Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson Says 40 yard Dash is Most Important Drill at Combine (merge)

HtownColt

@ProFootballTalk: Colts G.M. Ryan Grigson says the 40-yard dash is the most important on-field drill at the Combine http://t.co/dMGi9eeOCw

“The actual interview with the player we feel is incredibly important,” Grigson said. “It is where you find out how the player fits in so many ways from primarily a mental and character standpoint. Every year there is a guy who walks through the door that just brings tremendous energy and enthusiasm that is tangible and you make note of those types of strong interactions. The other I would say is the 40 time, not that it is or isn’t the reason to draft a guy, but at the end of the day it helps you assign proper market value to the player. Especially at those skill positions.”

Grigson said the Combine can’t do a lot to change a player’s spot on the Colts’ draft board because most of the evaluation is about what a player did on the field during his college career. But the 40 does matter.

“We honestly don’t touch our board much after the combine,” Grigson said. “I feel that is where big mistakes can be made because you are getting farther and farther away from your initial grade which was primarily off the game film, school visit and live look. Now we do add and move some guys here and there due to guys running terrible, or a player testing off the charts, or for medical reasons. For instance, there may be a WR everyone loved that you think runs 4.5 but runs 4.75 at Indy and you’re just not going to draft that guy realistically so you move him down or to your college free agent board. There’s always exceptions to the rule like Anquan Boldin but they are few and far between.”

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Ryan-Grigson-Previews-2015-NFL-Combine/4e49cbee-a13d-4ce2-9890-7ca2b86af2e3

Here's what Grigson was actually asked, and you can better see how his answer relates. He didn't say it's the most important drill.

As a staff, what are one or two of the biggest pieces of information regarding prospects you are trying to discover and takeaway from the Combine each year?

The actual interview with the player we feel is incredibly important. It is where you find out how the player fits in so many ways from primarily a mental and character standpoint. Every year there is a guy who walks through the door that just brings tremendous energy and enthusiasm that is tangible and you make note of those types of strong interactions. The other I would say is the 40 time, not that it is or isn’t the reason to draft a guy, but at the end of the day it helps you assign proper market value to the player. Especially at those skill positions.

I've always really enjoyed listening to or reading quotes from Grigson.    I've interviewed countless front office execs in all sports and I find Grigson to be one of the more straight forward and interesting people.

He's got a number of interesting quotes about how he views the combine and how the process unfolds.

If you spend a lot of time on the draft page here and you're reading my post,  I encourage you to read this really good Kevin Bowen interview with Grigs....

I think you'll really enjoy it....

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Ryan-Grigson-Previews-2015-NFL-Combine/4e49cbee-a13d-4ce2-9890-7ca2b86af2e3

The PFT article is very much out of context.    I'd look at the story linked here by Superman and linked on the draft page by me.

The quotes are much more fleshed out and you have the proper context to what Grigson is actually saying.......

It's really not what the headline here claims......

The PFT article is very much out of context.    I'd look at the story linked here by Superman and linked on the draft page by me.

The quotes are much more fleshed out and you have the proper context to what Grigson is actually saying.......

It's really not what the headline here claims......

A PFT article written out of context, say it isn't so.

Comment sections are worthless. It's not like Grigson drafts people based solely on the 40 time. People read into this crap way too much.

“We honestly don’t touch our board much after the combine,” Grigson said. “I feel that is where big mistakes can be made because you are getting farther and farther away from your initial grade which was primarily off the game film, school visit and live look. Now we do add and move some guys here and there due to guys running terrible, or a player testing off the charts, or for medical reasons. For instance, there may be a WR everyone loved that you think runs 4.5 but runs 4.75 at Indy and you’re just not going to draft that guy realistically so you move him down or to your college free agent board. There’s always exceptions to the rule like Anquan Boldin but they are few and far between.”

Interesting to here that they don't change their board much after the combine. That means that as of right now the colts already have a good idea of who they want. That just makes me more pumped to see who they start bringing in for interviews and what pro days they go to.

