Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How many here think Werner is a bust?

RockThatBlue

Grantland says we should trade him

29. Indianapolis Colts

Colts send: 2015-1-29, 2015-2-61, 2016-1, Bjoern Werner

Washington sends: 2015-1-5

Let’s put the Colts all in for Leonard Williams. Brian Burke’s excellent Bayesian mock draft tool estimates there’s a 24 percent chance he’s still on the board at no. 5, where Washington is actually relatively set up front. Washington invested in Jason Hatcher and Stephen Paea at defensive end during the last two offseasons, and while Williams will likely prove to be better than either, it would be tough for Scot McCloughan to justify using so many of the limited assets available to him in one spot with holes elsewhere on the roster.

The Colts, though? They still need run defenders. Williams would give Chuck Pagano a mammoth piece for his front seven, a stout 5-technique end who would step in across from Arthur Jones and give the Colts a fighting chance against LeGarrette Blount when the Patriots and Colts inevitably face off in the playoffs again in 2015. Kendall Langford is sufficiently cheap enough to move into a rotation role. Two first-rounders would be a lot to give up for a defensive lineman, but given the likelihood that those picks will each fall in the twenties, it’s not quite as severe as it might seem on first glance. Indy would also send Werner as a pass-rush flier to Washington.

Two #1's and Werner would not get Washington's 5th overall pick.

And I don't even think it's close....

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think he's a bust; I think the guy didn't start playing football until college. I think with time he might become a decent to solid player but not a Mathis type player; it's not like he was a top 10 or even top 20 pick!

He played football in high school for two years.

Too soon for me to call him a bust....   but he's a very big disappointment.

He gets this year to see if he can elevate himself to a solid player....

He should not be a rush linebacker.    He should be on the strong side setting the edge with Walden.   That's Werner's best trait.

Too soon for me to call him a bust....   but he's a very big disappointment.

He gets this year to see if he can elevate himself to a solid player....

He should not be a rush linebacker.    He should be on the strong side setting the edge with Walden.   That's Werner's best trait.

This.

As it stands now he probably should have been drafted in the 3rd or 4th round.

We tend to overrate and make excuses for our own players.  If he were a Texan, it would take posters a fraction of a second to say, bust. 

Of course he's a bust.  Dude didn't even dress for the biggest game of the season. 

He hasn't met his expectations, nor as he lived up to the hype Grigson and Pagano gave him (which seems to be a common theme with those two).  But I think he's a decent run defender.  He isn't worth the first round pick we used for him in our defense, but he still has a role

Like others have said, I think its looking like Werner was overdrafted, but he's not a bust.  If he takes over for Walden as the starting SAM after this coming season, and was replaced on obvious passing plays with more of an edge rusher, that would be fine with me.

No point in continuously whining about where someone was drafted when they can be a very useful contributor on your defense for many years. 

To get a player who is both stout enough to set the edge in the running game AND be a dynamic pass rusher probably takes a top 15 pick.  Since the Colts will never be picking in the top 15, they're going to have to use a rotational combo to hold up to the run on obvious running downs and rush the passer on obvious passing downs. 

Just like I might want Werner replaced on 3rd and 8, I don't want Newsome in much on 1st and 10 either.

How many Colts did get to the QB consistently last season?   NOBODY...   He was picked in the mid 20's to expect him to be another Robert Mathis is asinine.    He was drafted to play behind Mathis NOT TAKE HIS PLACE.     He is not an edge rusher.     The Colt staff needs to utilize him where he will fit best.   

And quite honestly..     compared to others on the DL I don't find his performance all that disappointing.  

ONE STUD who will command a double team will change EVERYTHING for every DLmen on this roster. ... 

JERRY HUGHES anyone?       

No he not a bust....   

As the Rush backer yes, but I think he still has value setting the edge.

My thoughts exactly. It's not like the Colts wasted a pick on him outright. I think he's a good football player, and a sound tackler with good instincts, but not a great pass rusher.

When the words came out "And with the 24th pick of the 2013 NFL Draft, the Indianapolis Colts choose:

I even said "Xavier R....what tha?? " 

I believe there were more than a few of us fans that did the same thing that night...

When I saw Werner vs. Jax Jags last year in person in game 3, that is when my heart and hope for him began to slide.  Quickly. How disappointed I was. Not being able to finish plays Freeney and Mathis had completed with spectacular results. Seemed Werner was a day late and a dollar short nearly every play he could have been involved in.  This is when I realized-

A. Blake Bortles was better than everyone was making him out to be  (forced into playing in second half because Henne just sucked so bad)

B. Werner was not as talented as his round 1 selection had me believing he must be (Admit I was never a fan of the pick in the first place, but willing to wait and see)

In reality, even though it was this combo of the two, it was the realization of the second part that was most disheartening to me. Until the AFCCG.  :-(

So you think he has looked good when the colts are in a 43 and he has his hand in the dirt? Lol....

He was pretty darn good in college.... I know it doesn't always translate but there's obviously a problem somewhere.

Maybe spending to much time working at LB in the 3-4 and not enough time practicing with his hand in the dirt.

Can't place all of the blame on Werner like most are doing. Colts should have never have taken him. No scheme fit what so ever.

My thoughts exactly. It's not like the Colts wasted a pick on him outright. I think he's a good football player, and a sound tackler with good instincts, but not a great pass rusher.

He has other faults.  Pittsburgh game, down 44-34.  4th and inches and Pitt goes for it.  We blitz and have every thing covered and sniffed out.... except... our man Werner bit on the run fake, while his man Heath Miller slips behind him into the end zone where Big Ben hits him for the dagger TD (and record) that ends our hope at a comeback. Watch for yourself, if you can stomach a play from that game again. Werner wasn't even within 5 yards when Miller caught it.

http://www.steelers.com/videos/videos/Colts-vs-Steelers-Miller-catches-11-yd-TD-pass/8a449f3a-8b56-4611-bf7d-fbc769705976

HM1_zps0qbct7mn.png

HM2_zpseljeqetz.pngHM3_zpsmuliebdo.png

He is a 3-4 outside strong side linebacker, who needs to get a little bigger, but we drafted him to be an edge rusher. We certainly over-drafted him, but he is not a bust.

The situation reminds me of Rob Morris, who was not the right fit at MIKE, but played outstanding as a SAM.