Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bears shopping Marshall for mid-round pick

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He has matured a lot since he's gotten older first of all. Second. I can understand him being upset last year. If I was a player on the Bears last year, I would've been mad too. If he was a Colt there wouldn't be problems like that.

Jeffery did not regress, Jay Cutler did. Bennett caught 90 balls for over 900 yards and 6 TDs with bad Cutler throwing to him and Forte is still under contract, unlikely to go anywhere. Try again.

Cutler regressed, not Jeffery (and Jeffery still had 1100+ yards and 10 TDs despite Cutler's ineptitude). Forte is on the market? He's signed until the end of the 2015 season and he's not going anywhere. Bennett having 90 receptions for 900+ yards isn't anything special?

No citation? For shame!

Don't like his 10M salary.

I would be shocked if anyone trades for him, his contract is ridiculous. 

I don't see why people think his contract is so bad.  Of course I would rather it be less, but $7.5 million this season .... then $7.9 in 2016, and $8.3 in 2017 ... that's not that bad especially when you consider after this season the dead cap if we have to cut him is not that bad either: $3.75 in 2016; ~$1.9 in 2017.

Brandon Marshall might not be long for the Chicago Bears.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Thursday that the Bears are exploring a potential trade of the talented wide receiver, according to a source informed of the team's plans. The effort to move Marshall is an attempt by new general manager Ryan Pace and coach John Fox to "clean up the locker room," according to Rapoport.

Marshall signed a four-year contract with the Bears last May, but appears to have fallen out of favor with the team following a 2014 season in which he was outspoken with the press and on social media and was involved in a well-publicized locker room incident during the season.

Moving Marshall represents a quick fix for a new Bears regime looking to change the culture in the locker room. The timing makes sense, too, with many options to be found in free agency and a rich draft class.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000476641/article/chicago-bears-exploring-a-brandon-marshall-trade

Now my question is if they are "cleaning up their locker room" by moving Marshall, will this DIRTY up our Locker Room?

It seems to me that his frustration was justified.

I'm sorry but for those beating the drum on the personality disorder and his "off the field issues" the personality disorder are way off with this one.  Once it was diagnosed and he began treatment, he has been a model citizen.  Setting up charities, donating portions of his salary to help raise awareness.  The guy has grown up and really matured.  I think he would be stellar hear and I would go as high as a 4th rd pick on the guy as long as he would restructure his contract.  He would be great in our offense and would last longer then Andre Johnson.

I don't see why people think his contract is so bad.  Of course I would rather it be less, but $7.5 million this season .... then $7.9 in 2016, and $8.3 in 2017 ... that's not that bad especially when you consider after this season the dead cap if we have to cut him is not that bad either: $3.75 in 2016; ~$1.9 in 2017.

He has a much bigger cap hit, you are just looking at salary.

However that is all we would be responsible for if we traded for him (his salary) and there would be no dead cap hit from cutting him.

So it's feasible. . . But I would only give up a 4th for him.  

He has a much bigger cap hit, you are just looking at salary.

However that is all we would be responsible for if we traded for him (his salary) and there would be no dead cap hit from cutting him.

So it's feasible. . . But I would only give up a 4th for him.  

I agree on the 4th ... Chicago eats his bonuses so I am only worried about his base salary.  We would end up paying Andre at least $6 million and we would likely have him for less time.  There are advantages and disadvantages to both if we decide to go the older high level receiver route. 

Cancer? According to whom?  Outspoken yes, but a cancer? I know/live with tons of Bears fans. Not a single one of them will point a Marshal to say he's the problem.

Marshall is an amazing athlete. but anytime your presence has a negative impact to the locker room, then you are considered a cancer.

Brandon Marshall might not be long for the Chicago Bears.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Thursday that the Bears are exploring a potential trade of the talented wide receiver, according to a source informed of the team's plans. The effort to move Marshall is an attempt by new general manager Ryan Pace and coach John Fox to "clean up the locker room," according to Rapoport.

Marshall signed a four-year contract with the Bears last May, but appears to have fallen out of favor with the team following a 2014 season in which he was outspoken with the press and on social media and was involved in a well-publicized locker room incident during the season.

Moving Marshall represents a quick fix for a new Bears regime looking to change the culture in the locker room. The timing makes sense, too, with many options to be found in free agency and a rich draft class.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000476641/article/chicago-bears-exploring-a-brandon-marshall-trade

Now my question is if they are "cleaning up their locker room" by moving Marshall, will this DIRTY up our Locker Room?