"This guy may be the worst GM in the league. The Andrew Luck pick was a no brainer. This guy can’t evaluate NFL talent as evidenced by him trading a #1 for Trent Richardson (plus TR inflated salary) and over paying for a washed up Landry who had to cut as well.This team has zero talent on defense, zero talent on offense beside Luck and Ty Hilton (#2 type WR)"

This comment was probably the worst one I read out of all of them.  

1. Some GMs might have drafted RGIII over Luck, it was not entirely a no brainer 

2. They forgot to mention we traded a 2nd rounder for one of the best CBs in the NFL right now (Vontae Davis)

3. Zero Talent on Defense: Redding, Freeman, Jackson, Davis, and Adams are not zero talent 

4. Zero Talent on Offense: 16 TDs combined by Fleener and Allen, Moncrief had a good year, and Herron did a decent job, Bradshaw played very well (his problem is the injury and pot possession charge, if you look at his talent, he has a lot)

5. Hilton: 82 catches, 1,345 yards, 7 TDs / and he draws double teams and has to share targets with players like Moncrief, Herron, Allen, Fleener, and part of the time Nicks and Reggie

I know someone posted but this has a ton of peoples comments. I didn't realize the entire league hated us http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/17/colts-view-the-40-as-the-most-important-on-field-drill-at-the-combine/

Seriously,   don't ever worry about comments made by people after a story.    Just don't.    They're not worth it.

Those are minutes in your life you can't get back.    There are far more important things to worry about in your life.....

"This guy may be the worst GM in the league. The Andrew Luck pick was a no brainer. This guy can’t evaluate NFL talent as evidenced by him trading a #1 for Trent Richardson (plus TR inflated salary) and over paying for a washed up Landry who had to cut as well.This team has zero talent on defense, zero talent on offense beside Luck and Ty Hilton (#2 type WR)"

This comment was probably the worst one I read out of all of them.  

1. Some GMs might have drafted RGIII over Luck, it was not entirely a no brainer 

2. They forgot to mention we traded a 2nd rounder for one of the best CBs in the NFL right now (Vontae Davis)

3. Zero Talent on Defense: Redding, Freeman, Jackson, Davis, and Adams are not zero talent 

4. Zero Talent on Offense: 16 TDs combined by Fleener and Allen, Moncrief had a good year, and Herron did a decent job, Bradshaw played very well (his problem is the injury and pot possession charge, if you look at his talent, he has a lot)

5. Hilton: 82 catches, 1,345 yards, 7 TDs / and he draws double teams and has to share targets with players like Moncrief, Herron, Allen, Fleener, and part of the time Nicks and Reggie

Grigson has also said in the past that he almost likes it when a player does poorly on the 40-yrd dash, because it makes it easier to draft them, because other teams are put-off by bad 40 times. If a player is a great football player, whose only flaw is a bad 40, then I would have to agree.

Grigson has also said in the past that he almost likes it when a player does poorly on the 40-yrd dash, because it makes it easier to draft them, because other teams are put-off by bad 40 times. If a player is a great football player, whose only flaw is a bad 40, then I would have to agree.

And that fits in with what he said here. They use the 40 to help diagnose how other teams are going to rate a player.

Did they time Trich? Did they use a sundial?

I know it seems impossible now,  but once upon a time, TRich actually had good speed.

He had very good speed as a freshman and sophomore in college.

He had good speed as a junior and then he was drafted.

He had average to good speed his first year with Cleveland....

And then he came to Indy and it looked like he was running in cement shoes.    Aaaarrrggh!!       :HFire:  :panic:

Personally, I wouldn't lose any sleep over this because most of them either didn't read the article or have zero knowledge about the Colts. Somebody said that Polian drafted Vontae and someone else commented that Indy would go 0-16 without Luck. Even the year before they drafted Luck, they won two games so its completely asinine to insist they would lose more games despite having a better roster this time.

