he plays well and leaves because we have enough play makers to pay or he does not get enough touches and wants to leave anyway.

Boom Herron, I doubt he even gets a pick, IMO, given the RB situation in the NFL.

If that is not acceptable, we are better off riding with the horses we got as long as we can ride them :).

Why?  You'd be giving up a lot of talent and not getting much in return

A couple of thoughts:

Why is it every time we get GOOD players one of you create a thread about trading them?!

How do you guys ever expect us to win the Super Bowls you all want so badly if we keep trading everyone away?!

You NEED depth in the NFL. Having numerous players is a good thing until it's time to pay everyone. But depth is what you need in the NFL. Stop tryna trade all of our players away

:rantoff:

Why?  You'd be giving up a lot of talent and not getting much in return

I should have explained. I am not advocating we MUST trade them. But if we trade them, I'd see them being traded for only the above return. They are more valuable to the Colts than any other team, is my opinion. Colts have put the money and time into them, the other teams have not and hence they are not nearly as valuable to them as they are to us.

That is the most we are going to get. Moncrief may get a 4th with the right team but that is the most I expect. Boom Herron, I doubt he even gets a pick, IMO, given the RB situation in the NFL.

I'd personally keep Allen, Dude can run block as well as make a real good receiving TE if he was used in that way more, If we were to trade a TE (And Im not saying do this...Just hypothetical) then I'd rather it be Fleener, While he clearly is a very good receiving TE Allen would be able to do the job just as good more then likely and be able to run block as well....Something Fleener just is not very good at at all unless he gets up in space on a Linebacker and he is still inconsistent with that....Again Im not saying trade Fleener but just using your scenario. I'd honestly rather have 2-3 TE's that can run block well and just be decent at receiving over a TE that can catch and get vertical

I should have explained. I am not advocating we MUST trade them. But if we trade them, I'd see them being traded for only the above return. They are more valuable to the Colts than any other team, is my opinion. Colts have put the money and time into them, the other teams have not and hence they are not nearly as valuable to them as they are to us.

"Colts have put the money and time into them, the other teams have not and hence they are not nearly as valuable to them as they are to us."

That's not how the NFL works though, Value is largely based on need and what a coach wants to do offensively not time spent on them and money unless they price themselves out...The Bears put a lot of money and 3 years into Brandon Marshall but traded him to a team that was in need of WR's

If Brandon Marshall got traded for a 5th and Zac Stacy for a conditional 7th, than both of your trade projections are too high. I'd rather keep the best players than trade anyone because of perceived "depth".

Marshall is getting up there in years and won't be around for that much longer. Moncrief has huge potential and is only a second year player. Age makes a huge difference in trade value. Still, no team would give a 2nd for Moncrief at this point

"Colts have put the money and time into them, the other teams have not and hence they are not nearly as valuable to them as they are to us."

That's not how the NFL works though, Value is largely based on need and what a coach wants to do offensively not time spent on them and money unless they price themselves out...The Bears put a lot of money and 3 years into Brandon Marshall but traded him to a team that was in need of WR's

...and yet got only a 5th rounder. The rookie contract is the selling piece that can get us a 4th for Moncrief at best, IMO. Marshall's contract still had to be assumed by the other team. Need and contracts determine value. Otherwise, the Panthers would have had a good wide out along with drafting Kelvin Benjamin for Cam Newton by now because they have had the need for a while. At least the Jets signed Eric Decker prior to getting Marshall.

My point was the Colts will obviously overvalue Moncrief in a trade because of them knowing him better (because of their time investment) unless they are not happy with him for some reason. So, there is a good chance the Colts will not be happy with a 4th or 5th for Moncrief.