My sentiments exactly Krunk!

Disregard....

OK...this from PFT:

"What’s relevant is that Marshall’s production is declining with age, that he has an expensive contract, and that his reputation around the NFL is less than sterling. Marshall will turn 31 this month, and last season he had his worst season since his rookie year."

Actually his dead cap space will be 0 in 2016 and 2017 as the Bears will eat this as soon as they trade him.  All the more reason that this is not a bad contract to take on.

I'm on the fence on who I would rather have between Marshall and Johnson. Marshall has more years left, but the Texans revenge factor that Johnson would bring would be fun to watch. I suppose it all comes down to who's cheaper to acquire.

Marshall is probably also the more healthier option.   Johnson is an injury concern for me since he sustained that concussion against Jacksonville last year near the end of the season.  Once the concussions start they never go away.

Marshall had a pretty big drop off in production last year... The question is why? That is what any team needs to find out before they sign him or trade for him.

I would say there were a few factors.

1. Cutler was horrid

2. Jeffrey is good too (plus Bennett and Forte

3. He was injured at some point(s) during the season.

Not making excuses; just answering your question[emoji106]

I like him better than AJ, younger, less wear and tear. AJ WAS Houston offense for awhile

I don't see why people think his contract is so bad. Of course I would rather it be less, but $7.5 million this season .... then $7.9 in 2016, and $8.3 in 2017 ... that's not that bad especially when you consider after this season the dead cap if we have to cut him is not that bad either: $3.75 in 2016; ~$1.9 in 2017.

Thank you... Considering what we have paid for Reggie the last 3 years, what we would owe Brandon, if we traded for him, really isn't all that bad.

Marshall had a pretty big drop off in production last year... The question is why? That is what any team needs to find out before they sign him or trade for him.

He got hurt in the Dallas game? And Cutler took a complete nose dive, in terms of knowing how to play QB?

Marshall had a pretty big drop off in production last year... The question is why?  That is what any team needs to find out before they sign him or trade for him.

The guy had some injuries one early one later

He was awesome in 2013, 2012

I watched a game from 2014 before he had his second injury, where he was abusing the DBs and looked like the guy in 2012 an 2013

One on one, he is extremely tough to bring down. 

One of our weaknesses is we have WRs that cant catch the ball unless they are wide open. (at least not enough)

BM catches the ball with people all over him

I would say there were a few factors.

1. Cutler was horrid

2. Jeffrey is good too (plus Bennett and Forte

3. He was injured at some point(s) during the season.

Not making excuses; just answering your question[emoji106]

I like him better than AJ, younger, less wear and tear. AJ WAS Houston offense for awhile

The guy had some injuries one early one later

He was awesome in 2013, 2012

I watched a game from 2014 before he had his second injury, where he was abusing the DBs and looked like the guy in 2012 an 2013

One on one, he is extremely tough to bring down. 

One of our weaknesses is we have WRs that cant catch the ball unless they are wide open. (at least not enough)

BM catches the ball with people all over him

Cutler can't be blamed for it all.  He had Cutler in 2012 and 2013.  Also the reverse could also be said... Cutler may have struggled some because his receivers were not doing as good a job of getting open.

Nor can it all be blamed on injury, I know it can have an effect but he disappeared for a lot of games.

I would not be opposed to him being in a Colts uniform, I would not want them to trade for him but if they signed him as a free agent then it could prove good.

I`d like Marshall over AJ. AJ seemed hurt alot even in his prime.

But I`d like one of those Big Stud wr`s in the draft. I'm afraid if we sign Marshall or AJ we won't draft a wr.I would hate having two great back to back wr classes and only have Moncreif to show for it.

We need a veteran proven WR. The Colts want to win now. We can find a WR in rounds 3-4.. Moncrief and Carter I'll be watching closely though..

Marshall is probably also the more healthier option.   Johnson is an injury concern for me since he sustained that concussion against Jacksonville last year near the end of the season.  Once the concussions start they never go away.

I'll take either. Neither ever had a QB to play with.

While Marshall has toned it down in recent years, he's still a diva and an aging one at that.  Although he's smaller, I'd rather see if we could get a young guy like Cecil Shorts with upside on a cheap deal.  I bet Shorts would sign for a reasonable amount with little guaranteed, and if he winds up becoming consistently good then we got a steal.