I know it seems impossible now,  but once upon a time, TRich actually had good speed.

He had very good speed as a freshman and sophomore in college.

He had good speed as a junior and then he was drafted.

He had average to good speed his first year with Cleveland....

And then he came to Indy and it looked like he was running in cement shoes.    Aaaarrrggh!!       :HFire:  :panic:

There are plays from Alabama where he clowns an entire defense. Here's a 76 yard TD run from his senior year. That guy was scouted as one of the best all around backs in the draft over the last 20 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HaGJaJOjQw

The Trent Richardson we've seen in Indy is like the "body snatchers" version of Trent Richardson. It's like the Monstars from Space Jam came and stole his talent. I do think he's playing too heavy (even early in 2014 he had some second gear pull away ability), and I think there's truth to the rumors that he doesn't work hard and isn't a good pro, but there's no question that he was a talented prospect coming out. He ran a sub 4.5 at his pro day, and I think that's legit when he's 225 or so. Not the 240 that it looks like he was by December of last season.

Seriously,   don't ever worry about comments made by people after a story.    Just don't.    They're not worth it.

Those are minutes in your life you can't get back.    There are far more important things to worry about in your life.....

I browse over them for the laugh factor. People are nuts, and soooo angry.

Everything GMs say at this time of year is some kind of attempted manipulation.

How can you take this article and correlate it to what you say? All Grigson was doing was giving a general idea what he looks for at the combine in a player. I think we all know the GMs want to keep to themselves as far as players go but this don't seem to be a part of that.

Interesting to here that they don't change their board much after the combine. That means that as of right now the colts already have a good idea of who they want. That just makes me more pumped to see who they start bringing in for interviews and what pro days they go to.

I would have to go back and look, but if I remember correctly there did not seem to be much correlation with who the Colts were reported to be talking to, showing interest in, etc ... and who we ended up drafting.  

There are plays from Alabama where he clowns an entire defense. Here's a 76 yard TD run from his senior year. That guy was scouted as one of the best all around backs in the draft over the last 20 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HaGJaJOjQw

The Trent Richardson we've seen in Indy is like the "body snatchers" version of Trent Richardson. It's like the Monstars from Space Jam came and stole his talent. I do think he's playing too heavy (even early in 2014 he had some second gear pull away ability), and I think there's truth to the rumors that he doesn't work hard and isn't a good pro, but there's no question that he was a talented prospect coming out. He ran a sub 4.5 at his pro day, and I think that's legit when he's 225 or so. Not the 240 that it looks like he was by December of last season.

He looks slow even on that play I think, Chugging along, The reality on that play for me is that if any one of them 3 defenders make a respectable attempt at a tackle he comes away with a 3-4 loss (The tackling  attempts on that play I literally think a fan from the stands could have done provided they were the average height and weight of a man.....That's how horrendous that tackling was)

Grigson is slowly being exposed for what he is .

Sadly , it'll be die-hard Colts fans that 'll be the last to know .

Yeah.....  a guy who tore down an aging and expensive and non-productive roster and completely rebuilt it on the fly.

Year One:   Wins 11 games with a rookie quarterback and a roster built on an $80 mill payroll and $40 Mill in Dead Cap money.

Year Two:   Wins 11 games plus a playoff game.

Year Three:  Wins 11 games plus two playoff games before losing in the AFC Championship.

"Exposed for what he is?"    

If you ever want to be taken seriously around here,  please think before you post something like this again.

Otherwise,  out comes the troll label for you.....

I hope people realize how much journalism has degraded over the years leading into the internet era...

This is a text book case of taking quotes out of concept to spin an article where there is no story to be had otherwise.

Please people, don't believe everything you read now-a-days... and if you want to believe so badly then do the research yourself.

I wish I could get paid to lie to the faceless masses by taking someone else's work... taking it out of context... and adding a paragraph of my own thoughts on the matter to send the message home. Big money there!